Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I would honestly say they look like characters in a sentai parody rather than one of the main series. Maybe that's what they'll go for, I dunno.

Also, just finished watching Megaforce and um... This is probably me overthinking things, but am I the only one who finds the way the series has approached alien life to be... vaguely racist? Its the way they always use it in general terms, especially compared to the way everyone goes scathing on about humans, again in that general term sorta way. The enemies of the last episode are called the 'alien armada' even by the guy who is partly in charge of that armada, and hell earlier in the series I swear one bad guy went 'what do any aliens want of other species?' with the clear implication of taking them over. It just feels... weird, considering Power Rangers has been better about this in the past. Zordon and Alpha were both aliens (wizard and robot respectively), the Rangers had various alien allies from across the universe, Rangers themselves or otherwise (and I'm counting KO-35 here, even with how they handwaved it as 'Earth isn't the only place with humans'), and hell, the whole 'anything not human must be eeeevil' argument got torn apart back in In Space and at the start of Wild Force.

So yeah, might be overthinking this, but maybe its also a consequence of trying to keep things simple for younger kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I will say when I watched the new episode, I actually kinda liked the first five minutes? It seemed like an attempt to actually show effects of this supposed invasion, with (what should have been) familiar locations in ruins and the rangers having to ambush enemies rather than fight in the open. Hell, they're so paranoid they almost try to fight Troy because they think he's an enemy before he reveals himself.

Otherwise though, I honestly wish they'd slotted in a whole extra episode's worth - or at least half!- of narrative from the point Gosei said the line 'the Earth has never seen an invasion of this scale before' (baloney, but whatever). At least have a little more suspense before you toss out the old toys for the new ones - show why the Megaforce powers alone aren't gonna be enough. Examine whats happened to the Rangers' social lives (if we had ever established those beyond Noah and the teacher) in the wake of, oh, the entire planet under attack. Both the first and last episodes of In Space got this relatively well, with the first episode dedicated mostly to the Turbo Rangers wandering around aimlessly in space because whilst they had heart, without their powers they had nothing resembling the means to do any good - but even in the cliffhanger they show the determination that comes with the suits. Countdown to Destruction saw the Megawinger destroyed, the Astro megaship prove overwhelmed, and the rangers tried fighting head on only to be beaten by sheer numbers - and are forced to mull over just what the heck they do, huddled around a fire in the middle of scrap, as civilians who have likely lost their homes wonder how exactly they're meant to go on as well.

Would it have been so hard for Gosei to just tell the rangers to wait a bit as he tries to jury rig something to try and turn the odds in their favour? I can buy concentrating the powers of nearly two dozen ranger teams into one set as needing a little effort.

For what its worth, the episode overall wasn't too bad, just very clearly rushed. My favourite part of the series was and continues to be Jake, both for the crack he gets in about how blatantly he's been ripped off, but also how they actually gave a slight handwave to him being more Doc-ish fighting style wise. He is having so much fun with the new ranger powers - you can hear it in his voice.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...I'll remain cautiously optimistic on this one.

I mean, dumb as the 'new powers!' scene was, I actually found the second episode to be okay, and kinda what I wish we'd had as a default thus far - original footage, character scenes, so forth.

And whilst this scene pretty unashamedly taken from the sentai, there's some differences in the wording that makes me... curious. Whilst they probably could've used an episode or two more to better establish it, Noah's been shown previously to have concerns over whether or not he can keep up in the team. So this is... technically in character for him, if with a bit of a leap. It may be less 'I'm doing training with two swords because I'm a master swordsman dammit', more 'I'm going to try something so I'm not dragging the team down'.

Still need to see how the episode plays it of course. If it plays the rest of it scene for scene, then uh... yeah.

EDIT: So... yeah. The episode takes a bunch of the imagery in certain scenes from Gokaiger, but the character stuff is... a bit different, at least contextually. Its more not wishing to be a burden than swordsman instincts, and the episode establishes the sort of behaviour for Noah early in.

Like, not a great episode, but it seems Super Megaforce at least has an understanding of actually making the characters, well, characters. And I suppose the insecurities stuff being at least passable makes sense when you consider that the writer for the episode was Jason Smith, and this is kinda what his entire character in Jungle Fury was about.

