Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Every autocross i ever went to back in the day always had one of those ppl (mine had a 90s Corolla sleeper that would do endos multiple times per run), also the scruffy old man with an equally scruffy old British sports car (a TVR 3000 in my case), and maybe also the $150,000+ exotic (Porsche GT3RS) cone chaser that gets hauled in on a covered trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KidDynamite posted:

Car's are being produced in Germany but have not begun to ship over yet. You won't be able to test drive one for quite a long while I imagine.

For chip talk, can I wrap my car and put opticoat on it? I want it to live in a bubble. For sure doing an autoflex wrap the day I take delivery just want to know what else I can do.

Honestly, in the case of protection, I'm really disappointed in the opticoat. It does keep the car a bit cleaner and basically replaces the need to wax the car, but the paint still scratches like crazy. I kind of want to get a wrap for mine now that I've seen just how lovely the paint is on the 16.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Besides burning a shitload of oil, those are decent econo cars for the time. It was my first manual and it took quite a beating while getting 30-36mpg. They're pretty light since all the plastic, too. :v:

It was faster than my high school friends cars at the time, such as a V6 camaro, a Fiero, and an NA Eagle Talon. :smug:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That Saturn sl2 is four door, ecu tuned, and lowered. Guy can drive.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
How does the AWD system in the Golf R work? I had a 2011 STI for a reference point. I had no idea they were sub 40K...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

How does the AWD system in the Golf R work? I had a 2011 STI for a reference point. I had no idea they were sub 40K...
It's clutch-based haldex. FWD until slip is detected, then power is routed to the rear. On the street you will likely not be able to tell the difference between this and a true mechanical AWD system.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Apologies if this is not the correct place for this question, but does anybody know if you can fit all weather tires on a 2015 Golf R with 19" wheels? It came with some summer tires that are great in nice driving conditions but I was thinking of looking into a set that's a bit more versatile if I wanted to go up the pass to snowboard or something.

Thanks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why would you not be able to do that

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would you not be able to do that

Wheel well clearance? I don't know I've only ever owned larger vehicles lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can literally look on the internet for other tires in the same size as the OE tires. A cursory look at Tirerack revealed four high-performance all-season options and one true winter tire.

If you plan to drive in snow, get a smaller set of wheels and snowtires, because 19" snow tires are really expensive, and all-season tires are stupid.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can literally look on the internet for other tires in the same size as the OE tires. A cursory look at Tirerack revealed four high-performance all-season options and one true winter tire.

If you plan to drive in snow, get a smaller set of wheels and snowtires, because 19" snow tires are really expensive, and all-season tires are stupid.

Ahh ok that's what I was wondering, I had seen youtube videos of some folks mobbing around in their new R's with what appeared to be smaller wheel sets and I wasn't sure why. That's what drove me to post here.
Thanks for the info!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Flashed my FiST the other night with my new AP and have noticed a very nice difference so far. I bought the AP from Mountune, which includes their baseline tune w/ a voucher for 45 days of etuning, and tried their base map as well and it almost felt too powerful/agressive and saw boost peak at 25psi (in addition to some other bits of data/aspects that i felt a bit concerned so I reflashed to the Cobb 93 map for now) with the car blowing off the line like a 335d. Cobb map on the other hand has peak boost at 21.6psi, OAR at -1.00, and +6 timing advance w/o any negative so far so of course ill be sticking with that for the time being. Also the car is even louder with the tune + the MBRP 3" exhaust (especially under boost) that went on a few weeks ago, ideally the symposer delete will cut down on some of the cabin noise - with the windows down it's much nicer on the ears, so we'll see.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 23, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How's the drone on the MBRP exhaust? I want a bit more noise but I spend a lot of time on the highway and don't want anything crazy. If the motor hadn't blown up two months in I probably would have swapped my Probe back to stock, the magnaflow exhaust the PO had put on it was horrible at 80 MPH. Everything else I've owned has had stock exhaust so I don't really know what I'm looking for other than the generic "more noise when I'm on it, but not enough to be annoying when putting around".

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

willroc7 posted:

It's clutch-based haldex. FWD until slip is detected, then power is routed to the rear. On the street you will likely not be able to tell the difference between this and a true mechanical AWD system.

