Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is this where I can come to talk about how much I love Taylor Swift and Ke$ha? Because I loving love Taylor Swift and Ke$ha.

Admittedly, T-Swizzle's latest is kind of a mixed bag. It's still stuffed with about 50% those acoustic ballads that have filled out pretty much all of her albums before this one, but something happened and they stopped being anything other than total filler. Treacherous, All Too Well, I Almost Do, Sad Beautiful Tragic and (to a lesser extent) the two duets on the album all sound so samey that it's just boring. Bad T-Swift. But then you get to the other 50% of the songs, you have a wide variety of actually kinda cool poo poo. Everyone on earth has probably heard We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together at this point, but that's because it's catchy, just a little sassy, and fun to listen to. I Knew You Were Trouble comes on and it sounds like some Kelly Clarkson poo poo, but the bass drops and it's suddenly a completely different song. Awesome. State of Grace is a great booming (for her) album opener, and Holy Ground is another song that I always have to listen to whenever I get in a Taylor Swift-y mood. At this point I'm hoping she continues to trend toward more poppy music, because she's proven pretty well that she can handle it.

Ke$ha on the other hand is some sort of mad evil genius who makes awesome music with a pretty much perfect success rate at this point. I loved Die Young when I first heard it, because it was exactly the song I was expecting from her (even though I was hoping for a little more branching out), and the first time I listened to the record the whole way through, it was a really logical progression from where Cannibal ended up. She tossed in some guitars, got a few more rock oriented collaborators (Wayne Coyne and like, half of the Strokes, and of course Iggy Pop), and made an album full of both the dance pop people came to expect and some fantastic tributes to a few different styles of rock (I Only Wanna Dance With You is obviously The Strokes, take the Iggy Pop parts out of Dirty Love and it sounds like a cast-off Riot Grrl track, and Gold Trans-Am is a better hair metal song than most hair metal was). There are definitely moments where it's far too Dr. Luke (C'Mon and the title track), but again, when she expands her horizons, there are some real loving gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I may be a big dumb dork about one of my favorite bands for a second, Relient K has a new album coming out July 2nd, and they released an adorably poppy song (feat. Owl City) about the big dumb pop songs they love as a little precursor to the album itself.

The two singles they've released so far are way poppier than their last album, which was (IMO) one of the best break-up albums ever, but edged a lot more on the rock side, while their new stuff sounds like Owl City (which isn't surprising as the two bands have collaborated a lot) or a slightly less sweeping/epic Fun. I think they just wanted to write a really pop-oriented album, and it sounds like they've done a good job. I've been a huge fan of them for a long time, so every new album is something to look forward to.

(also they're not that Jesus-y, so ignore your common sense that says "Christian bands suck", because you're not wrong 99% of the time)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Loaf posted:

No reason a rock band can't be pop as well.

In theory, anyway.

Maybe "heavier" is the word I'm looking for. There's a lot less of the pop-punk guitar sound (though it's not gone by any means).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been listening to Top 40 radio a little bit recently, and I'm kinda impressed at the number of songs that I hear regularly that I really like. I mean, I'd been waiting for 20/20 Experience and Random Access Memories, so I know the Timberlake/Daft Punk songs already, but stuff like Clarity, or that new Jason DeRulo (for whatever reason, I've always liked his songs) have a really nice almost trance-y sound to them. That kind of beat getting bigger and more popular is exciting for me.

edit: That said, Roar blows and I hate it and hate listening to it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomapple posted:

I actually like Katy Perry, but yeah this song is awful. Also I agree with the general sentiment that there seems to be a lot of pop around at the moment that I really enjoy.

I actually really like a lot of Katy Perry's music. Both One of the Boys and Teenage Dream have songs that I really enjoy on them, but something about Roar just really puts me off.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After hearing Britney's newest song and her spot on Scream and Shout, I've kinda decided she's settling in to her role as the elder stateswoman of pop, like where Madonna was when Britney was first coming up. She's using her lower register a lot more (which I really love), and she's adapting to the times while still sounding like herself. Work Bitch is probably the best she's done since Womanizer at least, and might give Toxic a run for it's money (not really but it's pretty good). I wonder if she'll get tapped to sing the next James Bond song...

