Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

ilovemyducks posted:

Anything in particular I should be aware of for the Vizio M471i-A2 47-Inch TV? Seems pretty decent for the price. http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M551d-A...ords=television

I wouldn't be using any of the Smart TV features, which seem poorly implemented.

You should wait for the 2014 models of the M series. The 49" model will be 699 retail price and have full array backlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Do you know when we'll see them?

I believe last year's m series started becoming available in late April, so it will be sometime from now until may most likely. I'm guessing somewhat soon since most of the current stock is drying up and not getting replenished.

Vizio is always somewhat nebulous on their releases for some reason, their 2014 e series just randomly popped up one day on amazon.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Oh, good; i'm glad I wasn't too far off on my estimate :)

Looking forward to seeing how these fare with off-angle viewing too, since they have double the led zones of the e series

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

The e series has 12 and 16 depending on size I believe. I know 55" has 12 and some other size has 16.

Just noticed the 42" only has 14 zones, I had though all their m series had 32 zones. It appears that the m-series just goes "up to" 32: http://ces.vizio.com/m-series.html

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

I know, awesome call :).

So based on what I'm reading in this sub forum, I'm kinda waffling on getting an M series. I think an E series seems perfectly serviceable with a $200 discount (that I could spend on a sound bar). Besides viewing angle (which won't matter to me since my apt is tiny), are there any other really compelling reasons to buy an M over an E?

I'm looking for a tv in the 40" range.

Main differences are 6 versus 14 led zones on the 42, the e series is 60hz panel with software 120hz while the m series is a true 120hz panel and the m series has the active pixel tuning (some sort of per-pixel software contrast tuning to go with the active dimming). If you're unsure you may just want to wait until you can see them side by side in store to see, as nobody has really seen the m's yet.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

kri kri posted:

Looking for a tv for my girlfriends place to use with a ps4/chromecast. I would much prefer to get it at costco, opinions on these sets? I don't know anything about JVC but this seems like a good deal.

JVC EM55FTR - http://www.costco.com/.product.100103365.html

Vizio E480i-B2 - http://www.costco.com/Vizio-48%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-E480i-B2.product.100100168.html

JVC is made by amtran, which I believe also makes some of Vizio's TVs (and part owner of Vizio, too). You lose local dimming and full array led for a direct lit led panel, but it will probably be decent enough if you just want a tv to watch stuff on. Neither are actually 120hz, but 60hz panels with backlight blanking to imitate 120hz panel refresh. The JVC comes with a roku stick, while vizio is a full smart tv.

They do have the 55" e series there for about 100 more than the jvc, though.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

kri kri posted:

I don't mean this as a call out, but how do you know this? From all the places I am looking online this is a 120hz panel.

Also looked at some of the E series sets at costco last night, really don't like the tv stands, at least the floor models were very wobbly.

Looked at the 55" M series and if I can stretch the budget I think I'll get that one.

They all say "effective" refresh rate. If that word is ever used, that means that it's not actually that rate until they do something to make it that. It's better than standard 60hz but it is not going to give you the motion resolution of a true 120hz panel. CNet's review does detail this:

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-e550i-b2/ posted:

The majority of 39-inch and larger members of the E series, including all of the ones with local dimming, have what Vizio cals a "120Hz effective refresh rate." Like many such ostensible improvements it doesn't indicate the same kind of picture quality found on traditional 120Hz TVs.

Most obviously, all of the E series lack any kind of smoothing/dejudder processing. You might not like the so-called Soap Opera Effect such smoothing induces, but with most other 120Hz TVs it's an option you can turn on or off. With the E series, it's simply not available.

In addition, none of the E series can match the motion resolution of traditional 120Hz TVs. The 42-inch version I tested is no better than 60Hz sets in this department. The 48-inch and larger models have a "Clear Action 180," which improves motion resolution slightly (if you turn it on), although still not to the the level I expect. See "Video processing" below for details.

If you want a true 120hz panel from vizio, you need to step up to the m series.

edit:

▼▼▼ Ha, too slow!

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Someone tell me if I'm an idiot for spending $1800 please. Looking at the Sony 70" W850B.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=7049074&sku=EMSNKDL70W850B&omid=200&ref=cj

3D isn't all that important to me, but it seems to come on the nicer TVs, so it's a nice extra I guess. I give 0 shits about smart TV at all though, I use other devices for streaming, etc.

