Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

I pretty much despise Mike Bloomberg but if he's going to make any democrat with an A rating from the NRA an endangered species I can live with that.

If only all districts were in inner cities that suffer from gun violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

By playing this this in primaries, you're moving the party to the left. Just look how terrified so called "mainstream" republican senators and house members are of being primaried by some crazy tea bagger with tons of Koch money, there is no equivalent on the left other than maybe this bloomberg group.

This was literally the easiest primary in the world to work this issue, I would be more surprised if it failed to be honest. Tell me when someone like this guy gets primaried for his gun issues and maybe you'll have an argument.

(and yes, the fact that gun issues don't appear on his page is the point, he still has an A rating from the NRA and no one cares)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

Walz is bad on gun issues but since he didn't even get 50% in 2012 he would probably be lower on the list of targets if you were drawing up a map for where Bloomberg should be spending...

a map of where Bloomberg should be spending are Inner cities followed by Connecticut's 5th, or basically the easiest targets on the map.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ogmius815 posted:

What's wrong with Jim Himes? He seems pretty reasonable to me. He's my representative, technically. He's a former finance hack but he's reasonably liberal anyway. Anyone more liberal than him will be beaten by a Republican from Greenwich or New Canaan or some godawful place like that.

It's a Sandy Hook reference.

e: Specifically, it's an easy district because that's where Newtown is located.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

West of the Mississippi they're "least concern" and actually considered a "nuisance animal" in Texas and don't require a permit to kill. Most other western states issue a few tags a year.

I think that's a literal lion though, not a cougar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

Hey if you fucks are going anywhere, Oregon gets to come with you. You're not allowed to escape without us and Washington coming along for the ride.

Continental Drift is sort of making that inevitable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

glowing-fish posted:

In Oregon there is pretty much nothing of note in races for office. Ballot measures are another story entirely, Oregon has a good chance of legalizing marijuana in 2014, but maybe that goes in another thread?

I think a general ballot proposition thread would be good (or at the very least it would fit in here).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr Christmas posted:

Why does it seem like only Democrats have to worry about such silly things like finding a candidate who isn't a gibbering moron?

Because there are more red states than blue states.

Alternatively, check out the Massachusetts thread.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's only a handful of districts that are actually competitive where, with the other 400+ districts, if you run with a D or R by your name, you win. Of course if a Congressional candidate does something spectacularly stupid/horrible or if a larger issue is being debated across the nation, that can take over and thrust people over the finish line who normally wouldn't have a chance.

Really, expanding a House majority doesn't do much unless you want to talk about Republican infighting. Once you're the majority, you're the majority. A lesser minority doesn't have less power. They still have the same no-power that they did before.

The only relevant thing would be the 2/3 required for an Amendment but that's never getting through the Senate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mooyashi posted:

I think I've said this before but thanks to the internet whenever I hear about the governor of Idaho I think of a gay fursona.

Having lived in the state that's probably not that far off considering our other high profile politicians at the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

knife super power posted:

The House has voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act almost 40 times now. They know it won't become law, they just do it to placate their base.

Not just placating the base, the last repeal was "so that the freshmen Republicans could have a vote for Obamacare Repeal on their record".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jeffersonlives posted:

I think it would very much help Christie with the extreme conservative outlets to actually appoint a true believer, though. I don't know why he'd go seeking their help, but the real activist types actually do know the difference between a generic squishy establishment type and, well, not.

At the same time though, it's very much at odds with most everything else he's done. I think even the people who hate you will respect you more if you're a known quantity rather than pandering for votes (see: Willard "Mitt" Romney).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I don't think Mormon Democrats will be terribly relevant in 2014. To be relevant, they need A. a state/district with plenty of Mormons, and B. a race which is already competitive enough that a 5-10% shift in the LDS vote would change the outcome. But each of those criteria tends to cancel each other out. There are plenty of Mormons in Idaho, but even if you shift the LDS vote 10% to the left, Butch Otter is still going to win.

There are other seats than the governor though, and Idaho elected a blue House rep in 2008 (granted he was basically Ron Paul but still).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Anybody interesting in Texas? Is Kinky a Republican yet?

Texas Dems couldn't win a seat when they have 60% of the vote, it's really maddening.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

With Alzheimer's affecting an increasing chunk of the population mental acuity tests at the very least will be necessary. Good luck getting boomers to vote fire anything that might possibly weaken their influence though.

