Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

J.A.B.C. posted:

I did that twice so far. And by the end of the day I can't touch anything on the desktop without the computer freezing. Even if I don't install antivirus or other programs.

And now I can't get Windows 7 loaded. Should I send it back to Lenovo and use the Warranty?
Plenty of people have managed to do exactly what you're trying to do without issue--something is clearly messed up here. You didn't swap any hardware (new SSD, HDD, RAM, etc) did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007
Is this a two-bagger I see before me?
I have a budget of $2000 so I have a lot of options. I guess that's kind of the problem.

I realize that I could assemble a pretty beefy desktop with that amount but I need the mobility a laptop gives me due to the fact that I'm a consultant and have no permanent office space. I don't mind if it's heavy or big. I would just need to port it from my home to wherever I'm working that day and then back again. I'm a software developer, so I'd need a windows machine that would be able to run Visual Studio as well as Virtual Test Machine (or two).

I am a gamer, though, and I want to be able to play the next Bethesda or Bioware RPG when it gets released.

I previously owned an ASUS-K53E and was pretty happy with it until it developed an overheating problem and became unstable. The problem with it was that there was no way to clean out that sucker without completely disassembling it.

So my question to you is, what would you buy as a dev/gaming laptop, given the budget?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
While your requirements do allow for a lot of options, you can narrow things down by picking a few preferences, first:

What size? 14" 15.6" 17"? Preferred resolution (don't say 1366x768)? A lot of that should hinge on how much actual space you need for your work, and whether or not you can plan on plugging in to external monitors. Similarly, do you need any particular connection options (HDMI? DisplayPort?)? Do you want/need a numpad?

The K53E was a pretty unimpressive machine, what with its 1366x768 screen and Intel GMA HD "graphics." For even $1000, you should be able to get yourself something with a decent 1080p screen and moderate dGPU, especially if weight and battery life are immaterial for you.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'll probably just stick with the Win7 Disk I just bought instead of buying a new Win8 Disk. Unless there's a way to fresh install it without spending that money.

Just got done with the recovery again.

Search for an msdn version of win8, verify its hash against the version on msdn and make a bootable disc/usb. When you go to install, it will use the win8 key in your bios (but maybe grab that before hand and write it down just in case).

You own win8, this isn't :filez: or anything.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Something about the pressure in my bag has left a mark on my c720 screen from what appears to be the keyboard. I tried a sleeve but it didn't seem to help. Is there a better solution besides buying a couple of those microfiber clothes for lens cleaning and layering them on the keyboard before I close the lid?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Virtue posted:

Something about the pressure in my bag has left a mark on my c720 screen from what appears to be the keyboard. I tried a sleeve but it didn't seem to help. Is there a better solution besides buying a couple of those microfiber clothes for lens cleaning and layering them on the keyboard before I close the lid?

Put the laptop in a pocket near your back, and wear your pack normally. If it's a messenger bag, you should place it in the compartment furthest from your body.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Virtue posted:

Either get a bag that's purpose-made for laptops, or just toss a microfiber cloth in there (you should only need one). And/or stop stuffing your bag that full.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I've been looking for a laptop or netbook to take notes/type up papers with for class and do simple browsing stuff like Khan academy, and I totally forgot that I had a HP Pavilion dv6000 sitting in my closet for the last 5 years. I just tested it out, and everything works fine except the (original) battery only lasts for about 45 minutes in power save mode with continual use.

I see I can pick up a brand new, largest size battery for it for about $50 here http://www.laptopbatterylife.com/12...CFdBqfgodZwoALw for cheap on Amazon.

Would this be a good idea, or would buying new parts for an 8 year old computer be silly?. Should I worry about other parts aging poorly, or should I expect it to run fine with a shiny new battery?

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 25, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If it still does what you want it to, and everything else seems to work, and you don't feel inclined to spend the several hundred dollars any replacement device would cost, then sure, why not?

