Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Super Ness posted:

ERMAHGERD I wonder if they'll add the motion plus sword control into WWHD and alter the enemies to be able to block your attacks. That sword master on your home island will have a ball teaching you how to get past his defenses!

I can't wait to spend 2 hours on Outset before leaving. :v:

I too, hope they ruin Wind Waker HD with motion controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

precision posted:

I don't get why Motion+ was ever necessary when all the way back in Super Mario Galaxy they already had control schemes that relied on using the wiimote in 3D. :shrug:

The motion controls in Skyward Sword are way more complex than what the Galaxy games used (which was just tilt I think).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

romanowski posted:

Uh, what? The Desert Colossus has you go through half (or maybe 1/3rd) of the dungeon as young Link, and the other half (or 2/3rds, whatever) as adult Link. You never have to go through the same dungeon twice, what are you even talking about???

Not to mention it's probably the shortest of the Medallion dungeons. You also only have to go back to being a kid twice I believe (The Well and Sand Temple). Can't really say the game was based around going back and forth through time as much as you'd think.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pentyne posted:

Shadows of the Colossus.

The game lays out all of the controls and mechanics once you gain control of Wander, during the ride to the first colossus, and the climb up to him. The game explains everything to you. I don't even think Dark Souls tells you where the gently caress to go next.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Widdiful posted:

For someone who loves every Zelda game (yes, even Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) I couldn't get through LttP. There was something about it that just stopped me from playing it. I know it's a good game and I really want to go beyond the Master Sword but it was difficult for me to give it my time. Is there anybody else like this?

I loved it; do you like the other 2D Zelda's as well? Because it's basically the pinnacle of them and I can't see anyone praising it less than the others.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Runaway Five posted:

To those who got their copies of Hyrule Historia, did you order through Amazon?

Yeah, I had it preordered months ago and it arrived today. Maybe I did release day shipping or something, not sure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WendigoJohnson posted:

Did anyone notice in the Hyrule Historia they say that the Master Quest was the canceled 64DD game they were working on? Also the Zedla Collector's Edition for the Gamecube wasn't exclusive to Nintendo's store. It came as a Gamecube Pack in, a nintendo power subscription bonus, and it was sold new in regular stores everywhere for 10 dollars after a period of time.

I believe Master Quest is a lesser version of what the 64DD expansion was supposed to be.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Echo Chamber posted:

So what's exactly in the Collector's Edition of Hyrule Historia that's not in the regular?

Nothing, it just has a different cover. Yes, $50 extra for a cover.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That loving Sned posted:

Bring back the light and dark world concept, except the Light World looks like The Wind Waker, and the dark world looks like Twilight Princess.

Christ why would you want any of this let alone some horrid amalgamation of all of it.

Peewi posted:

I never got very far in it, but from what I've played of Trine, it seemed to have linear levels.

They are, but the Trine games are loving solid. Just play with friends or it'll be a lot less fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EC posted:

Not to mention PS2 and original Xbox games, most of which weren't 720p.

I don't think any of them were meant to be 720p; hell, I don't think there's a single console title that actually renders true HD resolutions for any games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EC posted:

Yeah, that was funny. "Oh you'll probably need to get back here and you don't swim well so I'll go ahead and unflood it."

I hosed up and started the end boss fight (I guess it's the end boss, the one that starts as soon as you fight your way God of War style to the bottom of that pit) without any sort of potions. It's not bad, but since the second phase depends on the thrust move (heh) and I apparently suck at that (hehheh), it's slow going. Only having six hearts makes it a loving pain. I finally have up after the fifth time I lost. Oh well.

Of all the sword gestures, the thrust was definitely most complained about so you're not alone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Three is also all over Christianity (Father/Son/Holy Spirit) and is symbolized all over "Classical" music.

Still standing by that if you found the time to be a huge problem in Majora's Mask you're just bad at games. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

If we don't enjoy being in a hurry instead of taking the time to stop and smell the roses, we're bad at videogames. Okay, then. Good to know that the way I've been playing Zelda games since the early 80s is incorrect.

I'm being mostly facetious, but really, the whole game is designed so every item (significantly) decreases the amount time you have to re-do anything in case you have to go back in time. Also, with time slowed you have 6 hours (if I recall correctly) before the Moon hits which is a drat lot of time, you can slog through the game and beat each of the four zones a cycle each.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

This isn't true at all. I got most of the way through a dungeon (or maybe it was the run up to the dungeon) and had to repeat all of my actions again because I ran out of time. I ran out of time a lot, and when I didn't, it was because I was rushing through tasks, which I don't find fun in the slightest. There's a lot of time once you can slow things down, sure, but tons of things need to be done during certain periods of certain days, so the time becomes a factor once again. It wasn't a problem for you. Bully for you. It was a problem for me, and that's not a problem with the game, or me. Sometimes art isn't made for everybody. Not everybody needs to be able to enjoy the art you like.

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't take my opinion as some kind of personal affront, or failing that, stop telling me that I don't enjoy games correctly.

