Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Shannonmcn posted:

That last comment he makes, holy loving poo poo.
Seriously. I forgot I was here and tried to reply for a moment. Obviously, the guy thinks he's the moral one here, but he's just espousing that same prurient fascination with rape that so many people pat themselves on the back for. He's the one having the clearly graphic fantasy about a girl being gangraped here.

For content, here's yet another visit to the Armageddon-loving page my parents like. This is in response to news about an earthquake in AZ:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

FrozenVent posted:

Jesus these people are eagerly awaiting the apocalypse are they?

And what about that secret evacuation of the West coast? :ohdear:
Oh yes. They salivate over anything horrible that happens in the news. I keep an eye on the page for morbid comedy value (I like to be reminded of my upbringing), and the worse an event is, the happier they are over it. Especially if it involves people aren't white dying. I'm not even kidding. They want horrible thing to happen because A) it's a punishment for the non-whites and non-Christians, and B) they really want Jesus to come whisk them away from this world of homosexual Muslim atheist Mexicans.

EDIT! Here are selected comments from an article they posted on a bald eagle being shot, which was apparently Obama's fault and predicted by multiple preachers' dream visions. The picture wasn't gory, just an eagle lying on a table with a respirator, but I've covered it anyway.

Taliaquin has a new favorite as of 19:06 on May 28, 2013

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Silly Hippie posted:

I've actually seen women in burqas two or three times here in Texas. But yeah, it's very noticeable and memorable which suggests to me that people who talk about seeing "all these Muslim women in burqas" or whatever are full of poo poo.
I live in a predominantly Muslim neighborhood, and I think I've only seen one or two women who wear the burqa. It really does stand out to the point that people who act like Muslim women are all wearing it just sound stupid.

It's been a few days since I've checked my favorite Apocalypse fetish FB page...

Normally I would think that's a troll, but Albert is a frequent poster on that page, and by that I mean he posts on literally every single thing, usually a variation of "tick tock" or, if he feels his ticks and tocks aren't enough, he'll request someone else to post it with him. He's obsessed and seems pretty genuine, so I think we have an unironic Santans sighting here.

GOD'S BACK YARD! :byodood:

Oh, Bryndon. :allears: And apparently some weird social drama is going on with Albert, judging by comments on a few other posts, but I don't care enough to scroll back and see what it is.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
It's time for the Apocalypse again! Apparently there is literally a Horseman of the Apocalypse riding around in a tornado.

All right, which one of you is Kevin?

vv Poor Albert didn't make it onto this one before I screencapped it. Now he's got other people doing that tick tick thing. I'm so happy he has friends.

Taliaquin has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jun 18, 2013

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
There are actually two horses at work here - the ugly blue horse pictured above, and the "pale horse" of Revelation. The woman claiming to see a horse somewhere on the left is referring to the latter. I don't see it. <:mad:>

EDIT: Unless she thinks the blue horse is the pale horse of Revelation, in which case Revelation is a loving let-down.

Taliaquin has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Jun 19, 2013

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

VogeGandire posted:

Thank god it's not just me that hears "four horsemen" and instead of thinking "Conquest, War, Famine and Death", thinks "Arn, Ole, Tully and Ric".

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Fixed for true the true four.
And Arn... won't be Arn... anymore. :dawkins101:

No, you loving idiot, that's a tornado loving looks like.

Literally every conversation I have with my parents sounds like this FB page.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Welp, my parents sent me an email to remind me to read End Times Headlines, so I'll honor their wishes. Here's more fundies on Facebook. (I'm not covering their names anymore because it's a public page.)

"BUY A GUN TO PROTECT YOUR GARDEN FROM THE GUBMINT!" :freep:

"gorilla gardens"

But my favorite is actually Sophia, because I love it when God speaks directly to these people. :allears:

Not only do they use :siren:ABORTED FETUSES:siren: in vaccines, they also use "EVERYTHING!"