The only part I'd be worried about "aging poorly" would be the HDD, if it's been abused (bumped around a lot)--and even then that's more a question of how hard it's been used, rather than just "sat on a shelf for years". There are a variety of free tools you can download to check up on that, though, and as long as the drive passes the tests I wouldn't be worried about it. That said, always keep backups of your documents--on the cloud, on another drive or flash card, etc. Just in case.

All that said, the dv6000 wasn't particularly good even when it was released--that it's restricted to 32b programs and OSs may or may not be a problem if you want to use it for much of anything. It's processing power is roughly equivalent to what you can get in a $300 netbook these days (many of which have better screens, too). Up to you if it's worth the money, but even a $300 budget would get you either a new netbook or a nice used laptop a generation or so old that would walk all over that HP--3kg? Hell no!

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Hello thread,

I have a friend who is looking to buy a laptop for grad school and asked me to help out. Not wanting to steer them wrong, I came to you!

The school will pay for up to $1500 but I don't think she feels comfortable maxing out the budget, so let's say ~750. It would be for work (organic chemist, so nothing too resource intensive) and internet surfing/whatever. Essentially, I'm trying to recommend something that will be able to 1. take a beating 2. have good enough build quality to last through getting a PhD (5-6 years) 3. be relatively small ( <16" screen, ideally 14").

Could someone help me out? I have been browsing on newegg but I have very little hands on experience with quality laptops. I know Vaio are usually built well but marked up and beyond that ??? If you need any more clarification let me know. Thanks :)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
(1) If it's not her money, rack that bitch up to $1500. Speaking from a long line of institutional experience here, they'll get their pound of flesh out of her, she might as well take full advantage of anything they offer. You don't have to have it gold-plated or anything just to waste money, but very reasonable upgrades like a SSD, 1080p IPS screen, a good WiFi card, can all quickly push the price over $1k.

(2) With (1) in mind, she might do well to look at some of the ThinkPad series. They're reasonably light and well-sized, will have good performance (while not crazy-powerful, you might be surprised what sort of horsepower some chem-modeling programs can take), and are one of the more durable lineups you can get. The Elitebooks are also worth a look. I would stay away from Vaio right now since Sony already has a reputation for terrible driver support, and now they're selling the brand, which probably won't mean anything good for future support.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

DrDork posted:

If it still does what you want it to, and everything else seems to work, and you don't feel inclined to spend the several hundred dollars any replacement device would cost, then sure, why not?

The only part I'd be worried about "aging poorly" would be the HDD, if it's been abused (bumped around a lot)--and even then that's more a question of how hard it's been used, rather than just "sat on a shelf for years". There are a variety of free tools you can download to check up on that, though, and as long as the drive passes the tests I wouldn't be worried about it. That said, always keep backups of your documents--on the cloud, on another drive or flash card, etc. Just in case.

All that said, the dv6000 wasn't particularly good even when it was released--that it's restricted to 32b programs and OSs may or may not be a problem if you want to use it for much of anything. It's processing power is roughly equivalent to what you can get in a $300 netbook these days (many of which have better screens, too). Up to you if it's worth the money, but even a $300 budget would get you either a new netbook or a nice used laptop a generation or so old that would walk all over that HP--3kg? Hell no!

Thanks. It looks like amazon has new batteries for my laptop that are double the stock capacity for around ~$20. I guess I will see how that pans out, and then look into something new if it doesn't last through the school day.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Uranium 235 posted:

My dad keeps breaking his laptops, probably because he's a conductor on freight trains and he carries his laptop in a backpack, and it's not so easy to be gentle with his stuff. He really just uses his laptop to browse the web while he's in his hotel room. He also doesn't want to spend more than $500-600. Should I just point him to Best Buy to get another flimsy laptop? I don't know what else he can buy with that kind of money--I don't think that price point buys durability.

He's also open to tablets, though he says he'd miss having a keyboard. Maybe if he got a durable case, the tablets would fare better.

Any ideas? I'm kind of at a loss because his budget doesn't leave much room for anything, and I don't know the tablet market at all.