Mind you, limited by the sentai footage as they are, its kinda hilarious they're already skipping straight to Super Megaforce mode in some transformation scenes.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 2, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but being the best part of the Gokaiger ep, I have to ask. Did they/how did they do the five-team five-sword slash? Did they mention team names or was it just a final strike?

I loved it in Gokaiger because there were like five "something-ranger" teams in a row then out of nowhere it ends with GIIIIINGAMAN. So great.

The answer is yes they do. The name of the attack is generic as hell, but they still do team names... and Noah yells them because they don't do the whole announcer voice for the transformations.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...Good luck with that Saban.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

jivjov posted:

While I don't immediately dismiss the "Super Megaforce/Legacy Powers are an upgrade to the Megaforce powers" concept...it's pretty loving hilarious just how horribly managed this is. I'm starting to really get the impression that the production staff doesn't care one bit about making a proper narrative story, they're just making a toy commercial with some talky bits. I know that first and foremost Power Rangers exists to sell toys, but they could at least TRY to make it a decent kid's action show while they're at it.

If you have Netflix, I would recommend catching up, because man, even in its down moments in the Disney era, you could still see the writers trying to put something together, and heck, whilst Disney's tenure is infamous, it does also manage some of the strongest seasons - like Dino Thunder and RPM.

Saban 2.0 meanwhile, in part due to the arrangements with Nickelodeon, and in part I imagine due to being out of the saddle so drat long, has tended to rush through things, or otherwise smack them together without proper development, hoping to ride the nostalgia train through till an episode is done so that viewers won't really notice or care too much (not helped admittedly that whilst Samurai revisiting stuff was just Saban posturing, the seasons since have somewhat been too easy to go back to older days on).

Samurai/Super Samurai is a victim of having the Shinkenger script put through google translate in order for Saban to have something put together when they got their hands back on the franchise, albeit weakened then through attempts to soften or adapt things for the western audience - such as making sure Jayden was far less confrontational than his sentai counterpart, when that was pretty much the basis for a lot of the character's growth, and was subsequently improperly substituted by other aspects. Bulk and Spike were evidently an afterthought in order to appeal to older fans' nostalgia, and whilst the scenes they eventually did get with the rangers were actually kind good, much of the time they just did stuff unconnected to the story for ~lulz~, assuming they even appeared at all.

Megaforce then is the other extreme of the spectrum - technically an original story and plot put together, but its so hastily constructed that vital information (Gosei is the pupil of Zordon! ...Where's he been? Do these five even know who Zordon IS?) is glossed over, and scenes that should establish character traits or just their lives outside of fighting monsters each week, are cut short in order to make way for the extremely rushed plot. The opening episodes were actually somewhat good in that they established stuff - the school, basic character traits, the juice bar, teleporters, visions of the legendary war - but it proceeded to fail repeatedly on delivering anything from them. Instead, new powers, villains, allies, are introduced almost every other episode, if not faster, and often with little flare beyond Gosei briefly quipping about it like it was totally all part of the plan. There's no meat on the shiny, technicolour bones.

Super Megaforce meanwhile, even whilst a few episodes in, feels like what Megaforce the original should have been, at least in pacing and setup (thus far, it could go waaaaay off the rails soon for all we know). It actually uses the school and juice bar as places for the characters to interact, ways to develop them without immediately tying into how they'll fight the next bad guy. In these few epss I've managed to actually gleam some more minor traits out of the teacher beyond his obsession with the supernatural, like he's secretly a bit of gamer, can be forgetful of his students' names when they aren't Noah. Ernie takes pride in his frozen yogurt and is keen on stirring up business again, even if it means using Emma as a bit of G-rated eye candy to help promote his business. Maybe these were in Megaforce and I somehow missed them, but if so, they certainly didn't leave an impression. The original footage fights are actually pretty well done, and whilst I cannot rationalise for the life of me, that scene where they use the morph to phase through the enemies totally unharmed was kind cool.

Hopefully they'll just start remembering to actually start explaining why they're getting certain powers as the themes of the week from here on out. I get, sentai footage and all, but they rearranged the attack on the armada to be in the second episode, pretty sure they could have put the SPD and Mystic Force upgrades back just liiiittle bit to try and find some relevancy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

Yeah. I'm the "mastermind" behind this and I totally agree that YouTube would be better and I need a proper website and so much more. Frankly I'm killing myself over the update schedule and I only have Windows Movie Maker, which is a lame excuse for not trying. But this really isn't the place to discuss this, I just hope you guys give the show a chance and give us some feedback.