(in this analogy, Beyonce is like a more relevant mid-ninties Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake is Bad-era Michael Jackson, and Christina is Paula Abdul)

edit: Also, Dark Horse is way better than Roar, but I don't think it will be a successful single because it doesn't have that hook that most Katy Perry songs (the successful ones, anyways) get people with.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a channel on iTunes Radio called "Pure Pop" which has been filling that Top 40 radio niche I've been missing (sans commercials, of course), and most of it has been stuff I've recognized, but as I was coming home from work tonight, I heard two new songs that I have to share with you guys, because they are both amazing.

The first is the greatest tribute to the greatest boy band album ever (that would be No Strings Attached, of course). Apparently this kid is the next Bieber or whatever, but holy gently caress, this sounds like it would have been the biggest hit ever in 2000, and I love it.

This one simply proves that for every 'Nsync, there must be an LFO. Right down to the awful white-boy rapping, and vague cribbing of Stacy's Mom.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God Sky Ferriera is awesome. I loved the Ghost EP she dropped at the beginning of the year, and based on You're Not the One, she's absolutely picked the best path to travel down from it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mondlicht posted:

I've been a secret lover of Miley's voice for awhile, I just usually don't like what she does with it. Her cover of Jolene opened my eyes a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

She really sounds great when she uses that twang that's so natural in her voice. I like We Can't Stop and plenty of the songs on Bangerz, but I wouldn't mind her dropping all of the trappings and putting out an album that sounds like this.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AA is for Quitters posted:

Thank you for this.

Because thanks to this, I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZsunzjDXU

...seriously, this is better than Buckley's version of the song. Like, easily on par with Simone's version of the song.

drat, girl can sing way way better than her pappy can. (And I say that as someone who shamelessly owns a copy of Some Gave All that makes its rotation into my car stereo at least once a month).

Pop music really is fantastic these days in a way that we haven't seen since the 80's. Bangerz is a fantastic album, the 20/20 Experience is knock-your-socks off good, Lana Del Ray's terrible SNL performance aside has a fantastic album out, Britney's new album is pretty drat good, and I'm suddenly blasting songs from people that once were prodigies of the Mouse with 0 fucks being given.

I'm impressed at how this particular round of Disney-spawn is playing out. Miley is just bein' Miley in a way that they never expected, Selena starred in one of the best movies of the year and her new singles are both catchy as gently caress, and Ariana Grande apparently stole the souls of every R&B lady singer from the mid- to late-ninties and used it to release songs that are as good or better than they ever could make.

And then we've got Artpop to look forward to, and Katy Perry is usually good for three or four singles per album (and with Roar being underwhelming and Walking on Air being better, I'm hoping there's a trend).

Hell, I even kinda like Bieber's new song. I really like how it sounds like a supervillain song, particularly the last minute or so.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Krangdar posted:

The rumor is she wanted, and wants, to be a rock star and hang with the Flaming Lips and Iggy Pop or whatever but Dr. Luke has her under a really draconian contract for a really long time.

She totally could, too. Gold Trans Am is such an awesome hair metal song, and Dirty Love is the best Riot Grrl song of the new millennium (that I've heard, anyway). She's a good enough songwriter and performer that she could easily spend the rest of her career doing the same kind of Dr. Luke pop that she's been doing, but god she should be doing so much more, and clearly she recognizes that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The Fame Monster > The Fame > Artpop > Born This Way

Swap Fame and Artpop and you've got it. The last half of Artpop is fan-drat-tastic.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And now Miley is going on tour with Sky Ferreira and Icona Pop. That will be one hell of a show, that's for drat sure.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Grammy Nominations suck this year. Nothing for Icona Pop or Pet Shop Boys or Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande. But hey at least Lorde and Robin Thicke got nominated for every drat thing they did.

(Also, does anyone actually listen to Sara Barielles? All of her music just screams "grocery store playlist" to me.)

The only award on that list that I genuinely have a horse in the race is Ariel Rechtshaid for best producer because that dude loving rules.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Janet can pretty much do whatever she wants at this point, she's both hella rich and married to a hella rich dude, and has been writing books and starring in Tyler Perry movies and going on Greatest Hits tours and has a fashion line.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know it's not strictly pop, but I downloaded Follow Your Arrow after watching Kacey Musgraves at the Grammys, and I'll be damned if that's not the earwormiest earworm that ever wormed into people's ears. It's like a country version of We Can't Stop, but not quite as transcendently awesome.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Well now I won't be happy until we get a Kacey Musgraves/Miley Cyrus duet.

