Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Here's my dog, she farts a lot, her name is Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Fuckin amazing

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
SITREP: Zelda: Still a dogge

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
This is how Zelda deals with us eating dinner without her being allowed near the table. By surrounding herself with toys.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Someone say radar dishes?

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

bonewitch posted:

pette that dogge right now

Okay

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Trying to do laundry, couldn't find some socks.

Oh.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Mak0rz posted:

post any and/or all dogges itt tia

Dogge Post

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Dogges?

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

I could watch this forever.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

How is your shep

Doing her best to understand the complexities of existence.

Otherwise just fine.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

There's someone around here with a GSD, and I think that they should post more pictures of him :)

If you're referring to Zelda, She really wanted me to get up and play this morning.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Genocide Tendency posted:

Well.. Did you?

I did.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

holocaust bloopers posted:

POST ZELDA

QTIYD

Just graduated

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 10, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Put a new mattress on my bed today. Someone immediately got to work testing it out.

Oh hey Zelda

10 minutes later...

Approved

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Singing time with Zelda.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
So my friend has this three day cookout/party every year, this years theme is south of the border. Just got my sombrero and someone doesn't seem too thrilled about it.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
I come home from a weekend away to find someone has been making a nest.

EDIT: After many pettes and a thorough examination of every single item I took out while I was unpacking, she's worn herself out

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Zelda has been subjected to #Trumpyourdog

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

How are Zelda and tanky btw

Taking a break after a 5 minute training session of teaching her "Place". I think she's getting the hang of it.

Bonus dogge tattooed on girlfriends leg. RIP Chewbacca :wookie:

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Zelda post incoming.

Making a dumb face while sleeping:

Picked up a new victim on the way home from work:

Ensuing Massacre:

They never stood a chance.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
If you ever find yourself not being to much of a hambeast to get out of your house in your spare time, volunteer at a shelter, hang out with good rear end dogges all day.

Met this little babe this afternoon, Her name is Gloria and if she wasn't already on hold I would've taken her home to be the perfect little sister to Zelda.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Alright so I'm getting closer and closer to a dogge so I'll be asking a lot of questions the next couple weeks.

I'm not going to lie I am a bit lost. We always had dogs growing up but it was a large handful of us taking care of them. Never was my sole responsibility. Finances are alright. It's definitely going to be a rescue. Again, don't care about breeds just no yap dogges and it can't be aggressive. Also no puppies (not my rules) It's going to have to be on the smaller size because my place is quite small. I'd say between 20-40 lbs? Hope to train it up to ride on my motorcycle at some point. I just want a chill dog that sleeps all day but can run wild for an hour or two when I take him out. I don't want to but there will be sometimes where I'll
be gone for 8 hours. I will be taking it out very often and pretty much everywhere I go. Luckily the neighbors pretty much all have dogges and two of them have a yard so sure I'll work something out down the line with taking turns walking eachothers dogge. I'm also not a big fan of leashes and want it to follow me in tow and come the first time I call it. Not trying to teach it dumb tricks just some obedience

Is hardwood a concern? Just keep the nails trimmed? Luckily it's sealed but hope I don't forget about urine behind a couch or something and it soaks in

Crate train for when your away, even if your dogge is an absolute angel and you don't mind letting it roam your house, it's a good idea.
Your hardwood will probably get some scratches, even if you keep the nails trimmed, sometimes they get excited and wanna run. We've had big dogges for about 13 years and our hardwood isn't all that banged up more than normal wear and tear.
If you don't have a yard to use daily, make sure you take it on walks or to the park so it can expend some energy.
As far as leashes go, that shits a law where I'm from so you basically have to keep your dogge on a leash in public, but after a couple completed obedience courses your dogge can reliably stay with you and come when called. At least that was part of the curriculum for the training center I worked with.

Edit: Also met Margot at the shelter today.

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 5, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

How's Zelda? Does Zelda have an Instagram?

Also hi Margot :3:

Being a good rear end dogge, sadly no instagram.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I disagree with locking your dog in a cage for 8~ hours a day. Might as well have left it in the fuckin pound.

