Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My rich-rear end company wants to buy a bunch of flatscreens to put on the walls in portrait, exclusively to show performance metric Excel sheets (gets the sales guys pumped, yawn to me though). Currently they're using some fuckin' gigantic 70"-ish 1080p screens.

Would it be worthwhile for me to try for something like 55" 4K? Seems like I could fit more legible information with them. If so any recommendations for something cheap with maybe a decent warranty?

I think this is my top pick so far: http://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Class-Smart-Ultra-55T880UW/dp/B00H6XYKWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm with you but this is a startup, they're prioritizing workplace morale over charity at the moment.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Excel scales horribly, I don't think it would look nice.

It is decent enough on the 1080p TVs we already have, I'm just thinking with 4k I could fit 4 times the data with the same clarity when they walk up to inspect.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I want 4K. Now. I see the Vizio 50" at Futureshop for 929, seems like I cant go wrong.

I went and got four of the $800 55-inch HiSense 4K I linked, I'll let people know how those are.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I have a spending problem. I have a 42" but looking to go up in size. Any reason I should not get this? It seems like the smart features are actually worthwhile. But in the end yeah a roku or amazon stick is probably the best bet. I assume a new one of both is around the corner.

50" Samsung UN50H6350 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV $599 + Free Shipping

I'd just get the Roku and move your couch closer to the TV or vice versa.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

So my tax money arrived this week and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

I've picked out a VIZIO M652i-B2 65-Inch and this mount.

However, after looking into the specs and seeing only 720p runs at 240hz I am having reservations. I watch a lot of movies and do some pc gaming on my tv currently. The price of the Vizio is about right for my budget, with a bit of wiggle room if something really great is out there. Is it worth looking for something around 60in and 240hz in 1080p or will there be little to no difference? Open to other recommendations but I really want a set at 60+ inches.

My viewing distance is something like ~6ft.

60-120 is plenty for 1080p. Most people don't have a graphics card that can push past 60-120 on modern non-indie titles.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EvilElmo posted:

Goddamn it, my 3 year old Panasonic TH-P50GT30A just crapped itself. Google tells me 7 flashing lights = power supply. Cost me $1k to buy, quoted $560 to repair. That's unlikely to happen.

So, new TV time. Seems Plasma TV's have gone out of fashion.

*sigh*

There are no sales :'( worst time to shop for a TV right now.

If you wanna take out the power supply and mail it, these guys say they'll repair it for $68. Pay on eBay with your credit card through Paypal so just in case they get screwy you can do a chargeback:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-T...=item2a483bf54d]

I've actually done something like this for a loose phone jack and got the thing back fixed, so hey, works sometimes!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I want a cheap 4K TV to mostly watch 1080p stuff but occasionally do poo poo like stream House of Cards Season 3 at 4k or maybe play Dark Souls with my GTX 970 at 4K. The couch is only like 10 feet away right now because my roommates only have a 32" 720p.

Which should I get?

$340 http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00DOPGO2G

$450 plus sales tax: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-U500CV-UMK-49-4K-Ultra-HD-60Hz-Class-LED-HDTV/39664946

First one can only hit 30hz at 4K so no gaming, but super cheap and good reviews, if it sucks I gottta return to Amazon.

Second one can do 60hz at 4K, and bigger, but questionable reviews and more expensive. If it sucks I gotta drive it to Walmart.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I wound up saying "eh, gently caress it" on the 4K, and got a 48-inch 1080p yesterday from Dell :http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7525020&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

$450 free shipping, and it comes with a $150 Dell Promo Gift Card, and I used Dell Advantage for another 5% gift card ($22) and 4% on MrRebates and 1% on my credit card ($22)

So effectively about $280 since I know how to dump the Dell cards for money pretty well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just snagged a 55" 1080p Hisense IPS from Microcenter... it was a refurbished model, and it was an open box return that was marked down even further. Wound up being $340 plus tax. Remote is busted but I can get that RMAed and my phone has an IR Blaster so that works in the meantime.

For people who live near a Microcenter it is worth checking for Open Box like that. Plus they're very good about returns.