I just want a nice looking picture and something in the 65-70 inch range. I've never spent more than $1000 on a TV so I'm nervous.

Is this going to make me happy? Anything else I should look at in the price range? $1800 is about my top limit.

It's a pretty good TV, especially considering the size and price. You've only got really two other options against the Sony, and it's a Sharp LC-70EQ10U (or last years LC-70LE650U) or a Vizio M702i-B3. I think the Sony is a good bet, though; you get a good matte screen and black levels along with decent uniformity for an edge lit, in exchange for some dimmer brights and off angle image shift. Neither of the other two have 3D, either.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

ddogflex posted:

I was looking at the E-series Vizio, then talked myself into the M-series Vizio, but when I saw the Sony for the same price it pushed me that way. This sounds stupid, but I think the Sharps just look cheap, which I didn't really want dominating my living room.

Now I'm super paranoid it's going to be too big for 1080p. Not that 4K is a realistic option being as there is no content. I do sit fairly far away from my TV, over 10'. But I feel like it still might look blurry from that distance? Yay buyers remorse before even receiving something.

You're not going to be having any issues with 1080p at 10' or more, and I would also recommend against the Sharp. Both the Vizio M series and the Sony w850b are good choices, and you'll be happy with either.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Fall is a bad time to launch a new TV because you are only going to be 3-4 months away from the 2015 TV announcements and all those sets will have a year's worth of R&D on you.

I applaud Vizio's ambition, but it seems as if they would have been better off teasing the P and R series as a future product without a 2014 release and then launching them in March/April as a 2015 TV.

Why would vizio stop R&D on the P series at the end of last year? I'm going to guess the reason it's not out yet is because they are still working on the product, not because they are sitting on their hands.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Yeah, I saw someone with a 770 verify that, and there's definitely a guy with a 980 that can. It seems to show that it can do 4k60hz.

What the avs forum people seem to be flipping out about is that hdcp 2.2 is limiting the ability to do 4k60 at full 4:4:4. You might not even notice that it's doing that.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1689258-official-2014-vizio-p-series-owner-s-thread-70.html#post27770905

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Also, in regards to VA vs IPS I personally wouldn't think there's really any reason to want an IPS panel in a FALD set. The LEDs in the backlight are going to give drastic halo and bloom at angles much less than the point where a VA panel will start distorting the colors significantly. You will however notice the increased native contrast much more.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Probably either the Samsung UN40H6350, Vizio M422i-B1, or the LG 42LB6300. Funnily, that size range is the "small" size area so only mid tier models are available now for that.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

BGrifter posted:

I was eyeing the Vizio M422i-B1 at Best Buy. How would that handle PS4 gaming? It'd mostly be used for gaming and football/hockey with a bit of Netflix mixed in.

Edit: It was either that or a 50" Vizio e500i-B1 for $50 more.

With gaming mode enabled I believe the M series does fine. The E series is going to just have slightly lower number of dimming zones as well as no "active pixel tuning" on the model,

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Looking at the Best Buy website it says the M422i-B1 doesn't include gaming mode. At a glance Vizio's website doesn't say one way or the other.

http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M422iB1/UM_M422iB1.pdf Has a section saying one of the picture modes is "Game Mode".

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Jose posted:

None of these appear to be sold in the UK. Is there much difference between the Samsung UN40H models? Most of the ones on amazon appear to be 3D which I don't really care about. I do plan on buying a PS4 at some point which will be the TV's main use

I don't know a ton about the european models, but generally the 6300+ model numbers are the slim led versions and below that is the fatter direct lit led model with less features. 6400+ typically adds local(ish) dimming and 7000+ has real clear panel technology. As you step up they also increase the hz to 120 then 240z and add higher CMR (typically screen blanking to increase the perceived motion clarity), add 3d somewhere along the line and add more inputs. Your closest analogue is probably the h6200 or h6400.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Bunk Rogers posted:

Hooked up my P-series last night. Its glorious.

I do notice a fair amount of bloom when white letters/patterns display on the black background. Is that to be expected or something to worry about?

What size? The 55 may have a bit more blooming since it's IPS. You should also change your brightness setting to 51, for some reason vizio still has some weird issue with settings 52 and higher on brightness that causes the backlight to go nuts. Otherwise, there is a limit to the local dimming since there's only 64 individual zones for the whole tv so it can't completely dim down to the letter level. Will either need plasma or OLED to get rid of it entirely.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Bunk Rogers posted:

Awesome, thank you.