He wants to stick with Windows, so that further narrows things down.

BTW it's the screens that keep getting the poo poo end of the stick.

Last time I looked there were some really good Panasonic CF-C1's for sale on eBay, like, for $150-350. This included both Sandy Bridge models and the preceding generation. But now that I look, they seem to have been snapped up, which isn't surprising. There's still a refurb sitting at around $430. That's a far better choice than getting yet another flimsy laptop, I'd say.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Search for an msdn version of win8, verify its hash against the version on msdn and make a bootable disc/usb. When you go to install, it will use the win8 key in your bios (but maybe grab that before hand and write it down just in case).

You own win8, this isn't :filez: or anything.

Doing this, currently on the phone with Lenovo to get my product key. And so far I've been bounced around departments because they don't keep a record of it, from what I've been told.

And, no, the key isn't on a sticker on my computer, and key finder programs won't find it or find a non-working version because it's an OEM license. So Microsoft Support suggested I call Lenovo.

EDIT: Found out where my product key is. Directly embedded on the motherboard. With no apparent copies of the number. And I don't trust my own middling knowledge of computers enough to open this thing up and find out where it is for a clean install using the Windows service.

Though they did offer to send me a recovery cd for $20 bucks, because OneKey Recovery has a problem with corrupted files from time to time. So, that might be my issue.

Going to try the Win7 Disc again tomorrow, see if I can format then install my computer with it.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 25, 2014

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

While your requirements do allow for a lot of options, you can narrow things down by picking a few preferences, first:

What size? 14" 15.6" 17"? Preferred resolution (don't say 1366x768)? A lot of that should hinge on how much actual space you need for your work, and whether or not you can plan on plugging in to external monitors. Similarly, do you need any particular connection options (HDMI? DisplayPort?)? Do you want/need a numpad?

The K53E was a pretty unimpressive machine, what with its 1366x768 screen and Intel GMA HD "graphics." For even $1000, you should be able to get yourself something with a decent 1080p screen and moderate dGPU, especially if weight and battery life are immaterial for you.

Hey, thanks for the quick response, drdork! My previous computer was actually a ASUS K53TA.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K53TA/

DrDork posted:

What size? 14" 15.6" 17"?

15.6" minimum. I'd prefer 17" but it's not a sore point.

DrDork posted:

Preferred resolution (don't say 1366x768)?

An IPS display would be good. I'd definitely prefer that. So maybe 1,920 x 1,080 resolution?

DrDork posted:

External Monitors?

I have one at home but not at work, so I would prefer an external monitor connection.

DrDork posted:

Similarly, do you need any particular connection options (HDMI? DisplayPort?)?

I would like USB and HDMI connections in addition to the external monitor connection. I think a headphone jack is standard now, right?

DrDork posted:

Do you want/need a numpad?

I do want a numpad. I'd also like a backlit keyboard if possible.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

J.A.B.C. posted:

I don't specifically need it, as the couple hours I had Classic Shell working were fairly easy to use. Removing the shovelware is a different beast entirely.

I'll give them a call tonight, then. Thanks for the advice over the past couple of days.

Revo Uninstalled Pro, thirty day free trial no information required. After it uninstalls a program, it scans for any leftover traces in the program files and in the registry.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Doing this, currently on the phone with Lenovo to get my product key. And so far I've been bounced around departments because they don't keep a record of it, from what I've been told.

And, no, the key isn't on a sticker on my computer, and key finder programs won't find it or find a non-working version because it's an OEM license. So Microsoft Support suggested I call Lenovo.

EDIT: Found out where my product key is. Directly embedded on the motherboard. With no apparent copies of the number. And I don't trust my own middling knowledge of computers enough to open this thing up and find out where it is for a clean install using the Windows service.

Though they did offer to send me a recovery cd for $20 bucks, because OneKey Recovery has a problem with corrupted files from time to time. So, that might be my issue.

Going to try the Win7 Disc again tomorrow, see if I can format then install my computer with it.

