Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So I just grabbed this last night, pretty fun so far, but I spent last night playing on babby's first apocalypse mode with the spawns turned down to 0.5 and the slow zombies mod on. What should I be doing on my first day on default settings, and what are some OP character builds if I want to be making a Mad Max mobile ASAP?

E: Oh, and should I just bite the bullet and grab the latest experimental? I've been playing on release.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Newbie checking back in, managed to get a decent set of gear with an evac center that's about 15 tiles away from nearest city, character has night vision so I went down for some mass looting which went super well until my 3rd run of the night (huzzah night vision trait) when a feral zombie jumped me using smellovision. I was just about to ragequit when I remembered that I had a decent throwing skill from hunting with knife spears, so I figured I'd at least go down fighting throwing poo poo. loving crit brained that feral like 5x with all the heavy loot in my pack, killshot was a toolbox. :feelsgoodman:

Now for the question: Is there an option to make the advanced inventory (/) filter reset between searches? It's becoming a pain in the dick to backspace out what was in there from last time.

E: Also holy christ, enter needs to make you grab the selected item, not confirm the filter search.

E2: Also also why doesn't it just clear the filter automatically, this is a grognard game, if I want to do the same search twice, I'll type it again.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 17, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

If you hit Escape while typing in the filter, it'll remove the filter. Still a little annoying, but handy all the same.

This helps a little, thanks!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My earlier story about throwing poo poo at a feral until it died was made possible because I found a military supply store on the run just prior and got outfitted. That wouldn't have gone nearly as well without all the armor I found.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So did I just stumble on a bug, or do I not understand how the secondary skill is supposed to work with crafting? I thought reflex recurve bow required fabrication 5 and archery 7.

E: Also holy christ skill rust really is garbage, is there any way to turn it off midgame? I'm not opposed to opening up a savefile in a text editor, I just have no idea where to look. Oh wow, an in-game option editor, thanks devs. If anyone reading this later is curious, its ?-2 for options, then skill rust is under debug.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 18, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks, ended up finding it. Google is your friend!

:justpost:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Heavy survivor gear is too good. Pair it up with the electric thermal underwear and you're unstoppable no matter what season.

E: Also holy crap Woods soup is OP as hell. You can dehydrate meat and veggies for two of the ingredients, and make the 3rd ingredient out of pine boughs if you're running low on veggies. You can craft 20 batches at a time because it has a 10 day spoilage (20 batches is roughly 10 days worth of food) in just under 2 hours, and you can fit an entire day's worth of nutrition in a plastic bottle.

:ninja:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 22, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

someone with platinum check to see if he posts in tcc

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kayle7 posted:

One thing that still bothers me, and has bothered me since before even 0.A came out, is that electric motors are not craftable.

You can craft LARGE electric motors, and even small ones, just not plain electric motors. They are required in a couple crafting recipes, like blade traps.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this to go unchanged for like a couple years, is that Granade has some kind of weird backwards logic about it, but it still sucks

Also (normal) storage batteries but that might be a balance thing.

E: That might be the case on electric engines too, so you can't just spam a shitton of 3x3 zombie blenders.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Looks like the "gunsmith" shop has been removed from mapgen. Fortunately, at the moment, the gunsmith still exists as a template but it hasn't been added to the mapgen.

In case anyone wants to restore it, the mapgen file is in data/json/regional_map_settings.json. If you look down the list, you can see a list of shops it can spawn. You will want to add "gunsmith" to the list.

Questions on modding and such, do I need to do anything to the save file to pop a new mod in, or just the main data folder? If I change something map related like this file, will the new settings kick in as I explore further out?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

its a tank, youre safe at any speed :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

And eventually you can make your own purifier (which then gets combined into a Foodco kitchen buddy so it runs off a vehicle's battery).

Water purifier isn't even that hard to craft early on, Mechanics 3 and Electronics 1 are both pretty straightforward to get, and you can get all the components by disassembling a console and a refrigerator for the hose (I'll assume you already have a pile of bottles laying around because you've been scrounging for food).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I had no idea a Foodco Kitchen Buddy had all that nice stuff (vacuum sealer, purifier, dehydrator and - strangely - a hand press and die set) built in. If I'd known, I'd have concentrated on finding or building one asap - it would mean I wouldn't have to have all of these tools sitting around cluttering up my hoard.

Also - integrated toolset is Gods' own gift to survivors. The amount of poo poo I have been able to avoid carrying around is amazing.

I haven't found integrated toolset yet but I'm loving the survivor utility belt for the same reason. As long as I craft near my vehicle, I've got access to a welder too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Make a welder cart that you can happily drag along behind you and runs off a storage battery. Easily assembled when you drive into town with your proper mobile warbase.

