Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konpeito
Nov 3, 2005
I'm mid-30s starting a computer science degree. Please tell me it's not a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What are your goals and what are your other options for reaching them?

Konpeito
Nov 3, 2005
My goals are to make more money and leave my soul crushing healthcare job. I’d like to say I want to do something meaningful or be able to be financially independent eventually but at this point it seems like a silly dream.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Konpeito posted:

My goals are to make more money and leave my soul crushing healthcare job. I’d like to say I want to do something meaningful or be able to be financially independent eventually but at this point it seems like a silly dream.

There's a lot easier ways to make money than by earning a CS degree.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Konpeito posted:

There's always discussion in the Cobol: Newbie thread around this. But a CS Degree is the path if you feel you need structure and a more well rounded education at the expense of time and money. For recent HS grads, I think this is frequently a good pick; most 18-20 year olds are not prepared to enter the professional workforce yet and a degree can open doors. For older folks I think the utility diminishes quickly (though not as much if you are outside of the US).

There are other paths to getting a Software job, though in fairness the failure rate on these other paths can be high. I'd first suggest taking some time and learning some coding on your own. Javascript & Python can be learnt independently. And while independent study is an unlikely (but not impossible) path to a job it is a VERY good start to a next step.

From there, bootcamps are the common path. I hire LOTS of people with previous life experience who switch into coding via bootcamps. Especially for people with degrees already in unrelated fields, this is a far better path than going back for a CS degree. I wouldn't go into a bootcamp cold though. Taking some time on your own to see if coding is something that has any interest is a really good starting point.

I'd also point out that while this path is the fastest path in the world to a 6 figure job, the expectation is that you are doing work on your own and building skills independently. As a hiring manager, I want to see some independent projects you can thoughtfully talk about. You should have learned some stuff beyond just what the bootcamp goes through, etc. My expectations on this are lower for CS Grads, higher for bootcamp people, and much higher for people trying to learn skills independently. So plan accordingly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lockback posted:

Cobol: Newbie thread
Here.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Proust Malone posted:

To the first point, yes I am trying to avoid divorce. I do think I would qualify for alimony or other forms of support. We made it on her one income so I don't think I'd quite be starving. I'm posting here in the career path thread to get an reasonable view about what I could or should do work wise assuming I can't work it out.

I didn't really expect to be a SAHD forever but the nature of being one means the job never really quite ends, there's always more to do with the house and the kids. I took the gig job when the youngest went to kindergarten and I had an offer. It worked for me in that it was project-based so I could go to a site during the day and leave at one or so and leave to pick up the kids, then do the work at night after the kids went to bed or the next day when the kids were at school. The lure of the job was really exercising the muscles of the job/ degree I had worked really hard for. I felt the age of my degree at that point and felt like it was a now or never thing.

I did homeschooling during covid, my wife is now working from home full time. The kids are now back to school full time.

One thing I looked into was teaching. I went and got my basic, test-based cert and could now substitute teach. I know teachers in the district here and they are looking for STEM teachers and have need a long term sub immediately. Pay just got raised too.

Other idea is getting an hourly job in the industry like a fab, refresh my education in some way, then get back on a long term career path.

Other idea is pursuing a niche cert and finding a path that way? Technical writing? Sales? Construction? Code enforcement?

Would strongly reccommend pursuing Construction Engineer or Commissioning Engineer type jobs. (The phrase Power Plant Engineer comes to mind.) It seems like my line of work always is in need of Electrical Engineers who understand the Construction/Commissioning side of things.

Your Navy background, probably puts you at the front of the line IMO.