Ok I don't know if you mean physically open or what, but here's how you get the windows 8 bios embedded key:

Download this: http://rweverything.com/download/ (specific link depending on if you have 64/32 bit and if you want the installable or portable version, run the program, on the top bar the 12th button from the left should say "ACPI", click that, go do the "MSDM" tab, scroll down and the bottom row (should say DATA) is your key.

As for when you had classic shell working, did you install classic shell and then upgrade to 8.1? Cuz that breaks it I think, so do the 8.1 upgrade first.

You should return Windows 7 if you still can, Windows 8 is better, by far, even if it's not immediately obvious.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
In my quest to find a budget laptop I now have the following on my list:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3ER2WQ2S6K9WI

At my budget this is what I have got to work with unless I go AMD and take a pretty big hit CPU performance wise. Or go Ivy Bridge and be cutting it very fine indeed on the iGPU side of things. Nether of which would give me a huge advantage in terms of better options in terms of screen/build quality at my budget anyway.

Anyone able to help narrow this shortlist down further or offer similar options I may have overlooked ?

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Chernori posted:

MUST BE: small, will be carrying all over SE Asia (I'm used to netbooks)
PREFER: long battery life, windows, big HD (I have A LOT of photos)
WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO: open lots of tabs in Chrome, edit photos, play light games (Civ 5 would be nice), maybe watch HD videos?
BUDGET: preferably less than $1000, but I'm flexible if there's a must-get above that point

Sorry to ask about this again, but my current netbook (Toshiba NB555D-01R) now shuts off erratically when it's not plugged in (battery's dying), so I'd like to get it replaced ASAP.

Anyone have a suggestion for a small laptop/netbook that matches the above requirements?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Brut posted:

Ok I don't know if you mean physically open or what, but here's how you get the windows 8 bios embedded key:

Download this: http://rweverything.com/download/ (specific link depending on if you have 64/32 bit and if you want the installable or portable version, run the program, on the top bar the 12th button from the left should say "ACPI", click that, go do the "MSDM" tab, scroll down and the bottom row (should say DATA) is your key.

As for when you had classic shell working, did you install classic shell and then upgrade to 8.1? Cuz that breaks it I think, so do the 8.1 upgrade first.

You should return Windows 7 if you still can, Windows 8 is better, by far, even if it's not immediately obvious.

"this key cannot be used to activate a personal copy of Windows 8."

Still, at least you helped me out more than support did. Thanks for that help. Back on my old computer as it froze while I was writing this.

Well, now I have three options concerning my computer: Call up Lenovo and call in my warranty, Call up Lenovo and get their OneKey Recovery CD for $20, or install my copy of Windows 7 and void my warranty, as Support told me it would.

I'm probably going to call in my warranty, as that's the best advice I've received from this thread so far. My case is just one of those really weird ones, it seems.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Death Hamster posted:

I have a budget of $2000 so I have a lot of options. I guess that's kind of the problem.

I realize that I could assemble a pretty beefy desktop with that amount but I need the mobility a laptop gives me due to the fact that I'm a consultant and have no permanent office space. I don't mind if it's heavy or big. I would just need to port it from my home to wherever I'm working that day and then back again. I'm a software developer, so I'd need a windows machine that would be able to run Visual Studio as well as Virtual Test Machine (or two).

I am a gamer, though, and I want to be able to play the next Bethesda or Bioware RPG when it gets released.

I previously owned an ASUS-K53E and was pretty happy with it until it developed an overheating problem and became unstable. The problem with it was that there was no way to clean out that sucker without completely disassembling it.

So my question to you is, what would you buy as a dev/gaming laptop, given the budget?

For that kind of money you can afford to go big and get a pretty no-compromises laptop. Dell precision M3800 (thin and light 15", 37w quad core i7, fantastic IPS screen, ~gt750 level quadro card), M4800 (Same screen, thicker chassis for higher power CPU and GPU options, at the cost of losing Nvidia Optimus- Not that this sounds like a serious downside for your use case), or all the way up to the 17" M6800. That one will probably even run out of your price range though, if loaded to the gills.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

J.A.B.C. posted:

"this key cannot be used to activate a personal copy of Windows 8."