I usually end up dragging a storage cart around with a small gas tank welded in so I can siphon as I go, then I just hoof everything back to the car before attempting any kind of crafting. I've got my car laid out so I can get to all of my tools while standing one square outside the car.

Also holy crap, I explored the next town over last night; 3 gun stores, an electric sports car for 2x enhanced electric engines, a military vehicle with two mounted M249s, and a bookstore. Oh and like 5 sporting goods stores(!) that I wasn't able to loot yet because I ran out of cargo space.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so I was reading through the crafting recipes and I came across http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/inhaler_sewergas.

Which one of you put jenkem in the game?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm a lovely Mad Max because I bring my loot home and then jumper my bigass solar array to my deathmobile.

Gasoline only exists as a thing for winter when I can't get a charge off the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI2C-O-g15k except hypermiling

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kinda related, I came up with a clever-ish way to install the correct swappable battery (fully charged vs not) every time without a cart. Put them in two separate cargo containers, each with a door between your crafting square and the storage, and open/close the doors to match which set of batteries you want to install.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Uhh.... does it not let you choose "Which part? (in inventory) or (nearby)" so you can just pick up the one you want to install?

It does, but this is actually for my gigantic solar array/battery charger so I'm swapping out like 8 of them at a time.

E: Solar cars give me almost as much wood as a gun store when I pull into town, I think I have a solar panel problem.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe batteries are a special case because of the whole charge thing, but I know it doesn't let me choose between solar panels that have different durability levels.

Nah hes saying hold the ones you want to install in your inventory, because it'll let you choose between what you're holding and what's nearby which does work fine until you start dealing with 5+ 50lb batteries.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

palamedes posted:

I run with a light survivor suit + light survivor harness + firefighter belt + drop leg pouches + two helmet nettings. That's around 70 storage with torso encumbrance less than 10. More if you can find a tactical dump pouch to replace the belt. I carry a duffel bag and equip it when I need to haul a lot of stuff home; with enough skill you can still thrash anything short of a hulk carrying that encumbrance.

I went the other way, I'm a walking tank with heavy survivor everything except light survivor gloves, plus a sleeveless survivor duster with kevlar and leather padding (the leather ended up not bumping me to next encumbrance level). I keep my arms and hands relatively unencumbered for archery. Shooting arrows point blank just means you don't miss. :getin:

E: With this setup, I can facetank 2 zombie hulks at the same time and shrug off being slammed into a wall 3x with over half my health left by the time it's over.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 3, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so I was playing :spergin: around with armor and I'm pretty happy with this setup for an archer. This has 90 volume, and all the +es are kevlar and leather except for the duster which is kevlar only:

The light survivor gloves make a huge difference in archery where you're reloading every shot; at 9 archery with a reflex recurve bow, it takes 61 ticks to quick fire with light survivor gloves, and 107 ticks to fire with heavy survivor gloves (20 encumbrance). If you were playing a ranged character it would make more sense to take the heavy survivor gloves.

E: No drop leg pouches because they are 2 encumbrance and will push me over the edge on my legs.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 4, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hmm, all these are good suggestions. I did just get Integrated Toolset (I need to spend a few days reading textbooks I already have to get my First Aid up to 8), I do have a MAC-10 sitting at home, and that SMG slot is definitely intended to be a last resort. Once I get Integrated Toolkit installed, I do have a pair of dump pouches. One thing I noticed after I posted is that I could put on some knee pads too, but I haven't found any yet (or if I did, I cut them into plastic chunks :sigh:).

E: Woohoo, reverse jinxed myself, there was a pair of kneepads in the milsurp store where I had seen the dump pouches.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 4, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Welp, now I need to find an MBT.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=212.915

:pwn: Owned that wolf so hard he died twice.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I know those control laptops make turrets farrrr too trivial but those days i don't go to a place with turrets without one, it's just not worth repairing my damaged reinforced carry/volume equipment (duffel bags, etc..) every time it got damaged by bullets. If you go to a labs/base you should definitively get one and use it on both turrets and manhacks, it makes the whole thing trivial,. Also i shouldn't have started using a Camera, it just turned the game into pokemon for me. Gonna get list them all.

Well gently caress, now I'm going to have to refrain from turning my next camera into security camera parts.

Completely unrelated, but jumping the fence on a park and hitting the F button until nothing is moving is a great way to build archery. I've killed off hundreds of zombie kids so far, so I feel nothing but TARGET ACQUIRED. :awesomelon:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 5, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MECHATORG ANGRY AT FLAT TIRE RARGH

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

palamedes posted:

I feel like I heard about it here, so thanks to whoever mentioned leather chaps as a leg armor option. No encumbrance, doesn't share a layer with other important gear, and goes great with a cowboy hat. Now it's time to find a badge and the biggest revolvers possible.

