Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xsf421 posted:

Everyone here just uses a flatbed + winch to steal cars :shrug:

Ya, unfortunately if someone wants your car bad enough, nothing is going to stop it. I just hope if mine ever gets nabbed they don't find it, cause i sure as hell won't want it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Cars are primarily stolen for parts if they're not stolen for a quick joyride, so if they don't find it in a couple of hours it's almost definitely chopped.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Unless you're missing an arm or leg or both, everyone should know how to drive a manual.

Having a manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents around.

My neighbor only has 1 arm and DD's a regular manual Ford ranger.

No excuses!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Having a manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents around.

There was recently an incident where a guy got killed because his car was a manual and the thief couldn't figure it out.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

My neighbor only has 1 arm and DD's a regular manual Ford ranger.

No excuses!

And those clutches​ and shifters are agricultural at best.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

PaintVagrant posted:

Works! Had to swap in a 60 dollar USB hub and install two separate auto installer packages using a fat32 flash drive.

I think this only works on sync3, so 2016 and up. 2017s come from the factory with it, I think.

How did the hub install go? It's tight in there and it looks like a bitch to get something in and out of there.

And since we're on the topic of stolen cars. Here's what I found parked in my neighbors spot in our garage on like day 3 after buying the Fiesta.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 19, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Quite A Tool posted:

How did the hub install go? It's tight in there and it looks like a bitch to get something in and out of there.

The area it mounts into is basically a flap than can be pulled towards the back seat, exposing the underside of the module. The biggest pain is figuring out by touch where the clips on the module are to detach the 2 connectors.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
If you're buying a new FiST or GTI ands haven't considered flying to save a couple thousand you're doing it wrong. GTIs can be had super reasonable in VA, and FiSTs have really weird local markets. Flying can be super cheap.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

howling_mad posted:

GTIs can be had super reasonable in VA

Tell me more. I just test drove one for the first time and I was completely floored. Was not expecting how nice it actually is.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Just bought a 2012 gti today and Jesus I can't get rid of these factory wheels quick enough why are they so ugly? Will anyone buy them from me or what?

Stock photo but those are the wheels I have lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh the horseshoes

"Alright guys we need to decide on the rim design for our sport variant- agressive, understated, what are we doing here"

"Hmmm I think they should be 'Quirky'; autosport enthusiasts will love it!"

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Huh, I like them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
They weigh like 45 pounds each.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

howling_mad posted:

If you're buying a new FiST or GTI ands haven't considered flying to save a couple thousand you're doing it wrong. GTIs can be had super reasonable in VA, and FiSTs have really weird local markets. Flying can be super cheap.

I've traveled to get more than one car - Is there someone that has already done the work to aggregate pricing data across the country?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

at one point the Mk 7 was going to drop in the US with wheels that basically looked exactly like a swastika until US product planners were like ehhh please don't

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I love the horseshoe wheels. I wish my GLI came with them. I find the ones I got on it to be a bit boring.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

howling_mad posted:

I was in this boat. The VA/DC dealers have some low prices because they don't include freight or dealer fees. It's easily another 1,200-1,500 on top. I was able to get a local deal within a few hundred.

It's also pulling teeth to get a written quote from those dealers, so be a little wary if you're about to fly hours away on a salesmans promise they won't jack the price.

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde
I had the same wheels on my 2008 GTI. At first I wasn't all that knocked out about them but, after a while, they kind of grew on me.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
All the internet pricing I've seen includes all promotions, so add on another $1,000 if you don't already own a VW.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

How do you guys think these (18 in.) would look on my gti?

https://www.carid.com/niche-wheels/...aVoYaAgZq8P8HAQ

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I think they'd look nice if you get rid of the pinstripe. I didn't know people still put those on cars. Yikes.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Wamsutta posted:

I think they'd look nice if you get rid of the pinstripe. I didn't know people still put those on cars. Yikes.

Yeah one of the salesmen at the dealership asked me if I liked them. I said no and he said "oh dang i put them on just yesterday".

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I think they look dope, but when you get wheels like that you have to get springs or coilovers because wheelgap really makes them look a bit goofy. And I don't mean going slammed or hellaflush, just a bit of a drop to get the wheel wells closer to the tires.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Traded in my 2002 Mk4 VW GTi, 1.8t 5spd manual for a '15 BMW 228i.
... I'm having some serious feelings of regret. I miss my little buddy so much. :cry:

It had 125k on the clock and absolutely needed new suspension and a new clutch plate.
The windshield washer fluid pump was dead, had a misfire, seats were blowing up at the stitching, soft touch was disgusting, clutch pedal was getting to EOL, etc etc...
But dammit, I just felt so connected to that dang thing.

