Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've had a 2011 gti for about two years now and it's been nearly flawless. Got it at 23k miles, now approaching 60. Only issue was a check engine light around 50k that ended up being a manifold issue that vw covered at no charge.

Edit, was 33k, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The logo fell off my key fob. I think I'm doing this right?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Nuts and Gum posted:

Seems like a reasonable purchase. Hopefully it has some maintenance records? If not you may have an intake manifold replacement coming up soon, approx. $900 if the dealer does it.

I had the intake issue on my 2011 happen about six months ago and even though the car is very out of warranty it was no charge at the dealership. Apparently vw extended for that specifically? I don't know for sure, I was just happy to not have a bill.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Warbird posted:

No really, what is that?

Basically the golf version of a fiesta, but a little smaller. They don't sell them in na. Small city car.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've been carting around my buddy's pup for the last week. He's just heavy enough to trigger the seat belt alarm on the passengers side in my mk6 gti. Is not exactly the worst, but it's kind of annoying. Is there any way to disable that warning? Here's a dog picture tribute.

Edit for apparently doxxing my friend via dog collar

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 16, 2019

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

It is Pubert. Also I'm going to remove that picture for my buddy's sake. New Pubert picture in place

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 16, 2019

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

revmoo posted:

I turned the seatbelt warning off w/ VCDS. SO much better. I don't even get a light anymore.

I'll have to look into this, sounds pretty cool. Thanks!

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The truth is in the middle, as slate/gun metal gray is the best color for a gti.

mines black

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I bought a 2011 mk6 about 2.5 years ago and it's been mostly perfect. Had a code pop up about a manifold problem, but vw had extended the warranty and it was fixed for free. Super smooth other than that. Though I did buy it with 32.5k miles. Just turned over to 66k and been loving it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

quote:

alltrack talk

Dude I work with has a buddy that owns a high end tuning shop. He somehow managed to snag the engine from an Audi rs8 and dropped it into a standard looking alltrack. Zero visible changes sans a small lowering from the shocks and whatnot he added.

He just goes around town blowing the doors off of Microsoft yuppies in their Porsche and BMW in a 600+hp sleeper VW

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the emissions situation like up in WA? Standalone ECUs pass or is it strict?

Totally depends on the county. I live in whatcom and have never had to deal with it. I know people in King and it's a weird thing that needs to get done, but they relax the standards the older your car is

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My understanding is that he has a connect in Canada that salvages and parts out wrecked Audis.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Look, this was a couple months back, so I might be remembering the exact model wrong. This dude has zero reason to lie, I just know it was some Audi you can't get stateside and was around 600 hp.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

wolrah posted:

FYI, what bcoCOMG means by impossibly rare is that no RS8 has ever been officially produced. One prototype has been confirmed to exist (https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/audis-stillborn-rs8-prototype-shows-what-an-rs-super-limo-could-look-like/) but the RS7 is the highest one that's ever actually been built.

Also as noted putting that drivetrain in to anything on the Golf platform would be a project on the order of the Nissan Juke-R, you'd pretty much just have to shorten a RS7 and make an Alltrack body fit on top.

That's not to say he might not have a seriously powerful sleeper Alltrack using Canadian parts. HPA Motorsports just outside of Vancouver is famous for cramming a bunch of boost in to a Passat R36 drivetrain and bolting that all in to something on the Golf platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6SYG37uHiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnR6FBRC0F4

If I had money to burn I think having them work their magic on an Alltrack and keeping it as stock as possible externally would be hilarious.

Like I said, I (or the dude who told me) might have hosed up on the actual engine. Also the guy who made it owns a multi million dollar, massive tuning shop, and builds sleepers as a hobby. If I hosed up the engine, sorry. The point remains that it kicks rear end.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

no, no, she really does go to another school!

For fucks sake. No need to be a cock about this. I hosed up a minor detail of an interesting story, and owned up to it. Chill the gently caress out.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My stock (to my knowledge) mk6 gti shows it's actually 1 mph faster than the speedo/cruise control says. Ain't too worried.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

latinotwink1997 posted:

Where do you get this checked and how much does it normally cost?

Just from Google maps showing me the speed as I have it on cruise. That or those stupid roadside speedo things that yell at you to slow down. Not exactly high tech, but it's always exactly 1 over what the cruise says.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Do the mk7s really have that small of a tank? I've got a 6 and have put in nearly 14 when super low

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Weird they would drop the size. The 6 has 14.5 gallon according to the internet

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

On Android, and I would assume something similar on iOS, I can just voice command pause if that helps. Just "ok Google, pause music"

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've been driving a mk6 gti for the last few years, and just had mom ask me to drive her 08 mini s to get it some miles since she bought a new car. Holy poo poo that little thing is a rocket. Ride wise I vastly prefer the vw, but that little mini goes like hell. The interior is baffling and the ride is a bit hard, but that little bastard is fun as poo poo. I'd take my car for a long distance drive any day, but the mini is fun as gently caress

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

More general vehicle question incoming. To offset my unemployment I started doing food/beer delivery for a local brewery. The company van wasn't starting and we were way behind, so I took an order in my gti. The loving cap blew off a growler of oatmeal stout, emptying the 64oz of beer onto the floor in my backseat. Anyone have recommendations for small, powerful carpet shampooer you can rent? My car smells like rotten soy sauce dumped into a hangover.