But hey! Can I great a group opinion on Jungle Fury? I put it pretty high on my list of favorite seasons. Villains get a lot of story and development, rangers are pretty alright people, RJ is cool as hell, nice monster designs, and a big emphasis on real martial arts. Overall, probably my third favorite season.

I've seen it considered pretty low, but personally its one of my faves. It just felt... fun. Sure, some hiccups here or there, but honestly the show at least tries on so drat much, and gets more hits than misses. I mean, hell, they had a theme song that actually could and WAS used to go along with the fights, for the general turnaround and not just finishers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

And maybe I'm being impatient. I know Brajira was resurrected in 199 Heroes so maybe they're going to fit that in somehow as Vrak returning? And they're obviously reminding us that Troy is still searching for Robo Knight so I assume that's going to be resolved at some point too. Hopefully not by Gosei turning him into a key.

Nothing wrong with being impatient when the series spent most of a year hyping up something they're only getting around to this year.

Also the key would be totally rear end in a top hat-ish of Gosei. At least in Gokaiger it was an unintended consequence of the whole 'lets use all our powers to save the Earth' thing. If they did it with Super Megaforce, then all the dude's done is waste Troy's time and pointlessly make him worry for an ally.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

I never finished Megaforce. Did they skip the Brajira episodes?

Pretty much. The final fight with Vrak is purely against his cyborg/machine form, after which the armada arrives and starts blowing stuff up, whilst Vrak finds out that maybe changing forms isn't so good an idea if your own allies don't even recognise you.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

mateo360 posted:

I thought his rant was about the logistics of how a "high school" student is able to afford and maintain an active hobby like participating in motocross that is very expensive. though I suppose having a job at a place that supports that kind of hobby helps.

There's also another factor to consider that really isn't always the most addressed thing when it comes to power rangers:

Family finances.

He briefly alludes to it with 'how rich do these kids have to be' and whatnot, but the answer honestly is, after the initial costs are covered (say, the bike as an extra big present for a birthday), it wouldn't be that hard for a decently well off family to fund that sort of thing for their son, especially if he's earning some money anyway, minimum wage or not.

Honestly, the bigger question is on Hunter and Blake's livelihoods in general. Forgot motocross, where and how the heck did they live after Lothor kicked them out?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Zedd posted:

There is probably a bit of truth to it regardless, I think the main reason is still that those retrospectives take a lot more time for what he makes off it compared to his regular shows.

In addition to the fact that whilst probably the single most demanded of his side projects, it probably doesn't make him proportionally too much more money than his regular videos do. So he doesn't have much active incentive aside of his own love of the franchise, his promise to get it done, and the hundreds of fans who keep nagging him about it (which as he's stated, can also just make him loathe doing the project further).

But yes, the armada has simply been referred to as 'the armada' or 'the alien armada', because its not as if aliens have helped the rangers before or they outright stated a couple of episodes back that there were powers 'never before seen on this planet'.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I think what tends to be the issue with the openings is that, since mystic force at least, its often the lyrics that have sucked, as opposed to the music itself. Like, the instrumentals aren't actually that bad, they actually have a rhythm and a feel for their series, though admittedly Operation Overdrive's does sort of... drop, in the middle. Honestly, the worst Disney theme as its own music is probably RPM's, but otherwise, most of the tone which I say throws people off is the lyrics themselves. And this extends into the Saban 2.0 era, since Go Go Power Rangers on its own ain't so bad, but there's something about the way its sung that just doesn't feel as satisfying.

Also, clip from the new episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh5d5wSmsw

I like the rangers actually addressing the whole deal of how they can't just purely play defense, and also getting psyched about using the skyship, but how the heck did Saban goof up on the Animarium's name? Did they think it was a plural or something?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did Time Force do the gigantic plot twist from Timeranger where the original Timeranger leader in the future was the original TimeFire and also a goddamn supervillain who set the entire series in motion?

