Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Uh, did she? More than a couple of fables or stories?

Yeah, and we certainly prayed to him. Largely fables or stories, but the truth is that was what we knew of Asherah as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I want to ask Jalitha if there people are part sky giant, due to there size.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hahah, I've been joking about it in IRC the last few updates but been half-serious, but we totally are nephilim. They are talking about a "child of El" now, and we were never promised to be a mortal, just in the mortal world.

The people we're going with are also MASSIVE and makes me think all of them have a bit of sky giant in them.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Say:

El is the leader of the sky-giants, king and father of them all, who rules the world. His spear is Smattas, whom thunders when he fights. Another is Maranal, who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals the sick. Labaras was a giant of the land, who founded the Big Village Baitel; his children founded other places, such as Zepath.

The giants never fight, for they all serve El. They may trick one another, but never truly engage in conflict. The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

When in danger, ask El to save you, and he shall.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 29, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

^
These dudes being completely unhurt after the lightning is suggestive that El is pretty real.

Tudhalias posted:

Possibly out of an 11-year-old's reach, but in our head, it should sound like this:

El, all-knowing, seeing all
El, All-father, towering tall,
Tall from heaven, giants' home
O'er the land his giants roam
Roam and seek what is not right
Seek and smite with righteous might!
Smattas smites and thunder throws!
From firm Labaras Baitel grows!
Monsters lurk around us, hid,
So upon our knees we bid:
Aid us El! All-seeing king!
Save us from the harm that rings
Us round and round, O Sky Giants, hear!
Find us in our hour drear!
Find and aid as El would will!
From atop your heav'nly hill!
Aid us all, as El would will!

Voting this in addition to what I said. Give this first, then give the more plain-text explanation. Even if translation fucks poo poo up, it'll still impress Jalitha.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Pretty much what the Turtle said. The other votes can't be serious; we're not going to launch into a pious and eloquent sermon on the merits of the great saviour El, straight out of someone's prayer-book, while simultaneously renouncing everything we've known and fully believed in previously, as a young kid who's just been ripped violently out of familiarity and security. I cannot believe that's a serious suggestion, and as cool as the little poem is, do we really have the capacity or talent, nevermind the current clarity of mind and composure, to start making up entreating poems on the fly? Maybe if it's an established poem, that Jalitha's taught us, that we can maybe stammer out shakily half-remembered, sure, but come on, when did we switch from 'traumatized kid, burgeoning priest of Asherah' to loving Rudyard Kipling?

Yeesh, tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea. Say he must be pretty important, otherwise Asherah wouldn't have let him manage the life that Asherah spawned upon the land that he brought forth from the ocean.

Keep in mind we have no reason to doubt what we've 'learned' of Asherah; whatever we think of El we must have someone reconciled it in our head with what we 'know' of Asherah.

We just saw a high priest of Asherah completely impotent before the power of followers of El. He threw lightning, and all it did was temporarily disable two dudes.

gently caress Asherah is what I'd be thinking in this situation, he's a dick anyway. Gonna go worship El.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HBar posted:

Voting for the Tudhalias Edda, including the bit about Marnal.

Yeah I like the changes.

If we want justification for it, we created this rhyme to more easily remember the stuff about a god we decided to worship, and we're just using that to fall back on in a traumatic moment. As mentioned earlier, we are an oral culture, so it makes sense we'd do something like that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sogol posted:

We have also assumed that we are going to speak directly to the 'king' (who is wandering around in the wilderness with a couple of men and some donkeys?). Another way we could go is just play poo poo back to Jalitha and who the gently caress knows what she will say, but likely in our favor, from her point of view at least.

No we haven't, Tudiya is explicitly called the king. He claims he was given wanderlust by El for some reason, and believes it was to find and rescue us.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sogol posted:

Heck if we know this, we can just end the whole conversation by saying that we imagine he holds allegiance to Labberas and asking if that is why he is so large... Or ask if he received aid for El or Labberas today... Or something along these lines, rather than catechism.

That's kind of why I asked if they are related to sky giants.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

To clarify my vote, I'm in support of my plan and would like the poem added on, but don't see it as necessary. I just want an explanation that isn't filled with sass; I truly don't care whether we mention the demon thing I put in there or not.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Rahul posted:

I've gotta say dio, you've got your work cut out for you with this next update. I think this must be the messiest voting round we've had yet.
Have any of the vote counters attempted to piece together where the various options are currently standing?

Looking at the spreadsheet here, right now the various non-provocative messages are winning but Maxhush has a strong plurality. No idea how he'd interpret this considering several of the votes have the same message but in different packages.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Have 'we already decided he's descended from El'? Has the kid? We might think it, as players, but has the character put those together yet, that this guy is tall, therefore he must be a Sky Giant or its kin? I doubt it. And if that scrap of evidence is enough to go by, then why dismiss the sensibility of Maxhush's plan, saying that the kid knows lightning=El, dad shot lightning, therefore...?