Edit: Also, the text from my laptop looked fuzzy to me until I turned the sharpness down to 0, now it seems pixel-perfect. Should I be doing anything else with the settings?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 1, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm seeing there's 70-inch 1080p Visio's on Amazon for $1000. Any brand that has 80-90" seems to get exponentially more expensive though. Are there 80-90" screens in the $1k to $3k range? They could be poo poo quality, I only need them so we don't have to dick with projectors in a couple spots at work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone know about really long, heavy duty swing arms for a TV? I got a bunch of 65" panels for work and we're going to be mounting them to show for meetings in a big hallway and then swing them out of the way after. Nothing on Amazon seems to fit the bill.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The 65LB5200 you linked is $850 on Dell.com and includes a $200 Dell gift card (and if you sign up for Dell advantage you get free shipping and another gift card for 5% of $850, and yet another 5% if you use a cash back click through site or Discover card cash back).

So, buy it there and you can get something else from Dell like a $200 GTX 960 graphics card or a solid state drive or a discounted PS4 or something.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 31, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Where are you seeing the $200 GC? Do other televisions qualify?

E: Contacted Dell Support. Here is the link to the televisions with deals: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=tv-deals&~ck=mn

Oh, I guess they ditched the $200 card on the 65" model as of yesterday. I snagged one and had it go through.

Always a good idea to keep an eye on those, some are incredibly good deals if you're prepared to spend or eBay the promo codes, some not so great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've bought dozens of flatscreens for my office, but now they're opening a branch in Canada and are asking me to find them some deals there. I tried going on eBay.ca and searching for TVs being sold within Canada (so we'd bypass any kind of customs issues) and the search turns up absolutely nothing. What's up with that? Should I just try to use Amazon.ca or something else instead?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Yossarian posted:

I doubt vizio is dumping 1080p? I would assume they sell orders of magnitude more 1080p then 4k

Yeah I doubt they'll never stop making 1080p panels. For example Vizio makes an 80" 4K panel. If one of the panels they makes comes out hosed up on one corner of it, do you think they're going to throw it away or just laser-cut the panel down to three perfectly good 40" 1080p panels?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

So what is the deal with curved TVs? How is that an advantage?

It's not, it's a gimmick to sell them for an extra grand.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Ripping my hair out here with my first world problems. I have an LG 65" OLED B7, I'm running a Monoprice optical HDMI cable to it from my PC's 1080ti card.

It says the Monoprice optical cable supports 4K HDR at 60hz, 4:4:4

I am trying to test it with a clip from Planet Earth that is 4K, 10-bit HDR, HEVC

a) If I use MPC-HC x64, the content is not displayed in HDR.

b) If I use VLC, the content is not displayed in HDR, and it can't even play the HEVC without artifacting because it apparently doesn't understand the concept of hardware decoding

c) If I use the built-in Windows 10 "Movies and TV" app, it actually does play in both HEVC and HDR, and looks amazing on the TV, but it stutters every couple seconds. It only stutters when the playback window is on my TV. If I drag the window back over to my non-HDR pc monitors and hit play, it plays smoothly.

What the hell is going on? I'm soo close damnit. Either Monoprice is lying about the bandwidth that the cable can actually handle, or something about the PC/GPU/player doesn't like being displayed on the HDR TV as much as it does the PC monitor.

Edit: Oh hey! I finally figured it out. I have to unplug my monitor. If only the TV is plugged in to the PC is plays perfectly smooth, if the TV and monitor are plugged in with the mouse turned off it also plays smooth, but the moment I turn on the mouse and move the cursor around on the PC monitor, the TV's smoothness goes to poo poo. Fascinating!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 29, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to buy a whole bunch of replacement feet from LG? We made a video wall a few years back for work, now we upgraded the TVs, so we have nine 55" LG televisions and apparently tossed out the feet for them. I can find a pair or two on eBay, and http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video-accessories has a bunch of wall mounts and remotes, but no feet.

Maybe someone knows a warehouse that stocks them or something?