But you know once you get the song that opens any said temple and activate the Owl Statue that's always right next to the pedestal where you need to play the song you can go back in time and go straight to the temple? And if any of the temples took you beyond 6 hours then I really don't know what to tell you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bongo Bill posted:

Normally, time in Majora's Mask passed at one minute per second, so that the duration of a cycle is 72 minutes. That's 144 minutes if you play the Inverted Song of Time. If you spend one cycle to gain access to the dungeon (two or three may be necessary for Stone Tower, as Ikana Castle is practically a dungeon in its own right) and one to clear it, that's a pretty comfortable limit.

The Inverted Song actually slows it down to 1/3rd of the time, so you get over 3 hours. Shy of my initial guess of 6 hours, but still plenty.

Looper posted:

A lot of you seem to be offended that some people don't like some games and that's kind of weird! We already have the Final Fantasy thread for that.

I don't think anyone is offended, really.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can't say I'm really big on the visuals but gently caress it, another Zelda game I'm fuckin' down.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Except... they did for Skyward Sword?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Strange Matter posted:

Not really. Skyward Sword's visuals, while interesting to look at, are not too fundamentally different from Twilight Princess when you look at actual character design. Contrast that with Wind Waker, where the models for basically everything in the game makes it seem like it was designed by a totally different company.

Skyward Sword somewhat like Twilight Princess in character proportions, but it's use of vivid colors, impressionist textures and that weird-rear end distance filter is a pretty drastic change. Wind Waker's style has probable been the most reused style too.

Lord Krangdar posted:

The graphics could easily change by the time the game is released.

They won't.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

microwave casserole posted:

I kind of wish they would bring the camera down a little so you could see Link's face and read his silhouette better. It's funny, in true 3D you can't quite do the perspective fuckery that the 2D Zeldas do to make things more legible.

If anything, I'd prefer the camera to be a little higher up, it's too close for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

scary ghost dog posted:

I had literally zero problems with every single element of motion control in Skyward Sword. Flying the bird was heavenly fun, swinging the sword was 100% accurate all of the time, flying the beetle was silly but accurate, quickdrawing the bow worked every time although my aim was imperfect. Everything worked for me.

That's fantastic it worked for you, but when most of the discussion about the game was about if the controls sucked or not there's an obvious issue with them. Outside of the two stylus titles, complaints with Zelda titles don't stem from their controls because they worked perfectly before. It worked for you, but not for a LOT of people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think the motion controls really worked well in concept OR execution.

Pretty much every enemy worked in the same fundamental way: it would indicate which way you'd need to swing, and if you did that quickly enough and enough times, it would die. Not especially exciting.

Almost all of the challenge emerged from the question "Will the software and hardware interpret my swing direction correctly?" For me, it regularly did not.

Exactly, it wasn't even 1:1 so what was the point? All of the sword slashes were do-able with a joystick direction and button press. The only things that were 1:1 were certain puzzles and aiming, neither of which really had any benefit by being 1:1. Oh, and being able to move the sword around and twist it which had absolutely no purpose. It also didn't help that trying to do fast motions would lead to wrong inputs unless you just did small nudges which completely defeats the whole point of the control scheme.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh, no it pretty much was 1:1.

Also, fast motions worked just fine.

All sword swings were canned animations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Edoraz posted:

Better than a bunch of awkward motions.

What's the point of having all the elaborate hardware to do 1:1 when the every attack is doable on a standard controller?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think I've seen a single complaint about the slashing in Metal Gear Rising, it works perfectly and is incredibly easy to pick up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For as much "modding" as they did, it looks like objects and enemies have just been placed in different areas. None of the world geometry looks different, which is a drat shame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The 3DS isn't going to get an N64 Virtual Console.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

Confused by this.

Boots: Hit start, wait for menu to pop up, scroll to proper page, highlight boots, hit A, hit start again.

Wolf: Hit Z. Hit A.

The fact you even have to be a wolf is violating. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Save at an Owl Statue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mastajake posted:

That's not a save, that's a pause.

Not if you copy your Owl save!

While the Time gimmick of Majora's Mask can definitely be a pain in the rear end and it is a legit criticism that prevented people from enjoying/beating the game, it's the whole game. Majora's Mask wouldn't have the depth that it does now and would be just another Zelda title following in the wake of OoT. The 3 days is meant to be as ominous as the Moon coming to end all existence, because they're one in the same, if the game gave you any more time there wouldn't be a sense of urgency and dread. All it takes is careful planning to enjoy Majora's Mask.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Peewi posted:

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about the minor password secrets in the Oracle games. All throughout a linked game, there are NPCs that don't appear normally, who give you passwords to enter in the game you already beat for some sort of upgrade, which also gives you another password to enter into the game you got the first password to have the upgrade in both.

So much stuff you can't get if you only play one of them. Extra level of sword and shield upgrade, more carrying capacity for seeds and bombs, biggoron's sword and at least one heart container.

I bought both titles in on the 3DS but haven't gotten around to playing them (I want to beat Link's Awakening again first), are they automatically linked if you have both? Is there a way to play the "linked" games on the 3DS? I never got the chance to back when I first played the games and I wouldn't know what's changed or how to activate it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The best way to deal with enemies in Skyward Sword is just to run by them. You can bypass a ton of fighting if you just run away because everything is too god drat slow to chase you. Then they lock you in a room and force you to deal with the horrible combat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

Zelda games locking the doors of a room until you clear it of enemies? Those bastards, they're ruining the franchise.