Still, at least you helped me out more than support did. Thanks for that help. Back on my old computer as it froze while I was writing this.

Well, now I have three options concerning my computer: Call up Lenovo and call in my warranty, Call up Lenovo and get their OneKey Recovery CD for $20, or install my copy of Windows 7 and void my warranty, as Support told me it would.

I'm probably going to call in my warranty, as that's the best advice I've received from this thread so far. My case is just one of those really weird ones, it seems.

They lied, installing a different OS in no way voids a thinkpad's warranty. That would be utterly insane, when every single business user ever slaps their own image on a new machine first thing. What model did you have again?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Gwaihir posted:

They lied, installing a different OS in no way voids a thinkpad's warranty. That would be utterly insane, when every single business user ever slaps their own image on a new machine first thing. What model did you have again?
It's not a ThinkPad.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Hey there goons! I have my new Lenovo y410p, and some questions to go along with it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

My dad keeps breaking his laptops, probably because he's a conductor on freight trains and he carries his laptop in a backpack, and it's not so easy to be gentle with his stuff. He really just uses his laptop to browse the web while he's in his hotel room. He also doesn't want to spend more than $500-600. Should I just point him to Best Buy to get another flimsy laptop? I don't know what else he can buy with that kind of money--I don't think that price point buys durability.

He's also open to tablets, though he says he'd miss having a keyboard. Maybe if he got a durable case, the tablets would fare better.

Any ideas? I'm kind of at a loss because his budget doesn't leave much room for anything, and I don't know the tablet market at all.

He wants to stick with Windows, so that further narrows things down.

BTW it's the screens that keep getting the poo poo end of the stick.
Quoting myself to put my post in context.

My dad ruled out tablets for various reasons. I've been looking at laptops that are around $400 because he wants to get something as cheap as possible, and I figure that's around the bottom of the barrel for a half-decent laptop.

I'm looking at the Lenovo Z510 ($360 B&N) for him, the lowest priced configuration. 15.6", 1366x768, Intel Celeron 2950M 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD. I think that's enough for him. The processor is on the low end of the Haswell generation and I don't think he can do any better for under $400.

Thoughts?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Oh, welp. Good luck!

Uranium 235 posted:

My dad ruled out tablets for various reasons. I've been looking at laptops that are around $400 because he wants to get something as cheap as possible, and I figure that's around the bottom of the barrel for a half-decent laptop.

I'm looking at the Lenovo Z510 ($360 B&N) for him, the lowest priced configuration. 15.6", 1366x768, Intel Celeron 2950M 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD. I think that's enough for him. The processor is on the low end of the Haswell generation and I don't think he can do any better for under $400.

Thoughts?

It's another cheap laptop that's just going to break again. :shrug: I mean, literally anything is going to be enough performance for parent machines, most folks here just spend the extra money for durability/warranties. It sucks that he doesn't want a tablet, because web browsing in a hotel room is basically the ideal use case for one, and you can get a lot better otterbox style protection for them compared to laptops.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
My Thinkpad T440p arrived yesterday. I actually had tracking on it from the time it left Hong Kong. It went from Hong Kong to South Korea to Alaska, and then to Kentucky before arriving at my door in Florida. After opening it, I immediately upgraded the ram to 16GB DDR3L and replaced the 500GB mechanical HDD with a 240GB Intel SSD. I like that you now just have to remove two screws, slide a panel off, and you have access to everything. That will make repairs and upgrades much easier. I then installed Windows 7 Pro, which went smoothly as the Lenovo site has a full set of 7 drivers for the T440p. 8 is a big pile of garbage, so being able to run 7 on a current gen laptop without issue is a huge plus for me.