Edit: Hmm, maybe I'll get a bunch of these, can't go wrong for $15 each: https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Universal-Screen-Table-STAND-TV00Y/dp/B01N0VNIA9/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 3, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe you'll see the mainstream model (C8 rather than the B8 as that one has been gimped a bit) in the spring with the rest of the lineup in time for the world cup in the summer.

How has it been gimped? I got the B7 and there's nothing gimpy about this thing, has the same panel as the C7 and doesn't seem to be missing anything that I can notice. From reading it sounds like the C7 can do 4K 120fps, but that would look horrible for movies and no GPU would drive that for games, so I don't really see the point.

I'm loving the B7 though, it was really hard to get HDR from my PC working, but once I did, poo poo like Planet Earth 2 became super impressive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Would black frame insertion help a ton with OLED burn in?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

homeless posted:

Can't argue with either post. I started catching up with TVs in July, and spent far too much time watching for the right deal. Mostly hoping Costco would come down to the $2k price point. Ordered the C7 from Buydig (Beach Camera), $2050 out the door. The B7 is $2099, guy on the phone mentioned the E7 but I didn't bother asking the price.

I never knew Buydig was Beach Camera... I've bought motherboards from Buydig before. Beach Camera has passed off used broadcasting hardware on me as new and I'm not the only one.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Remember if you have a Citi Double Cash card, they have their own price match up to $500.

I got a 65" B7 on Black Friday for $2100, and got them to price match one of those bullshit bait-and-switch sites on the Google Shopping tab who advertises the TV for $1600 (I think it was TVsuperstores.com or something). Plenty on Slick Deals have all pulled it off without a hitch too, you just get a nice $500 back on your card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there any particularly good material to watch that shows off HDR? I have Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 as well as the second season of the Grand Tour. Anything else people can recommend?

Blu Ray of Mad Max Fury Road is in 4K HDR and looks pretty dope.

Also on YouTube, there's like hours or 4K HDR aquarium footage which is nice to run as background for parties and stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, was that not what I said?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I got $500 back with Citi Double Cash on a B7 which is hosed up because they denied price matching me $100 on a laptop that was legitimate, because the SKU was slightly different with same spec or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I mean LG B7 Oleds are not crazy expensive (I actually pulled off a 65" for $1500 by exploiting a credit card price match) and when you actually have 4K HDR running on it like Planet Earth 2, then yeah I think it's the best picture for the buck, that stuff looks literally astonishing which I can't say for any other TV gimmick in the last 30 years. My mom is asking me to sell it on Craigslist because it's "too big" for the living room though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

Pretty hilarious drawbacks but I guess someone had to be first.

And the drawbacks of being like $15000 or something, and not being able to tell the difference if you're not 8 inches from the TV lol

edit: I feel like now that we have 4K HDR OLED, the only way for the TV industry to go any further is to groom morons into an "audiophile" belief system where people think they can really "feel" the pixels if they go to 8k or 16k at couch distance. You know, like how an audiophile's ears are superior to the plebs and diminishing returns don't apply to them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 21, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I always did wonder about that... LEDs... even tons of them, are dirt cheap, right? There's those giant billboards and stadium jumbotrons that are made out of RGB LED arrays too... at what point/size would it become affordable to make a giant TV, like 100-inch or something, out of surface-mount tiny LEDs instead of LCD/OLED?

Edit: Oh, apparently it's an emerging thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLED

https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2018/01/10/samsung-presents-146in-modular-microled-tv-at-ces-2018/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 25, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

At the kind of price range that's going to end up at, you're looking at super high-end projector cost anyway. Hell, a short-throw Sony 4k projector is "only" $25k or so.

Dell actually has a 4K HDR 5000-lumen short throw laser projector for $5000 and I've seen it come with $500 gift card: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-advanced-4k-laser-projector-s718ql/apd/210-amtg/projectors-projector-accessories/overview

It has input lag and rainbow effect but it's still far and away the best value for the specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiP-b0jfHc

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

eddiewalker posted:

I have an active antenna screwed to the side of my deck. It's got a little DC power injector that I have behind my TV, inline with the coax.

