Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Watched the first episode, looks good so far-

Zorak posted:

But...
I just want to point out the manga is ongoing, so we are probably going to get an anime original ending of some kind. There is no real natural cut-off right now that really would work.

:gonk:

*edit*

PaulC posted:

gg is also pretty bad. They cocked up the very first line.
The commie translation is honestly better, but for some bizarre reason they've decided to rename the monsters "Eotenas" because they think it sounds cool

MAL seems extremely one-sided on gg vs Commie, 111/120 vs. 10/57 respectively as of this post (And nothing on Deadfish.)

But a lot of people on MAL are dumb, so I'm not sure how reliable these things are.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can think of a fair number, actually, but most of them turned out disappointing in the long run. Star Driver comes to mind in particular.

I had the opposite reaction with that show. :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Stall_19 posted:

I guess I should stop watching Game of Thrones because I never read the books or watch something like Death Note as I never read the manga or the Harry Potter movies as well. I suppose people shouldn't watch the Avengers without reading the comics they're based on. Terrible advice. You shouldn't have to read the source material on this stuff to get sufficient enjoyment out of these series.

Most of those things you've listed (Well, I dunno about Game of Thrones) follow their source material. The Harry Potter movies don't diverge from the novels and make up their own original ending where Harry goes to prison and Voldemort is shot to death trying to run a police blockade, and Death Note followed the manga for the most part, etc.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I thought it was almost good..

Guilty Crown ending spoilers
..But then they hosed up by rehashing the end of the world craziness plot after having already used it at the halfway point and killed off the Best Character.

Wasn't there supposed to be a second season of that? Didn't sell enough DVDs and Blu-rays?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I don't watch this until Tuesday, I was wondering why the new post count was so high after I stopped checking the thread out after Friday..

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Well, it's been a great show, too bad it's only 5 episodes long! :v:

^^^Close to my exact reaction.

AndroidHub posted:

And like other people have said, biggest difference is the training sequence episodes placement, in the manga the contents of episodes 3 and 4 happen after this plot arc instead of before and I'm not really sure which way I prefer it, I think it's because it sort of gives away something that would have stayed secret for all of maybe one episode, but anyways I loving love this series, I don't remember the last time an anime/manga got me this excited.

So what you're saying is that having the training sequence earlier gives away something earlier? It must mean Eren survives somehow, series ruined, dropped
Actually I'm not sure which way you mean, if the manga order gives something away, or if the anime order does. I probably don't want to know yet because Spoilers, right?

Cicero posted:

Get out your wallets Titan superfans, soon you too will be able to simulate being eaten by a giant, inhuman monstrosity: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/i-play-an-oculus-rift-demo-that-shows-you-what-its-like-to-die-spoiler-its

I don't understand this game. What buttons do I press to remember the true meaning of Christmas and use LOVE & FRIENDSHIP to escape and overthrow Revolutionary France?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Perigryn posted:

There have been more than a few series that outright got their planned episode count reduced if not cancelled based on previous episodes ratings. Baccano! (though they did make 3 more eps for the dvd release, they never resolved a few plot threads like the ending of the first ep), Ruroni Kenshin (thanks to filler, it got cancelled before the final arc could be animated), Bleach (ditto; though they were almost caught up to the manga too), Final Fantasy Unlimited (intitially planned for 52 eps suddenly got cut down to 24), etc.
I though Baccano! and Bleach at least caught up to the source material? I wasn't aware that they were deliberately flushed.

Kenshin I watched and read everything years after they were over with so I don't know if it was a situation similar to Bleach, or if they could have animated the Jinchuu arc.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Baccano had something like 9 or 10 volumes out (it's currently at 18, I think) at the time the anime was decided, but only covered about four and a half. There were hints in the first episode that they would cover the arc after that (volumes 6 and 7) but that never amounted to anything.
what
:ughh:

I thought for sure the fact that they did an anime for its sequel/twin/whatever Durarara meant it was more popular than that.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Folks who read the manga are... not used to understated violent imagery. To say the least.

