Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

If it's anything like the one on the helix or t431s, it's terrible and not at all suitable if you're going to use it for any reasonable amount of time. The 'buttons' take way too much pressure (which I noticed after even a medium-length session of use), are often weirdly laggy, and pretty frequently bug out and misregister middle as right or just miss your clicks, even with the "large" click zones and the trackpad turned off in the drivers.

I'm not saying I went in with a charitable attitude, but even that aside it's literally every bit as bad as the worst case scenario for a lovely clickpad.

If it's anything like the X1C, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

The non-touch 1080p resolution is great. It's just not available as a touch screen which I guess some might want.

Who? I've never seen much of a use case for touch on a standard laptop.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

signalnoise posted:

OK so serious suggest me a laptop post: So if Haswell is the best option for people who want to get into anything that's processor-intensive, what's the best for someone who isn't going to be doing much that's processor intensive, and just wants the best battery life? Is Haswell also going to be what I want for that?

Haswell isn't much of a boost to power: it's a massive boost to battery life and a moderate boost to GPU. You absolutely want Haswell.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

obstipator posted:

Also, does anyone happen to know how I'd be able to get rid of the backlight on the keyboard, the fingerprint reader, and the default DVD drive in the optical bay? I don't want any of them, and my brother tells me you used to be able to mess with the web interface to remove them, but right now they are radio buttons defaulted to checked, so I think they fixed that. But getting rid of them would be nice and would probably save me $150.

I believe Lenovo cut down on customizability to decrease shipping speed and costs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

havenwaters posted:

Ghz was king until multiple cores happened.

While the timing is basically correct, it's not a useful thing to tell him because it suggests that more cores = better. More cores also doesn't mean better (because a lot of code doesn't multithread well) and that's why an AMD 8 core chip can be dogshit compared to an i3. Ghz was king until they hit a wall, at which point structural innovations became the way to improve power instead of just boosting the frequency. Single-core benchmarking is pretty key for most tasks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Base price of $1100 for the 240 with a non-touch screen and sub-1080p resolution. Sounds like it would be pricy to match even the entry level XPS12's specs.

Lenovo's "base price" is always fiction. I don't know if it's even possible to pay that amount, it seemingly exists only to tell you you're getting a discount.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone hated the black color scheme of the old ThinkPads. Now everyone is bitching about the gray ones!

I dunno who this everyone was, but I specifically liked it, it had a certain gravitas and conveyed "this is not a cheap toy" and the silver doesn't have any of that from the pictures.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rooster Brooster posted:

These Vaio Flips look pretty sweet, and I hate Sony products. I'm holding out for anyone else to come out with something comparable better, but I may have to bite the bullet.

I really liked the haswell tablet until I got to the 6h advertised battery life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sports posted:

Lenovo is claiming 12-15 hours battery out of the t440/x240. Please, please don't be fooled- that statistic is just a comment about the hot-swappable batteries that have been part of their laptops for decades. Apparently, the deal is that 2 fully charged batteries will give you 12 hours of battery life, which is drastically worse than the current MacBook Air line and pretty much on par with my x220.

Each laptop has 2 batteries: the hotswappable one and the internal one. Unless you mean you have to hotswap in a new one, that's the correct metric.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

surf rock posted:

I've heard that the 16 GB mSATA drive is sort of a gimmick that doesn't make much of an impact for users, other than booting up the computer. I've never even used a computer with an SSD before, and I'm buying this thing to last me for 4 to 5 years. I didn't want to risk relying on the mSATA drive instead of an actual SSD, in case those rumors were right.

I also don't use a whole lot of storage space. I don't even really need 256 GB, but apparently that's the sweet spot in terms of SSD performance and reliability, so that's what I went with.

mSATA drives aren't 16gb only, eg: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT480M500SSD3

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jjttjj posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the Surface Pro 2 that was announced today?

I have a laptop plugged into an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, external HD, etc 80% of the time, then just painstakingly unplug everything whenever i want to wander around the house for an hour tops to make up the other 20%. The dock for the Pro 2 seems like in theory i would only have to detach the thing from the dock, which would be great. I've never really been a fan of tablets but honestly whenever I actually use the laptop as a laptop instead of a desktop, I'm basically just loving around surfing the internet anyway and think the tablet form would be fine and if not i could just get one of those keyboard things. I'm kind of somewhat of a power user, doing programming and stuff, but I think the specs seem fine to support that.

Well with their space problems I want to find out what the higher-storage ones cost, but that info doesn't seem to be anywhere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

Besides power saving, is Haswell all that much of an upgrade from Ivy Bridge? It doesn't seem like the quantum leap that Sandy/Ivy Bridge were.

It's a boost to integrated GPU and a huge power saver. Both are much more significant upgrades to me - and, I suspect, the majority of laptop buyers - in a laptop than additional CPU horsepower.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

My budget for a notebook's somewhat limited, so I've been looking at the T530 since it's slightly cheaper than the T430/440. I was just wondering if Haswell was worth the New Hotness Premium when I could just use a 9 cell battery; I'll be using it for at most 6 hours without plugging in so going beyond that isn't terribly important. Cheers for the clarification.

