Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's honestly somewhat depressing to think that this game is a significant improvement over something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Something about Latyss makes me think she's hiding the fact the top of her head is a watermelon with a glam rock wig.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Heroes do Cry

Since we solved the mystery and saved everyone, the city is populated again and has happy music!

Let's take a short walk around..

Oh contraire! You could thank me with a lot of money...but that won't happen. There is actually no reward for saving everyone, aside from that fuzzy feeling in your tummy. People say nice things to you, but that's it.

Join the club, buddy!

The shops are also open now, so let's see if they offer anything useful.

Aside from a few pieces of armor, the smith also offers better weapons for Orubia and Latyss.

And they change their standard animations!

Orubia's flail became more spiky.

And Latyss now uses a bow, whereas her first animation was for using a boomerang. It's another point on the effort scale to include different animations for different weapons!

The general shop also has something that I want.

Revive items should really be in your standard kit in any RPG. I also pick up a batch of herbs since they straight up cure any bad effects.

I also lied when I said that there is no reward for your troubles...

:reject:

Jep, the trader gives you one free potion!... I guess it's the gesture that counts?

Moving on...

Before triggering the next scene, I visit our two service people.

"In that case...*ignoring* I'll give you THIS!"

:confused:

"Wait a sec!! How come a tree can pop up by just giving you the points?"

"Hey man relax! It's just a GAME...."

"(...OK~...)"

I'll show the tree later and it's actually something neat. Also his price rises from 15 to 20Vp.

With that out of the way, it's time for the LOVE Counter!

Att >>> 16

More like Caris Brofist, right? Right? :thejoke:

Att >>> 15

Maybe Ryle had a secret haircut or something?

Att >>> 9

No surprise here. :smith:

As mentioned in the last update, you progress by resting at the Inn again. This will kick-off a lengthy scene with anime and romance. You better strap in!

"Yes we do. (Young man, you got QUITE a company *smile*)"

"Eh~"

"(Don't be shy...I just tell the girls we got only 1 room left...so all of you can stay in the SAME room...hehe)"

OH NO

"Wait a sec! What are you talking about?"

"Here's your key. (Please keep it down, ok?)"

"Hey! Are you listening to me?"

This can't end well...

"......"

"......"

"....."

"Hey...Ryle!"

"Why are you in our room?"

"I have no idea..."

I do. It's for purely comedic reasons. :pseudo:

"Let me hear the acceptable excuse of yours*smile* Depend on what kind of answer..."

"I'll write you a ticket to HELL!"

"Like I said, that stupid innkeeper gave me only 1 key~"

"Why don't I give you PAINLESS death by turning you into an ice cube..."

Whoa, where the hell did she get that attitude?

"Oh come on, Latyss! Don't be serious!!"

"Oh you poor thing~ I'll go easy on you. You'll be the target practice for my new moves!!"

"Hey! Why don't you believe me? Don't you TRUST me at all?! Orubia! Come on~ Say something!"

"I, I trusted you...*tearful eyes*"

"Not that weepy face again~ Bad timing!"

"You want it HOT?"

"Or you prefer COLD?"

"OK! OK! I give up! Do whatever you want."

Ryle makes the smartest decision yet, and goes downstairs.

"Ok, I got it. (So you want to enjoy 1 by 1 eh?)"

Why the gently caress are you so greasy?

"What are you talking about...?"

"Oh, don't be shy! Here's the key..Hehehe"

"(I give up...~)"

Well, at least you got your own room and dodged a whole can of worms, pal. Also...

Caris suddenly decides to go for a walk.

Let's pursue!

She's sitting on a bench, and you should guess that you can trigger a scene with her. I actually like it and won't interject for once.

"Caris!"

"Ryle...?"

"Hard to sleep? Well, I don't blame you after so many things happened..."

"Mm... *nod*"

"What's wrong? It's not like you at all..."

"How can I be ok? You almost got killed in front of my eyes!!"

"Ask anybody if he can sleep well after having gone thru that kind of situation!"

"I see your point... But come on, I'm alive now."

"But...I can't get rid of that scene from my memory, as if it was burned scars."

cue weepy music

"!! (She's crying?)"

"I CAN'T!!! I can't take it out of my mind!"