Honestly, I've felt overt and understated each have their merits. The first episode with the mother just off screen was honestly more disturbing "censored" that way than seeing her legs sticking out of the titan's clenched teeth at odd angles was in the manga.

This episode however... I'm not sure I'd be able to make out what was going on if I didn't have the manga panel seared into my brain. I guess even if it was effective for folks who didn't read the manga, as a slow realization, anyone who did read the manga would probably just be kind of frustrated at the lack of clarity, waiting for the reveal that never comes.

Never read the manga, and I completely and totally missed that the lower half of the guy's body was missing. I was actually quite surprised when I clicked on the manga picture. In fact I think my brain is feeding me lines about how the anime showed at least one shot of his full and definitely not ripped/torn/chomped/whatever in half body, and I just finished watching the episode. That's how unapparent it was. That is how my brain is retroactively filling in the gaps.

Hell, I was even seriously entertaining the notion that he just might pull through long enough to briefly regain consciousness (Only to get eaten immediately afterward of course.) It was only after a long enough amount of time passed with no results that I accepted she was performing CPR on a corpse. Except as more of a desperate-don't-know-when-to-give-up/can't-tell-he's-really-dead thing that was completely different from the intended tone of her being so deranged by events as to repeatedly attempt CPR on a unmistakably dead person without any sign of ceasing and coming back to reality.

In conclusion, censorship apparently ruined the scene for me and therefore is very very bad.

WickedIcon posted:

Kool-Aid Man. :getin:

Someone make these pictures.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I watch this on Tuesdays, so after a kickass episode there's a very great temptation to give in and just watch it earlier the moment the episode comes out. I think two things stop me. First, that's a trick that will only work once before I'm back to square one.

Second, when I check on this thread and play catchup reading the 100+ posts since I bailed, I can't help but take notice of all of the littered corpses of posters who tried to spoil things. Pretty much every week. I really appreciate the mod team vanguard.

Mercrom posted:

I'd like Zorak to clarify if this thread has different rules because of how this manga is new and has a serious plot. In that thread it seemed perfectly acceptable to nonchalantly write for example "Neo-Eren" while talking about something that happens 50 chapters later. It spoiled the very last plot twist in that show to me which I would rather not have happen with this one.
JoJo Spoilers I guess?
You say the last plot twist in that show, so having finished that I assume it's not a spoiler for me anymore, but I'm curious (Based on your wording of "Neo-Eren") what that plot twist was? (Unless it IS a spoiler from outside the show?)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Mercrom posted:

Jojo-spoilers: Neo-Dio. The thing that actually bummed me out about the spoiler was that I was hoping for Dio to return in part 2, but it revealed that he only returns for part 3. :(
Also Jo-Jo spoilers: Ohhhh. I was trying to think if there was some last minute powerup I was forgetting. I guess I figured most people knew about "Neo-Dio" since the anime for that technically came out like 20-10 (you heard me) years ago and because of -that- meme it spawned on the internet.

devilmaydry posted:

Also, why are there JoJo spoilers in a completely unrelated thread? They aren't exactly major spoilers of part 3 but still.
Someone asked a question about spoiler policy and drew a comparison to the JoJo thread.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

I guess I just appreciate the lack of dramatic irony as a cheap ploy to up the tension. The uncertainty of if the plan will succeed is dramatic enough and more immersive than the uncertainty of what the plan even is.
That's the opposite of dramatic irony. Dramatic irony is when the audience knows information that the characters lack, not the other way around (Unless there's another definition that I'm not familiar with.)

Jackard posted:

Some of those AoG clips are pretty great

After the Colossal titan vanishes: posted:

"What are Eotenas I hate this loving translation"
Which one is that one, I want to see! (But I fear random rear end in a top hat English spoiler comments and am too afraid to wander around.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

One of the larger fansub groups insisted on calling them "Eotens" instead of Titans because it's more ~authentic~ or some poo poo.