First impressions are that it seems very well made and tankish just like the old Thinkpads, and that the 1080p IPS display is excellent. The resolution is high, but not blindingly so to where you'd have to turn it down like on some of the 3K displays laptops are shipping with these days. I don't think I would have been happy with the 3K displays on the Yoga 2 Pro or T540p for instance. I also really like the chiclet keyboard. In fact, I think it's one of the nicest laptop keyboards I've used, and would put it up there with the macbook keyboards and the keyboards on the older Thinkpads. Some of the more recent Thinkpads were having issues with keyboard flex due to flimsy backplates, but this one is nice and firm with no flex at all. The laptop runs cool and silent most of the time unless you're doing something intensive like playing a game, and even then the fans aren't loud. Battery life is very good. I have no idea what it is actually because I have yet to kill the battery, which is probably a good sign. I also like the square USB style connector they've gone to for the charger. It stays put in the back of the laptop. It no longer has a latch for the monitor, but the hinges are stiff and sturdy so I don't know if it matters.

The T440p is not thin or superlight like an ultrabook or mac, but it's also repairable. I'm not a fan of the current trend of building expensive laptops like cheap throwaways by soldering and gluing everything onto the motherboard. You're basically going to get hosed in the rear end in a couple of years when the battery invariably goes or you need to replace the hard drive, ram, or wifi card due to failure. With how powerful hardware has gotten, there's absolutely no reason a laptop shouldn't last you 5+ years, but ultrabooks and current macs are designed to keep you on a more frequent upgrade cycle and for no particularly good reason. T440p bucks that trend, which is good, but does so at the expense of thinness.

My only major complaint is with the clickpad. It's far from the worst touchpad I've ever used (and I've used some real stinkers), but it's still kind of crappy. The big problem with it is that if you press to click it has far too much travel, and ends up being obnoxiously loud and strenuous to use. It feels like pressing a key on the keyboard rather than clicking a mouse. Although if you just tap to click, it's fine, which is what I've been doing. Also the trackpoint is borderline unusable to the point where I'm not even sure why they still included it. I get the impression it's a feature that they're getting ready to do away with entirely. I'm not a trackpoint user, and haven't touched one of the things since the 1990's so that doesn't bother me. The touchpad could be worse. It could be like the Dell Latitude E4300 I was using previously where the touchpad liked to just completely stop working every few times you brought the computer back from sleep (and you had to completely reboot the machine to get it to work again), and often didn't register what you were trying to do even when it was working. This style of touchpad is salvageable. Lenovo just needs to give it a shallower click for the clickpad, and have discrete buttons for the trackpoint.

Overall I like the T440p and will be hanging onto it despite the wonky touchpad. It seems to be a well made and powerful machine.

Specs and benchmarks:

i7-4700MQ, 16GB Crucial DDR3-1600L, 1GB Geforce GT 730M, Intel 240GB SSD

Win 7 Experience Index:
Processor: 7.5
Memory: 7.7
Graphics: 6.8
Gaming graphics: 6.8
Primary Hard Disk: 7.9

3dMark11:
P1980
Graphics: 1797
Physics: 7422
Combined: 1482

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8027031

TLDR:
+ 1080p IPS display
+ Powerful hardware
+ Great keyboard
+ Good build quality
+ Actually repairable and upgradeable unlike macs or ultrabooks
+ Drivers for Windows 7
+ Cool, quiet, good battery life, pretty much what you'd expect from Haswell

-a bit thick and heavy by current standards
-wonky touchpad
-unusable trackpoint
-expensive

Overall: 7/10

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 25, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Uranium 235 posted:

Thoughts?

Personally I'd grab an off lease Elitebook - we run these at work and they're incredibly rugged for an non ruggedised system - while the casing get scuffed up they protect the internals very well indeed)

You should be able to pick up something with a first gen Core i for next to nothing (i.e. a 2540p [12"] or 8440p [14"])

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

dissss posted:

Personally I'd grab an off lease Elitebook - we run these at work and they're incredibly rugged for an non ruggedised system - while the casing get scuffed up they protect the internals very well indeed)

You should be able to pick up something with a first gen Core i for next to nothing (i.e. a 2540p [12"] or 8440p [14"])

I second this. Off-lease Thinkpads, Latitudes, and Elitebooks are a much better way to go if you're on a razor thin budget (<$400) than buying a new laptop from that price range.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is there any recourse for the sub par performance of the Intel 7260 single band wifi card?

