Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I want 4K. Now. I see the Vizio 50" at Futureshop for 929, seems like I cant go wrong.

I went and got four of the $800 55-inch HiSense 4K I linked, I'll let people know how those are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Target had this "Element" one for $449, but I couldn't live without at least 120hz now.

I just had this great vision though of those 4 TVs all together connected to a million dollar PC. I don't think you could get enough Titan Z's in a rig to power 16k

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

codo27 posted:

I want 4K. Now. I see the Vizio 50" at Futureshop for 929, seems like I cant go wrong.

I kinda need 2 TVs though, one for my office and one for my bedroom. I'm fine with relegating my current Samsung to the bedroom, but for the office I need something that will double for gaming, and now that I have WQHD on my monitor, I don't want to be stuck with 1080 for games. Will a 4K TV be able to show 2560x1440 or just jump from 1080 right to 2160?

My Vizio 55" P series will render 2560x1440 but only at 30hz. It'll display 4K @ 60hz and 1080p @ 120hz though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh wow I hadn't thought about that. Will I have to get something super high end to do 120hz at 4K?

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

codo27 posted:

Oh wow I hadn't thought about that. Will I have to get something super high end to do 120hz at 4K?

This would require a display with displayport 1.3, which there are none of yet (that I know of). They may be out later this year, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So if I get 4k I have to watch it in ultra slow mo 60hz? I guess I'll do something else with my money for now like pay some bills or something stupid like that

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have a spending problem. I have a 42" but looking to go up in size. Any reason I should not get this? It seems like the smart features are actually worthwhile. But in the end yeah a roku or amazon stick is probably the best bet. I assume a new one of both is around the corner.

50" Samsung UN50H6350 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV $599 + Free Shipping

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I have a spending problem. I have a 42" but looking to go up in size. Any reason I should not get this? It seems like the smart features are actually worthwhile. But in the end yeah a roku or amazon stick is probably the best bet. I assume a new one of both is around the corner.

I'd just get the Roku and move your couch closer to the TV or vice versa.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

So if I get 4k I have to watch it in ultra slow mo 60hz? I guess I'll do something else with my money for now like pay some bills or something stupid like that

Even then I think you have to have hdmi 2.0 which still isn't widely proliferated.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

The panels themselves are still typically 120hz or 240hz so you get the inherent benefits of motion resolution and proper pulldown. But these are generally media consumption devices; all of the outputs are geared towards consoles and media players which typically won't output more than 60fps.

BonoMan posted:

Even then I think you have to have hdmi 2.0 which still isn't widely proliferated.

Most of the mainstream tvs from last year do have hdmi 2.0, the only lovely thing is the bandwidth limitation on current hdcp 2.2 chipsets that prevents full chroma at 4k too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new UHD Blu-Ray spec doesn't even call for full chroma. :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Next-Gen posted:

The panels themselves are still typically 120hz or 240hz so you get the inherent benefits of motion resolution and proper pulldown. But these are generally media consumption devices; all of the outputs are geared towards consoles and media players which typically won't output more than 60fps.

Most of the mainstream tvs from last year do have hdmi 2.0, the only lovely thing is the bandwidth limitation on current hdcp 2.2 chipsets that prevents full chroma at 4k too.

I meant on graphics cards.. But still good to know thanks!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I was looking at this myself. Someone sent me that as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm trying to find a reason not to but it does have quite a bit of nifty features. I think USB ports are standard these days but it's a nice feature. How are the generic ones on these TVs? Curious how much longer it'll be going for. Amazon reviews are good.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm trying to find a reason not to but it does have quite a bit of nifty features. I think USB ports are standard these days but it's a nice feature. How are the generic ones on these TVs? Curious how much longer it'll be going for. Amazon reviews are good.

I have had 3 smart TVs and the best streaming on them isn't even half as good as the worst dedicated streaming device I've had. I have a dedicated streaming device for every TV even though they are all smart TVs.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

The 6350 is a good midrange set. You won't be disappointed by it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Fremry posted:

I have had 3 smart TVs and the best streaming on them isn't even half as good as the worst dedicated streaming device I've had. I have a dedicated streaming device for every TV even though they are all smart TVs.

Sony W850B smart TV Netflix is faster than a Roku Stick! :downs:

(Roku sticks are lovely.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really wish that Roku had access to Google Play Music since they have access to Google Play Movies. That would make getting a Roku 4 (or whatever they will eventually call it) a no brainer for my main tv.