The obvious downside of both of those plans is weight. Is that a concern for how you're planning on using the laptop - is this going to be carried around often?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dancing Peasant posted:

Awesome, thanks.

In other news, I just got my shipping notice for the Y410p, so I don't know if I'm being deceived like everyone else on their Lenovos or what:

You should be fine. It's only the estimated ship date that's pure fiction and has no relationship to the actual likely period of time that your laptop will be shipped.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

-Civ V is just fantastic with its touch enabled controls. I end up playing this most days on the train because it controls in tablet mode as slick and natural as any ipad, or android purpose built game. Also runs very smooth.

I read for the original surface pro it had problems with dpi scaling enabled - the touch controls would be off compared to the image, and you had to manually disable dpi scaling each time to make it work. I take it that's no longer the case?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Serious Sam posted:

What so great about X1 Carbon, when the x230 gets almost better reviews and are cheaper?

And If you would buy a laptop now for work purposes, would you go for touchscreen?

And did you really upgrade your thinkpad? I've had thinkpad for 6 years now, and never made any changes on them.

The X1 Carbon looks sleeker and it's got a bigger screen (14" vs 12.5") and I believe its touchpad is miles ahead of the X230's. The downside is it's more expensive, and is not easily upgradable the battery isn't detachable. I like mine but I would get an x240 (not x230) if I was getting a new laptop today: paying that premium for an Ivy Bridge laptop isn't worth it with Haswell out.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Not a problem for my Thinkpad Yoga! :smug:

Although the clickable touch pad does catch you sometimes.

What's its battery life like?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

T440's start at $679 on Lenovo's site.

I really need a new laptop and I'm going Thinkpad all the way.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/laptops/#facet-1=1,2,3&facet-2=1&facet-3=14

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's my understanding that trying to buy a mac laptop to run windows on it is a bad idea, because while windows works, the drivers are basically just "good enough" for short-term compatability but aren't perticularly well optimized and waste power like it's going out of style and the like. Is that still correct? I need to recommend a new laptop soonish and I'm not sure I can recommend a lenovo right now given their whole "https isn't all that important" issue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

There's other really nice options out there right now, if you're looking at a mac and running windows then the new XPS13 is pretty much better in every way than the current crop of Airs, for instance. It's a bit different if you're looking for something with a discrete GPU, but most Lenovo stuff short of a W series doesn't have those anymore either.

I'd basically be suggesting the new X1, so that's the style I'm looking for. Will take a look at the XPS13 - I've always hated Dell laptops but I think I've never used anything but a consumer brand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

marjorie posted:

I'm going to have money to spend on a proper laptop in a month and I'm hoping to start researching recommendations. What is the cheapest windows machine with the best display? In other words, the screen is the most important thing to me, but if all is equal, I'm (rather obviously) looking for the cheapest/best value laptop that has the best screen. I'd prefer a 15.6", but I'm not eliminating 13" (specifically, the xps13 that everyone's taking about). Are pretty much all IPS screens created equal, or are there specific standouts? Widest viewing angle is my biggest concern.

These two things aren't the same. What's your actual budget and what are you going to be doing with it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

Why are these specs better than a stock T450 but it's cheaper? Build quality? Age?

Build quality: T450 is a genuine thinkpad, the G-whatever is at best halfway between consumer and business and probably just consumer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

My mother in law does taxes, so she needs a numpad which the XPS13 doesn't have. I know they have USB ones though.

Any idea what the proper name for something like that is? Searching for numpad at Bestbuy or Staples or whatever comes up with nothing. Safari keeps insisting on changing it to nomad or numbed.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-USB-Mini-Number-Keyboard/dp/B001M55B1U

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jeffrey Colon posted:

A new company I'm working for has given me the option to have a Mac that I dual boot to Windows (using bootcamp) as my work laptop. Its a digital agency that mostly uses Mac, but I'm a Windows guy so I would like to have that OS available to me for every day use and then flip over to Mac OS occasionally.

Does anyone have any thoughts around why this might be a bad idea? I can also just get a normal Windows machine.

I looked into doing this and apparently driver support on Windows is not great: it has much worse battery life and such. That seems to be the major stumbling block to using a macbook as a full-time windows laptop - it'll be fine on a desk but noticably worse as a laptop. Doubt Apple has much motivation to fix that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What kind of uses for a laptop benefit having 8g of ram over 4g - this is for someone who will mostly be using it as an office/internet/citrix machine so I'm thinking 4g should be fine, but are there cases where it'll slow things down?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

When I view device manager I only see the Intel HD Graphics 4000, so if there's another I'm not sure what it would be.

I've never really tried to upgrade a laptop other than the HD - is it feasible to upgrade a video card in a laptop or is it a big hassle and/or expensive?