I'm actually thinking of test driving a Mk7 and seeing if I can get a good trade in deal for the bimmer... It's so dumb but I didn't think I'd be so attached to a hatch.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

gvibes posted:

Do you have the manual or dsg on the GTI? There is an auto mode on the dsg, right? I need a wrx replacement that someone who can't drive a stick can drive.

DSG. I seriously considered the manual for the fun factor, but I've never driven one before and I figured going from my previous car to this one would already be a huge 'fun factor' upgrade.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ordered a tune from Tune+ I'll let you other RS guys know how it goes

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Out of boredom tonight I searched online for used Focus STs. Came across a 2016 with 33k miles already :stonk: and noticed the car fax says it was a fleet vehicle. By the looks of the original titling the car was likely owned by ford corporate.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but should people generally stay away from used cars classified as "fleet vehicles"?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I received our custom plates for the GTI earlier this week and slapped them on after work yesterday.

It's my wife's car and she's from Southern France; go look it up, it's very appropriate especially when you dump the car into 3rd and suddenly find yourself doing 80mph. :v:

Fake edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral_(wind)

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 21, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mandals posted:

DSG. I seriously considered the manual for the fun factor, but I've never driven one before and I figured going from my previous car to this one would already be a huge 'fun factor' upgrade.

The GTI maybe isn't the best to learn on but learning manual when you can already drive isn't that hard.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KidDynamite posted:

Ordered a tune from Tune+ I'll let you other RS guys know how it goes

93 or E30? Any other mods on your RS? Please let me know how it goes, I'm trying to decide between Adam and Stratified for my tune when my RS gets here next week.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Bentai posted:

Out of boredom tonight I searched online for used Focus STs. Came across a 2016 with 33k miles already :stonk: and noticed the car fax says it was a fleet vehicle. By the looks of the original titling the car was likely owned by ford corporate.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but should people generally stay away from used cars classified as "fleet vehicles"?

It might have been a parts running car ? Isn't always bad since it isn't that high of miles and consistent driving keeps moisture out of the oil and seals fresh. Might be worth looking at if the price is decent.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Arishtat posted:

I received our custom plates for the GTI earlier this week and slapped them on after work yesterday.

It's my wife's car and she's from Southern France; go look it up, it's very appropriate especially when you dump the car into 3rd and suddenly find yourself doing 80mph. :v:

Fake edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral_(wind)

I like the Maryland flag but I do not like the new Maryland plates for some reason. Not that I really like the 1812 plates either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

It might have been a parts running car ? Isn't always bad since it isn't that high of miles and consistent driving keeps moisture out of the oil and seals fresh. Might be worth looking at if the price is decent.

buddy don't be an idiot you would not use a FoST as a parts runner

I'm guessing it was owned by an OEM field rep if it looks like it was Ford corporate owned and has 33k miles in a year and change. It was probably well maintained according to schedule, but may have been beat on fairly bad.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Bentai posted:

I've had good luck with a fleet Corolla and a fleet Versa. But please refer to the key word: luck. On the plus side is been maintained and probably has a lot of highway miles. I'm sure it's been driven plenty exuberantly, but most of these used hatches have, soooo. You're right to listen to folks and be cautious, but if you're feeling lucky and can afford risking some early maintenance, then have at it!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PabloBOOM posted:

I've had good luck with a fleet Corolla and a fleet Versa. But please refer to the key word: luck. On the plus side is been maintained and probably has a lot of highway miles. I'm sure it's been driven plenty exuberantly, but most of these used hatches have, soooo. You're right to listen to folks and be cautious, but if you're feeling lucky and can afford risking some early maintenance, then have at it!

I wouldn't buy a manual "fleet" vehicle. Auto, maybe.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

Agreed. Any manual fleet vehicle is going to have all kinds of poo poo done to it that you wouldn't do with your own car, especially a performance oriented one. I'd love to do some high RPM clutch drops with my FiST but I need to keep it for a while so no can do.

That said, even buying a used FiST, it being a performance oriented car, they are all going to be run hard. This isn't a car that grandmas buy, and no one buys it to drive gently.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

PaintVagrant posted:

Solid reasoning. All my luck was with absolutely awful automatics, after all.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just a baked-in risk with buying a performance variant car with a manual transmission- nobody is buying that by accident. They're buying it because they're gonna drive it.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anywhere to keep an eye on for sales on a JB1 or one of the at home tune kits for MK7 GTIs? I have checked around a few sites and it seems like other categories frequently go on sale, but the prices for JB1 and tunes seem to be highly regulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

Is there anywhere to keep an eye on for sales on a JB1 or one of the at home tune kits for MK7 GTIs? I have checked around a few sites and it seems like other categories frequently go on sale, but the prices for JB1 and tunes seem to be highly regulated.

when the jb4 came out the jb1s could be had by people for half price. check FB groups.