Holy poo poo, the mythical leg outer layer. I think it's just chaps and dusters, any others?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Except with the stairs being under a dissector.

ALright so wandering through the wilderness I'm surrounded by wildlife all the time. They're not hostile, they're just crowding everywhere around my murderbus. What the hell is going on? It got so bad I couldnt even move because there were that many clogging up around the car.

Craft/find a food dehydrator and enjoy not having to hunt for the next year.

I ended up making a small vehicle with roller drums on it because I get like zero wildlife in the plains around my base, and anything big enough to be worth hunting runs the gently caress away faster than me. Now I just drive at 50mph through the forest, ghost riding the whip and taking potshots at Bambi's mom. :v:

E: Why do moose only spawn at the beginning of the game. I would loving love to get mobbed by like 10 mooses (meese?) right now, I'd be set for meat for a year.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 6, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Also you can activate their eggs and from the spoils you can make powdered eggs for eventual consumption. Yum. :v:

Yes spider nests own for this reason. Powdered eggs are even better than dehydrated meat for woods soup, but I never seem to get enough bird/reptile eggs to make a batch. (Would be nice if the crafting system would let me combine both types, but that's probably a complete rework of crafting in general.)

Fake edit: Is there a mod that removes either bird or reptile eggs and just spawns one or the other?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Darn. Not picking up that artifact again though, that'd be a hell of a way to loose my best character so far.

I also don't have the explosives recipes to make dynamite or c4. The towns I've explored are a little sparse, I've found no labs, and there's one very empty military bunker that ate through any explosives I did have.

Dumb question. I've got my vehicle welder installed on my car, it's got plenty of battery, I have a swappable storage battery, but I still cant craft sometimes because I'm missing a powered welder. I'm standing right next to the thing. It works when I (use the welder) on anything on my inventory. What's up with that?

Not enough charges maybe? Using the welder on something in inventory usually takes up one charge, while crafting or vehicle welding takes up more than one.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In the continuing adventures of 'holy gently caress why are there so many special zombies', I just killed six hulks all camping in the same house.

E: Now having to defend the pile of corpses from an endless stream of Zombie Necromancers, I just killed number four and there's at least one more that I can see.

I really don't like how the game prioritizes zombie necromancers last when it picks targets to (f)ire at.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kafouille posted:

There are so many specials in the current dev builds because the default setting for zombies evolution is set to one day, that means they have a 50% chance to evolve every single day. That will run away from you very quickly indeed and it's kinda insane, i toned it down to 4 in my current game and it's a lot more reasonable.

gently caress, I indirectly noticed this, I didn't do anything except run from zombies and evade them (hurray night vision) for the first season or two, and now its an ~event~ when I see a zombie that doesn't have a modifier of some kind.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:woop: Add vehicle direction indicator in tiles mode :woop:

E: Not in yet, but probably will be tonight, they're just discussing details like which cursor to use, etc.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not going to go driving 60mph with roller back wheels either. :v:

This is 4 electric engines, 2 enhanced and 2 large. After the multi engine penalties, it's probably equivalent to a higher displacement V12.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Are ear plugs broken on trunk? I haven't found any, and http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ is giving errors on http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ear_spool and http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/ear_plugs.

E: I do have noise cancelling headgear, but my head encumbrance is already maxed, so I can't put them on without taking off my helmet.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Teddles posted:

I got woken up in the middle of the night by noises and went to investigate. A moose came into the evac shelter and started kicking the poo poo out of me, so I lured it into the basement and locked it in there.

Is there anything fun I can do with a basement moose?

You've got like 3 days of dehydrated moose jerky wandering around in your basement. Please do the needful.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Semi-related, is there a way to scroll the text log upward?

Edit: Capital P apparently, I didn't even know that screen existed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hubris.cpp

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

God drat spawning near an anthill makes the first winter trivial. I've got more meat than I know what to do with (I should probably get construction up so I can get a charcoal smoker) off like an hour of hunting. Also small game arrows don't do anything to ants, so I can spam out all my arrows and level up archery quick too.

E: Or not on the smoking, rock charcoal kiln needs a real shovel, the digging stick isn't enough. Completely forgot about the stone shovel, smoked meats here I come.

E2: Got my charcoal kiln and smoker set up none too soon, I found this about 8 tiles south of my start:

It's Meatopia :allears:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 13, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzawEo8A-gw&t=187s

E: Oh and the final tally from Meatopia above? ~350 meat stockpiled by the middle of the 2nd season. (LMOE start, so Winter was 1st season.)

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I got pretty much all my building/crafting skills up into the 5s in about 2 seasons on my current LMOE start without any relevant books. (Basement spawned with throwing and bartering books...yay.) You can get a full metalworking setup going with just rocks and Construction 5, minus any of the recipes that need welding goggles.