Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ATT has come a long way. I had an original iPad with the unlimited data plan. Moving from that to an iPad 3 and then an Air was pretty crappy over the years. Just got a new iPad Pro and migrating the OG Unlimited Plan was pretty easy, and built into the interface. No fuckery changing data on an obscure ATT website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hey helpful ATT peeps:

Some time ago, there were people who could look at your bill and give some advice. I am on the original OG iPad unlimited plan, and separately have a family 700 plan with two iPhones with unlimited data, and a home phone (POTS, yes really). The two cell phones and landline run around $280/mo. I pay that much because I care to have unlimited data.

Is it true that I can get the new top tier unlimited plan without actually getting U Verse or Direct TV and still save money?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

After 2 1/2 hours on the phone and two trips to my closest AT&T retail store, and I think things are mostly sorted. Indeed the new Unlimited plans are capped per device not for the whole plan, so it's 22Gb soft cap for each, which is enough.

The iPad they couldn't do over the phone, since it was a separate plan and they could not combine them. Had to do it in store and they put in a SIM (weird because the iPad can now see the Apple SIM and the ATT physical SIM card both). The old iPad p,an still isn't really cancelled, so I need to see how that goes.

And of course the billing people couldn't help since my wireless and wired lines are on combined billing, and nobody know how to even reach that group any more. Good times.

If it's right though it's $50/month in savings. And calls to relatives in Canada will be included.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

So I am confused. I can't tell, but by the way you described it, it sounds like the rep did some false churn to get that sweet commission payout.

Did you already have an AT&T data plan on the ipad before switching it to the group plan? Or was it just Apple SIM provided service?

I had the OG unlimited data plan from the first iPad, and had kept rolling it forward. It was a stand-alone plan and was active on the internal sim.
They claimed they couldn’t turn off that plan on the internal sim and add it to my group plan. Did I get fleeced somehow and not realize it?

It somehow made sense that they could not turn off that internal one since it was active and on a separate account but was pretty easy to just pop in a new sim and add it to my group.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hey ATT peeps:

Is there really a ‘back office’ or have I just been getting the runaround?
Basically I have what much be an ancient plan on an even older billing system because I have a actual POTS line at home, and have combined billing with that and my mobile service.

On my bills, right at the top, it says I am getting a $10 discount each month for combining my bills. Only when I made the change to my mobile plans a few months ago, the discount seemed to disappear. Then when I went looking back through other stuff, it turns out I had been getting bills that stated at the top that I was getting that $10 discount, but on the bill I was getting a credit of $3 or $4.

After no joke talking to 20 different ATT people over the course of about 8 total hours, I now have a ‘Case’ but they can’t give me a case number and it’s with the ‘back office’ who I cannot contact directly.

Is this possibly real or should I just register a complaint with the FCC for their billing shenanigans?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t know much, but POTS is old school hard wired landline. Not fiber either.

I guess give it a week or so before filing a FCC complaint. Really old setups like that are tough since very few people are going to know or have experience working with it.

I was told there are fewer than a thousand people on this kind of bill. Which is weird because there have to be tons of people with old school hard wired land lines, right?

As for the issue, back of the napkin math says they shorted me at least $600, if not literally thousands if we go back further in my billing history. I mean I have all the bills, just need to do the math.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I have customers every day where they’ve been paying more then they had to compared to plans. On the flip side, I’ve had customers who have had super cheap plans for forever and saved a lot.

It sucks because the carrier isn’t going to go out of its way to make sure you are on the cheapest plan, and finding the best plan tends to be dependent on who you talked you in store or on the phone and what they knew or didn’t know. Add that with the most people only checking their plans only once every 2+ years, and yeah.

Yeah, the plans were fine, and I stayed with an unlimited data plan and paid far too much for it on principal. My problem was it said in writing at the top of my plan that I was receiving a discount that I didn’t get. It’s not about being on the cheapest or best plan or not having the best deal currently available, saying you get :10bux: but not giving it to you looks like straight up fraud.

I was able to consolidate plans, add a watch and still save $30 a month. The plans are fine. So glad to have unlimited again.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ATT, even executive customer issue people are amazing. I filed a complaint with the FCC, got bounced around between different executive offices and finally got a response that was the corporate form letter version of “Nuh-uuuUUUUuuuuhhhhhh”

Meanwhile I had references and proof out the rear end that they were mis billing me for YEARS.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wiggly posted:

My understanding is that those use your home internet connection and since I already have WiFi calling it is sort of moot. Am I correct?

In theory, yes. But ATT can pry my microcell out of my cold, dead hands, or remotely deactivate it eventually.

It works much better than their WiFi calling stuff.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Unfortunately the same. In my area it was either charter at 150MB, or ATT at a Gigabit.

I would do ATT fibre if it were here. Instead it’s still the same lovely Uverse so I have TWC 300mb cable modem.

I don’t think we are ever getting fibre in my hood.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pappyland posted:

I’m on the oldest iPhone Unlimited Plan with unlimited SMS. Is there any reason not to jump to a newer Unlimited Plus plan, apart from loss of a $10 FAN discount?

kingcobweb posted:

No, you're throwing away money staying on that one

I can confirm that I stayed on the OG Unlimited plan for a long long time and finally switched within the past year. Indeed the newer unlimited plans do save a bit of money and you don’t lose anything and get tethering.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Island Nation posted:

I have a old 3G Microcell that I don’t use anymore (left AT&T) and my brother-in-law wants to give it to his parents in rural PA since it’s essentially a dead zone there. Would there be any issue since AT&T refused to take back the microcell?

Does it still work? Mine died and ATT won’t fix or replace it, and aren’t selling new ones.

Totally give it to your family and get the most out of it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

What? We have microcells in retail

The dude on the tech support phone line totally lied then.

Can I take my old one in and get it replaced or do I have to buy a new one?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smackfu posted:

I think they are planning on “upgrading” everyone with those plans like this. The main reason for the price increase is the per device charge going up $10.

This is such horseshit. Is there any way to dispute this, or is it carrier change time?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think ATT is laying residential fiber down my street. U-Verse sucks so I have cable modem, is their 1000/1000 fiber service any good?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I am 100% satisfied after putting in a new mesh Wi-Fi system, the Wi-Fi in their router and the mesh extenders they sell are trash.

I have an Orbi with wired backhaul (comedy option bonded MoCA 2, but it works). I would take as little ATT equipment as possible to connect to my existing setup.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

WiFi calling works fine.

WiFi calling broke for me almost a year ago and hasn’t worked since. Apple blames ATT, ATT blames Apple.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If I’m on the old unlimited plus (the top end from two revisions ago maybe), there’s no reason to change is there?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

I always recommend getting a new SIM card whenever you change phones. There is occasionally new firmware, and some features don't work on old SIMs. When the LTE switch happened, lots of people needed to get a new SIM to enable LTE. I assume the same thing with happen with 5g?

Hopefully we can be all e-sim with 5g.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Randabis posted:

They also have eSIM which makes it even simpler than having to take the little paper clip thingy to open the SIM slot.

The eSIM sucks balls. I have two lines on my iPhone 11 and the eSIM rarely works properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know a dr who has a Windows phone and absolutely refuses to upgrade. He loves it so much.

I used to work with the other guy who would never ever willingly give up his windows phone!

Surely that must be the last remaining pollination of them on earth.