Nevermind that the title of the series is literally there underscoring it in English that it's Titan, no, we're gonna call them Eoten because Jotunn!
Right, (I think that was Commie, wasn't it? Ah doesn't matter-) but I meant which Niconico video had the person complaining about it?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Dumb

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 30, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Man I know every episode can't be like -That Episode-, but it's still discouraging to see the amount of unread posts from Friday-Tuesday go from 150+ to less than 60. I guess there's just not that much to talk about given the current pace, but hopefully people aren't actually dropping the show. :ohdear:

Something I've had on my mind, and this is probably far, far, far too early in the series to ask it because who knows what the future could hold, (Aside from manga readers) but imma ask it anyway.
(Anime Viewer Q./Question from Anime Viewer:)
At this point, what would you prefer for a Final Boss Fight, regular human in Level 99 3D Gear vs. Last Boss Titan, a Titan vs. Titan Godzilla-like slugout, or human vs. some human baddie in some fashion (So long as it doesn't involve either turning into full on Titans; someone who could use Titan-like abilities while remaining the same size is a grey area.)
*edit*
Spoilered because someone said something about only having watched the first episode

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 25, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

Which that episode are you guys talking about, is it episode 5?

Certainly that's the one I was talking about. I didn't know there was another -That Episode-. Did any other episode get a bunch of foreigner reaction videos on niconico to such a degree?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
argh recap episode, just.. just take a few weeks off or something. I can find something else to watch on Tuesdays for a bit. It's cool.

Episode 13:
Er, when did Marco die? Or are we not supposed to know that yet? Wait, let me rephrase that so the answer is less likely to be a spoiler. Was it SHOWN how he died and I missed it, or does he go from alive to "Note: Marco died on his way back to his home planet"?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Azzents posted:

OP2 for your viewing pleasure. It shows some new characters and flashes of things to come so spoilers, click at your own risk.

Unless they hold the OP back for however long, isn't that inevitable just watching the show normally anyway?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Mutation posted:

So even with the increasing popularity of the show, they'll still end the series at 26 episodes? I have no idea how the anime industry works.

It doesn't sound like they're going to be leaving out THAT much material. Probably because wherever they plan to stop is the best they can do without making things worse and too deep and involved with no satisfying stopping point. And that's assuming they even plan on leaving it open to a sequel instead of making an Anime Original Ending. Consider too that if they dragged it out to say, 36 episodes and came within reach of the manga, it'd be even longer before we got a similarly lengthed followup.

Also given the rushed feel of the whole thing I think if they kept going the studio would implode.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So about the show,

I was surprised to see it actually acknowledge (And therefore likely explain somewhere down the line) what should be the fundamental spoilsport problem with having giants, fantasy or otherwise. It's especially interesting that they draw attention to it in the first place since most people probably have no clue about it and wouldn't bother questioning the premise in the first place beyond the basic "man eating giants aren't real."

I can't decide who put out the hit out on the captures, the higher-ups within humanity, or the "Titans" themselves (In which case it's likely they're two sides of the same coin anyway.) Whoever it is their motive had to be to prevent anyone from learning too much. I really can't see this being nothing more than someone putting their own easy revenge or religious dogma against the Titans ahead of the opportunity to study them. That would be boring in a story, so it's the opposite of what I'd expect in real life. :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Re: ongoing speculation spoilers

Spoilers up to 17 plus what I strongly suspect is on the money speculation

Okay the Annie stuff I understood. Even before I checked this thread (I was two weeks behind and watched 16+17 together) I already suspected her without anyone putting any ideas in my head. She conveniently stayed behind, gets special focus in the intro, and then this weird titan that not only acts intelligent but seems to recognize the main cast appears. Pretty suspicious. Got it. But did I miss something about Reiner? It sounded like people already suspected him even before Episode 17, which would be sooner than I suspected Annie of anything..