As a general rule it's not possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

The device itself looks cool but ~170 in what are basically mandatory accessories is a bit of a gently caress you

i hear windows 8 touch apps and games are really catching on!!!!!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I need something like a chromebook that's only purpose will essentially be to be a vaguely movable internet machine that sits at my desk to visit sites that we can't have accessible on company networks (webmail, etc). Will the cheapest chromebook I can find do, or are there ones that actually suck at even that most basic of tasks?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

teagone posted:

Do you give a poo poo about the display? If not, go rock bottom and get either the Hisense or Haier Chromebook for $150. If you don't want to buy those lower-tier brands, pay the $20 premium and get the Asus Chromebook C201. All 3 will browse the web just fine.

That sounds like a plan, thanks!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

teagone posted:

Do you give a poo poo about the display? If not, go rock bottom and get either the Hisense or Haier Chromebook for $150. If you don't want to buy those lower-tier brands, pay the $20 premium and get the Asus Chromebook C201. All 3 will browse the web just fine.

The C201 was an excellent choice, thanks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Minidust posted:

I poked around the graphics settings on my new Thinkpad Yoga for the first time. Apparently this unit can switch between integrated graphics and "High performance Nvidia processor." Currently it auto-selects the processor (with a number of programs defaulting to integrated graphics), but I can choose a system-wide preference as well. Are there reasons not to just prefer the Nvidia? I'm assuming it's just a battery life thing?

You don't want to be using the GPU if you're on battery power and don't actually need the graphics horsepower - like, say, if you're browsing the internet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

I have a colleague who runs citrix receiver on a Chromebook to access our hospital's EHR (EPIC). Don't think linux is involved.

I use Citrix on a chrome book as well and it works flawlessly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm looking to replace my old X1 (first gen) which now has a pretty short battery life. Not going to be playing any serious games on it so I don't need a dGPU, my main concern is being portable, long battery life, and well built. Not interested in touchscreen unless it flips all the way around so i can use it as a tablet.

So far I'm considering the T-series thinkpads, the X1 yoga, XPS13. Surface book seems overly expensive and with the usual first-gen teething problems or I'd consider it. Any others I should be considering? Budget is ~1k-1.2k, but I can go higher or lower if it makes sense.

Also:
1) Is it worth going above 1080p for the screen? I'm concerned mostly about battery tradeoffs here - for example I heard the X1 Yoga OLED screen was amazing but gave the laptop relatively short battery life.
2) Is Kaby Lake worth waiting for, or is there not much of a difference between it and Skylake?
3) Is it ever really worth it getting a faster laptop processor? M1y impression was no, but I was wondering if the low power they operate at makes those boosts noticeable again.
4) Is it worth getting one of those laptops that rotate all the way around to be a (heavy) tablet? It seems like obviously that's not good if you want a tablet, but it seems potentially neat when on the couch or train or something instead of packing an ipad as well, but I don't know if they're just not even good then.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 24, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MrPablo posted:

I have a Skylake X1 Yoga and I dig it. I went with the 1080 IPS screen rather than the HiDPI or OLED screen because I didn't have a need for either. I never use the touchscreen or flip it into tablet mode, but I like having the option.

What's actual battery life like?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It looks to me like Lenovo is about to refresh its line (the X1 Yoga keeps getting bigger and bigger discounts, but they're now out of stock of any OLED versions as well as some other options and it's now the "first generation" X1 Yoga) in case that affects anyone's decision-making.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hadlock posted:

What part of, literally the first sentence of the OP, "Updated: August 16, 2016" seems out of date?

The "above this line, updated May 2015" and the recommendations for only previous generation of thinkpads (the current gen is x60, not x50) made me assume that most of the recommendations are out of date as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Talk about IPS being better for viewing angles has always confused me, because who actually has displays--laptop or otherwise--angled away from their eyes like that? At least I never have, except in the frankly edge case of looking over someone else's shoulder :shrug:

If you have dual screens at work, you will definitely be looking at your desktop screen from odd angles for stuff on the outside half of the screen. For laptops, it means your laptop gets annoyingly fussy about precisely how open it is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Why don't you just configure the x1 carbon you want?

Lenovo appears to just be selling through existing stock in prep for a refresh as a lot of config options are sold out.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm looking at the x1 carbon page right now and it lets me configure whatever specs I want.

They are probably just missing so you don't even see what's not there. For example, OLED is gone for the X1 yoga (this is the only one I can check that I know off the top of my head used to be there but I expect its the same on the X1). If you didn't look closely at the specs and compare them to the options you'd never realize it was missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

The 2016 model (4th generation) of the x1 carbon never had a touch screen or OLED option. I think the names get confusing since there is also the x1 yoga which is a different product.

I'm talking about the X1 Yoga. I'm using it as an example because I do not happen to have the old config options of the X1 Carbon memorized, but it's very easy to see what they've done with the X1 Yoga so that's what I was pointing to. Plus, Rosalind just confirmed they did it with an option he was looking for on the X1 (the touch screen).