"Caris..."

"I just, just don't know what to do!"

"Sorry...Because of my recklessness, I made you go thru horrible things..."

"That's not what I meant!! Why did you simply give up on your life? Why not try to survive?"

"Caris..."

"Ok. I promise I'll do that next time..."

"Only words....don't count."

"I'll swear to you!!"

"But..."

"I'll do it! I'll keep my words!"

"...Alright... I believe you this time."

"What do you mean by "this time"?!"

:3:

Att 16 >>> 19

Let's be honest, this scene would fly in any other of the more serious JRPGs. Since I never used Caris in the opening, this scene was also new to me. I have to say that it revised my opinion on her a bit. I'll stop hating on her now. :) I really expected you to vote for Latyss, but what the gently caress do I know?

After this, Ryle and Caris go back to discuss the next steps with the group.

"I better hurry. Daddy would be worried...even now."

"I agree."

"...Me too..."

"By the way, Orubia. Can I ask you one thing? The reason why Shisho sent you guys over here.."

"Ummm...~"

"I wondered why Shisho sent you guys knowing the real danger here? Why not himself coming here instead?"

"That's odd. Now I realize..."

"...Actually...It was a lie...that he ASKED us to come here..."

"WHAT!?"

:suspense:

"Y...You LIED!?"

"!!"

"(Only Orubia is not shocked... That means she left the village without her dad's knowing?)"

What an astute observation!

"Baka Yaroh! (You Idiot!) you could have died out there along with other girls!! What were you thinking?!!"

"!!"

"Ryle!! Don't scold her like that! We are alive because of her!"

"Oh! I am sorry..."

"But, why did you have to lie to everyone to come here?"

"Daddy did some research about the incident, and he found out that the Soul Eater might be the cause. Then he told me that Ryle doesn't stand a chance! And I, I just don't know what to do!"

So with knowing all of this, your father just went to back to chillaxing instead of telling anyone else? Like, Ryle's master for instance?...Orubia, your dad is a jerk.

"I understand...but please don't do that again. I don't have to worry about my own death since I got no family. But you have your dad so..."

"...Mm..(At least 1 person will be very sad, you know..."

"Alright then, tommorow we'll go back to Lavas Ville. Dismissed!"

Would you believe that this scene still isn't over?... You better....

A little later, Ryle hears a knock on his door.

"It's me."

"Orubia?"

"Umm..do you have a minute?"

"Sure, come on in."

"Thanks....How about take a breeze?"

"...Yeah. Kind of stuffy inside."

"So, what's up?"

"Sorry.. I turned you down when you asked me back then."

"Oh you didn't have to. I didn't mind it at all. You see? it doesn't matter anymore because you saved my life... I really owe you one this time...Thanks to you, I can be here."

"...Some, Somehow you are very kind to me today...~"

"Waita sec! haven't I been nice to you all the time?"

"I didn't mean that..."

"Don't be so rash any more... I don't want any more trouble than you do..."

"You mean you don't want anyone to get involved?"

"It's not that..."

"Dear Ryle...I won't ask you too much. Could you please let me help you...just a little bit?"

"People need each other's help and care to live on..."

Did I already mention that this game also teaches you about the magic value of friendship? Because you better be sure that there will be more moral high points along the line. Pointing out that Ryle's desire to be the lone hero is stupid, is a really common point.

"Need each other..hmm..."

"Even I, need someone's..."

"Huh?"

"Oh! Um, Umm~..I just remembered to do something!! So, so good night!"

"H-Hey! Wha..What was all that about~ "

Att 15 >>> 17

At least he isn't the only one who is awkward and clueless. :3:

Well, Ryle and his battle harem set out on the next morning. And before going back to Lavas, I visit the magic tree that I got for my VPs.

You can find the water next to Ryle's house. Using it on the tree will make an item grow.

It's pretty great, but walking back and forth is tedious. So I won't be using the tree too much. But if you're patient, you can skip on buying potions or jellos for the rest of the game.

When you reach Lavas again, the girls depart and a plot-railroad starts.

"I was wrong Shisho. Because of me, Caris and everyone in the village got into such a mess."

"You should've know the consequences of your actions Ryle, that it my affect others' lives! Why didn't you come to me before you act alone?"