Unrelated:
I like the ongoing rivalry that seems to be developing/about to develop between Mikasa and Levi. You can tell she wants to kick his rear end. I hope they come to blows because Drama. :munch: 3D Gear fight preferred. I'll be rooting for Mikasa. I just hope it doesn't turn out like one of those tropes where Character A hates Character B's guts and then Character B suddenly dies for some unrelated reason, leaving all of that buildup completely unresolved.

Or friendship. Phhhbt. Keep that in Fairy Tail where it belongs.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
But then the Armored Titan didn't appear during Trost, he appeared during.. whatever the thing in the first episode was called. Which I guess is what Spectral Werewolf meant now that I think about it (The Armored Titan's absence, not Reiner's.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

MustelaFuro posted:

As for the anime at hand, does anyone know how popular it is internationally? From what I understand it's crazy popular in Japan but is the same true for elsewhere? I hadn't even heard of it until maybe 3 weeks ago, but I'm hooked now.

Going by Google Trend, it's apparently big popular in the Philippines based on the fact that it's #1 with the Japanese title and #2 with the English title (No other country places so highly with both titles.) Followed by Thailand, as the only other country to hit 100, with Chile as a not too distant third at 87.

As Attack on Titan:
Thailand 100
Philippines 56
Malaysia 29
Puerto Rico 25
Singapore 25
Canada 17
United States 17 Americans [relatively speaking] don't care???
Saudi Arabia 15
South Korea 14
Indonesia 14
Germany 5 (I guess Germans don't care even though it's set in their country)

As Shingeki no Kyojin:
Philippines 100
Chile 87
Indonesia 56
Panama 55
El Salvador 50
Costa Rica 45
Dominican Republic 45
Peru 43
Mexico 37
Singapore 37

(Japan is at 100 if we change the search to 進撃の巨人, followed by Hong Kong at 3, maybe the title is different in Chinese, I'm afraid to look too far into it because Spoilers. I was a nervous wreck doing this much.)

It might not be super accurate though as North America's low placement seems really strange to me.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

TK-31 posted:

I see a lot of South and Central America there but no Argentina. I feel shame in my country. So basically nothing changed.

If it makes you feel better, Argentina is just sort of barely edged out by the other South American countries that almost all love the show (And several East Asian ones.) They're still higher than the US's highest score at a respectable 23. Or look it at it another way, it's far better than Paraguay, which fails at at 0. And if you go by cities, Buenos Aires is #8. Thailand still dominates cities on the "Attack on Titan" term, with freaking three of the top four cities.

Top 5 Cities ("Attack on Titan")
Nonthaburi 100 (Thailand)
Chiang Mai 61 (Thailand)
Quezon City 58 (Philippines)
Bangkok 46 (Thailand)
Singapore 13 <----next city is 33 points lower, Jesus

Can anyone in the Philippines confirm that Quezon City is overrun by Attack on Titan advertising and merchandise? (They are also #1 for "Shingeki no Kyojin.")

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I agree with the idea that more gory = not automatically better (Like the Pencil Scene from the Dark Knight, would that have been better if there had been blood everywhere? No, it wouldn't thank you.)

BUT

That doesn't really apply here, since that was not the original intention, which does matter (The aforementioned Madoka example was, AFAIK, what you were meant to see.) Especially the split in half guy thing. I remember a few people (Myself included) that hadn't read the manga missed it due to censorship. If it wasn't originally supposed to be so subdued and you try to force it anyway, you end up confusing people, and it detracts from the scene. We're not talking about a change from a book where the visuals are only described in extremely graphic detail. Something like that lends itself to being a bit more open to adapt. Coming from a manga it seems a lot more straightforward.

But given the WAY the censorship was conducted, I doubt it was done for stylistic purposes. Otherwise these shots would have been outright changed to something else instead of image obscuring darkness that could be toggled off on a Blu-ray release.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

It should have been pretty drat easy for people to at least understand that she was trying to save a dead guy, even if it wasn't obvious that he was missing half his body. I doubt I would have cared about the scene much more if they just showed us the missing half.