Maybe not the best long term job, but good for short to medium term.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 28, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I currently work as a production assistant in the assistant director department on a film set and have since 2016. If you're unfamiliar, it's a job that involves 65-90 hours per 5 or 6 day week performing a variety of duties including:

-managing paperwork for 1-200 background actors (extras) and supervising them on set for action and continuity
-supervising principal cast or background readiness with hair, makeup, and wardrobe and coordinating the shooting day with those departments
-Recording the hours for every on set department (80-200 people), as well as other technical notes about the shooting day
-the usual getting coffees and food for actors, directors, and producers

The job is very physically and emotionally demanding. There are few permitted opportunities for PAs to sit down and I more often than not work through lunch. In most roles (even on a soundstage), I will clock 10-20 miles walking. Despite the long days, my job operates on minutes to seconds timescales, where I’m keeping mental checklists and timers of everything from how long it takes a cast member to change outfits to how long a dozen child actors have to work on set before they’re legally forbidden from working to implementing union rules for paying actors and having to be able to answer such questions from an assistant director over a walkie talkie within moments. Working in the emotion factory also requires that I balance constant emotional tightropes, from screaming directors and ADs to millionaire actors throwing temper tantrums while I’m trying to convince them to leave their dressing rooms to go work. All of this responsibility is paid out at $15/hr (NYC’s minimum wage).

My original background was in science. I have a BS in Microbiology with a decently-cited paper to show for it. I moved to the city to go to grad school for a Neuroscience PhD, which after three years fell through after my lab lost grant funding.

I’m looking for a job in NYC that is 9 to 5ish M-F, stable, pays $50k with benefits with some sort of progression possible, doesn’t require going back to school for more than a year, and isn’t for an explicitly evil corporation. I feel confident I could succeed in many different industries and am a very fast learner (virtually everything in science and film is trial and error), but I lack the resumé to apply cold to a lot of places who are unfamiliar with my film industry work. I'm Millennial-standard "good with computers" (i.e. can google my way out of most problems), but have no programming ability. I don't particularly care about WFH ability and would prefer a job that doesn't come home with me off the clock.

If anyone has some general pointers towards trees I should be barking up or is a film industry escapee who successfully transitioned to normal life, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 28, 2021

Konpeito
Nov 3, 2005

skipdogg posted:

There's a lot easier ways to make money than by earning a CS degree.

I’m not really sure where to start and what I’ve seen seems to require some entrepreneurial mindset which I’m not sure I have.

Lockback posted:

There's always discussion in the Cobol: Newbie thread around this. But a CS Degree is the path if you feel you need structure and a more well rounded education at the expense of time and money. For recent HS grads, I think this is frequently a good pick; most 18-20 year olds are not prepared to enter the professional workforce yet and a degree can open doors. For older folks I think the utility diminishes quickly (though not as much if you are outside of the US).

Do appreciate this 🙏. I’m starting my second python course in an online post-bacc after a 3 month break to deal with personal problems. But I will look into the thread and into bootcamps more. Thanks!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I currently work as a production assistant in the assistant director department on a film set and have since 2016. If you're unfamiliar, it's a job that involves 65-90 hours per 5 or 6 day week performing a variety of duties including:

-managing paperwork for 1-200 background actors (extras) and supervising them on set for action and continuity
-supervising principal cast or background readiness with hair, makeup, and wardrobe and coordinating the shooting day with those departments
-Recording the hours for every on set department (80-200 people), as well as other technical notes about the shooting day

The job is very physically and emotionally demanding. There are few permitted opportunities for PAs to sit down and I more often than not work through lunch. In most roles (even on a soundstage), I will clock 10-20 miles walking. Despite the long days, my job operates on minutes to seconds timescales, where I’m keeping mental checklists and timers of everything from how long it takes a cast member to change outfits to how long a dozen child actors have to work on set before they’re legally forbidden from working to implementing union rules for paying actors and having to be able to answer such questions from an assistant director over a walkie talkie within moments. Working in the emotion factory also requires that I balance constant emotional tightropes, from screaming directors and ADs to millionaire actors throwing temper tantrums while I’m trying to convince them to leave their dressing rooms to go work. All of this responsibility is paid out at $15/hr (NYC’s minimum wage).

My original background was in science. I have a BS in Microbiology with a decently-cited paper to show for it. I moved to the city to go to grad school for a Neuroscience PhD, which after three years fell through after my lab lost grant funding.

I’m looking for a job in NYC that is 9 to 5ish M-F, stable, pays $50k with benefits with some sort of progression possible, doesn’t require going back to school for more than a year, and isn’t for an explicitly evil corporation. I feel confident I could succeed in many different industries and am a very fast learner (virtually everything in science and film is trial and error), but I lack the resumé to apply cold to a lot of places who are unfamiliar with my film industry work. I'm Millennial-standard "good with computers" (i.e. can google my way out of most problems), but have no programming ability. I don't particularly care about WFH ability and would prefer a job that doesn't come home with me off the clock.

