Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Why are people so specifically fixated with seeing Kyuranger getting adapted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Once read an interview with Chip Lynn where he was like 'writing for 10 rangers in Dino Charge loving sucked, never again' so that might have something to do with it. Of course he's gone now but some of the writing crew from back then is still around.

That's one of the big reasons why I think it wont happen. Too many people. And given Kyuranger could barely handle juggling those characters as well as the main plot with its own run time, I have greater doubts of Power Rangers being able to do that in its more abbreviated run time.

There's also a bunch of other problems too with the series that would make it terrible to adapt

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My solution to too many rangers too many characters:

You know the two comedy characters you have in each season? And the authority figure? And the mentor?

Give em Morphers. More rangers, same number of characters.

Kyuranger tried that solution and it still ended up having part of the original team shoved into the background and into irrelevancy. Even normal Sentai don't have that many recurring non-villain characters

Edit: Mentor was Xiao Longbao who became purple and the 10th member

Comedy duo was part of the main team. Same with the assistant type character. Those were Gold, Silver and Pink respectively. Then they added a kid character and finally the true "6th"

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 10, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with that one is that Kiramager's designs translated terribly to toy form(well mostly for the main robo but that's the most important thing) and I'm not sure Hasbro can fix that while still remaining accurate to the source material

Overall Zenkaiger is basically their best option at this point

Zenkaiger is definitely the best, but Kiramaiger is something that can be adapted with little problem where they just turn down the sparkles or replace them with lights. I do think the main robot had some design issues, but they're not insurmountable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Kyuranger set up an idea of each monster of the week could
be handled by a different team best suited to the task...and then just didn't bother to actually explore the idea of different teams of rangers having different interpersonal mechanics and the like.

Ugh the Monsters of the Week in Kyuranger were the worst. The first dozen or so eps had a bunch of orinignal monsters as normal, but it didn't take them long to just start doing palette swaps or simple mods to the originals and then call them different. It was an obvious cost saving measure given that they had to allocate a lot more money to Ranger suits than normal, but they hadn't figured out the fix that Kiramaiger started where they just replace the heads with a cheap body suit and maybe issue new props or hands or something as a way to save money on villains and it does a helluva lot more than just changing their colors.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't blame Toei for not inventing 50+ new monsters every year, that poo poo's gotta be exhausting and expensive, especially from a toyetic point of view.

Generally it's more like 20-30 not counting up to a half doezen other monsters as generals/big bads.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

I hope 3D printing makes making toku seats easier and cheaper so we can get more monsters

with the amount of action that some of those suits need, idk if 3d printed stuff is robust enough for most of it. Maybe the props, but those'd still need polishing and machining to clean up the layers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTB1sYJJqNY

Trailer for Chun-Li in Battle for the Grid

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 12, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah but Capitalism is something you can't do anything about so we need something more concrete and human to get mad at

Maybe just don't get mad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Power Rangers is never going to die off. If anything, Disney will buy it back for the catalogue and they'll do their own nostalgia season because even the Mighty Ducks got one and now they're doing like, iCarly (Disney also tried Lizzie McGuire but it fell off because of the pandemic)

iCarly is Nickelodeon/Viacom via Paramount+. Not Disney.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know a lot about Disney Channel after 1994 or so when it stopped being an ad-free premium network, but their cable network people basically have a tradition now of only letting a show reach 2-3 seasons in length before it's taken behind the shed. Phineas and Ferb got a fourth season because fan demand was so strong, but long running kids shows are not much of a thing there anymore.

If you ask me to play "where does Power Rangers and it's huge episode archive land next" I would hesitantly place my bet on Peacock. Hasbro already has their Transformers animated stuff on Netflix and I assume wants two streaming services to play off each other, but Universal also has the Transformers movie license and giving the Comcast/NBC/Universal hydra the PR license might actually be useful for the film franchise they want so bad.

Universal having the film rights might be something out of Hasbro's control and it wouldn't matter too much if the PR series was on one service while the movies were on another (assuming they were targeting different demographics and they didn't have to worry about cross promotion). I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "play off of each other" though and how that would financially benefit Hasbro given that it'd seem like the opposite since it would more likely mean eyes on one or the other property rather than having both available unless you're implying some hedged bet scenario.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sentai outfits as armor isn't a bad idea per se, but it needs to be designed from the ground up with them being armor in mind as Kamen Rider does. Sentai suits are generally designed with very large fields with some design or patterning so there's few, if any, natural breaks in design to make a workable armor design to build off of.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I swear I've seen this before and it's just a reupload

Edit: Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxbl9M13uw from 5 years ago on a previous Power Rangers official account

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 25, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

Can I just say I'm loving Slyther? He's just having so much fun, and I love the personality combination of "Stage magician" and "TV/Film Director".