Gross. Also classic car salesman line at the end, thank you.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

How's the drone on the MBRP exhaust? I want a bit more noise but I spend a lot of time on the highway and don't want anything crazy. If the motor hadn't blown up two months in I probably would have swapped my Probe back to stock, the magnaflow exhaust the PO had put on it was horrible at 80 MPH. Everything else I've owned has had stock exhaust so I don't really know what I'm looking for other than the generic "more noise when I'm on it, but not enough to be annoying when putting around".

mine might still be breaking in and quieting down but when you're not just putting around town it can be very loud at times inside the cabin (but also sound like ur running anti-lag with all the bangs and gurgles). a lot of people seem to love the cobb 2.5" catback which is probably the wise choice for most well-adjusted people.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

:agesilaus: quattro4lyfe

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mariana Horchata posted:

Flashed my FiST the other night with my new AP and have noticed a very nice difference so far. I bought the AP from Mountune, which includes their baseline tune w/ a voucher for 45 days of etuning, and tried their base map as well and it almost felt too powerful/agressive and saw boost peak at 25psi (in addition to some other bits of data/aspects that i felt a bit concerned so I reflashed to the Cobb 93 map for now) with the car blowing off the line like a 335d. Cobb map on the other hand has peak boost at 21.6psi, OAR at -1.00, and +6 timing advance w/o any negative so far so of course ill be sticking with that for the time being. Also the car is even louder with the tune + the MBRP 3" exhaust (especially under boost) that went on a few weeks ago, ideally the symposer delete will cut down on some of the cabin noise - with the windows down it's much nicer on the ears, so we'll see.

Woh, 25psi sounds intense. More than a year later I'm still tickled with Cobb's 21psi. I have been considering an etune, it seems like it might be the next best hp/trq per dollar.

Did you upgrade the dp when you put your exhaust on?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

willroc7 posted:

:agesilaus: quattro4lyfe

Quattro is now merely a marketing term.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

wallaka posted:

Quattro is now merely a marketing term.
This is true but it should have been clear from context I was referring to the original, true, mechanical AWD system. Torsen4lyfe. There, is that better?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

Woh, 25psi sounds intense. More than a year later I'm still tickled with Cobb's 21psi. I have been considering an etune, it seems like it might be the next best hp/trq per dollar.

Did you upgrade the dp when you put your exhaust on?

Nope still running the stock downpipe, just wanted the catback for some actual sound coming from the car and i certainly do have that now.

From the outside it sounds identical to the car in this video. It's not for everybody, but as said here before I've always been jealous of the sounds that come out of the back of the 500 Abarth compared to the ST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJaysJBOmCk

What are you using for your OTS map and your gas? I initially read that some preferred using the 91 map while running 93 oct so i gave that a try and it did confirm much of what was said regarding "feeling" quicker - which i think is just from a slightly different powerband that has a more pronounced feeling when boost kicks in, while the 93 map feels smoother and more linear (which I've decided to stick with for now). I also do wonder if the 3" exhaust has any effect/interplay on both the Cobb and Mountune tunes that came loaded on the AP which were made with the stock catback in mind. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hold off on my complimentary 45 days of etuning until make my decision on getting a Cobb intercooler (waiting for the hot weather to observe charge temps)...and by then I should have my mind made up on whether I'm going to keep or trade the MBRP catback for a mellower exhaust or perhaps a downpipe.

Also the Ford specific 'on-the-fly' map switch feature is pretty handy and will likely be utilized in the future when running the Mountune etune as I certainly don't really need the car to be producing maximum power at all times.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 24, 2016

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

I'm not a big fan of the sound of the MBRP exhaust. I really like the Scorpion 3".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOAoabX1KCM
(Skip to 48 sec)
They don't sell via any retailers in the USA but I queried them via e-mail and they're willing to send overseas from their UK operation.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 24, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

He's not wrong.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Mariana Horchata posted:

What are you using for your OTS map and your gas?

Cobb OTS 93oct on 93 octane. I haven't heard that about the 91, but I will try putting that map on.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mariana Horchata posted:

... until make my decision on getting a Cobb intercooler (waiting for the hot weather to observe charge temps)...

Unless you already have an aftermarket intercooler*, you need an aftermarket intercooler. The stock one heats up in <4 hard pulls up to speed even in cold weather.

* Or you don't actually participate in any sort of high-performance driving.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've been researching mods for my Abarth and I came across this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB-WfKMm-3c

and now I want to drive around an Abarth that sounds like a little turbocharged tractor

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

So now you guys have me aimless cruising youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olYfUTfV2g

:negative: ugh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

So now you guys have me aimless cruising youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olYfUTfV2g

:negative: ugh

That sounds so loving awesome. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a Fiesta ST and saved a bit more scratch for my wedding.

Edit: I doubt I will feel this way once my car gets here though.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 25, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KidDynamite posted:

That sounds so loving awesome.

No, no it doesn't. That sounds like crap and if he were my neighbor I'd hate him.

I'll keep the factory exhaust on my Focus, I like the fact that it's quiet and doesn't sound like a fart-pipe Honda even a little bit.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

KidDynamite posted:

That sounds so loving awesome. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a Fiesta ST and saved a bit more scratch for my wedding.

Edit: I doubt I will feel this way once my car gets here though.