I picked up a refurb Lenovo u530 from Microcenter last night and while I like the laptop a lot, the wifi performance is making me want to return it. I've tried rolling back drivers, tweaking settings and so on and it's just so stinking slow. While I'm not having connectivity issues like I've read others have had,the throughput is pretty inconsistent. Last night I was having high ping times and only getting 1-5 Mbps down. Today is a bit better, 15-16 Mbps but still inconcsistent.

Of course since it's Lenovo I'm dealing with a whitelist so I can't just drop any wifi card in it. I don't need an AC card, but can someone point me in the direction of a whitelisted Dual Band card?

Even if I do return the laptop, I'm not sure what my alternative is as it seems the majority of laptops are running the 7260 card.

Edit: I have fios 35/35 with an average of 40 down via wired and 30ish via my dual band n.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 25, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How does the bumpy trackpad work for multitouch OSX gestures?

About as well as it works for Windows ones, really. I don't think it can take more than two touches, so it handles scrolling well enough. The nub mouse's action is actually a bit smoother with the third-party OSX driver than it is with the Win 7 one, so I rely on that a bunch.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

JayKay posted:

Is there any recourse for the sub par performance of the Intel 7260 single band wifi card?

I picked up a refurb Lenovo u530 from Microcenter last night and while I like the laptop a lot, the wifi performance is making me want to return it. I've tried rolling back drivers, tweaking settings and so on and it's just so stinking slow. While I'm not having connectivity issues like I've read others have had,the throughput is pretty inconsistent. Last night I was having high ping times and only getting 1-5 Mbps down. Today is a bit better, 15-16 Mbps but still inconcsistent.

Of course since it's Lenovo I'm dealing with a whitelist so I can't just drop any wifi card in it. I don't need an AC card, but can someone point me in the direction of a whitelisted Dual Band card?

Even if I do return the laptop, I'm not sure what my alternative is as it seems the majority of laptops are running the 7260 card.

Edit: I have fios 35/35 with an average of 40 down via wired and 30ish via my dual band n.

The lenovo support forums were talking about people dropping this one in to their Yoga 2 Pro with no whitelist/driver trouble. I ordered one yesterday, should be here friday to install and try out. It depends on the form factor of your specific card, though.

I'm seriously hoping this will finally fix the dropping wifi clusterfuck I have on my wireless-N network at the moment. No amount of driver updates, software changes, connection disabling or router configuration can make this stop short of disabling HT Mode (essentially disabling wireless-N connections entirely) and dropping back to 56mbps G speeds, which really sucks.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 25, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

agarjogger posted:

I don't think it can take more than two touches, so it handles scrolling well enough.
Is this just a limitation of using it under OSX or the X230's trackpad itself? My X240 can do 3 and 4 finger gestures.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is this just a limitation of using it under OSX or the X230's trackpad itself? My X240 can do 3 and 4 finger gestures.

I'd bet Windows 8 certification requires 4 finger presses. I wish there was a way to get OSX (and Linux) Workspaces working on Windows with the same finger gestures. It's such a nice way to work on a small laptop screen. BetterDesktopTool does it with shortcuts, but the three finger switch desktop gesture is just a fantastic boost to productivity.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'd bet Windows 8 certification requires 4 finger presses. I wish there was a way to get OSX (and Linux) Workspaces working on Windows with the same finger gestures. It's such a nice way to work on a small laptop screen. BetterDesktopTool does it with shortcuts, but the three finger switch desktop gesture is just a fantastic boost to productivity.
I use multiple desktops at work on my Linux machine and I miss them when using a Windows machine. There's several programs that do similar things under Windows but they all suck in one way or another. There was one that was perfect except it required you to press F1-F4 or 1-4 in addition to a user-specified key to switch to a certain desktop instead of just letting you set the key commands. I've gotten by on my laptop with task switching gestures but I do miss being able to jump between desktops with the windows key plus an arrow.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gwaihir posted:

It's another cheap laptop that's just going to break again. :shrug: I mean, literally anything is going to be enough performance for parent machines, most folks here just spend the extra money for durability/warranties. It sucks that he doesn't want a tablet, because web browsing in a hotel room is basically the ideal use case for one, and you can get a lot better otterbox style protection for them compared to laptops.