If anyone has some general pointers towards trees I should be barking up or is a film industry escapee who successfully transitioned to normal life, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

This is secondhand but a relative of mine got a film degree and got a job at a generic large company setting up and filming whatever they need filmed. Shareholder meetings, sales videos, public youtube page, stuff like that. They enjoy it and there's no film industry craziness; they're paid and treated like any other office worker. I don't know the job titles sorry.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

This is secondhand but a relative of mine got a film degree and got a job at a generic large company setting up and filming whatever they need filmed. Shareholder meetings, sales videos, public youtube page, stuff like that. They enjoy it and there's no film industry craziness; they're paid and treated like any other office worker. I don't know the job titles sorry.

Thanks! I’ve examined that route a bit and the difficulty with that is I don’t have the technical expertise to actually put the equipment together and film something by myself. I could supervise an external crew that would do that, but having worked on union sets and having not gone to film school, I was never taught the trade of lighting, framing, shooting, and editing video.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

You'd be an excellent producer at an ad agency. Could probably manoeuvre it into account management or production management given how well you know the ins and outs of film work.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Have you tried applying to research associate roles anywhere? Depending on what your prior lab experience looks like, biotech might be a good fit if you're interested in that. Not sure what the biotech / pharma scene looks like in NYC though.

Could also be that you absolutely hated the lab and I wouldn't recommend it if that's the case but your background is probably still relevant enough to get your foot in the door.

E: out of the lab since 2016 might be tough, but worth applying to companies I think.
E2: doesn't seem like there's much in NYC outside of hospitals. Regeneron is up in Tarrytown and there's a lot in NJ (Merck, BMS) but not sure if these qualify as evil for you're requirements. Definitely don't meet the NYC requirement.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 6, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm in NY and would have to go back to school for a CLT cert for any lab tech job and for most research tech/assocoate jobs I would be unqualified without a PhD.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Wasn't really thinking for clinical stuff to be honest. You absolutely do not need to finish your PhD though. There's plenty of non PhD positions available.

My mind was thinking something similar to this : RA in Cambridge MA

But like I was mentioning it's slim pickings in your area for this kind of work. Depending on what your skillset looked like there could be opportunities worth searching for with Research Associate or Associate Scientist titles.

Biopharmguy.com has an entry level board and company listings you might be interested in checking out. If you're interested in leveraging your mol.bio degree that is.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hi BFC I’m in a weird spot.

Hi again BFC goons.

I ended up holding out until I got my degree that I mentioned - unsurprisingly I had a lot of work to finish in the closing months of it so I had plenty to focus on. Once I finished I immediately set out on a very dedicated job hunt.

I ended up at the start of this week with an offer for another “engineer” titled position, but I put the pressure on another company I was interviewing with for a TPM position to make me an offer and it’s imminent - now I can consider both offers. Either will be a sizable jump in pay. The TPM job is my first choice - good benefits and a new industry (which I’m interested in and I see growth in.) I definitely got a good vibe from interviews with the team. I’m sure this is mostly the “woo new job more money” sort of hype talking, but I feel like I managed to thread a needle into a perfect role in so many ways. I’m doing my best to stay grounded, though!

Maybe circumstances would have played out the same but the folks who reassured me in this thread toward the TPM role earlier this year definitely gave me some extra backbone to say “Of course I can do this job” which helped the whole process of applying, interviewing, etc. A totally third party perspective can be so super helpful.

So thanks BFC!

e: holy poo poo I almost doubled my loving pay.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 8, 2021

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I think the philanthropic sector might be a good option for your skillset and your wants out of your next career. It's a sector that a lot of people transition to from very diverse backgrounds. Given your administrative and coordinating skills, I think you could definitely leverage them into an entry-level role. Fundraisers are very much in demand and there are never enough (good) people for the positions. Just did a quick glance at entry-level fundraising roles in NYC (Development Coordinator, Associate, Assistant) and there are quite a few that start at $50k. Promotion opportunities internally or externally are plentiful in the field. You wouldn't need any training or education for these entry-level roles to get one of the positions, but getting an online learning certification in Raiser's Edge or a similar fundraising database would put you well ahead of many applicants to those roles.