No, but they gave the villain a legit point. Basically, Ransik is pissed with how, in the future, people have kinda become racists with regards to mutants, as genetic deviants, even though in many cases its just a pure accident they end up born that way. They get profiled as monsters and criminals, and whilst yes many in the series are clearly shown that way, that's probably a personal choice with each of them, rather than something inherent.

What the show ultimately concludes though is that Ransik unfortunately met a hateful minority, and then through his own actions effectively perpetuated the stigma and hatred against his kind. It takes almost killing his own daughter for him to realise he's got some perspective issues.

Also new clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnmssfx4aZ0

As gets pointed out in the comments, they somehow bungled a basic falling clip.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...This episode was really hampered by the fact they decided not to/failed to bring back Rick Medina again. I mean, even more than the other episodes dropping their encounters with past rangers, because unlike those where the powers are just spontaneous, the Red Lion was and still is effectively its own character, and Cole's bond with it was a recurring part of wild Force. Having it just... appear, watch from afar, and then decide 'welp these guys are worthy' feels... I dunno weak, probably not helped by the decision to use the wild force suits earlier in the episode. Not to mention the separation of the cast pretty pointlessly when of course, in the Gokaiger version, the other two were having to consider the fact that they're relatively decent people living among... well, pirates, along with interacting with the old GaoRed.

Otherwise the episode's a serviceable adaptation, the first five or so minutes is probably my favourite part. The rangers want to be proactive, they use the ship, they also get some helmetless scenes, Noah's weary correction on how far they were from circling the Earth again.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Weren't the Time Force morphers DNA-locked, which is why they had to get Red's ancestor exact genetic predecessor to use the thing, because nobody else possibly could have? If the team stuck in 2000 could figure that out right away, how was that dipshit not thinking straight setting up his own great36grandfather to die?

Yeeeeaaahhhh, its kinda crazy. The best handwave you can maybe wring out of it was that Alex was betting his luck on ~timeline shifts~ to cheat himself out of that one, since he was actually dead before history started getting mucked about with, despite it theoretically having minimal impact on the events that killed him.

But, as the series has shown, Power Rangers and time travel is weird.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The same could be said for sentai though,I think

This is true. After all, the cops of the future seem to believe that dinosaur robots = FANTASTIC for time travel.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Well, bit later than usual, but watching the episode myself now...

I'm actually surprised how much mileage they're getting out of Noah's PowerPad (yes I'm calling it that now, shut up), rather than keeping the whole 'well these guys need to learn their history in order to be worth successors' angle that Gokaiger had, these guys (or Noah anyway) knows what they're dealing with and using. I can kindly ignore the offhand remarks that mess with continuity if they still largely emphasize the shared universe through this thing.

Jayden's appearance was okay, I mean, the scene in itself I thought was pretty well done, but its our first ranger reappearance and it wasn't exactly a deep or meaningful experience for anyone involved. I mean, in Gokaiger, their first cameo appearance involved teaching the crew what the heck the point of the show was, whereas Jayden pops in, is all sorts of mysterious and/or creepy, and then just disappears again. Similar kinda deal with the MMPR suits really. I mean, I've seen some express the view that not having them prove instantaneously awesome just because they're the original suits was actually better, but at the same time, that didn't mean their first appearance had to be them getting absolutely trounced by a bad guy in order to show how tough they are. And its not even like they didn't have at least some of the budget for new fight footage, because there's quite a bit across this episode, and not just with the Megaforce suits either - but the Super Megaforce ones as well. Hopefully they'll remember to give the MMPR suits something before the show is over, unlike what happened in Gokaiger.

Also... Vekar is kinda starting to grow on me as a villain. Not that he actually impresses me or anything (which would be somewhat against the point), but he's got this dosage of snark that I've either failed to see or missed from other villains thus far. Him taking the piss out of the roll call was nice.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Sockser posted:

Holy poo poo Dino Thunder Red v Titanium Ranger, Red is losing by three votes. That's a tight one.

Its shifted back the other way as of my last vote, so yeah, roughly even love from the fans.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Well, the answer is quite simple, and can be answered very easily--LOOK, SOMETHING SHINY!

I see you've become Gosei's pupil in avoiding plot points that are really kinda important.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Clip from the new episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdvEEci35FA

Gotta give Troy some credit, he's the one who actually stopped to think it seems.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

I haven't watched Jungle Fury, but all the love for Jason Smith makes me interested to go back and do it.

