Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm keeping a close eye on this one (hell, it's probably getting my money just for being a space-sim).

I do wonder to what extent Battle of Endor Syndrome will be a problem though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

General Battuta posted:

It's hardly a problem in FreeSpace 2 any more if you're good designer. The mission editor has grown powerful enough to let you tame battles of that scope.

e: I guess that's not a great way to put it, it's still a challenge; just a surmountable one.

Even discounting the technical problems, there's still the fundamental issue of 'how do you build a battle so big it's impressive and yet small enough that the player has something meaningful to do'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

A fair point with plenty of solutions. From torpedo interception, to sinking "That one critical cruiser.", to catching a transport unawares or destroying a bomberwing at a clutch moment.

To me, such a clusterfuck really comes down to the fact that you are doing small things that nudge the battle in your sides favour, or doesn't because the plot says otherwise.

Yeah. One way things can go wrong are to have a freeform skirmish of 200 fighters, only for the player to end up with an unwinnable mission through no fault of his own because his side all got shot down.

The opposite problem is Starlancer Syndrome, where literally nothing happens unless the player makes it happen and all suspense of disbelief of a living world that the game is set in is lost.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

We do not know the answer to any of these questions yet.

If you want a series of diametrically opposed and increasingly virulent opinions then goon testers are always the place to go!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Don't get angry at Kairo if there are no combat landings/flight decks, those are peripheral features. If FreeSpace 2 didn't need them Enemy Starfighter doesn't need them :colbert:

Freespace 2 had the one mission where you 'launch' from the Aquitaine's flight deck.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheDemon posted:

how they're used, mainly. they are powerful enough to make you poo poo your pants. if there's a single enemy beam shooting at your capships it means you have hosed up and better recover fast. that + the loving sound makes them scary as poo poo and very atmospheric. homeworld ion cannons look neat but don't have the same "oh poo poo" factor

e: to add to the atmospheric thing, a big portion of freespace 2 was played in this nebula where your vision and sensors is reduced and seeing a big fuckoff beam come out of the mist meant there was some kind of monster out there just outside your view range.

e2: freespace style beams might not be the best choice for this game though

Freespace beams were atmospheric perfection but in gameplay terms a bit too powerful for my taste (I get why - it's to make sure the missions are paced right). Ships die in seconds and there isn't really any sense of a contest between them - in Freespace one Capital was always far more powerful than it's opponent. I'd like to see big ships blasting corvettes like in the gif, but I'd also like to see prolonged duels between equally big ships blasting chunks out of each other for the length of an entire mission.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It looks like a nice thing to be able to do in the plan screen would be to click on an enemy ship and see the fields of fire of it's turrets so that you can work out the best attack vector.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

You know what game has good, powerful capship beams? Strike Suit Zero.

I thought that game fell into the 'only the player is capable of doing anything' category.

I absolutely loved the sense of being a pilot (albeit a really good one) in a much larger military that Freespace 2 gave you. It was a real world where battles happened when you aren't around and your wingmen did poo poo and the coolest guy was called Snipes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just rewatched the 'Fighter speeds' video and I think I can encapsulate what makes me most excited about this: it's the first space-sim I've ever seen (and I've seen them a lot) which seems to have captured that 'Star Wars cinema starfighter' speed. In every other game everything's moving all so slow, but even in the videos you get a sense of real speed out of the dogfights, especially weaving around the move cumbersome capital ships.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kairo posted:

I figure there's enough for people to get accustomed to when they start playing this, so for PAX it's the normal gunsight. People may dislike the other one at first, but they actually get used to it after a few tries. Unfortunately, you only really get one shot to impress at stuff like this, so I'd rather make a safer bet.

Given you're playing with both could you leave both in and have it as a toggle, or is that one of those 'way too much work for the payoff' kind of things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kairo posted:

For PAX there's other way more important stuff than gunsights that I still need to fix. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I had no idea it would be asked about as much as it is!