In the entry-level roles you generally won't take your work home with you, but as you progress you will definitely lose some nights due to events, big meetings, etc. At least in my experience though this has usually translated to more vacation time but this is in Canada so I'm not entirely sure what the situation would be like in the States.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm in NY and would have to go back to school for a CLT cert for any lab tech job and for most research tech/assocoate jobs I would be unqualified without a PhD.

I'm sure you could land a clinical research associate job at a contract research organisation. Likely mostly remote. Alternatively a clinical research assistant or maybe coordinator job.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Need some advice goons. I apologize in advance for navel gazing, so I’ll try to avoid rambling.

I’ve spent the past eight years (post-college) in procurement roles, with a two year stint as a “business analyst.” I’m not sure how much building excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides with simple sql queries counts as being a BA, but there it is. In my current role, I negotiate with suppliers over long term contracts, price increases, stocking levels, etc. I’m dangerously close to experiencing “I’m putting in my two weeks” levels of burnout. The current god-awful supply chain environment contributes to this, but does not cause it.

I suspect my root issue here is the constant anxiety about my job, no matter where I work. This is probably partially impostor syndrome, partially minor PTSD after being laid off once, and partially just being an anxious person.

I’m looking for career or specific job recommendations. drat near anything is on the table as I’m stable financially for a 31-year-old and my parents have offered to pay my living expenses while I attend re-education (very generous of them). This is not the plan, but it is an option if it comes to that.

Little about me, if it matters - business BA+ MBA, eight years combined procurement/analyst roles, enjoy relationship building and giving people what they need, giving guidance or advice on topics I know a lot about, I like personal finance and wealth building, and I would deeply value working from home. I deeply dislike roles where my job performance is based on factors some what or mostly out of my control (for example, in my current role a lot of my stress points are due to vendors being unable to fulfill orders on time or at all). I think a major component of my work anxiety is due to feeling incompetent at my job, wherever I go. A job where I feel good at my job would help a lot with most of my problems with work, but I’m honestly not sure how to get to that point. At my current job I regularly receive extremely positive feedback from most/all peers and I still feel like a potato.

I’m guessing my advice will be “you’ll be unhappy wherever you go due to your underlying personal issues so go to therapy and maybe get medicated.” Fair. But I’m also interested if anyone has guidance beyond this toward a career that better matches my interests.

E: gently caress this post ended up long

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How did you enjoy the business analyst role?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Lockback posted:

How did you enjoy the business analyst role?

I enjoyed crunching numbers and providing my thoughts to my boss, an SVP who regularly reported out based on my information.

That said, I didn’t feel like a “real” business analyst. I transitioned into this role from a procurement role and just used basic knowledge of computers to put together basic excel reports and basic SQL queries. Someone earlier in the thread was talking about “it’s not about your hard skills, though you need them, it’s about how you use them.” If I had some formal training on this and felt like a “real analyst” I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. That’s partially on me for not pursuing formal education opportunities in the role and partially on my manager for being a very “do this, exactly like this, and give me the output. I’d do it myself but I don’t have time” type.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you aren't gonna feel good about being good at your job by switching jobs, you are gonna get there through :therapy: so if you are kind of discounting that absolutely do not do so

you sound kind of vaguely aligned for a consulting role (you like advisory stuff, relationship building, can use excel/ppt/sql competently) but i dunno how hard you want to work, i get the impression from your post that the answer is Not That Hard but tell me I'm wrong if so.

i am really interested to hear about these white collar jobs where the results are within your control. i am having a hard time thinking of any off hand.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you have a biz undergrad and mba you've got the training to be a business analyst as you described it.

Maybe what you want is a BA career path where you are encouraged to improve those skills + more critical thinking and advising as you mature?

Which points to consulting like someone above said. If you are willing/able to grind for a little while.