Is there any way to split that antenna out under the deck to feed to a second TV, or will I be back-feeding voltage or something?

That will work fine, I've built those sports-bar TV arrays with coax before and splitting to one additional TV will only drop the gain by a couple percent, you won't notice any difference.

edit: if you use a splitter and wind up with any unterminated ports, you can get some termination caps to screw into them for under a buck on eBay, not needed but it'll reduce interference

edit 2: other goon sounds knowledgeable but I still think it'll be fine, splitting it definitely doesn't halve your overall signal

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 6, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

At 6ft lengths. Dont trust anything without independent testing for long lengths.

I will personally vouch for the awesomeness of the Monoprice Optical 4K HDR HDMI cables. They are pricey (start at $159 for the 50-foot), but I have one that is a 75-foot run from my PC to my LG B7 Oled and it does 4K HDR flawlessly, and the wire is super small and strong so I hide it under the rug and it's fine having people step on the rug over it.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=21568

It has a 30-day money back, and a lifetime warranty, at least, so that helped me justify the price. Been using it for like 6 months or so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Speleothing posted:

Why the gently caress would anybody want 8k? Why would you want that level of detail? 4K is already excessive for anything under 60”. You’d need a 100” screen to benefit at all, and at that point should just buy a projector rather than worry about moving it around corners and staircases.

"But you can really feeeel the extra pixels, mannn"

- Some idiot HDTV hipster equivalent of an audiophile, probably

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cobalt Viper posted:

There's not even any 4K content yet. There very likely will NEVER be any 8K content.

There are 8k cameras, which means some rear end in a top hat will make hours of 8k fish tank footage, and YouTube will host it just to show off their bandwidth epeen like they do with 4k fish tank footage now, so that some other rear end in a top hat has an excuse to buy an 8k tv

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I think they stopped doing as many 3D movies in theaters because there's entire groups of people like my weekly movie crew where we actively avoid all 3D showings because the glasses make everything dark and clunky as poo poo, and they scam an extra $4 per ticket for what is overall a worse experience.

The only movie 3D I've ever actually appreciated was watching 3D SBS with Oculus Theater inside of a Gear VR headset. Mostly because the movie is at full brightness.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Variable 5 posted:

Several of us do.

I got a 65" B7 I'm trying to sell for $1500 because I got it for my Mom and she says it's intimidating huge and refuses to use it.

Great TV once you finally figure out how to get HDR working from a windows media server though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Why would anyone buy those Sony's when the LG B7 OLEDs are about the same price?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

My LG OLED poo poo the bed after having it for about 3 years. I probably don't want to spend 2k on a TV again because I only get a couple good years out of them.

Sounds like the budget models crap out too. What's a person to do?

In what way? It might be some capacitors on the power supply or some other relatively cheap fix that a local repair shop can handle.

Edit: For example, Samsung got a class action tossed at them a while back and they sent a guy to fix my TV even though it was 4 years out of warranty.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 19, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Still never never never never never any excuse to buy a loving $1000+ TV and not get the god drat $99 warranty.

They wouldn't offer the warranty in the first place if it wasn't statistically in their favor, that's how insurance works. By definition you can't buy warranties without ripping yourself off dollar by dollar over time.

OLED might be the only exception, because near the end of the warranty you can just leave them on a static screen 24/7 to self-destruct the panel and get a refund. LG has kinda buried the whole burn-in/burn-out thing and warranty providers aren't wise to it.

Only warranty I've ever gone for was accidental protection on a laptop I was giving to some kids in a psychiatric ward. Sure enough they smashed it to bits in 4 months and Microcenter cut me a check for the total with no hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Only warranty that seems to cover burn in is the Magnolia warranty and you pay quite a bit for that one.

Well in that case probably better to put all your money in a "money I would have spent on warranties" account and odds are you'll have enough in there to cover when things break. I removed accident protection from our 500 cell phones at work and it saved a stupid amount in the last 3 years, so much that I can keep a box of iPhones ready to go for the once a month when someone cracks one, and still have thousands left over.