Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Also for defect dont listen to people who say echo is bad. echo breaks the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Just got my first win in Tangledeep. I was playing a melee build, which is apparently supposed to be harder, but with the right combination of brigand, paladin, and sword dancer skills I could parry/dodge/block just about everything. With bonus elemental resistance from the paladin job medal, i could heal through anything even though i was completely unprepared for how much damage the beams the final boss surrounds itself with deal

ps: please stop wearing my mother as a cape

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

atholbrose posted:

Anyone else take the plunge with Below? So far it's moody, dark and atmospheric, and gives you almost no information about anything. I usually play a roguelike alongside other games, but it seems like this one will demand a bit more attention.

Nope! I've been eyeballing it however. How's the procgen? It's probably the few set-pieces like the campfire and entrance skewing my impression, but the play I've observed the levels feels a bit familiar.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

megane posted:

Speaking of StS, how do you play the Defect effectively? I've won several times with both the other two, but Mr. Robot makes me want to pull my hair out. His cards are all over the loving place. How are you supposed to put together a deck that can actually kill poo poo instead of just desperately stalling and hoping the enemies die before you do?

Aside from the other decks people have already mentioned, you can also try to luck your way into Echo+Static Discharge (or just a lot of Static Discharges) and just crank out loads of lightning every time you get hit. Grab a Self Repair or two, obviously. My winning version that beat the penultimate boss was able to generate 10 per hit I took.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ToxicFrog posted:

It saw a lot of discussion over in the Prey thread when it came out, although the thread has now mostly moved on to Mimic Hunter.

I did find that as you play more Mooncrash and unlock more stuff, reaching Morganesque levels of absurd power is absolutely possible, between the permanent neuromod unlocks, randomly generated pre-modded weapons that are potentially much more powerful than anything in Prey proper like the psiblade, the friendly operator that can be used as a cross-character stash, and the ability to craft Rewinds and thus keep the corruption level as low as you want basically forever.

Basic Chunnel has been working on a set of optional conducts for Mooncrash to mitigate this.

Thanks, I've only done a couple of runs so far, so none of that has become apparent yet. Lurking around as the volunteer and having to rely on luring enemies to stashes of O2 tanks and then blowing them up with my scant handful of bullets has so far been a lot of fun. It's too bad it doesn't stay that tense.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

LordSloth posted:

Nope! I've been eyeballing it however. How's the procgen? It's probably the few set-pieces like the campfire and entrance skewing my impression, but the play I've observed the levels feels a bit familiar.

It's subtle, and I can see where you're coming from. There's preset things like the main entrance and its shortcut, and then there's stuff like on the first level, on a specific screen, there's always a cave entrance that leads into a little waterfall cave, or how that staircase down you opened up remains open, and so on. It's also dark and foggy, which keeps things a bit indistinct. The second level is a little more complex, so you can see how it's arranged differently as you're doing a corpse run because you stepped on yet another goddamned spike trap, for instance.

I haven't played much more than when I first posted. After my last corpse run, I switched screens to save and stopped for the night.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

Aside from the other decks people have already mentioned, you can also try to luck your way into Echo+Static Discharge (or just a lot of Static Discharges) and just crank out loads of lightning every time you get hit. Grab a Self Repair or two, obviously. My winning version that beat the penultimate boss was able to generate 10 per hit I took.

This and Electro...whatever power it is that makes lightning hit all enemies is devastating. The Defect clicked for me mire than the other two, and when it gets rolling, has an almost BoI style "everything is going insane and dying around me" quality.

Creative AI is a necessary card for my runs. Drawing a random power every turn gets broken with Thunderstorm.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Here's another one I got from the devs and wouldn't have ever known about if y'all hadn't put me on it. So thanks for helping me find a new way to get shot to death over and over and over (and sometimes crushed by some weird crystal thing).

