Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My TV will actually change refresh rates if the source asks it to. If I feed it 24p it uses 48hz and puts up a black frame every other cycle to simulate flicker from a projector. It sounds annoying but it makes watching movies feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
What's the word on connecting an HDR TV to a PC? Is there any support at all?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'd like to view photos I take with more range. I know I won't be able to process them properly like that because no one else will see them the same. I'd also use whatever streaming services support HDR if they have a PC app that also supports it etc.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Oh that's lame. Thanks for the answers. I already have a good monitor for color work. The contrast ratios must be better on an HDR TV though, right?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Apparently it can be done. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt742103(v=vs.85).aspx

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I saw a few companies made 21:9 TVs but then stopped. Makes me sad they didn't take off.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I've been watching the prices on 4K HDR TVs for a little while and now I'm interested in the content. I live in Canada so I think it's Netflix and maybe Amazon and that's it? Is there a place that reviews blu ray disks for 4k content? I don't have a blu ray player but I guess I'd get one if there were a few movies that were really good and also had a good 4k HDR version.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks man, gives me more reading to do while I save up. :)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

X930E occupies a narrower niche simply because it's going to have the same pricepoints as LG's OLED sets (except in the >65" range where LG becomes super pricey.) This is an edge lit display, but it actually has more dimming zones than the FALD X900e. You are basically trading halos for vertical streaks. This adds Dolby vision and has the same great motion processing as the 900e as well as AndroidTV. This set is capable of hitting 1000 nits so it's a great pair for HDR10 content. I would go with this TV if you want a size greater than 65" and have a decent budget or if you are watching a lot of HDR content in brighter rooms.

Apparently the X930E doesn't have vertical bands from backlight dimming due to a clever design.

rtings.com posted:

The X900E and X940E have full array local dimming. The X930E is edge lit but has multiple backlight layers that guide the light to different zones, and it actually has better local dimming than the X900E's full array. The X850E and X800E do not have local dimming.

They give the Vizio P65-C1 a good review if you watch movies in the dark. It's on sale at Costco in Canada for $2,200, $600 off. I was thinking about it but I still like my plasma TV and I'm going to wait for more HDR content and more mature HDR TVs.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 30, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I had the itch for a new TV so I started looking at reviews and stuff. I like a lot of the features the Sony TVs have, like the motion handling and black frame insertion. I'm not a fan of LCD displays though and can't afford the OLED ones yet. Future looks pretty bright for high end TVs though if the Sony OLEDs come with all the fancy features their LCD models do.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The 2017 LG OLED TVs are coming out now. You can already buy some of them, but they cost a whole lot more as they are brand new and the old ones are discounted. I don't think they enough better to be worth the price premium, but by the end of the year I'd expect all the 2016 models to be sold already. I could be wrong though. I'm trying to convince myself I need the 55" B6 as a computer monitor while they are on sale and available.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e

The Sony OLED TV is top of the line and priced accordingly. It uses the screen as the speaker and sounds good for a TV but who spends this kind of money and doesn't get a sound system? Sony used their image processing to get better motion handling and it had black frame insertion which dims the picture but reduces the jerkiness of motion by only displaying the image for half the time of the LG. I use this feature on my plasma TV and it's something I'd like to have. No way I can afford to buy this TV any time soon but it does give me something to save for when my current TV dies. Hopefully OLED comes down in price and takes over everything but the bottom of the barrel TV segments over the next few years.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It's not that. There is no such thing as a reliable brand anymore. TVs aren't built to last. Sure, some do last but there is no way to know which ones will.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Costco has the 75" Vizio P $1000 off in Canada right now.

I almost wish I was irresponsible enough to jump on it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I'm eager to upgrade, but I have the following constraints with selecting a new TV:

Display must be 49-52" maximum to fit space limitations (rules out OLED as far as I know)

Must have wide viewing angle for sports/movie parties at my house (rules out VA panels)

Want a really good picture with good black levels (rules out IPS panels)

So what do I do? Please don't tell me this simple set of constraints puts me in some kind of market niche that will never be filled

Best you can do is one of the Sony IPS screens with local dimming.