Jungle Fury is far from being the best season, but it does so much and seems so earnest I find an odd charm in it. It still has some issues in how it resembles the sentai at times, like many of the Disney seasons, but it nevertheless tries its own twists and ideas on them. At the very least, original hideout, original mentor figure, original morphers, and a surprising amount of original footage, though its partly necessitated by how the villains have regularly used human forms. And I like the theme song getting used for fights, it gives an odd air of triumph, even if its less outright rock when compared to say, Go Go Power Rangers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

This episode... got a bit silly at points, even by Power Rangers standards, mainly with the whole 'we let go of our weapons!' thing. Its not like these are the galaxy sabers, where they're ancient macguffins that hold spiritual meaning, or even the crystal sabers where like, they're essential to summoning the zords. These are just... weapons. Yeah, its bad the team had them so easily taken, but its not a disaster either.

Mind you, beyond that, the episode is definitely up there, for what we've had the last few years. Jake and Emma get a lot of interaction for the episode, and the build up and focus on Casey is enjoyable, especially when compared to Jayden's creeper cameo. Its kinda funny because they effectively reversed the order of the sentai episodes to make this happen, but it... sorta works. Heck they even reference the Megaforce zords in terms of the rangers' spirits, a nice small touch that retroactively gives the things a bit more meaning.

And again the whole ranger database thing really proves to be one of the better ideas narratively speaking. It gives an easy excuse for when they do/don't recognise a previous ranger - it depends on whether or not they saw the relevant info, and the episode can easily rectify it halfway through. Having it intercut with the training montage really worked, because it got to tell and show in a single scene. Plus, its a good reminder of how far Casey came in his character development - where he was once the nervous, uncertain rookie, he's now a master teaching the next generation.

Though that ending is now gonna be the source of so much wild guessing, I imagine.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Is it Saban's or Nickelodeon's fault that Megaforce is the mess that is?

Yeah, definitely mixed responsibility there. Nick's season rules meant that last time around Saban had a major delay in the production and release of the series, widening the Sentai/Power Rangers gap even farther than it had already grown. Added to which, Gokaiger is such a blatant anniversary series in its material that it'd be extremely odd to adapt without some kind of similar celebration going for Power Rangers, so Saban rushed to tie it in, even though they were already adapting Goseiger.

Naturally, the result hasn't been quite what one could hope for.

Probably the biggest problem with Megaforce is that, with the expectation of Super Megaforce to come after, and the desire to try and promise people SOME notion that this would indeed be the big anniversary season and not just another one in Power Rangers' long history, Saban effectively turned the first half into extended filler, with a few occasional standout moments. Even worse is that its generic filler, like Saban took a base template for what a Power Rangers series should be, but forgot to add any tweaks to give it a particular flavour or meaning. Taking away the Super Megaforce half of things, what is the point of Megaforce? What is the theme? Was there even a motif to the powers at all beyond generic animals mystic or otherwise? Any kind of origin to where the abilities came from? Gosei never directly mentions that he created them, if I recall correctly, and he pulls them so fast out of his rear end I wouldn't be surprised if he's just looting one of Zordon's emergency vaults.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

Something like this will just never work well in a modern show because sentai deals out a new toy every five or six episodes. Power ups are just meaningless and ugly these days and would be even if they were still turning 52 episodes into 35 episodes, as opposed to 26.

Not even just on the new ones ever other episode, I mean in general with the Megaforce powers. They just... exist, even by power rangers standards, and it regularly bugs me.

EDIT: Hell, Super Megaforce has already given more meaning to them retroactively than I think there ever was originally, by implying it might have something to do with each Rangers' spirit animals and whatnot.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Pyroi posted:

The Armada works very quickly.

Well... technically, there were several hours/maybe a day or two offscreen where the Armada basically had a free chance to blow s*** up.

That said, I'm a little uncertain with the notion that Argus would be a brainwashed Robo Knight. I realise its partly due to stock footage limitations, but Argus has yet to have any particular interactions with Troy who, well, kinda has the whole 'find Robo Knight' thing as his story arc right now. It would seem strange to not have at least some setup for that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

The Phantom Ranger story arc basically presses my angry about continuity and dropped plotlines button, and the suit's probably way past disintegrated, but in my feverish dreams him and Orion are connected, like older brother or dad or something.