But your last point is really the heart of the matter. You're never going to feel comfortable. Hell, to some degree that feeling is right even. Same for full or even majority control over outcomes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also dogg you have a MBA if you make your parents pay for reeducation thats basically elder abuse

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you aren't gonna feel good about being good at your job by switching jobs, you are gonna get there through :therapy: so if you are kind of discounting that absolutely do not do so

you sound kind of vaguely aligned for a consulting role (you like advisory stuff, relationship building, can use excel/ppt/sql competently) but i dunno how hard you want to work, i get the impression from your post that the answer is Not That Hard but tell me I'm wrong if so.

i am really interested to hear about these white collar jobs where the results are within your control. i am having a hard time thinking of any off hand.

I have kind of a mental block on therapy as I’ve had just about the easiest life possible so why the gently caress do I need therapy? But I understand that’s a stupid mentality when chemical imbalances are chemical imbalances.

Hard to answer how hard I want to work. I’m willing to work long hours if I feel satisfied in my job and that I am progressing my career, yes that is a squishy answer… but if it feels like meaningless busy work, not so much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also dogg you have a MBA if you make your parents pay for reeducation thats basically elder abuse

They just inherited a bunch of money and have been in a “solve problems by throwing money at it” mood lately. I would probably decline.

Xguard86 posted:

If you have a biz undergrad and mba you've got the training to be a business analyst as you described it.

Maybe what you want is a BA career path where you are encouraged to improve those skills + more critical thinking and advising as you mature?

Which points to consulting like someone above said. If you are willing/able to grind for a little while.

But your last point is really the heart of the matter. You're never going to feel comfortable. Hell, to some degree that feeling is right even. Same for full or even majority control over outcomes.

I’m interested in consulting but have never even considered it because who would pay me and for what expertise? I’m sure you understand the feeling. That said, I would be interested in that or a more conventional business analyst role. I think I would take some courses (online CC or some paid site like Udemy) to learn the basics of Tableau and more SQL. I hear R is good too but it obviously depends on what the job uses.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cretin90 posted:

That’s partially on me for not pursuing formal education opportunities in the role and partially on my manager for being a very “do this, exactly like this, and give me the output. I’d do it myself but I don’t have time” type.

lol, that's a BA. When you get more senior+ you start doing more interesting things but it sounds like you were doing bog standard BA work.

I think consulting would be good from a career path (you have the right skills already, they'll train domain knowledge), but just be aware that there'll be more imposter syndrome and "why am I doing this?" stress. Maybe it'll be better if you know going in?

As for skills, Tableau is good, as is SQL. Learn some noSQL and maybe even some basic Python (if you like it you can open up a bunch of avenues, if you don't not a big deal). You can do this all on your own.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Cretin90 posted:

Need some advice goons. I apologize in advance for navel gazing, so I’ll try to avoid rambling.

I’ve spent the past eight years (post-college) in procurement roles, with a two year stint as a “business analyst.” I’m not sure how much building excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides with simple sql queries counts as being a BA, but there it is. In my current role, I negotiate with suppliers over long term contracts, price increases, stocking levels, etc. I’m dangerously close to experiencing “I’m putting in my two weeks” levels of burnout. The current god-awful supply chain environment contributes to this, but does not cause it.

I suspect my root issue here is the constant anxiety about my job, no matter where I work. This is probably partially impostor syndrome, partially minor PTSD after being laid off once, and partially just being an anxious person.

I’m looking for career or specific job recommendations. drat near anything is on the table as I’m stable financially for a 31-year-old and my parents have offered to pay my living expenses while I attend re-education (very generous of them). This is not the plan, but it is an option if it comes to that.

Little about me, if it matters - business BA+ MBA, eight years combined procurement/analyst roles, enjoy relationship building and giving people what they need, giving guidance or advice on topics I know a lot about, I like personal finance and wealth building, and I would deeply value working from home. I deeply dislike roles where my job performance is based on factors some what or mostly out of my control (for example, in my current role a lot of my stress points are due to vendors being unable to fulfill orders on time or at all). I think a major component of my work anxiety is due to feeling incompetent at my job, wherever I go. A job where I feel good at my job would help a lot with most of my problems with work, but I’m honestly not sure how to get to that point. At my current job I regularly receive extremely positive feedback from most/all peers and I still feel like a potato.