"Factoria Castle didn't respond to the people of Southern Cray. So I..."

"That's not an excuse!! Just because the capital won't care, it doesn't mean that you can go and do whatever you want!"

"Dad! That's not fair!!"

"You be quiet!!"

"!!"

:owned:

"Ryle...I didn't blame you for tackling on the serial killer, but your reckless actions endanger all of us! What if someone becomes a victim of your careless actions? Understood?"

"..Yes sir...My behaviors were very immature..I'll be careful next time."

"Go home and think about it! Then come to me if you need any help."

Turns out, saving a town doesn't keep you from getting grounded!

"Come to think of it...(It was ME being responsible putting everyone into danger after all..."

"Next time, I swear leaving the town alone....(Maybe it's a good idea to pretend visiting the neighbor village and just take off. hmm...Anyway, I'll go to Lailai Town first thing in the morning...then think what to do next.)"

Aaaaaand Ryle hasn't learned anything! :downs:

Wait, that isn't entirely true. Because he changed his class job title overnight!

He also has a new menu face for the time being.

:emo:

Aside from this, he also gains a new skill. A triple slash against single targets, which is cheap and great for spamming.

The next step of the railroad is going to Lailai and sleeping at the Inn. Let's gloss over that and rejoin Ryle on the next morning.

Yeah, the game just leaves you with this line. No hint on what "it" actually is, but at least with a clear direction.

Like, really clear. :)

"In order to go to other continents, I need boats or sort to sail across the inner sea."

Oookay, that comes out of nowhere but continue...

"There's no other way... I don't want to get stuck in here...Waitta sec, I used to make a simple boat before. Why not now?"

"I got plenty of wooden material at the forest east of Lavas and the clothe & rope from Lailai. Alrighty, let's do it!"

"I better finish it before the girls notice. Better hurry."

And then he just does it...

By now, Ryle is a traveler, swordsman, ghostbuster, ranger and also a boatbuilder. I wonder how extensive his portfolio will become?

Well, this is a perfect spot to end the update. Next time Ryle will set out into the real world! What wonders may await him? Sharks and boobies

Note: This update had a lot of talking, but the pacing of the game kinda forced my hand here. I'd like to know if this was too much, or if it can be seen as a benchmark for "long" updates? Like, there will be more parts with lots of words, and I want to present them comfortably for you. I could also include a video or two for those romantic scenes? Just drop a line if you feel like it.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 26, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Longer updates are fine, but you might wanna double check before posting.

You got this one on here twice

Edit: You got the second error. :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, that's what you get when finishing updates after watching the finals of the Champions League :) Should be all fixed now.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I think overall this was a good length for the update considering what was in it. If you know you're going to run into lots of talking, either end an update a little early to help keep size down, or if it happens not too long after the start simply mention that it's going to be an long/extra-long update due to talking. But this is only my personal opinion and I'm use to long/double post updates from folks like Feinne and TheOneAndOnlyT. Others might like/prefer shorter updates.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That was a fine length for the update. The writing in this game is not that great in general, which makes the occasional good bits all the more surprising. Maybe video for the "romantic" scenes if you want. When Caris isn't trying to mess with Ryle's head (and sometimes when she is), she's quite likeable.

Maybe Ryle built the ship over a couple of weeks?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Obviously, the boat building went a little something like this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

As sweet as that was,

ANIME SHE HULK NO LIKE SILLY ANIME MAN! SHE HULK SMASH!

And the changing animations are cool, but they are awkward as a motherfucker. Like look at how Orubia is holding the mace. Or how Latyss is firing the bow underhanded.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 26, 2013

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

And the changing animations are cool, but they are awkward as a motherfucker. Like look at how Orubia is holding the mace. Or how Latyss is firing the bow underhanded.