:tfrxmas: Roguemas IV: (D)eck the Halls :tfrxmas:

On the seventh day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

Seven cyborgs scanning (SYNTHETIK)
Six guards a-glitching (Heat Signature)
FIVE BASIC BLOCKS (Slay the Spire)
Four counter-hacks (868-HACK)
Three lost ships (Everspace)
Two thirsty drones (Monolith)
And an eye for our hero to see (Unexplored)

How often do you think about reloading in shooters? For many it’s an unconscious action, for others it’s an obsessive reflex during lulls in the action. Making it a more active part of the experience may sound like a misstep, but if games like Receiver have taught us anything it’s that mastering crunchy mechanics can be intensely gratifying. SYNTHETIK knows this, and is built around fostering just that kind of mastery. And it’s not just mastery of its expansive weapon systems, either. To succeed here you need to understand the gunplay, the class capabilities, the item pickups, the foes you face, and more. It’s a tall order, but one that delivers a singular experience once you crack into it.

The Kaida Corporation has long been the dominant force in commercial robotics, and today they’re moving to become the dominant force in the world. Their machine legions are marching across the globe on a quest to quell resistance, but the one who has a chance to stop them is closer than they think. You are a Kaida prototype android with a conscience, in the right place at the right time to raid the company’s headquarters and shut down the Heart of Armageddon. They’re not going to take this lying down, of course, so you’ll want to bring a few catastrophically powerful guns, missiles, grenades, and other deadly accouterments to ensure the destruction of anything in your path.

Top-down shooters are the new bedrock of the roguelike genre, but this one has a rather distinct feel from most. You’ve got a slower, more thoughtful pace to your movement here, accompanied with a near-instantaneous dodge for hairy situations. Enemies are similarly reserved, creeping up on you with weapons trained and laying down fire from safe vantage points. It feels much more tactical than the baseline, encouraging you to aim carefully and consider every shot, as well as when best to break out your special ordnance. Having regenerating shields atop your health also has a hand in slowing down the pace, giving you the chance to recover your defenses if a fight goes wrong.

The real heart of the experience is the gunplay though, and you’ll find a far more involved experience here than with just about any other roguelike. For starters, you can’t just mash R to reload your weapons. You have to first hit E to eject your magazine, then hit R to insert a new one, and you can hit it again at the right time while the reload bar is filling to speed up the process. Oh, and there’s the added bit of realism that you throw away any remaining bullets in a magazine when you eject it. These might sound like annoyances but in SYNTHETIK they work as points of immersion to draw you further into the game. The added attention on operating your weapon helps ground the game and make the tasks more identifiable, as well as more gratifying when you nail a process.

There’s more, of course, like having to aim for headshots in a 2D game, clearing weapon jams, and managing heat buildup. But the point should be clear, that you need to prepare to put some effort into using your guns. The reward for that effort is over 80 weapons to play with, everything from compact handguns to anti-aircraft LMGs. Each gun has been lovingly crafted, given a rarity like Diablo, and assigned stats to peruse. Weapons (and yourself) can also be upgraded with new perks and effects, allowing extremely deep weapon customization without the need for a crafting system. Item pickups are just as well thought-of, with powerful but balanced effects like missile barrages and orbital lasers.

You have all the tools you need for strong, creative attacks on cyborg encampments, and you’d better believe your enemies have something to say about it. Troops can carry much the same rifles, shotguns, and grenades that you do, and they’ve got all kinds of drones and tanks to back them up, too. Battles are messy and chaotic unless you’re the smoothest of operators, but regardless the field will be littered with fragments and oil by the time you’re done. There are eight classes you can take into battle for this, each with their own unique ways to best take out foes. You’ve got snipers with strong single-shots, riot patrols with natural defenses, and even classes that emphasize stealth and melee assassinations. You’ll even score meta-progression in the form of new passive perks for playing a class enough.