They can bond over their mutual love of rolling up joints!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Christmas Jones posted:

You will remember this post, when I appeared to you, even though no one will believe you and you will begin to doubt yourselves. Scientists will admit there's a possibility I exist, but they'll mock the guy who goes out into the woods hoping to catch a glimpse of me. You might think I'm a troll or an impostor no matter what evidence I provide, or at least you'll tell yourselves that to maintain your sanity.

I am the person who wasn't a big fan of Born This Way, but loving loves Artpop.

Yeah, there's plenty of you. I'm you. (ARTPOP owns.)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In "music that isn't bad" news, Miley is on tour now, and apparently the show ain't bad. She shows off her voice (insomuch as it can be shown off), shows off her rear end (this apparently goes over much better), and covers Hey Ya and Jolene, almost certainly marking the first time anyone has ever put these two songs in the same show.

Also, apparently John K (guy behind Ren and Stimpy/world class rear end in a top hat) did some animation work for the show. Which... I have no loving idea.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Oh, yeah, I've been a fan of Janelle Monae for a little while. I didn't realize she was considered pop, but I guess those distinctions are pretty fuzzy. She certainly deserves to be popular.

I've been digging Lana Del Rey an awful lot today. I'm glad I didn't let the Lorde comparisons keep me away because I honestly can't hear much similarity. Lana has an absolutely amazing voice, and if Lorde has a similar voice it has yet to emerge.

I'd like to go for some gender balance, but I like singers a lot more than rappers so if you can suggest some men who can really sing, that would be great.

If you don't like rappers then avoid the whole album, but one of my favorite pop songs of the last few years is Hold On We're Going Home, by Drake.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there aren't a lot of male singers on US pop radio at the moment, and almost all of the ones who are are really R&B influenced. That's not a bad thing per se, but there's not a huge amount of variety.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

metachronos posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. I like that song way better than gagnam or the fox. It's super catchy, and as a mid 20s male, I've said or done some of the poo poo in that song. I can relate.

On another note, I saw Miley in concert last night. She puts on a pretty elaborate, crazy show. She 's a really good performer and it was really great. Icona Pop was really good too, but their set was super short.

Did Sky Ferriera perform? I know she hosed her leg up early in the tour, I hope she's OK.

Also, Our Lady of Perpetual Party is out of rehab, and has dropped the $ from her name. I hope this means she's doing well, and that we'll get to hear some new stuff from her sooner rather than later.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

metachronos posted:

No she didn't perform.

Oh boo. Well I saw her performances on Kimmel the other night, so I guess you just got unlucky and didn't get to see her. She looks like a strung-out rock goddess at the moment, which is awesome.

Also, I'm aware that I'm very late on this, but holy motherfuck is Body Talk one of the most awesome albums ever. Even if it just had Dancing on My Own it would be great, but it's got a few more songs on there that almost reach that level (I might argue that Call Your Girlfriend is even better but it's like comparing really delicious apples with really delicious oranges) and the rest range from pretty good to really good. And apparently we get more Robyn this year? gently caress yeah!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pulling for Ke$ha, but Adele is a good guess.

edit: Robyn?

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 19, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm almost positive the surprise album will be Lil Wayne. The album's supposed to be coming by May and he said in an interview that he wanted to do a surprise release.

I don't think there's a single person who knows a single thing about Lil Wayne who is even remotely excited for a new Wayne album.

Mariah is another really good guess, because she might be able to get sales/hype on the level of Bey.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

Isn't the SNL stage also notoriously bad for live music? I remember reading somewhere that even the best live acts sound bad at 30 Rock.

Whoever works sound mixing for SNL should be shot for crimes against ears. I mean, I'm sure it's a tough job and all, but the only person I can think of that didn't sound significantly worse on SNL than they would otherwise is Kanye West, and I'm pretty sure that's because he transcends sound systems and beams directly into your brain. Even Gaga sounds off on that show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Is Jason Derulo pop? This song will either be inescapable, or it will flop horrendously.

