Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Darkhold posted:

UK Law is pretty ironclad about allowing you to cancel pre-orders. I don't know if you want to go through the bother or not but if so shoot them an email.

EU consumer protection is pretty solid too and allows cancelling pre-orders and refunds within 2 weeks of purchase for any reason, so you have two law systems backing you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mortabis posted:

You're pretty screwed in the final boss if you don't do this, so beating the game is tantamount to having done so.

I beat the game never even touching ghost or archangel armour.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

wilbur.walsh posted:

Sooo, I am pretty sure I did the first PROGENY mission and nailed it. But that was like in month 2 or so, now we are at end of july my base was attacked but no more progeny council missions?
Also I did the first 2 Slingshot missions but denied the third (at beginning of month 3, far too early). I was used to in EU that it would pop up immediatelly, but no luck so far? Did they change them to one time events aswell?

I got my 2nd mission for Progeny once I built the psi labs (but I didn't have any psi troopers yet)

And yeah, in Enemy Within you can't delay the slingshot missions any more.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Onmi posted:

I'm wondering how possible it is to escape with all of your squad intact, as no matter how it went down, the streamer always lost the trigger guy.

I managed to do it by having the other 5 guys stand at the very beginning of the ship and shoot everything that moves while he sprints back, and then just sprint everyone back, occasionally taking pot shots if a chryssalid comes too close for comfort.

But the mission did trigger rather late so my squad was already fairly well-equipped.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

fargom posted:

You're outright crazy if you think snapshot snipers are useless, mine ended a classic ironman run with 90+ kills. The reduced penalty (-10 aim now) combined with the newer urban style maps AND the insane genemods for even more height advantage and jumpy legs makes snapshot much better than squadsight imo.

I'd agree, but my training roulette allowed me to kit a squad sight sniper with holographic targeting, HEAT ammo and double tap. It's basically a constant +10 aim on any and all important targets so the rest of the squad can lay down the pain; Sectopods and mectoids are a lot more manageable now. Sometimes squad sight still wins out.

But yeah generally speaking I prefer snap shot as well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Can't wait for the steam sales. I'm going to buy this on pc so I can get Long War.

The prospect of that has been getting me through exams until now.

Is there an inclusive list of all features of Long War somewhere?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Attestant posted:

I could clearly train to get better, but I'd rather play at mathematically equal odds, but with more spawns and better AI on the aliens.
Normal gives the player bonuses. Classic evens the mathematical playing field. :haw:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm downloading the game and excited to try out Long War. It's been years since I've been this giddy about a game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Segmentation Fault posted:

If you're just jumping into XCOM now, don't play Long War. Play through the game vanilla first to get your feet wet. Long War makes the game brutally difficult, so you'll probably want to be able to beat the game on Classic first.

I finished X-com enemy unknown on impossible on PS3 back when the EU got it free. I think I can start Long War off on easy or normal.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh, well in that case go right ahead!

I got through 3 missions losing only one rookie in the process. :getin:

I do love the larger squad size at the start and the multitudes of equipment. This is just what I needed.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

TescoBag posted:

I would like to play long war, because I like the idea of gauss weapons, but I hate games being too hard.

How is easy mode in Long War?

I feel like it's manageable. Just play smart.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

nutranurse posted:

Here is the one you need to do before playing the game:

Also do this:

What does the second change do?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My squad got wiped by a bunch of grays when my two best troopers missed their 80% shots and everyone got panicked by mind frays. They bunkered down on top of a building behind cover while 10 xeno scum took pot shots at them, critting two guys in the first turn of engagement. :xcom:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mr. Crow posted:

The answer is always shotguns.

This was the very first mission. Only rookies.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MajorDisater posted:

Then the answer is grenade's.

Have you played Long War? The AP grenades everyone starts with only deal damage to enemies out of cover. That means they are effectively useless.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Majestic posted:

You might have misunderstood this. They work fine on people in cover as long as they're not in cover with respect to where you land the grenade. Which means cover really only stops grenades at maximum range, or if you're trying to get multiple people at once. You can easily finish the first missions barely firing a shot.

Wait, really? That was my gut feeling as well but when I tried to aim a grenade over some cover, the alien didn't light up in red, so I assumed it just didn't work on people in cover, period. They are a lot more useful now, thanks!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

gnome7 posted:

You were probably angling the grenade wrong - some cover positions have cover from more than one side, so it can be confusing. The AP weapons are sometimes really finnicky.

"Really finnicky" describes half of X-com's cover-related mechanics. I've had more cases where an obvious flank didn't count as one than I can count.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

QuantaStarFire posted:

I haven't played this game since EW came out. What's the standard start now? Or does it not matter anymore? I wanna get to chopping off limbs and turning my dudes into mutants as quickly and efficiently as possible.

pretty much the same as before, but once you get enough meld you probably want to start chopping up a dude or two ASAP. MEC's early game help a lot, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Furism posted:

Wait, what? Is it only in Long War that you can do this or in a regular game as well?

Only Long War.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Furism posted:

In the Heavy Class tree, what do they mean by "increases the area of effect on Suppression" in the Danger Zone skill? I don't get it since when I Suppress an enemy I need to have it in my line of sight so I don't get the area of effect part.