Straight pipe sounds great at idle and really low RPM from the outside but sounds like complete rear end when you get on the gas, the sound inside the cabin is way too much to live with as well but that's my personal opinion. I had my exhaust off when it was getting repaired and the week or so I had it was fun at first but really sucked after the first couple of days.

To me, my MAPerformance cat-back with Mountune downpipe sounds great, plenty of burbles and pops. Compared to the Injen I had before it there is practically no drone. That Injen droned bad but people say not nearly as bad as the MBRP. Both exhausts make the cabin sound incredibly boomy between 3-4.5k but not in a good way. It was impossible to have a phone call while driving on the freeway at anything faster than 70.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Coolnezzz posted:

Straight pipe sounds great at idle and really low RPM from the outside but sounds like complete rear end when you get on the gas, the sound inside the cabin is way too much to live with as well but that's my personal opinion. I had my exhaust off when it was getting repaired and the week or so I had it was fun at first but really sucked after the first couple of days.

To me, my MAPerformance cat-back with Mountune downpipe sounds great, plenty of burbles and pops. Compared to the Injen I had before it there is practically no drone. That Injen droned bad but people say not nearly as bad as the MBRP. Both exhausts make the cabin sound incredibly boomy between 3-4.5k but not in a good way. It was impossible to have a phone call while driving on the freeway at anything faster than 70.

I never checked that one out but I actually like it a lot.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Wheeee posted:

He's not wrong.

The idea of which wheels being driven changing at the limit when balance is already precarious sounds terrible. And it is terrible. And lazy. I'm sure the Golf R is awesome, but I am boring and like predictability.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

The idea of which wheels being driven changing at the limit when balance is already precarious sounds terrible. And it is terrible. And lazy. I'm sure the Golf R is awesome, but I am boring and like predictability.

So what do you think about the Fpcus RS' twinster system? It can direct 80% of power to the rear and then 100% of that power to the outside wheel during a turn.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

So what do you think about the Fpcus RS' twinster system? It can direct 80% of power to the rear and then 100% of that power to the outside wheel during a turn.

One thing I really liked about the STi is that everything except ABS was defeatable. If 'drift mode' is your thing that's cool, I bet its a blast and would hoon it up for sure. But when I just want to get rowdy on my own terms I feel like simple mechanical systems are more fun. Always wondering when the software will intervene (or is intervening) sucks. For me, a stiff with a day job which is not racing cars, more control over the variables invariably leads to a more fun, rewarding drive.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

One thing I really liked about the STi is that everything except ABS was defeatable. If 'drift mode' is your thing that's cool, I bet its a blast and would hoon it up for sure. But when I just want to get rowdy on my own terms I feel like simple mechanical systems are more fun. Always wondering when the software will intervene (or is intervening) sucks. For me, a stiff with a day job which is not racing cars, more control over the variables invariably leads to a more fun, rewarding drive.

None of this applies to the RS. Read the reviews. There is no wondering about a computer you just stomp on it and it's fun.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Locator posted:

No, no it doesn't. That sounds like crap and if he were my neighbor I'd hate him.

I'll keep the factory exhaust on my Focus, I like the fact that it's quiet and doesn't sound like a fart-pipe Honda even a little bit.

Agreed. A neighbor like 2 blocks away has an SRT4 with what I assume is a straight pipe. It is the worst.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The SRT4's do not have mufflers from the factory except for the turbo so it may be louder than expected. I think i remember some of them getting tickets on stock exhausts.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 25, 2016

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

fyodor posted:

None of this applies to the RS. Read the reviews. There is no wondering about a computer you just stomp on it and it's fun.

Sounds rad then!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Defghanistan posted:

Ahh ok that's what I was wondering, I had seen youtube videos of some folks mobbing around in their new R's with what appeared to be smaller wheel sets and I wasn't sure why. That's what drove me to post here.
Thanks for the info!

I posted this on a different forum that was asking about wheels.

I went with Petrols that have a similar pattern for only 300 each.

My summers.

My winters.

E: As far as the Haldex goes, during normal driving, you'd never know the car was primarily FWD. Give it the beans and it just goes. In the snow, it plays just like a full time AWD system would. I can get it sideways with no issues. Haldex is designed like it is, because for 99% of the people that buy this car, it will never be driven at 10/10 and this improves fuel economy by a huge margin. If I stay out of the turbo and just cruise it at 55/65 I can coax almost 35mpg out of the car. Start driving like a jackass (which I do most of the time anyway) and it drops to low 20s and stays there.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 25, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Very solid winter wheel choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KidDynamite posted:

Very solid winter wheel choice.

Ya, the smallest I can go is 17" and since the car spends minimum of 5 months a year on winters, I figured I'd splurge and get a wheel I don't mind looking at instead of the boring steelies I had on the TDI.