I don't think calling a plan that the GM has said has the potential to lead to some pretty negative results is really sensible, to be honest. That's why there is a negative reaction to it more than anything; prior to that, it didn't have very many people really disliking it, they just preferred other stuff.

Also, my suggestion (minus the demon part) I'd argue is absolutely the most in character. We are eleven, we memorize stories all the time. We are shocked by these events and just want to sleep, so we just string together what we know of El and leave it at that. The poem even makes sense if we consider it a memory aid we created while swimming in the ocean rather than something devised on the spot.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 29, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Option Maxhush is the closest thing to what a tramatized 11 year old would actually do here. He wouldn't try to do some epic poem out of nowhere or some bullshit. He wouldn't suck up to the people who just killed his loving father--- sure, we and dad weren't on the best of terms, but he was still dad. He'd answer the question he was just asked, and be petulent about it.

No, a traumatized eleven year old would actually just repeat what he's been told in the past, not really knowing what to say or do. Or just zone out all of this.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A

I kind of wanted us to keep the hair, but I have a theory here. When we heard the voice in the sea, it came after our hair was cut. I think the hair somehow prevents us from hearing the voice of El/sky-giants.

Besides, the power Tudiya displayed there is interesting, and I think keeping him happy will lead to good things for us in terms of doing much of anything down the line.

edit: Also ask mother what was up with understanding the king right there.

e2: Vote changed.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 30, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

You ask.

"What do you mean, Sweetling?" she says in response.

Say at one point, but one point only, we understood the king as if he were speaking our tongue or we knew his.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ask her if the sea is far from where we are going.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah,

Changed from A.

edit: Also, will we be near the sea where we are going? Asking Jalitha.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

2+

We need to learn the language and become acquainted with how we sometimes understand the king. Personally, I think he occasionally speaks in the angelic tongue, and its incorporated into there language. If we are, in fact, nephilim we might understand such a language.

Also, had a rough day. Let's have fun with the kid and try to forget this poo poo. Let's also spend a lot of time with mom because poo poo is hosed and weird.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

No, don't ask that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Klingtron posted:

Changing my vote to Barkof

Yeah, why not. Barkof it is.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

If we name the dog Thegate, all we are going to do is hold him and get nothing done.

I don't get the name Barkof. Is this a reference to the reporter?

There's a dude in the party named Barkof, and it has bark in it. I kind of like it actually, because it's something I'd see an eleven year old doing assuming they associate the barking sounds the kid is making with the first part of Barkof. Which is a big assumption, but meh, I'm fine with making it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

EVG posted:

Please, not beaky. Barky if you must, but not Beaky.

Barky is another good alternative.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

As far as J goes, I think it is probably a good idea to get to know the future king. Tudiya is a good man, and deserves our thanks. However, Danal is our future and will likely be someone that we journey with often.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Hey, we've got the tooth, but we're going to have to stay loyal to Asherah if we want the death lightning!

You mean mildly inconvenience lightning. :colbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Razage posted:

+

Fish god was a jerk, dad was a jerk, and all we did was collected sea shells by the seashore and we weren't even called suzy so they deserve no credit at all. El forever, hope he shows us how to use lasers or make enchanted swords or something.

I think you want A rather than H then, considering the most popular H options has us worshiping fish god whereas the A option has us praying to El and only El.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

andrew smash posted:

Either way, village history indicates Jalitha washed up on shore about a year before Og's birth.

Assuming that Shushem told the truth is kind of silly on this topic, considering the reveals we've had regarding parentage. He had every reason to lie about our birth, and no one had any real incentive to tell us anything considering everyone feared him. Jalitha, on the other hand, has seemingly told the truth about most everything. There are other indications beyond her word about the cannibalism, about her being our mother, and the truth of the big villages has been confirmed.

Basically, we pretty much know Jalitha hasn't lied about anything we can actually somewhat confirm. Similarly, we know Shushem wasn't entirely honest about our birth.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

He basically ignored us for the first four or five years until we were useful to him. Not exactly parenting but more of being his tool.

Also this. Shushem never really took the time or effort to create parental bonds. They only really began to develop when we began our apprenticeship to him, and I never felt they were very strong to begin with. Even when we voted to spend time with him it was very clear in updates that we did it out of duty to the village and fear. Prior to that we actively avoided him because we didn't particularly love him.

eta: Also, to people wondering why we didn't go with the Baitel start, because this start is demonstrably different to the Baitel start. For starters, we aren't going to Baitel. We will also occupy a completely different place in society, have a completely different back-story, and a different skill-set.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 4, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Again this isn't how parental bonds work and is applying 21st century morality to a primitive society. A distant, authoritarian father who largely ignores his child in his earliest years? That describes most fathers in pretty much every culture ever until the very, very recent past, and somehow people got by without resenting their dads for not being more nice to them. The idea that we wouldn't love our dad because he wasn't nice to us is a product of our modern culture where fathers are expected to share in the role of direct nurturer. Og would likely have no such expectation, especially considering the background we've been given in that in his society, husbands rule their wives and children as supreme authority. In that context there's nothing strange whatsoever about a father being stern and distant, it's just the way things are since he's in charge. Fear of our father is natural given Og's circumstances. Dislike or even antipathy is not.