Add in highly-customizable difficulty and loads of unlocks, and it’s not hard to see SYNTHETIK as a significant step forward for the genre. It’s not going to convince folks that want their shooting swift and simple, but for everyone else the tactical moves you make here are just so gratifying. I love clearing a jam or slamming in a new mag just in time to dump incendiary rounds into a patrol. I get the feeling you will too, if you give this one a chance. SYNTHETIK has expanded shooter mechanics in some exciting ways, and wrapped those innovations in a deep and rewarding game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A few things to note as I was reading that review:
  • While weapons have rarities as per Diablo, there's no smorgasbord of stat modifiers like you might be thinking. Each weapon's stats are manually set, and then a single random modifier is applied to it. For example, the Mil-Spec modifier means the weapon never jams, the Factory New modifier gives a small damage bonus, and the Burst+ modifier means the weapon fires an extra bullet with each click (on top of any existing burst mode the weapon might have). So when you find a weapon that you've seen before, you'll know what you're in for; it'll just behave a little differently depending on which modifier it got.
  • The perks mentioned are a variety of minor modifiers that you can choose from. They won't make or break a run, they just encourage playing in certain ways or give you a bit more power/safety. For example, one perk makes armor shards (which absorb 1 hit and then disappear) more common, while another boosts your damage when your weapon's heat bar is nearly full.
  • It really bears emphasizing how polished the core gameplay is. The weapons just feel fantastic to use. Getting an overpenetrating headshot with a sniper rifle, unloading a barrage of buckshot into a sentry, even just carefully picking off targets with your starting pistol, all great.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Thanks, I've only done a couple of runs so far, so none of that has become apparent yet. Lurking around as the volunteer and having to rely on luring enemies to stashes of O2 tanks and then blowing them up with my scant handful of bullets has so far been a lot of fun. It's too bad it doesn't stay that tense.

I mean, it can stay that tense even in the late-game, but you just have to impose some restrictions like not using the stash and restricting your crafting to items that are merely useful rather than items that completely break the poo poo out of them game.

Although there's also a certain joy in a run of Mooncrash where you just completely stomp all over everything.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's nothing like the feeling of decapitating those rear end in a top hat timecop robots from a mile away with your tricked-out anime anti-materiel rifle. I think I cracked 16000 damage at one point (for reference, they have somewhere around 1000 HP).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

OutOfPrint posted:

Creative AI is a necessary card for my runs. Drawing a random power every turn gets broken with Thunderstorm.

creative ai is one of the few cards i have taken one time and immediately gone "nope, never again." i loving hated it.

post some good things to do with creative ai in case i end up with it again sometime

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I got around to buying Slay the Spire and this game is just fantastic. We talked a bit the other day about how this game doesn't waste your time, it really really doesn't, it gets instantly to the point and lets you get into the meat of gameplay with no latency whatsoever. :allears:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A few things to note as I was reading that review:
  • While weapons have rarities as per Diablo, there's no smorgasbord of stat modifiers like you might be thinking. Each weapon's stats are manually set, and then a single random modifier is applied to it. For example, the Mil-Spec modifier means the weapon never jams, the Factory New modifier gives a small damage bonus, and the Burst+ modifier means the weapon fires an extra bullet with each click (on top of any existing burst mode the weapon might have). So when you find a weapon that you've seen before, you'll know what you're in for; it'll just behave a little differently depending on which modifier it got.
  • The perks mentioned are a variety of minor modifiers that you can choose from. They won't make or break a run, they just encourage playing in certain ways or give you a bit more power/safety. For example, one perk makes armor shards (which absorb 1 hit and then disappear) more common, while another boosts your damage when your weapon's heat bar is nearly full.
  • It really bears emphasizing how polished the core gameplay is. The weapons just feel fantastic to use. Getting an overpenetrating headshot with a sniper rifle, unloading a barrage of buckshot into a sentry, even just carefully picking off targets with your starting pistol, all great.

On the other hand, the devs are really weird about controller support, insisting that it's prohibitively difficult to remap controllers (?) and that's why "basically nobody" does it (!?).

It'd be really nice to be able to use controllers in the way they were apparently intended, because not only am I better at fine top-down aiming with a controller, but these are my option for using a mouse for gameplay:

They're not great, obviously.