He was the best of the generals in Ryusoulger too. That version leaned a lot more on stage magician, but still worked out really well and had the best relationship with the loveable fungoid.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Time Force through Ninja Storm all hewed fairly closely to their original counterparts to some degree with Wild Force being the most direct between the three. Time Force added Rasnik and gave him a character other than mob boss while Ninja Storm changed up the villain organization and the Sixth (the hamster sensei is from the Sentai). Wild Force otoh, is pretty much a straight adaptation if not the most direct ones

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Henshin does the Color as role thing too fwiw, but those are easy enough to shift around and have Silver have all of the Leader moves and Pink be the brainy one. Henshin is definitely more agnostic since it's also trying to incorporate Sentai instead of just MMPR. It's rather unfortunate for the PR RPG to be like that, but 5e are about the only lemons they had to that's the kind of lemonade they made.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

They're... uh... re-skinned Monks.

:yikes:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What would make Kiramaiger hard to adapt? Too much crystals which might seem too girly for the boys demographic?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah right. I forget, does Netflix have a specific cap on how many episodes a single season can be or is that up to the people working on said show?

There's not a cap. And I believe it's something that's negotiated in the contract or determined by production to manage workflow and such.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

I do hope that even if the amount of episodes stays roughly the same they drop them all within the same year/stretch of time so we can get back to 1 season a year like the good old days.

I don't think we'll see that pace again if only because there's going to be seasons like ToQger, LuPat, and now DonBrothers that wouldn't work for some reason or another and are best skipped

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The whole Momotaro theming in the red would be a nightmare to adapt and market

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They'll definitely do Kiramager and it's not hard for them to do Zenkaiger since the numbers aren't that obtrusive compared to Momotaro's peach

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

True, heck considering most of them are robots it could probably be written off as being like model numbers or something

Model numbers or Sports player numbers which also coincidentally fits with the sports themes of the mecha combination sequences.

serefin99 posted:

I haven't seen anything of Kiramager, what do their zords do that would make it hard to toyify them?

I'm not 100% sure myself. If it's about them being separate characters, that's not that hard to utilize or write around. If it's the gem theme, I'd think that'd be a little trickier. I know my major gripe with the mecha is that its initial toy design makes it really easy to knock off the car on its shoulder just by moving the arm up too high.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 10, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

Cosmic Fury is a lame name

Only because I'm tired of x Force and x Fury

e: obviously this is not that, but given the track record of Bad Sentai:Good PR
I'd really love to see what a PR adaptation of LuPat looks like

I'm extremely sick of Fury too.

Squadron
Command
Team

Or even do something like Lost Galaxy where the name is about the story/setting versus the team

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm honestly assuming they'll just do a full on color shuffle with everyone and then fill in the others with robo Rangers or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Kinda disappointing for me at least. I'll admit, I haven't actually watched Kyuranger, but just looking the suits up and they seem rad as gently caress.

Kyuranger was somewhat of a mess because it basically tried to juggle 12 rangers at once. The concept for having distinct silhouettes for the different members was good, but in practice, it's pointless without giving these characters unique silhouettes the attention they deserve.

The mecha fights weren't exactly exciting either to my recollection either and overall the series is pretty middling.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"Black don't crack"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

remember when the power rangers used to have personal vehicles like the shark cycles and the little cars from turbo

those were rad

Sadly those were phased out in Japan due to laws about customized motorcycles. It's why Kamen Rider of all series barely uses his own motorcycles

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Was it because of those Japanese motorcycle gangs?

More or less.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The Ninja Storm main Megazord is a good one even if it does do one of those things I tend to not like in Megazord designs(or at least for the main one, it's more forgivable if it's one of the secondary ones that many seasons have) where one Zord forms the majority of the Megazord, which always makes me think in the back of my head why bother having it be made of multiple components if one component forms 90% of it

Over the years I tend to find the best configurations for how the main Megazord should be laid out to either be "1 Zord for the legs, 1 for each arm, and the remaining 2 form the head and torso in some manner" or "1 Zord for each limb, and the remaining 1 forms the entirety of the head and body", the latter is surprisingly uncommon even though it arguably is the configuration that offers the most potential for toyetic expandability

Sentai has been scaling back from the toyetic expandability designs as of late. The pile of mecha has likely turned out to be not profitable enough to keep pushing alongside the main mecha and other stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

They either look like poo poo, are built like rear end, or the component add-on zords are laughably terrible so you're not in a rush to complete a set.

"Oh yeah I've got the 5 core Zords! And, uh, some Zebra that turns into shinguards? A Lion that is shoes, for some reason? A hammerhead shark... hat? Giraffe... finger-armor? Squid and Octopus arm tentacle thingies. What the poo poo"

Vs.

HOLY loving gently caress I CAN TAKE THE DRAGONZORD AND MIX IT WITH 3 OTHER ZORDS AND MAKE THE MEGADRAGONZORRRRRDDDDDDD HOLLLLLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIT

Do keep in mind that this is in the context of it being in a continuously slow decline in terms of merch sales while Kamen Rider is continuing to climb and as such has piles of power ups and upgrades to boost sales.

Collect-a-thons in Sentai are mostly gone while they are in full force in KR

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The CW-verse is Tokusatsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Covok posted:

Oh, there are other games to play, like I mentioned Henshin. And there are others, but it stinks the official stuff is tied to Essence20. Like, it's not unplayable, but you know there are better games so you can't justify it.

Like, these are fun additions but its tied to a weak system:

There should be a way to hack LANCER to become a Sentai game