I meant for release really (I'm a DCS fan so I'm all for the 'real' reticule because it is actually better once you are used to it). I just don't know how much work making sure both styles function would be and I really don't want to be that guy who's always saying "Wouldn't it be cool if the game had x?" When x is something patently impossible to implement. Those are the worst fans.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

Are you serious? That is hard to believe. I wonder if there videos of these sorts of thing happening.

That didn't just happen, it was the standard tactic. You don't want to be 50m away from and flying towards a 850kg bomb when it explodes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really enjoyed both FSW's and with Gearbox taking a nosedive on the Brothers in Arms IP nobody's making that sort of game anymore :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kairo posted:

I really enjoyed BiA 1 (never played the others). I always wished the FSW engine supported real-time unit control so you could pull the trigger in a satisfying way. But as it was, the engine was totally animation driven and based around RTS AI fundamentals. So we ended up with precision-fire instead which wasn't as satisfying, in my opinion. On the other hand, it let us have replays which helped debug during development.

Still, FSW was fun to work on. Met a lot of great people during development. One of my friends implemented the command "riddick 1" which let your dudes walk up to any enemy, "shiv" them, and print out a Riddick one-liner above the soldier's head. Needless to say, it never made ship. :)

I never actually wanted to pull the trigger and I thought that precision-fire mode actually broke the puzzle based nature of the first game. which was really interesting by letting you snipe your way past problems too much.

It's sad, but for obvious reasons I can see why publishers don't want to make puzzle games that look like Call of Duty.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zizi posted:

Independence War, Descent, Freelancer, and-- I'm pretty sure-- X3 all do this to varying degrees. It's actually fairly common in later space combat genre titles.

This thread's already had this chat. Done well it's really cool (Independence war). Done badly it either ends up being either an inconsequential feature nobody uses or so overpowered that all combat becomes turret matches. It all depends on whether you are going full Newtonian or Star Wars, but you generally have to pick one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It isn't really a surprise to me at all that trying to build a game that was simultaneously Homeworld-style strategy and Space-sim style action turned out to be a bad idea and the strategy elements got folded into the cockpit. I could see the prototype working when a fight is just one or two wings of fighters attacking a target, but the moment any encounter scales up it seemed pretty obvious that you wouldn't be able to have fun shooting stuff down while swapping to the strategic view every 30 seconds to manage your fleet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I'd just like to reiterate that the strategy elements are still in and working fine, and you can play the entire game as a Homeworld-esque RTS if you so please, and it's a glorious thing to behold. The only thing cut is the pre-mission planning phase where you assign jump-points and times and initial attack orders. Now you make those calls after landing in-system, but the AI picks appropriate targets if not given any goals.

Oh. It's kinda telling that none of the recent videos have anyone using that system though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kairo posted:

Strategy/Cockpit Focus
Alchenar is right, you do a disservice to either end of the spectrum when you hybridize the combat too much. I feel like if I wanted to make a strategy layer comparable to Homeworld or Nexus, I absolutely wouldn't do a cockpit side of the game. I'd rather make a smarter action game where you're prioritizing targets/subsystems in a pretty robust combat encounter.

It's still super useful to queue up commands from the tactical map, or even watch everything play out, but just because Scott didn't do it in 13min of game footage doesn't mean there's any real subtext going on there. Honestly, it's mostly because I ignored a bug to make an onscreen pause/play button in the tactical mode (hitting PAUSE on your keyboard is the only way to start/stop time), so he never played with it. My fault!

Oh that clears that up. And I wasn't criticizing at all, merely noting the tension there and the fact that testing and iteration will probably change the original design.

And yes, I want an action focused game with strategy elements than something that attempts to straddle both worlds equally.

PS. I love the look of the speed/scale balance.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the first act and some of the second is fairly linear, but partway through the second act things open up and you can basically do whatever you want.

Even before that, though you can fly around as you wish. It takes a while before it gives you the full abilities to go play pirate though.