For now it's the TV's app for Amazon Prime Instant Video and Chromecast for everything else.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ddogflex posted:

Sony W850B smart TV Netflix is faster than a Roku Stick! :downs:

(Roku sticks are lovely.)

I haven't had a Roku stick. I have a Roku 1, a Roku 3 and a Fire TV Stick. The Roku 1 is sluggish on the menus, but a crap load more stable when streaming than my Panasonic, Vizio or Samsung smart TVs. The Fire TV Stick and Roku 3 aren't even worth comparing to the built in Smart TV functionality on any of them, because it's not even fair how much better they work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looking for a good wall mount for a 50" with lots of movement/tilt options that'll still sit as close to the wall as possible. Do most require at least two studs? I know the first one does

Looking at

OmniMount OC120FM Full Motion Mount for 43-Inch to 70-Inch Televisions https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DLKE7OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_5Ze6ub0GMK89C

And one of thee locally for $75

30"-55" Articulating Flat-Panel TV Wall Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGATUCI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c4e6ub0M8VET8

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 21, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I don't know if I'd do a full motion mount on one stud.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I double checked and I do in fact have studs close enough together.

I ended up with the Samsung UN50H6350. Apparently it's vesa 200x200

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm thinking of buying a 1080p TV and I can't decide on the size. Looking at either 32 or 39/40. Right but we have a 19" TV so anything would be an improvement over that.

Would be using it for Netflix and movies and maybe to connect a computer to occasionally.

Currently we sit 8' from the 19" now but we will be moving somewhere and do not know what a future viewing distance might be.

Bigger TV better? Is the size different between 32 and 40 that significant?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Massasoit posted:

I'm thinking of buying a 1080p TV and I can't decide on the size. Looking at either 32 or 39/40. Right but we have a 19" TV so anything would be an improvement over that.

Would be using it for Netflix and movies and maybe to connect a computer to occasionally.

Currently we sit 8' from the 19" now but we will be moving somewhere and do not know what a future viewing distance might be.

get the bigger one

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Can the human eye even distinguish the difference between 1080p and 720p at a distance of ten feet if the screen is less than 46 inches?

I have always been told "46 inches for 1080p" as a mantra.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Insane Totoro posted:

Can the human eye even distinguish the difference between 1080p and 720p at a distance of ten feet if the screen is less than 46 inches?

Probably not, but I doubt there's any 720p screens worth buying anymore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Insane Totoro posted:

If it's in good condition. Or sometimes even if it's in marginal condition. This applies to both the TV and your eyes. You should probably give your eyes a chance rather than take the advice of hastily made Internet charts unexamined. Keep in mind that an independent TV shop will be hard to find in many places and chain shops usually make TVs as vibrant and high-contrast as their market segment demands, blowing the image fidelity to Hell.

Also there haven't been good 720p screens since people got the idea of producing 1366x768 screens in any quantity. So really any 720p screens.

Yeah you pretty much shouldn't buy less than actual 1920x1080 1080p even at 15 inches now.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 21, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Insane Totoro posted:

Years ago that was true, like in 2007 I bought a 720p 42" plasma. Overall the value much, much better than paying for 1080p. Now 720p TVs are often low end sets, so regardless of the resolution the TV itself is a poor value.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Massasoit posted:

56% more surface area. 40 is also small. Consider 50 (or more) it isn't that much more expensive than a small tv now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Lookin' for a 40-42" 120Hz (real 120Hz) in the 500 range. Refurbed is fine.

This will be used as a client reference monitor that's mounted on my office wall... so while it doesn't have to be reference quality... "not poo poo color" would be preferable.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well look at that

40" Sony KDL40R350B 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV $278 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/146202

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I gave my 720p set to my parents and can definitely see a drop in quality when I watch something there.

And the old saying goes "No one regrets buying a bigger TV" is true IMO. I got a 65" in a living room that's no wider than 13 feet and I still love it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TV upgraded.

http://imgur.com/Qgqz9PW

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'm looking at replacing my beaten 10 year old 32" TV in the living room. So, I can get a 50" 4K set (P502UI-B1E) from Vizio for $700, where I'll have no way to consume content for it until UHD Blu-Ray comes out, or the 60" 1080p E Series set for $780. I'm completely conflicted.