Yep, train totally exploded. Nevermind what anyone who knows anything about trains says about how derailment works, God has personally told me that was a bomb.
Bonus Illuminati.

It actually really, really bothers me that my parents believe (and even say) this poo poo. :smith:

Taliaquin has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jul 27, 2013

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Death-jacking! I haven't actually talked to the OP here for a long time (someone I knew in high school, added me on FB, the usual) and I don't know what their situation is, but if it is indeed a death, then the third reply is mindblowingly insensitive. Each color in his post is a different (dead) person (yellow is mentioned twice).

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Fabulist posted:

There's so much smug.

At first I didn't notice the weight and thought they were celebrating a pet fish so I thought the OP was cute. :3:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's still going. Note that red is bipolar and has attempted suicide multiple times.

e: changed to timg because long
My dad literally believes this poo poo. He's also bipolar and unmedicated and refuses to seek any treatment whatsoever, and my mom, despite being a nurse and having seen some really creepy and threatening behavior from him for 30 years, doesn't think it's any big deal. He used to sit me down for talks exactly like this when I was diagnosed with it and still tries to if I'm visiting and he sees me take my meds. His mother was also bipolar, untreated, and was abusive to him and his siblings. But hey, it's just the highs and lows of life, isn't it? :smug:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Here's something different for 9/11 -- my FB friend, who is securely middle class to the point that he was able to buy a house in his early 20s, took this nice little picture on his way to work. That's his arm at the bottom, proudly displaying his nice suit and watch.

Teehee! :psyduck:

I really thought I'd gotten rid of all the FYGMs I'm not related to, but apparently not.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I love how Aspartame is in the background, because anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds simply aren't widespread enough. You've got to incorporate EVERYTHING.
I've also heard that every mass shooter in the past 20 years regularly water, aka dihydrogen monoxide.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Fatkraken posted:

If you're interested in a very accessible book about the history of cancer treatments and the societal attitude towards cancer, I highly recommend this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emperor-All-Maladies-Siddhartha-Mukherjee/dp/0007250924 It's a really interesting look at the biology of the disease-group, the history and sociology of treatments, even the politics of the search for treatments. It'll arm you with a plethora of diverse responses to stupid Facebook posts about miracle cures, research and so forth.
I was just about to recommend this. It's not exactly my normal reading material, but I got a free copy with something and figured there was no sense in wasting it. It's a fascinating study, and written in a way that people without a lot of medical knowledge can read it easily. And it really does a good job of not only refuting some of those FB claims but explaining why cancer and its treatments don't work the way people assume they do.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

volts5000 posted:

Wasn't this made back during the "What is the deal with people sharing pictures with artifacts?" discussion? It may have been from another thread. If so, the pic made it to my cousins.
A girl I went to high school with shares that picture every. loving. day. She really wants that favor, apparently.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Ogive posted:

My God man, what are you implying about comic book movies?!

(This was also my favourite part).

As a horror movie fan, I got a little giggle out of her using Supernatural as an example. :getin:

I learned the awkward way when someone made a similar request on social media that when people welcome buddies for horror movies, they still don't want to watch horror movies. It's just a ploy to get physical or something.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

HairyManling posted:

You guys are really missing the point on this one. Let's not fool ourselves, this guy has never read The Great Gatsby. He's just pining for a simpler time when non-whites were segregated and weren't allowed to vote. You know, the good ole days.
And when women knew they were better off as stupid arm candy.

Gatsby is a guilty pleasure of mine (haven't seen the new movie yet, though), and it always amazes me how anyone can read it, or anything by Fitzgerald, and come away with the message that these people are having a good time and those were the good ole days. That's one of the points of the story -- nobody there is having a good time. They're all desperate to, and their desperation will destroy them. Much like Fitzgerald's own life.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Lap-Lem posted:

The thing that always gets me about these kinds of proposals is that it seems the proposer is forcing the proposee to say 'yes'. Since they risk public humiliation if they say no. There was a clip I watched where at a sports even the girl said no and she had to run out of the entire stadium while being booed. It just reminds me of the episode of It's always Sunny in Philadelphia where the dude is telling people how great it is to have a boat because 'the implication' they have to say yes, because of 'the implication'.