By the way, how is the overall picture on the 65p? Is off axis viewing still decent?

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Here is the 60" on rtings, Viewing angles were pretty terrible.
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

Yeah but that's a Sharp VA panel. Wondering if the AUO VA panels exhibit any different color shift, although they seem to say it's a great TV overall.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

A Sony is probably still going to have better picture quality.

The vizio will have 4k and full array local dimming backlighting while the sony will have 1080p and edge lit backlighting. I would argue that it's extremely hard to compete against FALD when it comes to image quality, though both look great. Both have good input lag and work well for gaming. You lose 3d when going to the Vizio.

I believe they even use the same panel manufacturer and pixel structure (Sharp VA).

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

LG's webOS interface is by far my favorite, but i'm not a fan of their screen uniformity on the edgelit sets. I am waiting for 65"+ oled sets to come down to earth, but when that comes it'll probably be LG. Mostly because they're the only one making them now :haw:

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

I should note, i mainly returned it because of the 8500 plasma getting so cheap. Any other issues i had with it would probably be corrected in firmware (except the red calibration error). If i was gonna have an LCD id probably rebuy the P series.

I also ended up getting the 65" P series. Besides some dirty screen effect (which seems more and more impossible to avoid on LCDs now) the screen is the best bang-for-your-buck that I have seen. Local dimming works wonderfully and the overall PQ is much higher than my 4 year old FALD.

It really boils down to if you have a fairly light-controlled room and if you want 4k. My room is too bright for plasma otherwise i'd be tempted to get the F8500 too. Otherwise, this TV seems to be the closest thing i've seen (aside from the 5k+ tvs) to getting similar PQ with the versatility of LCD and future 4k content. I also personally don't care about 3d content until they have glasses-free 3d tvs available.

The off-axis viewing angles are what you expect from VA panels, but nobody but me has even noticed it so I just sit front and center when watching stuff. I was surprised how much better blooming is handled on thes sets.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

How's the interface latency?

It's better than I thought it was going to be. Fairly responsive and actually like 30-60 fps. Netflix is very quick, too.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

At that size i'd totally go OLED too over 4k; it has all of the perks of an emissive display (uniformity, motion, viewing angles) and all of the advantages of an LCD (no need for a glass layer, bright room performance, perfect blacks like FALD) rolled into one. You can find the 2014 55" for a little over 3 grand and the 2013 for under 3 grand now.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

sellouts posted:

I wish 65" OLEDs would become dramatically lower, because that LG 55" is spectacular.

It'll be probably 2-3 years before they'll be below 3k. But by then you'll have to decide between OLED 4k and OLED glasses free 3d!

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What's "micro dimming" on a LED-lit LCD? Is it just some ploy to make it sound like the TV has local dimming?

Micro Dimming is a software feature from Samsung that alters the contrast settings (but NOT the LED backlighting) on specific zones of the tv based on the coloring/content that is present there to make it look like it is enhancing the blacks of the screen. They often couple this with global LED dimming to make the entire screen's illumination darker when it detects that the picture is either completely black or very dark.

It's not a very good replacement for true local dimming, plasma or OLED, as it's just software mucking with contrast ratios of the image going to your screen. Some people may like it though.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Oh, well if he wants to blow money frivolously he should have tons of options.

The vizio p series and the lg ub9200 in his list is going to be about the same as the sony (1999 for the vizio, 1958 for the lg and 1799 for the sony on amazon right now) and they all provide very good picture quality.

The sony may have issues with radial banding, general screen uniformity on the lg and some vertical banding on the vizio (not much that i've seen on the 70). Only the vizio is full array.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 28, 2015

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Surely you don't think they're going to keep streaming at 6mbps forever?

Just in the past few days the FCC revamped their definitions of broadband to be a minimum of 25 mbps, partly because Netflix said they want to stream at that speed.

I've been streaming through netflix with h.265 at 16 megabit for the new 4k content they have and it looks amazing.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

All the 900 series nvidia have the hdmi 2.0 on them too. 960 is a good deal for going that route, now

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Man, who the gently caress even thinks that and goes "yeah, that's what they would want" let alone not even telling you

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I'm super worried because the only thing I've read about Vizio support is how terrible they are. It seems like a relatively common problem and I was hoping someone knew more than "Call Vizio".