Other villagers also reacted to Shushem's beating of Jalitha in shock too, so Shushem's treatment of her (and likely us) does not appear to be the cultural norm. We can also see the treatment other children had in the village at the hands of there fathers (and indeed we did, or it would not have been noted). No other children were treated like this, and some special exception to this being the prerogative of the high priest was never explained to us.

Basically, you're the one inserting how this culture does the parenting thing based on how Shushem treated us, when it is apparent Shushem did not treat us as other fathers treated there sons. That's bound to generate some type of reaction, and the type of reaction that it produces would differ from person to person. The fact is though, in story, love of our father has never been presented and our own character's reactions has only suggested it at one or two points (taking the tooth and taking more lessons).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

If we spent time with Pagam I'd have been all over C, but we have lovely forest skills.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

OhYo posted:

What do you know about El and his angels?

Updating my vote to pray to El for protection before going into the forest. In fact, Danal can have the spear if he wants.

If we go into the forest, we must pray to El, I agree.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Think about, for a forum anecdote, how many economically poor or otherwise disadvantaged people will stick fanatically to the Republican party, or how many homosexual people end up self-hating and adhering rigorously to church doctrines. And then note that a fanatical religious upbringing is exactly what we've had.

Changing religion or deciding that Asherah shouldn't be worshipped is one thing. Doing so immediately, without the slightest reservation, as a little traumatized child, is kind of absurd. Many people come to realize that their ideals and their life-situations don't match up, and reevaluate their beliefs, but it rarely happens quickly, quietly, or easily.

For what it's worth, a kid could just as easily decide to just do what everyone else is doing around him, because that is what they're doing and they don't want to get in trouble. That's if you need an in-character justification for this; Enkidel didn't want to get in trouble, so Enkidel prayed to El.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Not D,B,F

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Changing from Not F to Not I on the third option.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Raserys posted:

That was a Madgod. This is an 11-year old.

Our hair has also been cut, severing our connection to Asherah for all time or something like that.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Maybe El sent an Angel because it knew how important we are to Asherah, who spoke to us at a young age, because it knew how important we are to him/her. Maybe El knew how powerful a force we would be when combined with Asherah.

Maybe it wasn't Asherah speaking to us, but the importance of cutting hair is to allow angels or El to communicate with you in some manner. The slight hair cut we received allowed this for a brief period, thus how damned quiet the message was.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Perhaps we can do a mini-CYOA with your life while we wait. We get to choose what you do next.

A) Attempt to ford the flooding with your car
B) Swim for it
C) Find a similarly stranded stranger and sacrifice them to Ashera

C

D Ride a turtle out of there :smugbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I liked the non-god bothering options in general, but with the way the vote's gone this seems the best choice for me.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Changing vote from FF to

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

maxhush posted:

Any attempts to pursue Asherah related courses of action will be subject to filibuster by the El Party

Like the Asherah Party doesn't do the same thing, blocking our efforts to pursue healthcare for every mortal. Afraid of any new things, unwilling to pursue the scientifically proven paths of worship!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Health-care is fiiine, it's just viewed on a larger scale. The community is made healthier if the sick are devoured to keep from spreading.

And hey, they positively love new things, especially when they wash up on shore. Free source of children.

* And the ability to ignore spears through the chest and to shoot lightning from your hands when that normally doesn't happen seem like pretty hypothesis verifying results.

It's known any lesser demon can give those same benefits! Besides, how will you feed your children with Sith lightning?

Asherah Worship has also been linked to rising sea levels. Vote El for a better tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Rising sea levels just means more beach front property! Don't you like beaches!?

Serious-talk: curious for the "anti-turning-to-gods" crowd, why no votes for Not-J Not-I? Instead of just Not-J x2?

Because I think praying to El, at worst, fizzles but praying to Asherah has the potential to destroy our ability to actually do anything cool in the future. Unless we go the Asherah cult in Zepath idea, which seems terrible in its own way.

I don't necessarily think it'll happen, but praying to Asherah seems the type of thing that could render us basically unable to use divine powers of El in the future. And Asherah's powers, so far, have basically been the most generic (and not particularly powerful) thing out there.

eta: Also, we're probably not far from camp and praying to Asherah when Barkof or Tudiyah can walk up on us and find us seems all kinds of terrible idea. For a god I find to be boring (El, similarly, is boring but at least may give the cooler powers).