I'm still curious as to how Orion himself will be done since, well, they're basically giving him the exact opposite origin to his sentai counterpart. My bet is on an alien prince or something, if unfortunately with all the opportunities missed to reference the existing worlds in power rangers where humans/humanoids exist.

I mean, imagine if he was one of the Terra Venture colonists returned to Earth and is secretly connected to the lights of orion :tinfoil:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

One of my main scruples with Megaforce is that instead of using the vast mythology of Edenoi, terra Venture, Ko-35, etc, they've mostly been Earth centric to save on budget, I assume

I almost want Saban to tank in ratings so we get a third hail mary balls out season that redeems them.

That and stock footage issues. Its been a while, so I might be wrong, but I think Gokaiger was one of the 'drat near every fight in tokyo' series.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

The NZ crew has done a pretty good job of matching locations.

I meant more for the mecha fights, sorry. Its basically been a historical issue that sometimes the creators have wanted to use nature fights as either alien worlds or other time periods, only to be screwed over because Tokyo.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

Gosei only sucks because he's a pale imitation of Zordon anyway. If he was more distinct, things would be better.

...Actually yes, this is a point, even moreso because Saban ended up highlighting the comparison with the whole 'pupil of Zordon' thing. Even discounting all the continuity question his mere existence raises, we ultimately see nothing about the big easter island head as a character beyond that, or even much in relation to it. Admittedly, Zordon himself didn't actually get too built up until after the movie, where the idea of Zordon being this legendary champion of good known across the cosmos stuck even to regular continuity, rather than being a particular wizard who stuck it to Rita. But, unless I'm misremembering, Gosei seems to get even less than that, even into Super Megaforce which has thus far actually worked to characterise the cast.

Once the earlier phases of experimentation were worked out of Power Rangers' system, Zordon very much took on a mentor role towards the team, and an adviser for when things weren't working out. One of the Rangers acting weird? Ask Zordon, he might know whats up. Monster was too powerful? Consult Zordon, he'll either have a speech to cheer the gang up, or might look into ideas on how to turn the tide. Rita/Zedd/Whoever doing something but its hard to tell what? Check with Zordon, he's got that viewing globe, and he knows the bad guys' MO. The rangers relied on him for guidance, a fact that would be commented on and even turn into character development in early Turbo - when Tommy struggles with getting advice from Dimitria, because he's so used to being to do that with Zordon, rather than having to solve situations as much on his own.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWvKkl-Depc

Marketing teaser. Skip towards 2:25 for original legendary war footage. It... sadly looks like a bunch of them are there purely for the battle.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

jivjov posted:

Just gonna leave this here...the best crossover.

...giant enigmatic heads that know the secrets of the universe...

Wonder if Eltar translates into Boe.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Tae posted:

Why in the world do the Saban suits suck? And I'm not just talking about the one in that trailer, I mean whenever they do Original Footage. It's bad that I can instantly tell when they're using their versions of Gokaiger because their suits are always so not-shiny.

Just found this on the matter:

http://henshingrid.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/power-rangers-suits-vs-super-sentai.html

Its apparently due to different expectations and standards with regards to stunt people, and that, at least days, there's no longer an overlap between productions.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Well, they're skipping a week to presumably avoid too much conflict with the NCAA stuff (which likely affected Spirit of the Tiger's viewership), but even then, there's no way the episode is only gonna be coming in October without there being some further delays.

Which honestly, sucks, since one would have hoped that cramming two separate sentai series together would shorten the gap between Power Rangers and sentai. We'll be more than halfway into ToQger by that point, and unless the deal with Nick changes, I can't imagine Saban will suddenly prove quick with the production of Dino Charge.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I imagine some of those might change when the show actually enters production, given that every series has initial 'what could we do with an unlimited budget' phase of character and setting design, only to toned back or altered as things actually get going.

That said, as efforts to localise go, some of these ideas I actually like, and kinda hope they'll expand on. As a Brit and history student, the knight thing will probably be the thing that stupidly stands out, but I'll find some ironic humour and silly enjoyment in, kinda like with Time Force Red's battlizer.