The game is fairly liner, it's just liner in a GTA open-world style rather than the literal mission-to-mission linearity of IW1. Also some missions come in email form and don't get an in-space objective marker so it's actually possible to forget they exist and be stumped as to what you need to do to progress.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have an xbox 360 controller and am willing to undertake the arduous task of testing the controls for hours on end. It will be tough, but I'm willing to take the pain in order to help build a better game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Void Destroyer just got released on Steam. Assuming crossover interest, anyone seen/played much of this?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My problem with Cel Shading is that it makes depth much harder to discern. Now that's fine if you are playing a fixed perspective game like Diablo, or a game where it's irrelevant to the actual gameplay (ie. anything Telltale). But in a space/flight sim any art style that messes with your perception of how far away something is has got to be a bad thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There needs to be a freespace 2 nebula style environment where suddenly the game gets all hunt for red October.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We could, or...

Aesis posted:

Can I play this yet :qq:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

How about an 'in universe' start menu:

Start the player off in-cockpit while their ship is in some kind of vast hanger. Make the menu options part of the HUD and theme them. Top option is just 'launch' and it fires you out of the ship BSG/Wing Commander style straight off into the action.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

Freelancer is one of those games that gets a lot of (in my opinion) unjustified nostalgia from people who haven't actually played the game since it came out. It's really not very good.

Its an open-world game except they could never get that bit to work so they killed it dead and put the whole thing on railroad tracks. It's fine for what it is but the flight system is rubbish and there's certainly nothing brilliant or revolutionary about it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

You basically get one shot at launch, Early Access or not, so it had better be good. Wave Clear is there and fun, but it's not enough to launch and then hold back the other mode.

What you need is some kind of early-Early Access. For goons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Do a reverse-Ender's Game where it turns out your character was playing a video game all the time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thyrork posted:

Game's done. Kairo's waiting on that perfect moment to release, when refunds of Star Citizen go out but before its all spent on consolation snacks.

I mean this would actually be a good time to prod The Escapist with an 'hey I'm making a space game and it's real and I can show it off, maybe write a thing about me'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The OP promises me a release in 2015, when can I push start to start starfighting? :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Missed the chance for an April 1 announcement of 'Enemy Landfighter', the FPS module for Enemy Starfighter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm still half convinced the thread will end with Kairo posting "Game's done guys, I'm playing it and it's super fun. What, release it? Oh no I never said anything about that, I was just making the game for myself"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The font on the new title on the website makes it look like an incredibly inappropriate children's book. Or a Disney film.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm disappointed the original concept didn't work out, with the benefit of hindsight I'm not surprised at all it didn't.

Across all the space games I've played there's been maybe 4-5 different levels. There's the one where you have to shoot waves of fighters. There's the one where you have to shoot waves of bombers. There's the one where you have to attack a big ship. There's the one where two big ships fight each other and you have to shoot waves of fighters and bombers.

15-ish missions that are crafted and replayable seems perfectly reasonable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tried to give kairo money, card declined.

My bank doesn't want me playing games until they're real apparently.

e: \/\/ really it's just one of those things where every so often an online store will trip your bank's fraud detection routine. Should be sorted now.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 5, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Having completed the game last night I'm torn between the feeling that I was missing the 10-15 minute missions from FS2 with capital ships slogging it out with each other, and the feeling that maybe there's a reason this game keeps each mission short and sweet and I wouldn't like the alternative.

I know Battle of Endor syndrome is a thing and all, but I'd like to see a few scenarios with the scale of conflict upped a bit and capital ships not dying so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GotLag posted:

I found something the shotgun is great at: locking down flagship turrets so your fleet can destroy it. At point-blank each blast seems to take down a turret completely.

It still sucks against small craft, mainly due to the gimped traverse. It's so much easier and quicker to kill a corvette with autocannon than the shotgun, when inside its shield bubble.

Edit: also taking the shotgun means you can't take any reliable shield counter like missiles (which can replace autocannon for destroying strike craft, in a pinch) or the shield popper.

I haven't seen a capital ship that didn't either die instantly to a torpedo hit or explode a few seconds into coming into frigate range.

• Locked thread