It's a lot more obvious when you see them as a looping .gif. In the game, you see each one for literally half a second while you're busy navigating menus for the next turn. I didn't even have time to notice that Orubia is wearing the worst dress; I thought she had a tabard over a full skirt, like her stock walking sprite.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe Ryle built the ship over a couple of weeks?
Nah, he made it right there over the span of moments. Like, I'm not sure how much time can pass during two text boxes of hammering and clank noises, but I assume it's not much. Time didn't even visibly pass when Ryle was in his bed and thinking about what to do next. The text implies that a night has passed, but there is no transition or anything. Continuity isn't a big thing here. :)

Tbh, I assume he just twiddled a towel to some sticks and then nailed the whole thing onto a log. I like that mental image. :v:

SSNeoman posted:

ANIME SHE HULK NO LIKE SILLY ANIME MAN! SHE HULK SMASH!
:D

And you're right, the animations are a bit awkward when you take a closer look. Like, Orubia is just doing a hand move for magic and has a flail hovering infront of her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tin Tim posted:

Nah, he made it right there over the span of moments. Like, I'm not sure how much time can pass during two text boxes of hammering and clank noises, but I assume it's not much. Time didn't even visibly pass when Ryle was in his bed and thinking about what to do next. The text implies that a night has passed, but there is no transition or anything. Continuity isn't a big thing here. :)

I can tell continuity isn't a big thing. Neither is giving a clear cause and effect or understandable chain of events.

Does this game have an actual over-arching plot starting up soon? I mean romance arcs and stuff in games are fine, but a game with romance as the sole point is shallow at best.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Does this game have an actual over-arching plot starting up soon? I mean romance arcs and stuff in games are fine, but a game with romance as the sole point is shallow at best.
Oh yeah. The plot will kick off in a couple of updates. Technically, it starts with the next one, but you can't know that without having played the whole game. I'm legit curious how the various layers of the plot will be received as we go along. It's not deep by any means, but has a few surprises.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Setting out to sea in a hand-built boat may be the least death-wishy thing we've done all game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Everything Gets Thicker

Our real adventure starts now.

"See ya..Caris, Orubia, Latyss. Shisho, Preshes..."

I think the core motivation here is that Ryle doesn't want to endanger his friends. It's pretty dumb but at least something, right?

Our trip isn't going very far though. We can only access this circular body of water, and the only point of interest is the island in the middle of it.

I also immediately encounter sharks.

They are not dangerous at all. Aside from a melee attack, they can also cast a water spell. Both do little damage and Ryle can one-shot them with his new triple attack.

As said, the only thing you can do is to go on that island.

Try to figure out why this place is named "Volcana Town". :) Also, those grey patches will hurt you so they're supposed to be lava or something?

It's..it's so... :japan:

Welcome to Japan-town! Everything in here is styled after glorious nippon. But there is in fact very little that you can actually do.

I quickly swing by the smith and buy a better sword and some armor. The usual, you know?

The bar and Inn share the same house. But I forgot to cap the name of the bar. :)

Inside, there is progress waiting in form of that red person.

But let's take a quick step upstairs first....

..and find the next NG scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprqTNPYSPU
:cripes:

With that out of the way, let's chat up the only interesting person in the whole village.

Oh boy, I have been waiting for this one...

"!?"

This Kuno Ichi (Female Ninja) is called Hayami Raienji.

"Greetings! Sessha (I) am Hayami. A White Class Shinobi."

"Oh-! The mercenary troop of ninjas. The White Class... I'm Ryle, from Lavas Ville."

Is the color important? I have no idea about Ninja-lore. Anyway, say hello to Hayami! I have a whole lot of things to say about her, but it's probably best to bring them up as they happen. For starters, she has that verbal tick of saying "Sessha" instead of "I" or "me". Every single loving time. I'm not going to change that. It'll probably drive me nuts to type this word a thousand times, but we're all in this together. :)

Obviously, Hayami is a ninja and she's pretty good at her job. Aside from being good in combat, she has several skills that I'll describe in a bit. Her character isn't that special or outrageous in comparison - she's actually quite likeable. But here's the catch: she is the most sexualized girl in the game. This will get more obvious during this update, but let me just say that it's canon that she has the biggest boobs in the game. Her sprite even has jiggly physics in certain situations. Which is impressive from a technical standpoint, but still greasy. The internet told me that the proper term for that is "Gainaxing". Don't Google that if you value a clean history. It's the Anime word for big titties that move in different directions...Yeah. Still, I'm cool with Hayami and she will follow us for the next part of the game.

"Ryle!?"

She also seems to know something.. :raise:

"?? Is something wrong?"

