Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I actually like Work Bitch, although I'm not sure why. Maybe just because it's a pretty ballsy risk for Britney, not relying on her usual tricks or collaborators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

I don't think so. This is another will.i.am production coming right after the HUGE success of Scream and Shout. At this very moment, going into this direction is not risky, it's a no-brainer.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that song. I was thinking her usual trick is her trademark croak, and I thought she had been working mainly with Dr. Luke for some time now.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I was enjoying Dark Horse until that Juicy J totally killed the momentum. Also I listened to it last night and can't remember what it sounds like at all, even though I often hear just a snippet of a pop song once and have it stuck in my head for days.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

nyquil hangover posted:

A Britney Bond theme would be amazing. I bet Lady Gaga does the next one (unless Artpop totally flops and destroys her career).

Gaga should really have done Skyfall. Her shtick would have fit well with the tone of that film.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

somnambulist posted:

I'm surprised people like Work Bitch so much. It's so generic sounding to me, and there's really no chorus or hook, it's just......talking and a random breakdown.

That second part is exactly what makes it not generic, though.

It's not a good song, but I like it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

She still hasn't lived down the SNL performance?

I mean, it was an absolutely dreadful performance, there's no denying that, but you'd think it'd be water under the bridge by now.

It's especially weird because I've never seen an actually good SNL performance- something about their sound system or team or acoustics or whatever reduces every band I've seen on there to coming off as awkward and off-rhythm.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The rumor is she wanted, and wants, to be a rock star and hang with the Flaming Lips and Iggy Pop or whatever but Dr. Luke has her under a really draconian contract for a really long time.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is it any good? I have it on my hard drive but I haven't actually given it a proper listen yet. I've heard a couple of the singles but that's it.

I've been hearing it's kind of a flop sales-wise :(

Imo its fantastic. Its fun, boisterous music but structured as an album in a meaningful/expressive way. It helps if you know a little about recent events in her life, since of all her work so far this is the most autobiographical on close examination of the lyrics.

It's not doing badly in worldwide sales.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I feel like all of the backlash from Artpop is just coming from people who hate the idea of a pop musician taking their own work more seriously than their listeners are.

Pretty much.

It's not narcissistic just because its more autobiographical than her previous work. She just followed that timeless, common bit of advice for writers; "write what you know".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

"Gypsy" sounds like the most autobiographical track, and it's also probably one of her best songs. It would totally slay if she released it as a single (who thought "Venus" would've been a good idea?). But "Donatella"? "Fashion!"? If these are autobiographical (and I suspect they are--more than she would admit), then we have seen the girl behind the "Aura," and there is nothing underneath. She lives for the applause-plause, empty plays of fashion (her Artpop could mean anything) endlessly circling a nonexistent center. It becomes a casebook on Narcissistic Personality Distorder.

The public has given Gags a pass in the past because they thought she was making some grand meta-commentary on fame, but now they're not so sure. It's not "the idea of a pop musician taking their own work more seriously than their listeners" that irks people, but that the pop musician is trying to feed her listeners (and personality cult) pseudointellectual bullshit to mask the fact that she is just shoveling the same tired EDM at them and trying to call it art. It amounts to a another fashion statement--appropriating the visual style and mannerisms of real artists to create the illusion that there is meaning behind it all.

Music is not a form of art, now? Gaga delves into exactly what she means by the term "artpop" on the song ARTPOP, and its not really pretentious or "pseudointellectual" at all; it's a quite simple and straightforward concept. The center of her work is her; an actually-existing person expressing themself through their art.

Applause is not about narcissism. The song is her saying she lives to make people happy above anything else. Its not just empty words; she really does work tirelessly on her art (the music, but all the rest as well), for her fans.

Donatella is about Donatella Versace, not Gaga herself. It's autobiographical only in the sense that they are friends, and fellow artists and collaborators, in real life. It's about both the undeniable allure and downsides of a certain lifestyle, but that's a lifestyle Gaga ultimately rejects- in the end she doesn't live for any of that, she lives for the applause.

Fashion is a form of art, as well, and the song is describing exactly what it means to her and why. Note the key line "this love's not material"- its not about materialism or conspicuous consumptions for their own sakes. The song is not shallow, but your knee-jerk judgment of it based solely on the subject matter is.