Nope. I mean, I figured he was a goner given what show I was watching, but I thought they were going for the "brief resuscitation with false hope then ACK-I'M-DEAD" angle. Or if not that, possibly "I'm getting better!- *MUNCH*" The entire point of the scene as you put it ("she was trying to save a dead guy") was lost on me entirely until after the fact, at which point it no longer has the same impact. I don't think I even realized how badly he'd been mangled until I read about it on here afterward.

In order for that scene to work, it really needs to establish in no uncertain terms that the guy is dead as a doornail.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Took a break on this for several weeks due to, uh.. let's go with "Stuff." So I marathoned the last three episodes in one session today. Boy, was that ever a bad idea. I'd completely forgotten the lessons learned with binging on an unfinished manga after the anime is over. Namely that splurging without restraint means much worse withdrawal once the ride is over. Or maybe it was also largely due to the way 21 ends? Anyway,

This can be the :gonk:iest show when it wants to be.

DaveKap posted:

Man... I was actually getting really attached to tongue-biter guy and token Levi squad girl. Seeing them die actually hit me harder than any other death so far.

a kitten posted:

:( And please stop repeatedly focusing on their broken, lifeless bodies.

That and this so much. I get it, they're dead! Stop showing me me these things! :gonk: Quit rubbing salt in the wound! :(

man everything I watch is either like this/GoT, or something where the antagonists never really pile on the despair in the first place (Or contains no fighting.) I need to vent with something where a monumental rear end in a top hat that exceeds a certain threshold of jerkassery is basically guaranteed to be ed

Incidentally, I would be satisfied with an ending like that for Attack on Titan.

bonus points if Eren's final punch is delivered with his normal fist coming clear through his Titan form before connecting with and vaporizing Colossal Titan's (or whoever's) face :shepface:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Sounds like you need some One Piece or A Certain Magical Index. (Warning: Index is not actually a good show.)

I haven't gotten around to trying One Piece (Intimidating chapter/episode count I guess) but I agree about Index. The first season wasn't too bad, I guess, but it nosedived after that. I swear the author has some kind of creepy fetish for punching women in the face. At least when women are butchered in AoT I don't get the impression that the author is getting off on that. :barf:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
(spoilering just in case everyone else is supposed to be and are going to get smacked with a ruler)

Note that I'm an anime only viewer/still making assumptions here, but I wonder if it was that obvious in the manga too?

At this point since we seem to have a Captain Obvious Reveal on our hands, what'd be great is if Mikasa and Levi chase the Female Titan, and fail.. but then a second female titan shows up and that one is actually Annie! :haw:
..Of course for that to work the first one would have to be someone related to Armin, and no one else really fits the bill (Or find some other reason for him to be spared.) Oh well. Maybe we'll get a different kind of surprise to make up for it.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 5, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Hey. Hey buddy. Hey.

Don't link to TvTropes.

Don't do that thing.

O-okay, um, any particular reason why? :smith:

I didn't know the name myself offhand and included a link mainly for clarity's sake.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

This is really :tvtropes: way of saying dramatic irony. Sorry, the Greeks got there first, stop making up terms. :colbert:

No, that's a little different.

That would require a scene where it is unambiguously revealed to the audience (But none of the other main cast) that Annie is the female titan. In the scene where they are back in human form they are still hiding their face from both the characters and us, the audience. We are not officially "in" on it yet, even if most people are are 99% sure we have it figured out. There's always the possibility, however unlikely, that it is building toward a "I led you to guess exactly the wrong answer I wanted you to :smug:" result. One of my favorite stories, which I basically can't the name the title of without.. ruining the entire thing, does exactly this.