Well, that and it's basically a literacy test for old people instead of black people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Medical tests to determine if due to advancing years and physical deterioration of the brain one is no longer capable to carry out a role are in no way the same as jim crow. One will never be too black to carry out a role, one can objectively be too senile however.

Or are you seriously suggesting the increased scrutiny of older drivers: http://www.iihs.org/laws/olderdrivers.aspx is akin to police profiling of minority drivers?

You can be too stupid (which is correlated to race) to carry out a role, and that's exactly what happened the last time we had literacy tests.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gfanikf posted:

Don't you mean gun control, not gun safety?

Quiet, you're ruining his reframing attempt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
considering "Literally no one" was who was going to run before I think against a non-incumbent she might have a shot.

On the other hand, Texas Democrats.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Highspeeddub posted:

But you would think with DC right next door there would be more Virginia governors stepping into the White House. Doesn't happen. They become senators but that's not really moving to a higher level.

To be fair the last guy from a state closest to DC was either GHWB or FDR. It's not as though Maryland has its share of presidents either.

e: Aside from Ohio, Texas, California, and New York no governorships really have a consistent trend of moving to a higher level (and for Ohio and New York that's going back 120 years).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 23, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StarMagician posted:

If you're successful, at some point we WILL be spending enough on education. How much is enough? Give me an upper bound here.

For instance, my school district was able to give a quality education to anyone who wanted one. It wasn't perfect, but it was not at all inadequate. We produced world class scholars, dropouts, and everyone in between, and every student had a decent opportunity for any of those outcomes. Our gifted programs and extracurriculars were not the best in the region, but they were competitive. The district's total outlays in 2013 were $350 million, and 40,000 students were enrolled. That's an average expenditure of $8750 per student. If the school board asked for more, I would probably vote no.

I'm not arguing that many schools aren't adequately funded, but if all of your arguments are reducible to "more money more money MORE money MORE MONEY MORE MONEY" don't be surprised when the public stops taking you seriously. Figure out how much money you need, campaign on that amount and declare victory when you've got it. If it turns out afterward that public schools still aren't fixed, then perhaps money wasn't the problem in the first place.

The problem is that richer schools are both more successful and require the least amount of money, so if you ask for more than that people just say "oh no we're doing fine with $X from that school down the road".

The reason richer schools require less money is that infrastructure and overhead are already paid for (by this I mean everything from the school building itself to things like computers to just enough teachers for an adequate teacher:student ratio), whereas with poor schools they have to develop that infrastructure from scratch.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sancho posted:

Eh depends where you did this. Building regulations in AZ are the only way our houses don't spontaneously combust. We have some seriously, SERIOUSLY shady contractors. I'd put ours against any of the other 49 states any day if there was a skim-off or embezzling contest.

I'm speaking anecdotally but the house across the street has been under construction for over a year now and it's making me think they're pulling some Breaking Bad mobile meth house in there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Jimmy Carter's grandson, Georgia State Senator Jason Carter is going to challenge Deal for Georgia Governor next year. I'm kinda surprised by that, I really thought that Scott Holcomb was going to jump on that as he seems to have more conservative sway, but perhaps he correctly sees the race as doomed, even if Deal isn't very popular. Either way its another big name scion running.

Is Carter remembered at all for his tenure in Georgia or did his presidency wipe all of that away?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

De Nomolos posted:

Is there any state that has a well-organized Democratic or even Republican Party anymore? It seems like in the former case it's always a bunch of hacks playing like they matter and in the latter it's either a Senior Citizen Club or a shell for Tea Party or Ron Paul orgs. I know in VA the GOP is definitely swinging between Ron Paul and general Teabaggery (usually breaking down based on whether there's a military base nearby) and the DPVA is a handful of old line Civil Rights activists and a bunch of white guilt NoVA liberals, with a few Obamamaniacs from red areas who just want a friend thrown in.

Rick Perry has made a very impressive machine here in Texas. I think by definition parties who are in states they don't control would be less organized though because good organization can make up for a lot of other deficiencies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gygaxian posted:

Very informative, thanks. So NoVa is basically the NYC (except a collection of cities, rather than just one) of Virgina? Totally different from the rest of the state, and both groups look down on each other culturally? Interesting. We have a similar dynamic here in Utah; Salt Lake City is completely different from the rest of Utah, and both SLC and the rest of Utah hate each other for cultural differences. Salt Lake County (which is called Salt Lake or SLCO) has the same stereotypes to a lesser extent, and is getting more and more liberal (even the Mormons here are relatively liberal).