Her commentary on fame (and associated subjects- wealth, partying, sexual desirability, the music industry) comes full circle with ARTPOP. Loosely: The Fame was about a fantasy of fame before she had it, The Fame Monster was about the down-side, and Born This Way was her taking responsibility for the platform fame gave her and the fans that hung on her every word. ARTPOP is about her life now that she actually is famous. Throughout the album she describes all the highs of her current lifestyle, but then crashes down from those highs on Dope. She then realizes what she really lives for on Applause, embracing the pros and cons of her travelling performer lifestyle (Gypsy).

Implying that you can diagnose a stranger with a mental disorder from (misunderstanding) songs they wrote is just silly. Also she would definitely "admit" the album is auto-biographical- that's not even like hidden subtext or something, its just the text.

ZakAce posted:

* On that subject, I heard an interview she did with Howard Stern (I think) where she said that she'd paid a lot of attention to the production, trying to ensure it wasn't too loud, and I felt awful for her. I wish someone would tell her about the loudness war - at present, it doesn't matter how much time and effort she spends on the production, it will inevitably be ruined by the aforementioned brickwalling.

Yeah, unfortunately mastering is one of the few parts of the process that AFAIK she has no input into whatsoever. It doesn't bother me on this album though, except for parts of Applause. I definitely think much of Born This Way was hurt by careless mixing or mastering, though.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 27, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

The thought was definitely that Gaga was meta-trolling everyone; just look at the first few pages of the Gaga thread. Or see Lord Krangdar's post.

I didn't say anything about "meta-trolling" there, though. For the most part the themes of ARTPOP are quite straightforward, not buried under layers of ironic or sarcastic meta-commentary. But she has been commenting on, and playing around with, fame and associated ideas for her entire career.

That said, the Telephone video is a pretty blatant example of where she actually was "trolling" and being meta about the conventions of pop videos.

What you're missing is that her need to hide behind a performance or character actually reveals a lot about her- the key is that she has created the character. That stuff isn't hiding "emptiness" (how could it be?), its hiding vulnerability. Her talking about that need is her telling us about herself and how she experiences the world. And its something I think everyone can relate to, to some extent.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana Del Rey (with an EDM track!) and her protegée Lorde (who doesn't even brickwall her poo poo) both had big hits on the charts this year, and both have a much more legitimate claim to the title of "art pop," I think.

Why?

(and why must Lorde be Lana's protegée?)

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 29, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

You can dislike something and still admit its art, though, just like I can dislike a film without coming out saying it wasn't even a film. The title ARTPOP is referring to Gaga's own standards for art, anyway, and not anyone else's.

From what I've heard the comparisons between Lorde and Lana seem very superficial- is it just because both have a more sombre, slower, less bombastic sound than their contemporaries?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Surprised nobody posted Lana Del Rey's new short film / triple music video Tropico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwuHOQLSpEg

Also her new album was announced, called Ultra-Violence.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

ZakAce posted:

Sorry, but Terry Richardson disgusts me even before you get to the sexual harassment allegations.

The allegations are one actual story (from a woman named Jamie Peck) with a bunch of tabloid-level bullshit piled on top. For example, the petition going around about him quotes a tweet from a blatantly satirical Twitter account rumored to be a school project by Scout Willis. They report it as:

quote:

In November 2012, Bruce Willis’ and Demi Moore’s daughter Scout tweeted that “last night Terry Richardson tried to finger me. I didn’t let him, obviously. But I did let him photograph me topless in the bathroom.”

I dunno what he's really guilty of or not, but don't believe everything you read about famous or successful people.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 18, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm the same way. I wish Rihanna would release EPs instead of full albums, there's so much filler on her CDs :(

But you can always just delete the ones you don't like, whereas with an EP version you could't "un-delete" the ones that were left on the cutting room floor.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Lana's West Coast video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxuiw3iMBE

Simple but it has a Mulholland Drive kinda vibe going on. This makes me really excited for Ultraviolence.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

it's about a subtle as a sledgehammer with a healthy amount of that "gently caress you skinny girls, REAL MEN like this" crap that plasters my Facebook feed every day.

This is a better song for that anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17O3lL1aUrg

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

is a terrible song but the video's alright.

Its a perfect song :colbert: but the video's only alright, yeah.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 21, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there any contemporary equivalent? Like, something you can have in your song that'll improve its chances of becoming a hit? Or have we moved past that kind of approach?