Edit: Actually maybe I'm wrong. I can't find an IPS with local dimming, they all seem to be VA.

TomR fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 5, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Astro7x posted:

The OP feels incredibly out of date, so I'll just ask away.

Decided I want to add a 55 inch TV to my basement. Any recommendations?

I am not sure if I need HDR, but definitely want 4K.

The price range that I keep seeing is around $750, but I guess I'm willing to go up to a $1,000. I have Costco and Amazon Prime memberships.

I also game and plan on getting a PS4 Pro eventually. When I upgraded from my 2004 40" Samsung Plasma to my 47" LG 120Hz LED I noticed a big difference in input lag that I was not too happy about. It made playing Rock Band kind of difficult with the lag. I know I should be looking at input lag, but am I really going to get any better performance if I'm looking at something like playing Rock Band?

Anyway, some I've been looking at so far...

Best Buy - Samsung LED for $629
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5217300.p?skuId=5217300

CostCo - Samsung LED for $747
https://m.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.%22)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100350540.html

Amazon - Sony LED for $798
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWIEMSU/ref=psdc_6459737011_t1_B01M354IAF

I don't know what the differences from these aside from price TBH.

Samsung KU6300 http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
Samsung MU6300 http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6300
Sony 700D http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x700d

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Portfolio posted:

I'm in the market for a 40-43" TV. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Needs to have component input. Composite would be a nice bonus, but not required.

2) Would like it to have HDR. Doesn't necessarily need to be 4K, it seems rare to find one without the other, so I'm open to 4K.

3) Would like it to not be silver. Silver TVs are tacky as hell.

In terms of budget, I'm thinking about $600, but I'm flexible. Definitely no more than $1000, though. And, as the title notes, I'm in Canada — specifically, Vancouver — and local availability would be preferred.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

bewbies posted:

here's a 65" B6 for 2470 shipped, is there any reason not to pull the trigger on this?

Deals like this never ship to Canada. I'd save like $2000 if it did.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Vizio P is really good. The 55" is the one that is IPS, but keep in mind the IPS panel will have less contrast than the VA ones so most reviews of the P series will be talking about the VA model instead. Pretty much all TVs have bad sound.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The other day I was reading about a Visio 120" TV and I imagined it on my wall, it would be like 4 of the TV I have now. It would take up nearly the whole wall and I think I'd get used to it after a while.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
If you really wanted that look just get some wood trim and box in around your TV. Just don't block the vents or IR sensor for the remote. I guess you have to not suck at woodworking to make it not horrible looking too.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
HDR TV involves a wider range of brightness and colors than older TV standards, so backported support for an HDR standard probably involves taking the HDR picture and squishing it down to something the TV can display, rather than putting up an error message that says the TV doesn't know what to do with HDR signals. I doubt it would look better than standard TV on a TV that isn't capable of the wider values a proper HDR TV can display.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
LG B6 has an input lag of 71ms when in 4k 60hz 4:4:4 which is the mode you would want for a computer monitor. This is very high compared to a real monitor which is normally around 5ms to 10ms. You would notice this lag just moving the mouse. OLED screens also suffer burn in and static computer displays are worst case for this, though I don't know how much of a problem that is.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have a 60" Panasonic plasma and I had a chance to play with a new LG OLED set. Honestly for 1080p content the plasma is so close I'd be disappointed if I upgraded. The 4k HDR stuff looked really good though. None of the LCD TVs came close. I don't think I'll have one ever again.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It was the demo room of a smaller store. It was dimly lit. OLED was better sure, but no where near enough better than what I have to justify the cost. Remember a plasma display can have near perfect blacks and doesn't suffer from any viewing angle problems. They are both emissive display technologies.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Good for you. I don't think it's worth the money yet. Maybe when there is more HDR content.