"Umm..no, it's nothing. Actually sessha have a favor to ask you."

"What? Forget it if it's hiring you. I don't have any mission for you, nor the gold to pay you."

"No, not at all. Sessha just want to use your boat to reach eastern continent."

How does she even know about our cool log-boat?

"!! ...To the east?!"

"Sorry, but I can't!"

We just came from the east, jfyi.

"Looks like you have your own reason not to, but sessha really need your help. Would you reconsider?"

"......."

"Then how about this? In exchange for my boat, you help me reach the western continent."

"Makoto de gozaru? (Really?) Sessha am glad to be in your service."

"But, can ninja join the party with NO official contract?"

"Please do not worry. Sessha will handle the matter."

"...Then, sessha will accompany you, Ryle Dono (sir), until we reach the western shore."

:toot:

Let's take a look at her.

As you can see, while she's being on a lower level than Ryle, she already has nearly as much MP as he has. She isn't going to become beefy, but is fast and can spam her excellent skills.

Speaking of..

Her combat skills are elemental group attacks that are strong and cheap to cast. But she also has some special skills. That trap skill will get used in the next update, so let's skip it for now. However, the awfully spelled Alchemistry skill allows her to whip up potions. I think it's just a straight 50/50 shot if she will fail or create a potion.

This is her ninja potion. Useful if you run out of other items, I guess?

But she also has a small chance to create a better type of potion.

"Sugoi! (Wow!) An increable discovery! A new kind of potion is invented!"

This skill is kind of a neat idea, but it's not really worth your time. Items are pretty cheap to buy and can be found everywhere. So why even bother?

Well, with her in our party, we can now leave the circular sea.

Or at least try, since our way is still blocked.

"Is there any way to break these rocks?"

"Sessha don't have enough strength to crush the rocks these big."

"The only solution is to look for the Iwa Kiri Maru."

"Iwa Kiri Maru? You mean the katana (Sword) which can cut through stones?"

"Rumor says that the katana belongs to a group of Shinobi, and it was hidden somewhere in Volcana. However, after the volcanoe nearby erupted, many town folks left along with the katana. They might have buried it outside the town."

I don't...what? Yeah, okay. Whatever!

"But how do we find it? There is no clue whatsoever."

"You can count on sessha.. Sessha's X-ray Vision will come in handy. If the rumor's right, we should find it on this island."

"WHO is she talking to...?"

Ninjas have magic eyes, right? This isn't just a ham-fisted way to introduce a game mechanic? Ah gently caress it...Nothing makes sense ever!

Casting it costs a few Mps and will scan the whole area that you can currently see. Blue arrows mark hidden items, red marks mechanical traps and yellow marks special items and magical traps. The distinction is important, since Hayami's trap skill only works on mechanical traps. The x-ray skill will see a fair amount of use in the next update, so I'll go into detail about traps when we're there. You can also use it to find some hidden items in the world. I surely don't know where all of them are, but I'll try to grab some.

Anyway, the sword isn't hard to find..

Let's cut those rocks! Also, prepare for a "thing"...

"Then here we GO!"

"....~"

"What's wrong?"

Yes, let's see what is wrong here. Her left side apparently had a stroke, which turned her hand into a hideous claw and trapped her face in an eternal squash. Also her boobs point upwards and in different directions. Geez. :magical:

"S-Sorry! Sessha can't stand straight while the boat is shaking~..Sessha didn't want to ask this, could you support Sessha?"

"Ah, Ok! I got it! Here, I am holding your waist! (Whoa! She got an increable body!)"

:mmmhmm:

"A-Ano...(Umm) Don't just grab sessha, please hold sessha tight!"

"(Oops!) Sorry! Is this alright?"

"Please stop moving around your hands, sessha can't concentrate..."

"...This time, sessha can do it!! Hoo..."

CUT!

"Whew!"

"Awesome...! What a sword..!"

"Ryle Dono! The rocks are totally.."

"Ahh.."

"What is it? Hayami."

"Ano..You can let go of sessha now?"

"S-SORRY!!" *both hands off*

"It's..It's alright. Sessha do not mind at all."

Here we go...

"Oh, mm... Let's head toward west!"

"By the way, Ryle Dono? You interested in "those" things?"