Features with more popular artists.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It depends what you really want from lyrics I guess.

Pretty much. Like Lana Del Rey's lyrics are terribble at being relevant to 2015 culture, but are perfect for serving her own aesthetic and pet themes.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Athletic Footjob posted:

You can download the new Rihanna album in MP3 or FLAC for free from Tidal. http://rihanna.tidal.com/redeem/?voucher=ANTI

Did something happen between her and Kanye? I thought the album was supposed to have him as a main producer.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I think he dropped out of the project so he could work on his album.

That makes sense. But the songs that they had already finished and released were also dropped from the album. Maybe just because they were so old by the time it finally was ready.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

so if Luke has an actual history (not just a fabricated one that Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus both deny happened) of treating his female artists like poo poo, there could be something there.

Gaga worked with Dr. Luke?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah, but Kesha's lawyer claimed abuse by him happened to Gaga and Cyrus, which both ladies denied. I mean, if you're gonna make flagrant accusations like that, at least do so with people who have actually worked with him.

Maybe its because Gaga has said she had been sexually coerced in the industry earlier in her career but she's declined to name the person or people involved.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

I'm not super keen on the last couple, not that they're bad but it's a bit they rob it of momentum a bit right at the end.

They seem like outtakes from a totally different album. Possibly a Meghan Trainor album.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

foutre posted:

I mean they did get better but one of her first statements re: working with Dr Luke was "I would like my fans to know that I wouldn’t work with somebody I believe to be an abuser of women, definitely not" which seems pretty explicit. Hard to read that as supporting Kesha...

She obviously meant that her own first-hand experiences with Luke didn't show him to be an abuser.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is a weird post but being trans doesn't make someone immune from criticism, doubly so when their gender has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Kaitlyn Jenner is a very prominent trans woman, but she's also still a total loving piece of poo poo. These two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Being trans doesn't make Petras immune from criticism. But being the first out trans pop-star does probably mean she has less choice of which producers to work with, compared to a cis person at the same level of fame.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

teacup posted:

But not having as much of a choice still leaves Petras with a choice, and Kesha was still a victim, so Petras supporting an abuser is still her choice.

Ok, so imagine Petras had refused to work with Luke early on. Her whole career flushed away, and much of the progress she made for trans people along with it. Meanwhile, Luke is still a multi-millionaire who just goes on to produce for Doja Cat or whoever else comes along. What has actually been accomplished?

I want to live in a world where abusers are held accountable. Not one where the people they have power over are blamed, by proxy. If I had a friend who got into a relationship with someone I knew was abusive in the past, I would be concerned for her and disgusted by the abuser. I would not be focused on criticizing her for "supporting" him. Again, what does that accomplish?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The mindset of blaming Petras for Luke's actions is basically the same mindset as victim blaming, just applied to a slightly different situation. Its still ignoring the power dynamic at play, in the exact same way. Right before Petras started working with Luke, she was part of a discriminated against minority, essentially broke and homeless in a foreign country, living on friend's couches. Luke is her boss in the situation. Essentially, she works for an abuser. Not works with. She is in a very vulnerable spot.

And yeah, she could give up her career to avoid Luke. But Kesha could have too, when Luke first began abusing her. The point is, neither of them should have to (which is why Kesha pushed through and refused to give up, despite everything going against her). Predatorial men are the ones who need to be pushed out of the entertainment industry, not the women they have power over. That's backwards.

To be clear, I don't care who does or does not choose to listen to Petras' music. Its just troubling that because its so hard to hold powerful men accountable, it's become trendy to attack the nearest vulnerable woman instead.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 7, 2020

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Solomon Gumball posted:

She doesn't have to solely work with Luke and he's not her boss. Kobalt is her 'boss' if anything in the sense she chose to be an indie pop artist and sign with AWAL. She's worked with Cheat Codes and Kygo, she's not beholden or prisoner to Luke in any way.

The Kygo song actually included a credit for Luke.

None of us know the exact details of her contracts with him, so we don't know if she could choose to leave him if she wanted to. Kesha couldn't.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Where are the mods? Or is going on a giant screed about how it's fine to hang out with known rapists (and continuing to say we don't know, it's his word vs her, etc which is an insanely cowardly way to defend the fucker) not against any rules?

This response is actually cowardly.