Tried doing some research at home depot and whatnot, but most places aren't even doing rentals right now.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

taqueso posted:

Did you try supermarkets? I always see them in cages near the service counter.

I would suggest asking the company to pay for a detailer to clean it up

The grocery stores around here only have the big gently caress off upright ones that you use to clean an apartment or something. If the depot near me had any it was only like 16 bucks or something for a rental. Just kinda seeing if anyone has had experience with the hand ones I could fit in a two door back seat easily

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Thanks for the advice, I finally found one at ace hardware and went to town on it the other day. Took like three hours, but the smell is 90% gone now.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I sprayed some ozium in there if that counts.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The lady just bought my mom's old 08 Cooper s. We're now a hot hatch house.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My mk6 GTI driver seatbelt connector has been having some issues lately. Sometimes even after clicking in it can just pop back out. I've skirted the issue by just giving it a tug to confirm it's actually engaged, but the problem seems to be getting worse. Is there any way to fix this, or should I just get a new one for like 80 bucks? Obviously I'd prefer to save some money and fix it, but seatbelts are kinda important and I'm not looking to half rear end something like that

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Ok Comboomer posted:

the worm turns (also dad’s more on board now that I talked to him)

My 2011 has less miles than that

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Awesome, the epc light just came on in my gti and I start my work week at 5 tomorrow.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

wzm posted:

I had issues there over the summer, and bought a VW specific OBDII dongle+app. In my case, it ended up being that the turbo waste gate wasn't behaving. VW only sells the complete turbo assembly, and the aftermarket will sell you a waste gate for a couple hundred bucks or a turbo+waste gate for a few hundred more. I hosed the linkage down with PB Blaster, wiped it off everything else, and drove it hard for a couple weeks, and the waste gate started opening properly again, and the engine stopped going into limp-home mode. Getting back there is kind of a pain, which was more of a concern then the cost of parts.

Thanks for the insight. Since it could be a bunch of different things I'm taking it in next Monday and we'll see what they have to say. Only driven like 3 miles since it came on, so dunno if it's limping.

Fortunately we were lazy and never got around to selling my lady's mini, so I can at least use that to get to work for a bit.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

nitsuga posted:

Sorry, mate. Keep us posted on your GTI.

Also, that Fit is looking properly mean now. Drum brakes in the back like the good old days too.

Will do on Monday. Fortunately I've got a decent amount of cash saved up at the moment.
Unfortunately it's because I'm getting married at the end of May. :lol:

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Rolo posted:

Hope they make a ton so I can see a bunch of cool goon hatch photos. buy a used one in five years

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Roundup Ready posted:

Awesome, the epc light just came on in my gti and I start my work week at 5 tomorrow.

Update, looks like two of my coils were pretty much shot, causing misfires. Getting all four replaced. Also have carbon buildup, but that was going to be something like 1300 bucks for the deep clean, so putting that off for a while. All said, about 500bux for the deep dive inspection and four new coils. Could have been a lot worse.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Alzabo posted:

My 2005 WRX was stolen, totaled and abandoned at a seattle homeless encampment back in December 2022. Called 20+ washington dealers in early january attempting to line up a refundable deposit on the GR Corolla. No dice on the deposit but several dealers put me as "first" on "the list", I didn't put much stock in it.

Reaching back out to these same dealer contacts since the reveal, several said I'm :airquote:still first on their list :airquote: and I was told to expect a call when they start taking deposits.

I'm not gonna hold my breath, but I hope to get my hands on a GR Corolla this year.

Damned time traveling car thieves

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Had to change my brake light in my mk 6 gti yesterday. What a pain in the rear end compared to literally every other light I've had to change that was like 3 seconds of "unplug thing, replace bulb, replug thing"

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Al-Saqr posted:

I guess I got bamboozled by the name and pedigree so I thought “oh they are an OG luxury Italian car company maybe they’re finely crafted reliable cars” but now I’m reading more and more online about how horrendously unreliable their recent more affordable models are and now I’m fully turned off by anything associated with them. Guess the hornets off the list until I see reviews about their reliability.

This is pretty old, but they used to have reputation for being great, fun cars, that basically turn into a pile of rusted scrap overnight. I dunno about the modern cars. However, the fact that they're small run Italian vehicles means repairs are probably going to suck.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

lol, chuckanut was one of the first places I took my gti when I bought it ~6 years ago. Love that road. Go do some fun curvey driving and stop by the longhorn/Edison for some snacks is a great day out

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Hatch related service question while I wait for the shop to call me back. I tried searching online, but didn't find anything right away.

I have a 2011 GTI, everything was running perfectly yesterday. This morning I try to go to the store and it won't start, no turnover or anything. Screams at me about my brakes and airbags, and needing service. I can't even roll up my windows or close my sunroof that I had cracked open last night.

Just looking for any idea what the gently caress could have happened. Thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Just throwing it out there, maybe battery or blown fuse?

I'll check the fuses, good call. My battery is pretty drat old, but it's been starting just fine until today. Thanks.