What, like cutting rocks? Yeah, that's cool I guess but...Oh..Oooh!

"Wha...What are you talking about?

"When sessha was X-raying back then, sessha saw "woman pictures" among your belongings...?"

Haha, remember that porno mag that I stole in the beginning?

"You nauty boy~ *chuckles*"

But she's totally cool with it! And you even get an extra attraction point for having the mag. High-five for porn! :respek:

Att 11 >>> 14

Take this as a hint to Hayami being a bit slutty. There are a few pits on the way, but for the most part she's pretty casual about it. Instead of right in your face like you'd expect Anime girls to be. So it may not be as bad as I make it sound. :v:

So, now the way to the western continent is open.

And you really can't go anywhere else, again.

"Ano...Ryle Dono...Can sessha join you?"

"Huh?"

"Even though sessha crushed rocks, sessha can't just take your boat...And..."

"And?"

"Sessha sense the danger around here, you'll need a local guide."

She certainly seems eager to stick with Ryle..

"But what about your mission?"

"Once sessha have the boat, the rest of schedule becomes very flexable."

"(And there's something to CHECK...)"

:tinfoil:

"You are right. I really need your help since it's my first time here."

"Indeed? Then..Sessha will be in your service again."

"I feel like there's some hidden meaning to this?..."

Haha, now what would make you say that?

Let's end the update here, due to pacing. But don't worry, the next part is ready and I'll post it in a day or so.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 29, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Did you add the translations in parentheses (e.g. katana (sword)) or is the translation just that magical?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Did you add the translations in parentheses (e.g. katana (sword)) or is the translation just that magical?
It is the most magical translation you'll ever see. And I'm already cutting a lot of the repetition. Hayami brings a whole truck-load of parentheses with her. :suicide:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is like taking every ecchi anime trope ever and injecting it into Sessha's eyeballs. Sessha thinks this is gonna drive Sessha mad by the end of the next update.

Were kuno-ichi an actual thing? I don't know much about real life ninjas to be honest.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sessha wishes we had Caris back, she was cool.

Cooking Magpie
Jul 25, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

This is like taking every ecchi anime trope ever and injecting it into Sessha's eyeballs. Sessha thinks this is gonna drive Sessha mad by the end of the next update.

Were kuno-ichi an actual thing? I don't know much about real life ninjas to be honest.

I'm sure they were actually real. Why bother only using men when nobody back then suspected a woman to have a knife up their sleeve.

I hope we get rid of Hayami soon, I am not liking that verbal tic.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Every time I see a deliberately untranslated Japanese word I feel a stong desire to drink bleach mixed with whiskey.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

David D. Davidson posted:

Every time I see a deliberately untranslated Japanese word I feel a stong desire to drink bleach mixed with whiskey.

My guess is that whoever :airquote: "Translated" :airquote: the game is indeed a native english speaker, but did stuff like that because they think Japanese is "Sugoi". (TRANSLATORS NOTE: Sugoi means cool)

The man called M fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 2, 2013

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SSNeoman posted:

The historical ninja were mercenary spies, covert operatives, and soldiers from the Iga and Koga provinces, which during the lengthy civil war known as the Sengoku Jidai essentially established themselves as autonomous peasant republics. The Koga clans allied with the eventual re-unifiers of Japan and became a semi-official secret service for a few decades, while the Iga clans were destroyed and dispersed. There were several social roles that enabled women to move freely and without suspicion, so it seems likely that women historically served in the covert role, and women in pre-Tokugawa Japan historically fought in numbers large enough for vocabulary to spring up about it, so presumably some women fought as frontline ninja (e.g. scouts/special forces) as well.

The famous black ninja costume is a theatrical innovation, and I believe that the other standard one (as seen on display here) may also be a theatrical innovation, with the fishnets meant to suggest the concealed chain armor under everyday clothes that historical ninja probably wore.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ironically you don't even use 'I' in Japanese as much so she only actually says 'sessha' (across this update) about 7 times.

Version change for the day - the volcano got moved, maybe to make the erupting volcano story more plausible. Also the NG scene is a different question show with Orubia, though maybe they've just been reordered.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cooking Magpie posted:

I hope we get rid of Hayami soon, I am not liking that verbal tic.
Yeah, it's really annoying. I got sick of writing that word pretty fast.