I’m guessing my advice will be “you’ll be unhappy wherever you go due to your underlying personal issues so go to therapy and maybe get medicated.” Fair. But I’m also interested if anyone has guidance beyond this toward a career that better matches my interests.

E: gently caress this post ended up long

Here is something that might be useful for you: try to identify, based on past experience and what you know about yourself, the set of requirements that a job/career would have that would help you to enjoy it or at least tolerate it, and then look for something like that. Do some really deep thinking and soul searching on this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Re consulting:

They aren't paying for your expertise. They're paying for the expertise of the principals/partners and the firm leveraged through you. So no problems there.

It's not a panacea and consulting firms just adore nerotic overachievers they can ride into the ground. so soul search first and try to get a handle on the anxieties.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

insecure overachievers is the profile

Oldowan
Jun 13, 2014

Cretin90 posted:

I enjoyed crunching numbers and providing my thoughts to my boss, an SVP who regularly reported out based on my information.

That said, I didn’t feel like a “real” business analyst. I transitioned into this role from a procurement role and just used basic knowledge of computers to put together basic excel reports and basic SQL queries. Someone earlier in the thread was talking about “it’s not about your hard skills, though you need them, it’s about how you use them.” If I had some formal training on this and felt like a “real analyst” I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. That’s partially on me for not pursuing formal education opportunities in the role and partially on my manager for being a very “do this, exactly like this, and give me the output. I’d do it myself but I don’t have time” type.

Have you thought about renewable industry asset management for wind/solar projects? its primarily a commercial role, with a mix of finance (excel) and technical skills (basics of operations). You would just need to learn the basics to get your foot in the door, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP
I'm looking to switch out of university administration. It's been low-stress and flexible which has been great for raising two little kids, but the smallest one will be heading to public school soon and I think I'm ready to move on in the near future.

I enjoyed: Using Excel, Adobe Creative Suite for making flyers/swag, SketchUp for visualizing space renovations/proposals, coordinating with the facilities for those renovations & maintenance.

I would prefer to not do: outreach & events. Never want to plan a staff event again. Before this job I worked in account management/ad operations, and I do not want do that again either (I actually did a brief contract gig for an old co-worker... it confirmed I made the right decision of leaving).

I was neutral on: doing procurement/purchasing, budget stuff

I've done a little research, and I'm wondering if anyone has insight about getting into the following fields:

-Project Management: I did a lot of coordinating, and I like working with the facilities department.
-GIS: During the early downtime of COVID, I took some GIS courses at my local CC and enjoyed them. It seems a lot of GIS jobs are more IT/python heavy than what I learned though.
-Digital Asset Management: Came across this field while considering librarianship, when I took a Controlled Vocabulary/Taxonomy course.

More specifically: is it worth pursuing further education to get into these fields? Any specific skills I should look to learn/show off? Hiring trends?

pizzapocketparty fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 1, 2021

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Leaning away from consulting, doesn't sound like my speed. Maybe if I fall into it.

Oldowan posted:

Have you thought about renewable industry asset management for wind/solar projects? its primarily a commercial role, with a mix of finance (excel) and technical skills (basics of operations). You would just need to learn the basics to get your foot in the door, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Would you mind posting or PMing me a sample job posting or job title for this? Sounds interesting.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think I may have posted a similar post to this when I first started a role earlier this year about potential worries although it may have been in another thread. Looking for a bit of advice.

I started as a senior QA tester/QA lead at a small games company, the job spec said Senior QA, in the interviews it was clearly a QA lead role and when they offered me it I asked for the salary appropriate for that level, which they accepted. It's been an alright half a year or so but I feel like I'm experiencing/approaching burnout way quicker than I have at any job before and wanted to bounce some questions off this thread.

Firstly I feel like I'm now being asked to do about 3 more job roles, our producer left a month ago and I was already doing stuff that I feel like is more of a producers responsibility at other places I've worked (which I partly didn't mind since it was giving me some exposure to poo poo I hadn't done, it's just untenable long term). Since they left I'm now doing more and being asked to do more in the future while they try and hire someone else, it feels like they might have burned them out since they had only started a month or so before me but I don't know where she was going so maybe she just got a ridiculously cool offer. It feels like they're dragging their feet on a replacement though.