Also, new vids - one of Cameron Jebo in an interview for Den of Geek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyLRF_2hoc

And of the Silver Ranger's first appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L-m_uHHr6o

Unless I'm mistaken, looks like they actually bothered with a bunch of original footage for his first fight, so unless they do the silly thing and have him reveal who he is a moment later, could be an interesting difference from the source material by having an actual (in universe) mystery for a while.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

toomanyninjas posted:

I will be thoroughly disappointed if "Go Go, Dinocharge!" replaces the perfectly acceptable-for-American-audiences "Brave In"

It's not loving Inspector Gadget.

...I'm imagining that theme with the words 'Power Rangers' replacing Inspector Gadget. Thanks for that.

Honestly though, on its own, Dino Charge works as a morphing call. They're freaking batteries, so you just put them in to charge the gun and oh god that's where the title comes from. Well, that and the image of stampeding ancient beasts, but yeah.

Though I suppose it would sound redundant to yell out 'Dino Charge!' for the morph, to then announce that they're Power Rangers Dino Charge. Would make it sound like they have to morph twice.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, watching Silver Lining Part 1.

The opening scenes for the episode are actually pretty good. The crash, Mr Burley's remark on how amazing actually being able to drive safely is, the twists on what you'd think would be a rush into fight scenes, and the brief bit at the juice bar allows for more character interaction, even if cut short by another call from Gosei.

Also I can't remember, but is this the first time they've used the Gokaiger roll call footage?

Either way, also surprised that they did a completely original fight scene for legendary powers with the Lost Galaxy stuff. At first I thought it was just gonna be simply to show off how tough the monster was, given he looked to be owning them within seconds of morphing, but then the fight actually got under way and Jake had his moment and yeeeees.

Silver's apparent backstory and characterisation, especially given Jebo's 'darker side' comment, should actually be interesting to watch in action, given how far removed it is from Gai's. If anything, he's kinda gotten a variant of Commander Cruger's backstory, though with less restraint and an almost psychotic glee at the prospect of his vengeance. Which, if that's their way of explaining away Gai's happy go lucky fighting style, that is surprisingly dark ._.

Really, the main place I can fault this episode is its reuse of stock footage of the rangers standing still, even when they're in more blatantly different locations than usual. But that's also pretty nitpicky. It might be a while until we get another chance at actually seeing old rangers turn up, but you know what? If this is what we're getting, I really don't mind.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

I got dizzy from all the location jumps. In one scene they went from the sentai stadium to the new zealand version to the sentai plaza to the new zealand version. Didn't even notice they reused the dragon dagger footage instead of the lost galaxy sword.

I still think the funniest is where they're fighting outside the sentai stadium, and then they cut to the stock footage of Orion watching them at the New Zealand plaza (or wherever they did the Lost Galaxy footage). The background is just so obviously different.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I guess I'll just always find it weird that Mr. Burley is always trying to find evidence of UFOs and whatnot in a world where Rita Repulsa was frequently shown on TV and all of Angel Grove claimed to be the Power Rangers to Astronema.

He's dropped that for now, I think. But yeah, one of the things Megaforce has had in general is an uncertainty whether or not the rest of Power Rangers was actually meant to have happened, despite its obvious presence of the keys. An now Super Megaforce is ignoring the fact Megaforce ignored stuff (mostly, Gosei is still a load of hot air).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

New clip from the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMr7loBKcg

Basically, Orion's an Andresian (Andrasion? Andreision? We'll see what the spelling), and yep, his planet was destroyed. He and Tensou can speak the same language (though Tensou mght just have that on memory) whilst Gosei is evidently familiar with the concept of the Silver Ranger in this form, but from the sounds of it not with Orion himself. But rather, there had been a Silver Ranger before Orion (or the key was just laying around), and the key was lost when the planet was leveled.

That said, this might raise even more questions on where the keys come from. Because if Gosei had one shipped off into freaking space whilst even Megaforce was going on, the Rangers were left in the dark yet again by their so called mentor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

So basically, Orion's not Zhane 2.0, but Dex 2.0?

Hey, he at least has marginally better acting.

Like I said, he's got some of Cruger going for him. Though I somewhat suspect Orion won't have a wife to suddenly bring back for the finale.