Exactly this. $400 gets you a lovely laptop or a good tablet+case.

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

For that kind of money you can afford to go big and get a pretty no-compromises laptop. Dell precision M3800 (thin and light 15", 37w quad core i7, fantastic IPS screen, ~gt750 level quadro card), M4800 (Same screen, thicker chassis for higher power CPU and GPU options, at the cost of losing Nvidia Optimus- Not that this sounds like a serious downside for your use case), or all the way up to the 17" M6800. That one will probably even run out of your price range though, if loaded to the gills.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gwaihir. I'll definitely look into those models. Thanks again!

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I don't use the x230 trackpad under Windows, I'd assume it takes three or four touches. Its control panel has like two hundred options. I have no idea where the OSX UltraNav driver/kext comes from, and I'm not surprised it can only handle two. And as everyone knows, the x230's trackpad is dogshit and most people don't use it for anything.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

That's so frustrating to hear :( I'm a dedicated trackpoint user, because I loving love it on the W520 era keyboards. The buttons are shaped perfectly, and the whole thing is lightyears better than the relatively dogshit implementation on our work dell Lattitudes. Seriously just the shape of the buttons designed to cup a thumb vs Dell's flat slanted buttons makes such a huge difference, so I imagine it's complete and utter trash with no buttons at all :negative: If not for that one factor, the T440p looked so perfect. Sure, I could ask for a GT750-760 instead of the crap 730 (the chassis certainly has size and dissipation to spare for it), but lower res/low detail occasional is relatively minor thing in the scheme of laptop use compared to "Input device that I use non stop is now totally awful."

(Also don't be a stick in the mud, win8.1 is legitimately better for laptops)

Death Hamster posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, Gwaihir. I'll definitely look into those models. Thanks again!

As usual, do not buy SSD or RAM from dell. If you do it would almost certainly run you over budget. The only oddity configuration wise on those laptops is the M3800. It has two options- A 60 whr battery with a 2.5" harddrive slot + mSATA SSD slot + M.2 slot, or a 91whr battery that takes over the space where the 2.5" drive bay is. So you're left with only an m.2 slot (Populated with wireless by default) and an mSATA slot for storage with the big battery.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 25, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah, this laptop is a no go for trackpoint users. The nub istelf is fine, but the sections of the clickpad meant to fill in for discrete buttons are just not as responsive as they should be and it's hard to tell if you're pushing on the right spot.

As far as touchpad users, I would say if you like the clickpad on Macs, you should be fine with this as it's very similar. It's big, responsive, has multitouch, has sort of a rubbery feel to it, and it's totally fine if you use tap to click instead of pressing to click. I happen to like Macs and their clickpads, but unfortunately have a metal allergy to the alloy they use, and can't touch one without breaking out into hives. I briefly owned an Air and had to return it because of this.

With the T450 hopefully Lenovo comes to their senses and brings back the discrete buttons for the trackpoint and gives the clickpad a shallower click. I might even get ghetto with it and attempt to swap touchpads if something like that happens. But I have a feeling they're just preparing us for the inevitable deletion of the trackpoint, which is unfortunate because it's one of the reasons people buy Thinkpads in the first place.

As for the 730M it's an odd choice, as it's not much better than some of Intel's stuff at this point other than having better drivers. I think the Iris Pro might even be more powerful.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
So I just got my Y510p today, everything looks crisp except for Chrome and IE. What do I have to do to fix this?