The issue is the stuff I'm being asked to do is quite outside my wheelhouse and I have no one to teach me/show me how to do it and it feels like no time to do it because I have to still get hands on and test the game alongside my team (and it is going to be a complex game to test). So I just feel constantly stressed out and unable to like, switch off when I'm done for the day or at the weekend. My friends have remarked that I seem less present since I started the job. They've also asked everyone to start going back into the office now so I'm going to be spending more money and time commuting to do a job I've been doing from home just fine which is not improving my mood.

Secondly, I think this place will probably have an unhealthy attitude when it comes to crunch time, people working from home means I don't have great visibility but I know I've gotten slack messages from people at ridiculous times and apparently my manager worked til midnight every day a few weeks back, which is pretty nuts imo. I really don't want to be doing that at this point in my life.

My manager has suggested I ask my peers in the industry for advice which I have done, I've been putting a relatively positive spin when describing my position and the people I've talked to have said "yeah that sounds like a rough place/situation, maybe start looking elsewhere?" which is what I'm doing I guess, just probably not what he was expecting me to glean from that.

I'm unsure if the problem is I'm being asked to do a lot or maybe I've just been promoted above the level I usually enjoy, I prefer getting hands on, writing test cases and assigning them out/running them, mentoring new team members and things like that and I dislike stuff like, spreadsheeting out bug metrics and spending inordinate time in meetings. The issue I found for a long time was I was never getting interviews for tester positions, only more and more senior roles so I've just found myself drifting up. I guess my question is, are there any potential avenues for other careers that might make sense for me aside from QA testing?

What I'm thinking of doing is giving it a few weeks of going into the office to see how I feel while trying to work out what I do want to do and then making a decision about what to do job wise. I have saved up a lot of money so I could definitely survive while doing some courses/self directed learning and maybe doing a bit of volunteer work or something. A lot of people I know have made the jump to software testing which seems less stressful and more lucrative.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 1, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, QA Lead is not going to be an easy job but:

A) The game industry in particular is bad about burning people out and not providing enough infrastructure so, yeah, it's probably bad and I don't think the crunch/offhours stuff will get better

B) Without hearing specifics I think you're doing stuff well outside of your job. Like you said, a little of that can be a good thing until it impacts your main job/life and it sounds like your there.
You will definitely have regular meetings as a QA Lead but being the guy responsible every week for reliability and velocity reports like bug reporting should be a manager or some kind of delivery manager.

C) There's a bit that you may need to give some thoughts on how you want your career to go because your probably going to drift upward into stuff you don't like.

So what should you do?

A) I'd definitely start looking around because now is a great time to find good opportunities. Probably is good to start going that anyway even if you want to try to fix this.

B) While doing above, it sounds like your manager maybe is open to discuss it? (Talk to peers is kinda weird advice). Personally I'd come back and say "My peers say I'm doing multiple people's jobs and I should find something else", which is kind of a nice way to make it clear it needs to be fixed or you're gone without it being a direct threat.

He might give you a favor and say "Tough" because then you know you should run.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lockback posted:

I mean, QA Lead is not going to be an easy job but:
B) Without hearing specifics I think you're doing stuff well outside of your job. Like you said, a little of that can be a good thing until it impacts your main job/life and it sounds like your there.
You will definitely have regular meetings as a QA Lead but being the guy responsible every week for reliability and velocity reports like bug reporting should be a manager or some kind of delivery manager.

C) There's a bit that you may need to give some thoughts on how you want your career to go because your probably going to drift upward into stuff you don't like.

So what should you do?
B) While doing above, it sounds like your manager maybe is open to discuss it? (Talk to peers is kinda weird advice). Personally I'd come back and say "My peers say I'm doing multiple people's jobs and I should find something else", which is kind of a nice way to make it clear it needs to be fixed or you're gone without it being a direct threat.

He might give you a favor and say "Tough" because then you know you should run.