Thanks again, that explains a lot.

You see this in basically any urban-rural divide. I mean poo poo even somewhere like Idaho the difference between Boise and the rural part of the state is staggering (LGBT flags vs Nazi flags, and I'm not exaggerating on that).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't understand why the minimum wage isn't permanently indexed to inflation (or, for that matter, deflation).

Because that would make sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can't impeach people for being incompetent.

According to Wikipedia:

So unless Obama has committed treason, bribed someone, or performed some other "high crimes and misdemeanors" they've got no case.

The last impeachment case was for perjury regarding adultery.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's also already precedent for redistricting in between censuses so if Democrats really want to retake a bunch of state legislatures they could fix all of the problems by 2018 if they make a big sweep of 2016.

But you know, :effort: .

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Armyman25 posted:

I'm honestly curious to see what a Republican Congress with a Republican President would sign into law. How crazy would it get?

Mitt would probably sign anything , likely you would see defunding of various government programs and probably a war somewhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nth Doctor posted:

Is it Texas law to print ballots in English and Spanish? Or is this another attempt at hispanic outreach after the Cruz Missile failed?

Yes, apparently it is/was a part of the VRA to have to provide voting material in another language if that language was spoken by at least 5% of the population.

Harris County (Houston) in particular apparently also has to do so for Vietnamese.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

menino posted:

A little off topic, but how is Houston? I'm moving there for the summer. It seems like it's not as "Texas" as I imagined.

Lots of traffic, muggy as gently caress, and the suburbs have incredibly terrible people. I've heard the downtown is nice though, and I've been there a few times.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

Houston is pretty much the result of a SimCity 3000 competition for "Lowest Score For A City Of Population > One Million"

Reminder:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even if you exclude all of the Democrats with a negative PVI it's pretty clear that the blue line is a lot steeper than the red one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The X-man cometh posted:

They passed the bill, and then stopped talking about it completely once Boehner said he wouldn't bring it to the floor. That's not fighting for it, that's caving.
They should have been railing against the "obstructionism" of the House and making it a serious issue. Fighting over a bill could draw more immigrants (Asians as well) to vote than a passed law.

Considering Boehner almost didn't let a bill get to the floor that would've literally destroyed the world financial systems had it not passed I don't think there was a lot the Democrats could do about that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Monkey Fracas posted:

I oftentimes wonder what our elections would look like if we pulled an Australia and just required everyone to vote.

You'd see 80% of the VAP vote because VAP is a bad measure of turnout.

(Also that graph is literally just "what percentage of the electorate is over/under age X" so it wouldn't change anything).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ravenfood posted:

Not putting it on a Tuesday with (sometimes) pretty restrictive hours would help.

Usually early voting is a lot more relaxed and coincidentally that's what is being killed right now in state legislatures.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It was by no means a happy accident that Bush failed to "reform" social security at the height of his power.

There's a difference between reforming and expanding SS, especially when you could argue that expanding it would make it insolvent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sad Banana posted:

I don't have a specific poll to back me up, but Rasmussen (I know, they're poo poo) usually puts out polls about people not believing they'll get the benefits they've been promised.

Anecdotal, but as a college student who's talked about SS with mostly liberal, albeit largely apathetic, people at my school, I believe the polls you mention. Among the students I talked to, the belief that SS is on the verge of insolvency was widespread.

It's about as divorced a topic as you can get for young people. I mean yeah they'll get it in like 45 years but until then the state of (e.g.) free trade policies with China would be more relevant and interesting to them (and also pretty boring in and of themselves).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AYC posted:

Bring me up to speed: who's expected to win the midterms this year? Is the GOP going to take the Senate and keep the House, or vice versa?

GOP will probably keep the House, Senate is a tossup.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

She has more to gain losing. She can be the victim then, and a rally for the next, more skilled, left wing politician in Texas. I doubt she ever expected to win, the point is to make it look like a race in a deep red state where a democrat was a main player. It's about destroying the image of Texas the eternal Republican vote stronghold.

She's not really putting on a good organizational game either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm imagining liberal talk radio as essentially being The Ed Show and I don't really have much interest.

• Locked thread