Polsy posted:

Ironically you don't even use 'I' in Japanese as much so she only actually says 'sessha' (across this update) about 7 times.
I think I want to play that version instead! :)

Here's the deal, Hayami is honestly one of the better characters and has a good deal of story behind her. Some of which can only be discovered in her ending. I'd like it if you gave her a chance, so to speak. If you guys really hate her Sessha deal that much, I'd be willing to cut it from my transcription. Even more so since other Ninja people do that thing too.(Omg, spoilers!) If it's more comfortable for everyone, I'm down. I surely won't miss typing that word a bazillion times.

alcharagia posted:

Sessha wishes we had Caris back, she was cool.
Choice time will come around in the update after the next one.

This is an informative Lp now. Be ready for regular pop quizzes. :v:

Also, I like this version of Ryle's boat. It seems so much more genuine.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 2, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tin Tim posted:

Here's the deal, Hayami is honestly one of the better characters and has a good deal of story behind her. Some of which can only be discovered in her ending. I'd like it if you gave her a chance, so to speak. If you guys really hate her Sessha deal that much, I'd be willing to cut it from my transcription. Even more so since other Ninja people do that thing too.(Omg, spoilers!) If it's more comfortable for everyone, I'm down. I surely won't miss typing that word a bazillion times.

Yes, cut out Sessha, from everyone. It really is that bad.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Yes, cut out Sessha, from everyone. It really is that bad.

Honestly, it only bothers me because the conjugations around it are wrong. It's a pretty standard annoying anime trope to have a character speak in third person, but she's using first person so everything she says sound like "Ugg am ninja. Ugg am best at wordtalk in whole village."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Honestly, it only bothers me because the conjugations around it are wrong. It's a pretty standard annoying anime trope to have a character speak in third person, but she's using first person so everything she says sound like "Ugg am ninja. Ugg am best at wordtalk in whole village."

See, if she spoke like in your example, she would be my favorite character. Caveninja away!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Effectronica posted:

The famous black ninja costume is a theatrical innovation, and I believe that the other standard one (as seen on display here) may also be a theatrical innovation, with the fishnets meant to suggest the concealed chain armor under everyday clothes that historical ninja probably wore.

If I remember correctly, the ninja outfit everyone knows about was a 'theatrical innovation' also in the sense that it was the garb of stagehands at the time, and since the roles of a ninja involved being as unobtrusive as possible, the outfit of the stagehand became the outfit of the ninja in theater as a bit of meta-humor. Much more likely, the wear of a historical ninja would be that of an unobtrusive position, such as a gardener (a job which also had the perk of having a reason to carry sharp objects around a secure area).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The issue is that Japanese doesn't have different pronouns for subjects and objects, so dumping them into English sentences makes it sound like caveman speech. Any translator who knows where to wear his pants would realize that inserting Japanese pronouns as-is into English is idiotic, but honestly I don't know where to set the bar for this guy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keep the sessha Tin Tim. It's what we are here for. I Sessha thinks that removing it will make the game lose a little bit of something.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Keep it for now.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You should wait until it really wears out it's welcome before switching.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
If we weren't into pain, we wouldn't be following this LP, so sessha thinks "sessha" should stay...for now.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Yeah, as annoying as it is (and a lot of that for me is the inconsistent conjugation), meesa sessha I think you should keep it for now.

I have to say, though, I'm kind of glad now that I wasn't able to get this working when I decided to give it a shot back around the first update. It's just a little too ~anime~ for me to deal with without an intermediary.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:magical:

This game has the best worst translation.

Keep every single Sessha. If you must suffer so should we.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Good lord, how did somebody translate this game with such a tenuous grasp on his own native language?

You know a game is Just Too Anime when you know exactly what's going to happen in every scene as it sets up.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Keep it, of course! Making things less awkward would be going against the spirit of the game.

On that note though, does the word "sessha" even work in Japanese? I have this notion that it's a Ye Olde kinda thing. Would it stick out as much in modern Japanese as thee and thou in modern English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, it pretty much works in the same way thee and thou do - it's legitimate ye olde speak but nobody uses it outside of historical/fantasy settings.

• Locked thread