Also I don't know anything about the seedy tavern parts of that site, I just stay above ground and away from any discussions or other human beings and it works fine as a reference bank. :shrug:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Spoilers?? (Intro question, or, Let's Speculate on the Plot based on Things That Happen in The Intro)
Toward the end there's a silhouette of someone with what I think is a pony-tail centered in the middle against a background of the sun that turns into a door and then Mikasa and Armin appear on the sides. If not for the hair I'd think it was Eren, unless that's just some kind of... scarf? I think Mikasa has a red scarf, but I don't remember Eren having one. Does Mikasa give him her scarf for some reason? Or is this some other character?
I haven't read the manga, should I not be asking this question and stop being so nosy and just shut up and watch or else face undesired consequences? :can:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Well I know what conclusions I'm jumping to now. :stare:

JosephWongKS posted:

Intros lie all the time. The first OP (Episodes 1 to 13) showed Eren killing a Titan while he (Eren) was in his human form. He did not in fact kill any Titan in his human form during Episodes 1 to 13.

This seems awfully specific, though.

You are correct about intros lying. The 13th Bleach OP made me think something very, very, very different was going to happen. But it seems like for every one of those there's three that are like "Oh, you mean you didn't already read the manga? Too bad, sucker. :smug:"
(And the OP this time around did give away the spear-hook-gun-thing.. sort of.)

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Next episode preview spoiler:

ViggyNash posted:

I don't know what might have been but I also think they should have kept it.
From the sound of things, it'll probably be in the next episode.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I'm leaning toward going ahead and reading the Manga once the anime ends for the sole purpose of inoculating myself from spoilers. I just don't trust the internet enough; all it takes is one rear end in a top hat to randomly post "HURF DURF EREN DIES OF CANCER." Since I feel pretty good about a second season happening down the road, normally I'd wait, but not for something this popular. I had GoT spoiled by what I thought was an innocent link from Penny Arcade. I wouldn't be surprised if while reading news for some unrelated anime the bottom of the page or sidebar featured an article speculating on how the anime would handle The Part Where- and then welp, ruined. Or even an innocent mistake like clicking on a spoiler you thought was about the anime. I feel like I'm taking my chances waiting for the anime to finish as it is, you know?

Also, I haven't kept track of names, and in a thread this long I'm not going back to check, so this is just a general vibe, but.. It seems like earlier, let's say the first 1-7 episodes, Manga readers were telling people NOT to read the Manga if they hadn't, because the anime was just handling the story so much better etc., whereas now I'm hearing the opposite for when the season (Emphasis on "season") ends. If we assume there's going to be a second season, why not wait for that?

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
last episode spoilers

So put me down for "Had no idea anything really significant had even happened until I read the thread." And I always watch every last second of everything, so it's not as though I wasn't watching. I just assumed it was some new-manned-type Titan looking through a hole in the wall! :gonk: Well shoot.

If they don't mind cutting it close, and given the Last Minute delivery of episodes as it was they wouldn't need to wait a full 17 months, would they? Looks like I started this in April, so there should have been about 5-6 new chapters during the run? So let's say if they made another 25 episode season there would be +5 chapters coming out while it's running. Couldn't they start a new season in just a year then? Or would that be cutting it too close/too big a risk of being forced to end the run in the middle of some :tviv: development?

Of course, the problem after that is that, having taken away all of the lead the manga had, unless it ends sooner the absolute earliest for a third season would be 2 years and 4 months. But I suppose that's going to be a problem to some degree no matter what they do.

jhorphear posted:

I really hope they end up doing a second season. I would hate to be let down like i was with Berserk and Hellsing, and have to wait a freaking decade to get a second season/reboot.
Berserk is at the point where even manga readers have to wait or give in and personally poke Miura with a stick to hear what happens next. I'm jealous of the stick havers. :smith:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Archer2338 posted:

Hate to be all pedantic, but the actual Japanese title is closer in meaning to Advance of the Titans, hence why everyone is saying it's a bad translation.