Cheers for the answers, yeah for specifics I'm looking into accessibility options/features and how that's going to be implemented/making recommendations, I'm going to be talking to and organising the external contractors when we start using them (which I'd expect to be doing as the QA guy so that's fair enough), I'm assigning out all the bugs to the dev team (which I don't mind doing but it's definitely not how I've ever worked elsewhere and the people I've talked to echo that) and yeah reporting and suchlike, working out production deadlines and when we'd need to submit stuff to the various companies we're going to be working with. Then the usual things you would definitely expect a QA lead to be doing like, leading testing on the project and making sure the team finds the bugs, writes them well and then checking they are fixed when they come back and answering any questions the dev team care to throw at me. I know at small companies you're expected to wear a couple hats but it is a bit much.

For C) I know drifting upwards is the usual, some would even say ideal form of progression. I just feel like I skipped a hugely formative role that'd teach me some of what I'm lacking somewhere in the middle there, I went from tester to individual team lead very quickly when I started in games and then have been in that role for a long time and then moved up to QA Lead and as you seem to have picked up, this place seems to want me to be a producer/QA Lead/QA tester and a Release/Submissions Manager all at once.

For the "What should I do" bit.
For B) Yeah "talking to my peers" is definitely slightly odd advice both because I figure pretty much everyone does it in general, I was doing it anyway for sure and because it's a bit like throwing your hands up and saying "go talk to someone else". I think he just doesn't know much about QA and so is at a bit of a loss, we have fortnightly catchups and he feels obligated to say something.

I'll definitely start looking, one of the things I asked other people was "is it to soon to be seen to be moving on from a job" and they all said "nah, it's fine" cause I was worried it would look real bad to be leaving after 7 months. I suspect if I do what you suggest he'll say "tough" but in some slightly more ambiguous language.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am wondering if this is an appropriate thread to ask questions about data center work?

I currently work as a transmission dispatcher for a larger electric utility that includes critical and emergency operations. But my particular department has been on the slow slide to implosion. So I have been looking to find other industries that I might be able to transition to so I don’t have to move.

I have been trying to decipher the job postings for data centers in my area. There is a Microsoft and a new Facebook data center in my area. Some sort of critical facility manager role seems like it could be a possible fit. Microsoft has a version that is an IC role (at other locations) that I would probably have to wait for it to open. But Facebook seems to want a few years of people management under applicants belt. Any idea of how much direct supervision they are really going to want? I have not had direct management over people positions, but I have been in a lead role for a few years now.

Any other insight into data center operations and how to possibly figure out how and where I might be best suited to leverage my work skills would be appreciated.

If it matters, my entire 20ish year career in the electric utility has been in dispatch operations of some sort. I have visited the field, and watched high voltage equipment being operated. But I have no formal training or experience in physically operating equipment in the field. I have plenty of SCADA monitoring and remote equipment operation experience though. And I figure a decent selling point is that I currently work 24x7 rotating shift work, and would be willing to continue working shift work (depending on the rotation. There are some roatations out there that I will just refuse).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Usually whenever a role says "Supervision experience required" that's not usually something where you'd move into from an IC role. However I'd imagine data centers are probably hurting for people so this is probably the best time in memory to make that jump. I also think though they will be keen on technical/software skills so try to emphasize that.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's my Career Path; out smarting everyone else

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

e

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Am I gonna have to start a farm and live off the fat of the land?

So it's been a little over two years and since then I've been a woodworker, a landscaper, and a forestry tech. Currently I'm working at the ivory tower of tree breeding research, development, and conservation. It's cool, government work and I'd like to move up in the ranks. It's a really weird place, hierarchy wise but the best I can figure is there's two distinct paths, one that deals with the growing of the trees, and one that deals with the breeding and accumulation of genetic material. Both super interesting, just one has you staying in house and the other gets you to do a considerable amount of field work. The tricky part seems to be making up the education gaps between the different positions. Technically you can do it all on the government's dime, but in order to do it you also have to do it during working hours, but with the understanding that your regular responsibilities won't suffer in place of the education. Has anybody dealt with government in this capacity before? It's probably not unique to my province's government policies. Also if anyone has any advice on faking your BA/BEd degrees into a BSci it would be greatly appreciated.