Edit: I don't mean to sound like a dick. The store had the C7 for $1500 off so I thought I'd check it out. After reading about them online I was expecting to be blown away. I was not. I was pretty disappointed and it was a pretty big let down.

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 3, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
When the B6 was on super cheap I would have jumped on it if my plasma had died. If it died today I'd wait for the current OLEDs to go on sale, they are still $1000 more even on sale here.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Ha ha, amazing. I know a guy who bought two when they stopped making them. He uses one and has the other one put away for when the first one dies. I bet by the time it gives up TV tech will have moved on a looong way.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Rtings updated their 65" TV recommendations. Looks like a good list to me. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah you'd have to be insane to either store a plasma for later use or buy a NIB off ebay for OLED money.

I think you were dead on with that post bull3964.

Edit: I really hope the price of OLED sets comes down soon.
Vizio M65-E0 is $1600CAD
Sony 65X900E is $2700CAD
LG 65B7P is $5000CAD
also lol Samsung wants $4000 for a 65" QLED

TomR fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 4, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
When I first setup my TV I turned on 4:4:4 subsampling because I use a PC as my main media source and it made everything a little sharper. A while ago I did a basic calibration to set reference black and white so they don't get clipped. I watched Arrival and it has a lot of soft, low contrast scenes with grey blacks. I noticed some posterization in the smooth gradients, which this movie has a lot of due to it's look. It wasn't bad enough that I thought there was a problem, just a limitation of the media or TV. But I loved the movie so I got a bunch more test patterns and tried to get everything perfect. One pattern is a smooth black to white ramp and I could see blocks in it where the step from one value to the next was bigger and it stood out. After lots of fiddling I turned off 4:4:4 subsampling and the ramps became smooth. I had turned sharpening all the way down before so I turned it up a bit to compensate for the lost sharpness. Rewatched Arrival and the mild posterization was gone.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The boards on the wall could have been part of a French cleat. You'll need to make matching boards and screw them to plywood and mount the TV to that if they are.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Early LG B6P trip report. Picked up a 55" floor model for $2400 CDN. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever looked at, despite not having viewed any 4K content yet (TV and internet services are being hooked up next week). I've watched Mad Max Fury Road twice because of how glorious every moment is. I've been using it as a monitor and have had zero burn issues. Lag is...noticeable. Next week I'll get Rocket League and Street Fighter up and running and we'll see how bad that is. But overall: wowowweewow

When you can connect the TV to the internet make sure it's firmware is up to date. If it's old the latest firmware will improve lag.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Why are they mixing metric and imperial measurements? That's just dirty.

I don't know anything about projectors, but at my kid's school they have upside down short throw projectors on a little arm that comes off the screen they use instead of chalkboards. It looks really goofy to have the projector low and close to the screen in a way that a projector sitting on a bench in front of the screen wouldn't.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Same with me. TV apps play through the receiver. Speaking of TV audio a while ago I turned my receiver off and listened to the built in speakers and it was so horrible I couldn't believe it. It was barely usable.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
LG 55-Inch B7A OLED 4K HDR Smart TV on Massdrop for $1600 free shipping in US.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-55-b7-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv?utm_source=linkshare&referer=L253GG

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Now the 65" OLED TV is on for $2600 https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-65-inch-b7a-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv?utm_source=linkshare&referer=L253GG

Too bad they won't ship to Canada.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Sometimes 60hz is the max refresh rate, but the TV can also operate at 48hz showing each frame twice for 24hz playback.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

I know you all hate me and the soap opera effect but help me out here. I know the Vizio M comes recommended, rtings says it doesn't have motion interpolation. It does have "clear action" or some poo poo and I know it's all marketing jargon but can that produce the soap opera effect at all?

Clear action makes the TV flicker like a movie projector. It is like the opposite of motion interpolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The Sony TVs are very good and get a lot brighter than the LG OLED TVs. Depending on how you watch either one could be better for you.