If there are aliens close to the xeno you're suppressing, it will now suppress all of them rather than just the one you targeted. Not sure how many tiles the AoE range is though.

E: beaten like a rookie who dashed into a group of berserkers.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Sweetling posted:

b12 with the modified .upk that fixes the armor issue. I'm running a b9 campaign, though.

I'm running a b10 campaign which I upgraded to 11 and now 12 with the fix. My engineers have double nades functioning as expected.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sleepy Owl posted:

The only thing the ending needs is to show the memorial wall after the stat screens.

Needs to show your surviving teammates from the final mission attaching the name of the volunteer on the memorial wall as Bradford, Vahlen and Shen look on.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jabor posted:

Five SHIVs sitting there looking mournful?

This sums up Long War.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Prop Wash posted:

Comm nodes turn exalt from deadly to laughable, but don't get too cocky because there's still a couple nasty things they can do after being disabled. I got grenaded a couple times. I don't think their rocket guys can launch after the comm node disable though.

This. Thrown equipment can and will hurt. I was surprised when my assault troopers got a face-full of grenades after dashing in the turn I disabled their guns.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SlothfulCobra posted:

How can Exalt bring you into the negatives? It's just silly for them to be able to steal money that isn't there.

X-com just has a bank account. Exalt is overdrawing your bank account to pay off the mortgages for that fancy HQ.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SlightlyMadman posted:

Is acid bugged in the current build, or is there only a chance of taking damaeg? I had to take a shot with one of my guys who had acid, and he didn't take any damage. I've been afraid to try again though.

I've had soldiers do stuff without taking damage, and then taking damage for doing the same thing next turn, so there appears to just be a certain chance to it. Unsure if it's bugged or working as intended though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MrBims posted:

It is completely bullshit that Exalt get to use grenades when you hack a relay and it is water-proof justification for savescumming :/

It's a justification for savescumming the first turn it happens, but once you know it, roll with the punches the AI deals you!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tin Tim posted:

I've always started in Asia and never looked back.

Am I the only one who enjoys starting in Europe?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Annointed posted:

This might be a bit random but one of the first mods I'm going to download is the one that allows your characters to pose mid battle as a free action.

Are there any plans for a Jojo poses mod, or are you just playing with my feelings?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm having serious trouble with the dam mission in Long War. If I play it safe, I run out of time to get to the truck, and if I rush it, my frontline troops inevitably get murdered off halfway and I get held up by the final wave of mutons near the truck. The muton grenadiers who blow up my cover always trip me up.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
When you reach the halfway point, a mectoid and some sectoids spawn near the mission start so your snipers need to get some lucky shots on that thing or they melt. Which is basically why I feel forced to constantly move them up the bridge along with the rest. I think some snapshot snipers might be more useful but I have none. I also don't have any concealment scout (all of them are wounded when that mission hits). It's already a balls-hard mission but having a 20% shot bullshit crit my assault trooper on turn 3 and stuff like that just makes it even more grueling because it's so long and I don't really get room nor time to maneuver.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

monster on a stick posted:

When my campaign is done, I really want to make a mod of LW called the Fun War.

God, yes, please do this. I like most of the changes Long War did but it just gets so tedious after a while.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Oh well, just in time to ruin my thesis I guess. :confuoot:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah but the notice says something about gently caress, etc.
Surely they won't add new voicelines?

There's some swearing in the tutorial. All of your soldiers yell stuff when the Russian rookie gets blasted by the mindcontrolled German. There's a very distinct "What the hell?" and some other stuff I can't quite make out.

Also, don't medics sometimes say "quit your bitchin' " when healing someone? I think I remember that, too.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 31, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ilustforponydeath posted:

gently caress. Why couldn't MGSV or Fallout 4 been delayed instead.
MGSV's pc port was actually put forward instead of delayed. There must be some sort of law of equivalent exchange at work here: for every Japanese employee whose summer holidays get revoked, a Western game is pushed back a day.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kingtheninja posted:

How customizable are soldiers looks in this game, compared to the first?

A lot more. You have accents, you can choose their country/gender, there's multiple face slots for mixing and matching hats, eyewear, cigarettes and so on, and you can even choose a posture/personality for your troops and so on. And now there's also a bunch of new stuff like tattoos since you aren't a faux military any more but a ragtag group of militia.

I'm going to waste so much time with it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cosmic Afro posted:

Hey, in case some of you haven't preordered XCOM 2 yet (LIKE ME!), there is a 25% off 'upcoming games of 2016' sales on Green Man gaming with this coupon.

25PERC-2016GM-WTHGMG

As usual, it gives you a Steam key. Have fun.

Thanks! Glad I procrastinated so long before preordering.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I normally just lurk but oh my God.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Haha, it's almost like Firaxis is doing the work for a D&D reconversion for us. Now we have a beholder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Excelsiortothemax posted:

One thing I have noticed is that in all the videos I've watched, the starting area is always in northern Europe/western Russia.

Is that just for the press build they are releasing or are we locked in to starting in that area?

Beagle started in North Africa in his stream.

• Locked thread