I meant mostly for if your dog has issues going to the bathroom or tearing poo poo up, or for a place for it to feel safe while you're asleep or gone for a bit. But you know, go ahead and leave him at the most likely overcrowded shelter with a deadline before he is euthanized.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Zelda Sitrep: Laziest GSD ever.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Genocide Tendency posted:

Eh.. I have heard so many different things its hard to know which is accurate.

At one point I had someone I generally trust on training knowledge tell me they don't actually understand words. But your voice, tone and gestures.

I honestly don't know what the truth is on it any more. Last time I trained a dog, it was my sister's lab and she had rocks for brains. She responded to me walking in the room and guessed what I wanted. Worked 50% of the time since the commands were either scritches/treats or "shut the gently caress up idiot". If I had something in my hand she kept barking, just walked up to me while doing so.

Im calling you out for not posting pictures of either dog.

My girlfriend does clicker training for service dogs and what they do basically is click and treat when the dog performs the action they're trying to achieve without any cues.

As the dog learns that the thing its doing is a good thing, then they add in visual cues, and then add in a word.

So no, your dog has no clue what you're saying and mostly doesn't care because they mostly communicate through body language. For them, they just know that the sound "Sit" from your mouth means put my butt on the ground because I'm doing the good thing that you want.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Hung out with this little gargoyle named Lisa at the shelter yesterday

And Zelda really wanted my sandwich

Like dude, gimme that sandwich

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

eyyyyyyy Zelda

Is she fully grown?

When we got her from the rescue they guessed she was about eleven months old, which puts her at a year and three months now. She was really underweight when we got her and she's filled out quite a bit since then but I imagine she's gonna be a little sleek thing even when she's done developing.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

holocaust bloopers posted:

Zelda looks like the sweetest dogge ever.

Pretty much, she literally never barks and just wants to either cuddle, sleep, or play with everyone.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Any suggestions for helping separation anxiety?

Also try putting one of your dirty socks in the crate, one you've worked in all day. They love having your smell with them.

We did that with Zelda when she first came home with us because she also had some spearation issues when both of us had to be at work.

I will still occasionally find my socks randomly hidden in places after she's stolen them from the laundry basket.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
It was hot today so we tried to see if Zelda would play in a pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT35_2uSwbU

She was much more interested in the hose.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Good morning Zelda

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Here

Phone posting so probably hosed up

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 1, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Zelda is probably awesome and I hope she makes you happy :3:

Great Dogge, can confirm.

Girlfriend just rescued this little Australian Cattle Dog thing. Meet Rocco.

And sometimes I drive past this vet, had to do a double take at the sign.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

^ Gonna need more cattle dog pics like ASAP

Ask and ye shall receive

Rocco and Zelda are basically best friends already. Though both being working dogs it is very hard to get a good picture of them together. So much activity.

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 1, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
We took the kids to the pond today, neither of them had been in the water before so it was a fun experience.

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 5, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
We took Zelda and Rocco to petsmart to pick out some new toys, then after some running around in the park and a dip in the pond we headed home.

Zelda passed out with her new pheasant thing about 5 minutes after we got back.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Zelda really wants the cheese.

I gave her the cheese(and many pettes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't get a bred pet :(

This. They're expensive and no guarantee that your dog won't come out as a poo poo head anyway. I'm of the opinion that buying from breeders just encourages them to continue doing it and placing more dogs into a world full of overcrowded shelters and rescues housing tons of dogs that need your help.

I got Zelda from a rescue and she is one of the most well behaved and mild tempered dogs I've ever met. There are tons of dogs out there who just need a loving home. Even if they have health issues, you are giving them a much better life than they would have had otherwise. The shelter I work with also allows a sort of trial period for you to take a dog home with you for a week to see if they're a good fit in your family, so that you don't make the mistake of taking home the wrong dog for you and having it just end up in another shelter.

Content:

Failed attempt at getting Zelda and Rocco to sit still together.

I guess I'll just be sleeping on the edge...

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 19, 2015