I do assume that most people agree to the proposal before the dude actually asks the question. But super public proposals still skeeve me out.
I'm with you on this (unless marriage has been discussed by both parties beforehand and the proposal is just making it official). Spectators want to see a "yes," but they don't really know anything about the couple's relationship. Wasn't there one failed public proposal where it turned out they'd only been on a few dates prior to that? Or was that one staged for awkwardness?

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Clochette posted:

This seems really familiar, I could swear I've seen it before. I think "bodyshape" is supposed to be some creepy term for an attractive woman.
It reminds me of the use of "hardbody" in American Psycho.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

IronicDongz posted:

I've heard that there were other zoos that would buy it off them, but I don't really know if that's true, or anything about the logistics of transporting animals between zoos/budgeting for buying an animal as a zoo.
The other zoo that offered to buy it doesn't participate in the breeding program the Danish zoo is affiliated with, and apparently they don't sell animals to zoos outside that breeding program. That's how I understand it, at least, from the article I read just before work.

vv Her comma is stolen? I'm assuming she was trying to a heart with <3, but I don't see how she managed to make that into a comma.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

DemeaninDemon posted:

A PhD means you're really really good at one particular thing. As a side effect, it also means you really really suck at everything else.

Obligatory Toast posted:

My father and older sister both have PhDs and this couldn't be more true.
Hey now. I'm a few months away from a PhD and I am also good at baking, so that's two things I'm good at.
I do suck at everything else. :eng99:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Inspector Zenigata posted:

This is slightly off-topic, but I think it's weird when people on this site claim that MRAs and the like don't exist outside of the internet. It makes me think they're long out of college or something, because even at Hampshire, one of the most hilariously over-the-top liberal campuses in the US, there's a small but noticeable contingent of MRAs. The same was true at the other school I went to, and there were proto MRAs at both high schools I attended, and that was years ago. I see MRA posters stapled to telephone poles regularly in pretty much every college town I visit. Youth culture is bizarre and moronic, and I can imagine why people who are slightly older would have difficulty believing that bronies, MRAs, and tumblr SJWs are exclusive to the internet, but the fact is that they aren't. Knowing about memes and furries and all that poo poo that was totally obscure and arcane five, ten years ago isn't the exclusive domain of the nerdy pasty shut-ins anymore. It's a brave, terrible, new world out there. The internet has ruined everything.
Some of my (college) students referenced MRA websites as objective research in a recent project. I was horrified. (Doubly so because they were all women.)

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Possible LGBT reading aside, what was the Arrested Development reference?

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Elfface posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Shakespeare has mentioned cancer, so a known entity 500 years ago is very provable. In fact, it's a relatively modern reference. A quick google tells me the first reference to cancer is from 3,000BC in Egyptian scrolls, though obviously they didn't call it cancer then.

But what do I know? I can't cause my aetheric body to leave and say 'screw science' then zoom in on my bones to see stuff science happens to agree on. I mean, it's one thing to say 'Typical people take science on faith, they've never actually seen blood cells, only pictures in books' but if you're saying it's a lie and your soul-vision is better, why not go full-magic and say all humans are made of concentrated belief and could fly if they weren't brainwashed into thinking they couldn't? At the very least, it'd make a cool story.
The Emperor of All Maladies is a really good book on the history of cancer and even discusses its presence in ancient Egyptian medical texts. It's not a medical text, so it's very accessible to readers. Whenever I see people posting on FB about how cancer is a manmade or an otherwise recent disease, I want to send them an Amazon link or even offer to let them borrow my copy of it, but I worry about sounding smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
My parents clean the tops of their cans with rubbing alcohol for this very reason. Sometimes my very :tinfoil: dad cleans produce with rubbing alcohol as well.

• Locked thread