Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Finally finished this thread. I could only read a few chapters at a time before my eyes glazed over, and if it weren't for JWKS's efforts, I doubt I would have made it at all.

I remember seeing Miranda Leek's artwork come up a couple years ago in a mock thread or something, and reading about how she was TOTALLY GONNA PUBLISH A BOOK GUYS NO REALLY, and laughing it off as some teenage bullshit. Hell, when I was 13 I wrote a Star Wars fanfiction I was completely convinced I would one day get published, too. (Han Solo was going to get kidnapped, then gain Force powers and escape with the help of his totally not lame Mary Sue kids.) Imagine my surprise when I saw Twisted on Worst Things For Sale. I was surprised she put 7 chapters up as a preview, because I figured it was a normal 20-30 chapters. Still can't believe it was goddamn 66 chapters long :negative:

JWKS, you deserve a medal. Bobbin Threadbare, please continue doing whatever the gently caress it is you're doing. Also, this whole thread was worth it for the Youtube project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This is not me giving up, but it is me buying time after getting somewhat burned out after two weeks of doing this. Only five minutes left of material out of the original thirty, though, so it shouldn't take long once I finally get around to it.

The cracking bones... :gonk:

I love Thunderbark's Hannibal Lecter-esque voice.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
She just completely forgot Thunderbark had a beard for a while, didn't she?

quote:

I'm impressed! In most of her images the only two emotions the rollercoasters convey are "smug" and "homicidal." This one somehow manages to be both!

Iced Cocoa posted:

And here is... oh god... :suicide:

How loving long does she think arms are? Seriously, go ahead and hug yourself right now. Try to move your arm so your hand is almost behind you, far enough away you can comfortably hold a long, sharp object covered with random points because why not.

And why are they suddenly skellingtons?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

hyperhazard posted:

I've been staring at this way too long. I give up. Someone help me figure out what's going on at the bottom of the drawing. Is Thunderbark reading a book, or are those Railrunner's treads? Are those Thunderbark's legs or Railrunner's knuckles? And I don't see a sword at all. :saddowns:

This is like the world's worst hidden pictures puzzle.

I have created this handy guide to lovely art!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Sort of a really flat :negative: .

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
She still thinks horses sit and lay down. How the hell can you live in Bumfuck, Tennessee and not know the difference between a cow and a horse? :psyduck:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm pretty sure Fuckdoll is actually not pregnant, given that for a time about a third of Miranda's gallery was all pregnant roller coasters and it was just Angeltrack. What's happening here is that Miranda has drawn Angeltrack for so long as pregnant that the linea nigra is for her something that everyone has. Somehow she had also figured it's a crack rather than a line, which makes it more disturbing anyway. I guess she saw the line when looking for pregnancy references, but now she has forgotten why she added the line in the first place and Fuckdoll gets the line just out of habit as she has drawn Angeltrack so much more than Fuckdoll.

Except Railrunner has the same dumb frontbutt underneath his bellybutton. I'm on my phone or I'd go back and look for examples.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Iced Cocoa posted:

Also:

This is what people were having difficulties with. Figuring out the genders of roller coasters from images like that.

Love the cars levitating behind Railrunner. This is the best she can do: either the cars lazily float in the middle diistance or they don't exist at all.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Vonder posted:

That gown (seriously, a gown?) makes him look like he has boobs. I was confused about what character it was because the only thing differentiating male from female are boobs and he has them in this gown. Good Christ. At least they have somewhat better facial expressions. Better than the Smugy Smugertons that they usually are, anyway.

That's what 8 thought at first, too, but turns out there's an easy way to tell: Railrunner's rack looks like normally drawn boobs, while Shadowtrack looks like someone glued a couple of volleyballs to her chest! :pseudo:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Part of the problem is she is posting on DeviantArt, the huggiest hugbox of all time, where anyone who tries to give critique is just trolling her because they're jealous of her talent. The other part is that she's not drawing to get better, or to flesh out the world she's writing, she's drawing because these are her perfect little Mary Sues, and the world will accomodate them, not the other way around.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
FA? As in Fur Affinity? I know I really shouldn't be surprised, but :psyduck:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
That could be Railrunner in a dress and fake eyelashes for all we know. Absolutely no differentiation.

Her "explanation" reminds me of a literally autistic friend I had in high school. "Wakko sweating in episode 25 of 'Animaniacs'," she would say, "is ironic because, in my stories, Wakko is a 6 inch tall psychic who speaks in an Irish brogue, and if he actually had to lift something with his hands instead of his mind, he would sweat a lot!" It made perfect sense to her, in her reality. In Miranda Leek's reality, it makes perfect sense that a roller coaster getting an ultrasound means it's pregnant, and it makes perfect sense for that to be the basis for a fantasy world spanning 2 books and 500 pictures.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
You might want to un-thumbnail some of those. Workplaces are notoriously bigoted against rollercoaster boobies.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Iced Cocoa posted:

You know what, have them all. Have all the pictures of Angeltrack.

That is... some dedication. You've really put your sanity on the line to bring this to us. Then again, I'm looking at pregnant rollercoaster pictures on the internet so I can't really talk.

quote:

And then there are pictures that have implied nipples or are just complete bare breasts. They are put in spoiler here while thumbnailed, and I would like to point out that quoting these images will reveal them even for the spoiler, so try not to.

Just so you know, the mods have been cracking down on this recently, at least in GBS and PYF. Might want to just link everything.

Thunderbark comes off as super creepy, constantly coming up behind Angeltrack or standing at her bedside and rubbing her belly. No boundaries at all. Then again, knowing who we're talking about, should I be surprised?

Same with Static. There's at least 2 or 3 pics just of him poking her belly with his tail, and several more of him nuzzling it. It's like everyone is focused more on her belly than her as a person.

This (nws) pic might be the ur-Angeltrack image for me, just for the commentary. Miranda Leek has no idea what the word "irony" means. Even if this is one of her earlier images, it feels more like she's trying to convince the viewer that pregnant Angeltrack is all about irony and totally not a creepy obsession. Then there's the diagram of the parts of Angeltrack's body, labelled "1. Lungs 2. Stomach 3. Heart 4. Breasts", which about says all you need to know about Miranda's view of women. Internalized misogyny is the saddest kind.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

That's a shame. Doing this thread was a lot of fun and I actually am looking forward to doing a Where I Read of the next book in the Twisted series.

Well, this way you have plenty of time to stock up on whiskey and aspirin!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Iced Cocoa posted:

New piece up:

First thing I thought when I saw this/; "Railrunner, about to beat his wife because the Packers lost."

Also, check out that stubble. That is totally a thing it makes sense for roller coasters to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

a travelling HEGEL posted:

That's a detail that some actual thought went into--it would be like the lion-feet on furniture of their world. The first and only bit of real worldbuilding in this setting.

It'd be more like having human feet on the bottom of your chair.

Wouldn't Amusement Park Between have kions anyway, from carousels?

Do things like the pogo rides in parks go to APB when they "die?"

There, I have already put more thought into this than she has.

• Locked thread