And for more info on controller issues: You can't actually remap the controllers from the controller remapping menu despite it saying you can, any button you press during the process acts like you weren't in a menu at all, and the default controller maps the same button to ejecting a magazine and swapping ammo types, so you're bouncing between available ammo constantly.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 15, 2018

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Mummified hand is pretty much required for creative AI to really take off, but on its own it can at least be a good way to scale for the act bosses if your deck is lacking in that regard. You also desperately need to upgrade it and ideally also have an energy relic or two. Storm is also very good with it so it turns all those powers into immediate value.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Creative AI is incredibly slow. If you don’t already have power synergies (Mummified Hand, Bird Faced Urn, Heatsinks, or Storm) it’s going to probably be actively deleterious unless you hit a nut with it like Echo Form.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Awesome! posted:

creative ai is one of the few cards i have taken one time and immediately gone "nope, never again." i loving hated it.

post some good things to do with creative ai in case i end up with it again sometime

After reading stuff people said I finally won with Creative AI / Storm / Static Discharge / Bird-Faced Urn / Electrodynamics / Defragment / Heatsinks / every other power I could find. I barely even blocked anything, I just played 3 powers a turn, face-tanked all the attacks, and survived off the healing from the urn and Self-Repair while all the lightning orbs killed stuff. :shrug:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Lee posted:

It'd be really nice to be able to use controllers in the way they were apparently intended, because not only am I better at fine top-down aiming with a controller, but these are my option for using a mouse for gameplay:

They're not great, obviously.
You know, desks really aren't that expensive.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

You know, desks really aren't that expensive.

I'm very poor, and also I own a desk, I just can't use it because my living space has been unfinished for a while. I'm supposed to be living in this mother-in-law suite, but the previous owners of the house smashed up the place before I left and the guy who's supposed to fix it up for me has been working ten to twelve hour days, and understandably isn't in the mood for elaborate home repairs. I've been living on a bare mattress on a bare concrete floor for like six months now, surrounded by boxes, and dammit I deserve to be able to remap my friggin' top-down shooter controls, okay

edit: yes, I'm poor and own a laptop (no desktop), I saved up for three months after my previous machine's screen broke.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I made it all the way to the end of the third stage in Slay the Spire The Awakened (spoilered if it matters) with a Defect build that had three Buffer+s, an Echo Form, and loads of card cycling and a Mummified Hand. While fighting the third boss, about halfway through the fight all my power cards stopped showing up. I checked both my draw pile and discard pile, nope, all my Buffers are gone. Does that boss eat my power cards when its passive gets triggered? Very confused here, I was cruising to an easy victory and then the linchpin of my deck just vanishes.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I made it all the way to the end of the third stage in Slay the Spire The Awakened (spoilered if it matters) with a Defect build that had three Buffer+s, an Echo Form, and loads of card cycling and a Mummified Hand. While fighting the third boss, about halfway through the fight all my power cards stopped showing up. I checked both my draw pile and discard pile, nope, all my Buffers are gone. Does that boss eat my power cards when its passive gets triggered? Very confused here, I was cruising to an easy victory and then the linchpin of my deck just vanishes.

Powers don't get discarded when played, they stay in play. You don't get to play powers over and over, in other words. This is what differentiates them from skills, which are discarded or exhausted when played.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Figures. Up until that point I'd been crushing fights fast enough that I didn't actually notice powers being consumed. That plus having three Buffers and always having one in hand helped me overlook that they were disappearing up until I got into a 15+ round fight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

John Lee posted:

On the other hand, the devs are really weird about controller support, insisting that it's prohibitively difficult to remap controllers (?) and that's why "basically nobody" does it (!?).

I've played a lot of games that didn't let you remap controllers, or did but were perplexingly bad at it, but they're probably still in the minority.

And last time I needed to write a basic controller remapping screen it took me about an hour including testing.