Most of my viewing is either sports or movies via netflix/amazon/downloads. I'm assuming we're a far ways off from 4K sports broadcasts. My internet is capped at 300GB/month thanks to comcast, so 4K netflix is out of the question until Google Fiber rolls out here in 2 years from now. Am I crazy to skip over the 4k set for a 45% increase in screen size?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

I'm looking at replacing my beaten 10 year old 32" TV in the living room. So, I can get a 50" 4K set (P502UI-B1E) from Vizio for $700, where I'll have no way to consume content for it until UHD Blu-Ray comes out, or the 60" 1080p E Series set for $780. I'm completely conflicted.

Most of my viewing is either sports or movies via netflix/amazon/downloads. I'm assuming we're a far ways off from 4K sports broadcasts. My internet is capped at 300GB/month thanks to comcast, so 4K netflix is out of the question until Google Fiber rolls out here in 2 years from now. Am I crazy to skip over the 4k set for a 45% increase in screen size?

Nope. The increase in size is something you will value everyday, while 4k not only doesn't have any content, but the idea of 4k being any better than 1080p is dubious at best. 4k reminds me of the years of fabricated contrast numbers. LCD TV with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio! (Actual number 400:1)

More pixels does not mean better, especially when you can't distinguish individual pixels on a 1080p TV. Also, the E-Series has a better picture than the P series. You'd be paying more for a smaller TV and a worse picture for more pixels that you can't take advantage of and the most critical of people can't tell the difference between.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fremry posted:

you can't distinguish individual pixels on a 1080p TV.

Substantiate your claim.

No one is arguing with you about "4K". 720p content CAN look better at 2160pK because unlike 1080p (1.5x scale) it's an even multiple of 720p (3x scale), but you're right in that this probably isn't worth paying more for a smaller, lower color quality panel.

A better reason for Viper_3000 to skip UHD panels for the moment is that the protocols and signal density that the panel's computer can handle aren't rec.2020 reference-ready, let alone actual 3840x2160 full-color-density PC-style-input ready, and at least the 1080p display would continue to be useful for longer (and if it wasn't it's probably easier to resell a 60" TV to one of the neighbors later on than a 50" model).

But no part of a comparison between 3840x2160 panels and 1920x1080 panels made you say that even the 1080 panel is useless; in fact it wasn't even relevant - and you did anyway. I could make an argument rooted in why above-1080p displays are hitting everything from laptops to cell phones, but I want to hear from the person who made the statement whether they have anything worth countering.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 22, 2015

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Fremry posted:

Nope. The increase in size is something you will value everyday, while 4k not only doesn't have any content, but the idea of 4k being any better than 1080p is dubious at best. 4k reminds me of the years of fabricated contrast numbers. LCD TV with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio! (Actual number 400:1)

More pixels does not mean better, especially when you can't distinguish individual pixels on a 1080p TV. Also, the E-Series has a better picture than the P series. You'd be paying more for a smaller TV and a worse picture for more pixels that you can't take advantage of and the most critical of people can't tell the difference between.

People said the same thing about the comparison between 720p and 1080p in the beginning of HD. 4k is absolutely better no question, and the industry is going to eventually shift to that. The big problem I see, especially having worked in the film industry, is that most things now are done on a 2k DI and aren't shot/finished at 4k anyway. The real benefit would be all of the 4k remasters of things shot on film that have been done in the past 10 years or so. 4k + No 3:2 pull down anymore is about as close to a movie theatre in your home that I'll think we'll see.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I can see that 4k is coming, I'm just unsure that it's worth the money to upgrade now vs waiting for 3-4 more years for the content and delivery options to be there. Probably will wind up with that 60" E series since the panel in the P series isn't as good, and will look at another new TV in 3-5 years when content delivery/standards are sorted and the technology is cheaper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's even more damning is the amount of digitally shot content that's less than 4k RIGHT NOW.

Just about everything in the theaters at the moment was captured in 2.8k. Even recent blockbusters like Mockingjay were only captured at 2.8k. That stuff will never be anything more than an upscale.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fremry posted:

You can certainly tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and 4k but largely dependent on the size of the screen.

4k is available. Netflix and Amazon are both streaming in 4k. The selection is slim but all new shows and movies will be filmed in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

The selection is slim but all new shows and movies will be filmed in it.

Again, not true. The the vast majority of stuff produced today is still less than 4k. Filming with 4k cameras is becoming more common, but 4k workflows are still lagging and there still a ton of stuff being shot digitally in less than 4k. 2.8k is still a very popular format to capture in.

There is not some industry wide cutover to 4k. There's still a significant cost and time advantage in working in 2k and those concerns are going to trump for now.