Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Who/when was the last person to be sentenced to death by the federal government? (in court, drones/seals don't count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

Is there a single piece of evidence yet that these two were terrorists? Because I see it thrown around a bunch and I haven't seen anything to indicate their motive or message.

Evidence: incited terror all over america with IEDs.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

I don't think y'all got the meaning of my question. Evidence that they had a particular political motive or message, making the act terroristic, rather than a Holmes or Columbine style act of weird masculine destruction.

That is not required for the classification of terrorism. Obama even mentioned it in his latest update.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

I always thought it was. How else could we define it?

Start here: http://web.mit.edu/ssp/seminars/wed_archives08spring/richardson.htm

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

T. Finninho posted:

Here's the thing though: I don't give a poo poo. He and his brother are (were) terrorists

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck......

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

I've already read this, in fact it is what I was operating on, because the first words are:

Followed by

Look dude, they knew what the bombs meant to Americans. They weren't psychos who just wanted to see what the reaction would be. It was indeed politically inspired, and we don't need to understand or validate the message to call it terrorism.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

This is all I'm wondering - how do we know this? It seems like a pretty important thing to know if we're to accurately assess what the hell went on to cause this.

Listen to any one interview with people who know the subjects.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

Thanks for the reply. It seems like it's almost going to be easier for the community to process if this is an explicitly political act for whatever agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBAa0QwlYw

listen to the whole thing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

I thought we already had like twitter accounts, youtube accounts etc. which might have shed some light on this, I was confused is all? You think you have a monopoly on caring about this poo poo? I have family in Boston too, so gently caress off with the attitude, god drat.

It is my experience on these forums that calling out mods for attitude with attitude is generally a bad idea

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

I lived in Northern Ireland for 8 years during the troubles. I really found it easier to process the people I knew who died because it wasn't "random", it was a cowardly war. At least I had an answer to the question "why?"

You didn't watch the video I told you to watch, I know because you keep posting and the video is 5 minutes long.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Volume posted:

I'm watching it and if you had the police conference video I'd watch that too! Yes that's a request to any one in this thread.

Sorry, I can't seem to find that one. I listened to it on the radio and it was pretty touching. But the reporters could go gently caress themselves.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

Would you mind pointing out the part of that video you want us to focus on or no?

The part where why doesn't matter. (for the classification of this as terrorism)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 20, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

And why on earth would that be the case?

Because people are using it as an excuse to say/argue with each other this is not terrorism. It clearly. Is.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

There's no set definition of terrorism and based on the last 10 years of American history it's a word that means everything and nothing. This was a bad thing that happened but labeling it terrorism or not is just semantics.

Well ok sure whatever. :wow: I'm tired of this anyways.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

We're transitioning to fox news 'welfare did this' now.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm soooo happy the authorities wrapped this up in 4 days, what a great way to say gently caress off to criminals.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

"Serious condition."

"Not dead"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fancy Corndog posted:

Yes and no. Yes in that they have managed to create for themselves a sense of false importance. No in that no.

They managed to get a callout to the internet by obama and then literally in the same sentence a reprimanding for false accusing and vigilantism

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the popes toes posted:

he evaded capture with more skill than his brother,

I'm not sure about that, seemed a lot more like blind luck that he survived longer/ didn't get shot to death.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Amos Moses posted:

I remember at one point they were calling for ballistic dogs.

Ballistic dogs made me giggle sort of like tactical bear and perimeter lobsters.

My neighbor's dog goes ballistic whenever I throw my leftover meat over the fence. Ballistic dogs..... :laffo:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Speaking of movie miranda rights, can't wait for the SVU episode where the bomber is also a sexually abused sociopath and all the federal/state interactions are 'tense as gently caress'

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Any confirmation he was armed in the boat?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Romes128 posted:

He fired dozens of rounds at the police who showed up to investigate the boat. Hit one.
Ah I definitely missed that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

There are only about a million people in Chechnya anyway so i wouldn't be surprised

Chechnya has always really interested and saddened me. It's just such a strange place with a long.. long bloody history. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFyK0wkkFcg

This video was from the year or two before these guys left.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Americans with Chechnyans in.. in. syria? uhhhh what https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm7j5bHBfxY

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

Who loving gives a poo poo where you're born. Your birth place doesn't mean a goddamn thing, it's about where you grow up.

Try telling that to my Irish friends :allears:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anus Dei posted:

Actually don't. Watch some kitten cam or something.

That's actually a really great idea right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxxzGVLwxIQ

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Radbot posted:

Let's honor the biggest hero: the guy who checked his boat and made the capture possible in the first place.

Without getting shot in the face!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Which is quite odd, assuming that he actually lifted the tarp and saw the suspect. Because, apparently when the police did it, the suspect returned fire.

I suspect the suspect was tryin' to catch some z's or was delirious from bloodloss.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can anyone here who knows anything about how manhunt procedures in the United States tell me, on a scale of 1 to 10, just how likely it was that we were going to take White Hat alive, 1 being "Completely expected" and 10 being "About as probable as taking Bin Laden alive"? Thanks.

On a scale of ducks to chicken, this was chicken. Osama was more mallard I would say.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Copley Depot posted:

But on the other hand, 19 year old kid with no apparent plan. Possibly unprepared for the amount of attention the bombing would create.

I listened to an interview with a classmate of his in AP English. If you're in AP English and growing up in america since 9/11, you absolutely are going to know what attention bombings will create in america. She said he was smart, normal, funny, semi quiet but 'not troubling' and she wanted to get to know him better.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 20, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I heard on the radio three times that the boat owner peeked in the tarp and saw a "bloodied man"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I have a lot of respect for that boat owner. Just hearing my yard gate creak at night makes me jumpy sometimes.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

Only in vehicles and having one while committing a crime.

drat you ryan gosling! :arghfist:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Don't blame robots for this, man. Just don't.

Robots don't hurt people, people controlling robots do

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The right of the people to keep tactical bears and robots with arms shall not be infringed. :colbert:

Tactical bears... and robots with arms? No loving way, not in my country.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

How could they go home to pick up guns etc? Didn't the police know their home address at that point?

I don't believe anybody knew the suspect's names until the brother was identified in the hospital.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The only thing I think the brother may have convinced him into believing was that they weren't going to get caught.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

People keep on talking away like a terrorist bomber's mindset is ever going to make sense to them after we argue about it enough. Not enough evidence... :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

His inputs can make sense to us though, even if his brain remains a black box. That's somewhat useful, I suppose.

His inputs? You have his ambiguous twitter account. Good luck with that man. I hope people someday will try to understand my real life actions through my SA ramblings. "Wait, he said something about loving chickens!? What is this GOATSE? Sadistic gently caress!"

• Locked thread