They are when you're forced to deal with awful motion controls!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The motion controls seem to either be completely awful or perfectly fine, depending on who you are. Maybe it has to do with how far you sit from your TV, or the lighting situation in your room or something. I can't think of any other reason why they work perfectly for so many people, yet don't work at all for so many others.

Plenty of things factor in, including messed up hardware, terrible motion registration and the fact that not everyone moves the same way when you have to "slice in X direction." There are a lot of points of failure, the last one would have been avoided if the combat was actually 1:1. The game tried some ambitious things but everything it accomplished is completely possible with traditional controls and they'd actually be precise. There isn't a single thing in Skyward Sword that needed motion controls, it all could have been mapped to buttons+joystick combinations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

The motion controls trick in Skyward Sword is that you're not supposed to swing your arms like a crazy person. Small flicks do everything the game needs with basically perfect accuracy. If you want to swing your sword to the right you just flick it to the right. Left to the left, ect. You don't go left-to-right or right-to-left. It's just "slash right/slash left/slash up" kinda stuff. It's a little bit like how Metal Gear Rising's Blade Mode works thinking about it.

If I'm just supposed to do small flicks to get results, what's the loving point? The whole game was advertised around it's "immersive combat experience made possible with Motion+." It defeats the whole point of the controls.

George Lazenby posted:

What about aiming the bow/slingshot? How can you replicate that accurately with a stick? And how could you replicate the sword swiping and stabbing in a way that was more intuitive and quicker than the motion controls? Or most importantly, sticking a pumpkin on the end of the sword and waving it about your head? Angling the bird worked really well with the motion plus too.

Aiming did benefit from Motion controls, but they're just as possible on a joystick. Nearly all of the canned animations the sword had were already done in the previous Zelda titles and just required certain button presses, if you held forward and hit B you stabbed, held right and hit B you got a horizontal slice to the right. It wasn't as refine, but it didn't need to be. All you need to do is map the 8 different directions with an attack button and you get every single sword attack you got in Skyward Sword.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Pepper posted:

Skyward sword doesn't have canned animations though. The blade does move in tune with your hand, try holding the remote at odd angles and you'll see the game match them.

All of the actual sword attacks are canned.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, advertising says a lot of stupid poo poo. The in-game instructions and the actual way it plays use that. It's not hard to use at all and works fine. You can even do larger slashes if you want, your hands will just get tired faster. The thing that throws off the controls is going left-right instead of just slashing to the right or going down-up instead of just slashing upwards. It's the switch in direction that you don't need.

So again, what's the point? Changing the control scheme to flicks doesn't add anything to the game except points of failure in the input.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Because it allows for near-instant attacking in a specific direction even if you're moving or otherwise occupied.

As does moving the stick in a certain direction and pressing a button, slashing in Skyward Sword stopped all of your movement so the amount of time it would take to push the joystick in a said direction and press a button wouldn't make a single difference.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it completely would. You would have to move the stick before slashing in another direction from the one you were moving in. It's not a significant investment of time or anything but there is a difference.

It doesn't matter because every enemy save for the Stalfos in SS are slow and plodding, Link can't even attack that fast and in the amount of time it takes for his slashing animation to finish so you can attack again anyone could have moved the joystick over an inch for an attack in a different direction.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

I'm honestly not even sure what your point is at this moment to be honest. You appear to now agree that it is more awkward and your only comment is that it doesn't matter that it is more awkward because the game is paced slow enough. I think honestly that if they tied the melee attack to your movement direction you'd be in here complaining about what a stupid idea that is though and you'd be right to do so. v:shobon:v

It is the kind of thing where it sounds fine until you imagine how it would actually play and then it would be just awkward as hell. You generally want your movement to be tied primarily to movement, maybe "towards/away from enemy" at best for games like Bayonetta/DMC where you're using fighting game input.

It's not awkward as all hell because that's how all other 3D Zelda's worked until the motion bullshit only to a lesser extent. Right+B in MM and OoT yielded a slash towards the right, Left+B a slash to the left, Forward+B was the stab combo. I also believe you got a different slash for diagonals. Hell, Monster Hunter works on the same principle and it's controls are way more complex than any 3D Zelda.

My point is the controls would have worked just as well on standard controls and user mistakes would be the only point of error and that flicking the wiimote around adds nothing to the experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Skyward Sword differs from left-to-right slash and right-to-left slash. Things like the goblin enemies require you to hold the sword in one way and attack in another.

You can differentiate left to right and right to left swings with a standard control scheme. You're right with the "follow the sword" type enemy in Skyward Sword, unless you a button that put Link into some "wave sword mode" which would be stupid but I can do without a gimmicky enemy to have a good control scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Too much god drat bloom, the sky is glowing. I'm really digging the Tingle Bottle idea (and I'll be sending out plenty of Dickbutts) and being able to sail faster.

• Locked thread