I think they meant that a title with the meaning "[Humans] Attack on [the] Titan[s]" would have made more sense not as a translation of the Japanese title, but as a replacement for the original because it fits the plot better.

quote:

Interestingly enough, the Korean translation doesn't have an issue with the title being weird

How's that?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
While we're telling these stories.. My friend's reason for dropping the show (Who I suppose is notorious for dropping any and all shows at the drop of a hat) after one episode was quote, "giants are for random encounters in hills, not main antagonists." :wtc:

Okay I admit I had similar reservations at first (I think poo poo-Eating-Grin Titan changed my mind) but.. that guy. :ughh:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Just tell him "who do you think the real enemy is?" while putting your hands on his shoulders and when he reacts, just say "sorry for asking such a weird question".Or at least ask him to give it four episodes.

He's hopeless. Even another friend of his who he claimed was translating the show couldn't convince him to watch it. And he holds said friend's opinion of such things in higher regard than mine. He has a veritable graveyard of dropped anime. He demands better than the best. His time is just in too much demand these days.

(like time to watch both seasons of Valrave it would seem)

You had a much cooler experience, I envy you man.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think he skipped Eva entirely, never having watched a single episode or movie afaik. I'm a bit fuzzy on any reasons he had for that one though.

Tenebrais posted:

I'd assume that excuse was more of a joke, or stretching to cover whatever the real reason he didn't like it. After all, I'd wager the first time most of you ever heard of a giant was as the main antagonist of Jack And The Beanstalk.

I think he may have said a couple of other things about it, but that reason was the only one he kept coming back to as his stated reason for disinterest. When I pushed, he didn't pull out other excuses, it was always "Hill Giants." I admit I would be biased against watching something with Zombies, but in my defense Zombie related franchises are a bit oversaturated at the moment, something you can NOT say about giants (And yet I still watched Highschool of the Dead.. unfortunately.)

He also apparently dropped Kill la Kill after 2 episodes, calling it an "Adult Swim cartoon" in a pejorative sense (4 on MAL.) And don't get me started on what happened when I had him watch Gurren Lagann (1 on MAL.) But Robotics;Notes was apparently a near flawless masterpiece (9 on MAL.) Even outside of anime he does this, he holds Raiders of the Lost Ark over my head as proof of my poor taste in movies in the same way a normal person would toward someone who recommended Police Academy 6.

tl;dr
yes, he really does have incredibly random reasons for disliking nice things, his tastes are inscrutable :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

Your friend is like some kind of twisted Bad Taste Elemental.

I should probably mention (And not just because I'm feeling guilty about all this talking behind his back-) that he doesn't have universally terrible opinions. No no, that would make things too simple, I could just disregard his opinions out of hand. He's given high marks to shows like Cowboy Bebop, Slayers, Full Metal Panic, FMA (Both versions), Code Geass Season 1, Madoka, Spice and Wolf, Baccano.. hell sometimes he even sticks around for the ride on things like Guilty Crown (Based on what the rest of you said I'm guessing that's why Valrave is in there.)

See, the truly agonizing, frustrating thing is that he's capable of interesting insight and analysis or speculation (I actually had an experience more like Mordaedil's when I introduced him to Slayers.) That's why I've continually made the mistake of recommending things - to see what intelligent commentary he might have on other good anime. I'll see him write a small but interesting essay on something like Ouran High School Host Club and think "Wow, I'd like to see that sort of analysis of X" and then recommend it, wait with anticipation, and then be cruelly disappointed. give me your dissertation on my japanese cartoon already you jerk :smith:

Also I should mention SUPPOSEDLY there is one tit for tat circumstance in which he will watch it, but:
1) Since my part involves me reading an extremely long VN it could take a couple of years for me to fulfill given my glacial pace at reading
2) There's no guarantee he will give it a fair try. He is almost as notorious at reneging on deals as he is dropping shows (I wouldn't be surprised if he came up with another BS excuse to stop watching it, like "EW GROSS PSEUDO INCEST BETWEEN EREN AND MIKASA, DROPPED.")

If I ever do get him to watch it, I'll let everyone know what new and exciting reason he had for dropping it after 2 episodes. :v:

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 10, 2014

• Locked thread