Is it only when watching a specific thing (a certain app or tv only)? It's possibly they have a lovely buggy app that's causing the TV to crash. I've seen some issues with that. Even then I would contact their customer support to see what can be done.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

1997 posted:

If you can't tell just by looking then LOL

That's more of a dig at the current state of 4k

A lot of the content isn't even mastered in 4k right now, but just having a 15-20mbit h265 stream makes the video look at least as good as a bluray does. I'm waiting to see how much of a difference 4k bluray makes to have a truly good comparison of quality.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

Oh wow I hadn't thought about that. Will I have to get something super high end to do 120hz at 4K?

This would require a display with displayport 1.3, which there are none of yet (that I know of). They may be out later this year, though.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

So if I get 4k I have to watch it in ultra slow mo 60hz? I guess I'll do something else with my money for now like pay some bills or something stupid like that

The panels themselves are still typically 120hz or 240hz so you get the inherent benefits of motion resolution and proper pulldown. But these are generally media consumption devices; all of the outputs are geared towards consoles and media players which typically won't output more than 60fps.

BonoMan posted:

Even then I think you have to have hdmi 2.0 which still isn't widely proliferated.

Most of the mainstream tvs from last year do have hdmi 2.0, the only lovely thing is the bandwidth limitation on current hdcp 2.2 chipsets that prevents full chroma at 4k too.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

The 6350 is a good midrange set. You won't be disappointed by it.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

The only Vizio P-Series drawback is 4:4:2 chroma at 4k. The panel and colors aren't as good as other 4k sets but it's much more affordable.

This is just simply unnecessary for anyone not using this TV as a monitor. All programming you watch is not in 4:4:4 chroma because it is one of the first things compressed in video streams.

The panel quality on the P series is absolutely significantly superior to the M series. I own both.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Yeah, I don't get how it's an echo chamber effect going on here. 4K has obvious drawbacks to it but the vast majority of the current gen panels are not inferior to the 1080p panels in terms of image quality. The only time I have seen it recommended to step back down to the 1080p in terms of PQ would be going to the h7100 from the hu8550, and even then the 8550 is a well regarded set.

The vizio isn't the only game in town and based on what the person is in we're gonna recommend different sets. He specifically asked about vizio, and the double local dimming zones and the higher resolution panel are noticable; whether he feels it's worth the money is up to him but the panels are NOT worse than the M series. Considering we finally have a digital distribution platform that is capable of handling (and already delivers) 4k content it is better to know that it will come in as it becomes available.

If he doesn't need a tv now, it would probably be a good idea to wait for a bit longer. The M series is going to be 4k this year when it's updated with the same dimming zones it has today, and in the next year or two 4k is basically going to be a standard resolution for larger sets.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Fremry posted:

Well, that's just not true. A native signal is going to be processed better by a TV because it has to do less video processing. When I use my 720p TV with 1080i, and either of my two 1080p TVs with 720 or 1080i signals, I see a significant downgrade in handling busy patterns as well as additional artifacting. And these are a 2007 Westinghouse, a 2011 ST30 Panasonic plasma, and the current Vizio E-series, so I'm not basing it on a single TV, a timeframe or a display technology.

Well of course there would be an issue when it's non native upscaling, but you can just quadruple all pixels on a 1080p signal and show it on a 4k screen without additional scaling algorithms. The other signals we dealt with before (especially that stupid relic of crt 1080i) were imperfect pixel ratios that makes for blurry messes. That doesn't stop most tv makers from over processing the poo poo out of the signal though.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Anyone know if the 4k Blu ray players will have downscaled 1080p 1.4 outputs for us that don't have HDCP 2.2 so we can at least take advantage of the 4.4.4 color? I'm not going to drop money for another projector any time soon.

I'm not sure I understand, blu-ray only uses 4:2:0 chroma. HDMI 2.0 itself is backwards compatible and I believe the 4k bluray set tops are as well, so they should still work fine on a device with the older hdmi ports. I wouldn't think they would be worth the extra upcharge over a decent 1080p bluray box, if you aren't planning on getting a 4k display for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Samsung: h7100/h7150 series or the brand new ju7100 sets (these don't have sale prices yet so are probably over 1500)
Sony: w950b, their new sets haven't come out
Vizio: M or P series depending on how much you want 240hz over 120hz
LG: that oled panel is tits but over 1500, and I don't like LG's (non-oled) screen uniformity issues on their current sets.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 19, 2015