In short, wtf?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

I've played a lot of games that didn't let you remap controllers, or did but were perplexingly bad at it, but they're probably still in the minority.

And last time I needed to write a basic controller remapping screen it took me about an hour including testing.

In short, wtf?

Yeah, it's super weird. Like, I'm sympathetic to the fact that it's not their priority, but if you don't want people using controllers, don't have controller support, don't let me stare at a useless button rebinding screen that does nothing. Found this old pic, for reference:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mithross posted:

Speaking of Prey, you can get it and Mooncrash for $20 on steam right now as a bundle. The deal lasts through the 20th.

this is a VERY GOOD DEAL for anyone who doesn't own it yet

regular Prey is a bunch of hours of fun, Mooncrash is imo even more

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also, the next time you fight that guy... it's a two-phase fight, and the second phase is a lot nastier than the first. If you use your powers in the first phase, the strength buff carries over, so try and avoid doing that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

How come you put eggs on your couch

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
twinsticks on mouse never work for me cuz I expect my movement directions to be relative to my crosshair facing, like in an fps, but instead w is just up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Didn't goldeneye have completely remappable controls like 20 years ago? I guess building a UI to do that would be effort but it's silly to pretend its an insurmountable technology limitation

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

My Defect strategy is to slam as many powers as possible. The three energy cast cost isn't great, but once it gets rolling, you become an unstoppable mass of poo poo happening what makes enemies disappear.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nah, Goldeneye had like six different control schemes you could pick from, half of which used two controllers per player so you could get two analog sticks.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
my emulators have remappable gamepad controls

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
if you use a steam controller you can remap its inputs to do literally whatever you want. Some of the input configs schemed up by users are ludicrously complicated. Not that most of them are any good - I end up using either the top community config or one of the steam defaults plus mild tweaks in 90% of games I play with the controller - but you can get really arcane if you want to.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

Didn't goldeneye have completely remappable controls like 20 years ago? I guess building a UI to do that would be effort but it's silly to pretend its an insurmountable technology limitation

when sane people say that rebinding for controllers is hard, they mean handling rebinding for any conceivable controller somebody might plug in. if you narrow down your support to xbox, playstation, and PC controllers that follow the unofficial conventions for button mapping (which, unless you're trying to support a flightstick from 1993 or something, is effectively all of them), suddenly it's not a hard problem at all. even at the height of bad coding where you hardcode checks for specific buttons all throughout the game (for whatever lazy reasons you might do such a thing) i can't imagine that pulling those out into bindings instead would be too hard. low enough priority that a lovely port of a console game like gears of war wouldn't bother, maybe, but not insurmountable

i think that there might be game development tools out there that actually do make it a pain though because there are a baffling number of games that:

1. are oriented almost exclusively toward the xbox controller
2. don't allow rebinding at all

for no reason that can be traced to the actual hardware interface

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 16, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been playing Slay the Spire basically all day.

Defect is definitely my favorite so far, despite getting my first win with an Ironclad with a ridiculous 12-card deck (3 Flex + 2 Anger + Dropkicks + Bash/Uppercut/Thunderclap) + Runic Pyramid. The poo poo I can pull off with Defect feels a lot more organic and spontaneous compared to what Ironclad/Silent can do (at least before the unlocks, if applicable) where it feels a bit more predesigned combos.

Really enjoying the game so far.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have seen the promised land that is defect with unceasing top, bag of marbles and a deck of nothing but claws and beam cells.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is there not a Slay the Spire thread so people aren't continually talking about a card game in the roguelikes thread?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why dont you make a post about a game that you would like to talk about instead of just whining about what we are talking about?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

packetmantis posted:

Is there not a Slay the Spire thread so people aren't continually talking about a card game in the roguelikes thread?

As a former developer and ongoing enthusiast of the genre I assure you that Slay the Spire is a roguelike and meets the majority of the criteria in the Berlin interpretation.

The genre is evolving in accord with the growing public interest in it, evolve or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
unceasing top is what i call my girlfriend