The Next Great Butt Song.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, you gotta help me, I can't stop listening to Ultraviolence. It's so brooding and torch-singer-y and haunting and lovely, it's great.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, something important and seismically world-changing just happened.

Taylor Swift got a kitten.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, apparently he hit her back with a countersuit, but I hope he gets his rear end handed to him. Dr. Luke is a fucker.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God bless whatever wild thought caused Tay to pick up a synth, because 1989 is fantastic. The only thing that will make me stop listening to it on repeat is if Kanye comes out with an album this year.

Style would not be out of place on the Drive soundtrack, and that's the best thing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stalins Moustache posted:

Wow, 1989 is amazing.

Yeah, after a couple of listens, I'm really, really pleased with this. Almost makes up for the fact that 2013 kicks the poo poo out of 2014 musically. (we'll see how 'Ye's new one sounds)

Style and Blank Space are definitely my favorites, but the record execs would be fools to not release How to Get the Girl as the next single, it's the most radio ready song on the album, and I'm including Shake It Off, the most First Single-y first single I think I've ever heard. I also love Tay-does-Lana Wildest Dreams, and Tay-does-Katy Bad Blood, and after a few more listens, Out of the Woods sounds really out of place, but mostly because it sounds like it would be much more at home on the Bleachers album (which is also pretty good). I also have a soft spot for Welcome to New York, just because the first time I listened to it (last week when it came out on iTunes), a giant smile crept across my face because I knew if it was as good at introducing the album as State of Grace, it would be a combination of two of my favorite things: Tay's sense of romanticism, and synthesizers out the rear end.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

somnambulist posted:

I also love Clean though. I think my other problem (which isnt really the albums fault) is that Taylor has hooked up with.......everyone in Hollywood and her songs get kinda silly. Almost every song is about a break up or falling in love with a different person, and it starts to get repetitive.

I dont mind it that much, some of these tracks are ridiculously catchy.

I don't know that she really has since Red came out, though. She dated Harry Styles, but that's about it. I mean, she dated a bit more back in the day, but even then, I think she exorcized most of the demons from those relationships in Fearless, Speak Now, and Red.

Aside from a few key moments (Out of the Woods, which is obviously about Styles), most of her new songs are much vaguer about who they're about, which kinda leads me to believe that they're not about a person, but an idea, or just a wish. I mean, who doesn't want a dude who looks like a James Dean Daydream?

Also, I'm not really missing the ballads that much. We got This Love and You Are In Love, and she already perfected the sappy ballad with Enchanted, and the breakup ballad with All Too Well. I want more songs like Style and Blank Space.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Taylor's "club music" would either be incredibly un-genuine, or be entirely about baking cookies and petting kittens. If I want awesome "I want to party, drink, and gently caress people" music, I'll listen to Ke$ha, because she's way better at that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kurona_bright posted:

What do you think '22' is about? I've seen several people note how similar it is to Ke$ha's stuff.

I mean, it is, and I like the song well enough, but it's not what she does best.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Holy poo poo, Azealea Banks actually released Broke With Expensive Taste. (For context, the original release date was September 2012.)

Ice Princess is massive. Listen to it now, please.

It's amazing how much attention she got off of one (admittedly massive, loving dope) song and a string of lesser singles and broken promises. I'll listen to it, but I wrote her off a long time ago.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New Taylor Swift video, and it's pretty dope.

The first half is your typical T-Swift video, and then it gets way better.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuantumNinja posted:

SNL did a pretty good skit about Taylor Swift's new album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhAz7JU0dg

This is exactly how it happens. One day you're listening to the radio, then the next minute you're singing You Belong With Me at the top of your lungs and she's got you.

The same applies to Kesha. You listen to Blow once, and that's it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Jason Derulo is the lowest form of dancepop, but god drat do I love this melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOAfz0H4f00

You know, every time I hear a new Derulo song, I think "this sounds so dumb I have to imagine this is the one that ends the streak", and I'm wrong, every time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Well of course Jessie J would go dancing at Taylor Swift and Lorde.

I mean, at least they looked like they were enjoying themselves, instead of the awkward label types standing up clapping and bouncing off rhythm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alright!