Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

uPen posted:

Anyone played Delver? It's billing itself as an 'action roguelike dungeon crawl' but it just looks like minecraft with permadeath.

Having played the beta backed when it was posted in the last RL thread, from my experience it's not worth 8 dollars. It's repetitive and has bad controls and barely qualifies as action. I honestly cannot recommend it because everything I've seen regarding this paid version looks like the old beta, it doesn't look like anything's different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started in Sil?

First of all, go Noldor. Noldor have the best base stats and are the easiest race to play and having a blade proficiency is very nice. For stats, you should choose stats that reflect the kind of build you're thinking of going for. If you want to be a more traditional hack and slash kind of elf, I'd take 3 str 4 dex 4 con 3 grace, then invest 1000 to 1500 of my starting XP into both melee and evasion. If you take a Noldor of Feanor consider taking points into smithing too, as it can be a great way to bootstrap yourself if you miss good starting equipment. Getting 6 skill points in smithing before the 100' foot forge will let you take both armorsmith and artistry, which will let you add extra stat points onto the armor you craft. A shield, some studded leather armor and a +2 Cloak are all useful if you haven't found any yet. You can also go enchanting instead of artistry (which is what I've been doing lately) and craft gloves of the forge, a cloak of protection or a shield of deflection and a helm of brilliance. The helm is especially nice since it adds to your light radius meaning even while using a torch you have a light radius of 2.

If you go for a stealth character you'll still want to put at least 4 points into dex, if not 5. Dexterity is easily the most important stat, as it improves your ability to dodge, hit and sneak. Strength mainly just adds extra sides to your hit dies, which is still useful, but dexterity is just that good. I honestly don't have much to say about stealth, however, because I almost never play it :shobon:

Other then that, remember that the more dice a weapon has (i.e. 4d3) the less likely it is to crit and vice versa. So if you want a sneaky, stabby dude using weapons like shortswords allows for more crits. Also, three other big suggestions I have. If you see a purple lower case m DO NOT ATTACK IT. DO NOT LOOK AT IT. RUN AWAY. They drain your constitution, and that means losing HP until you find a way to restore it. Second, be careful if you see strange darkness. If you enter a lit room and there's a blob of darkness in the corner, be careful. But the biggest suggestion I can give is that you should never hesitate to run away and dash up or down a set of stairs. When I finally got this idea drilled into my head, my average floor of death went from 300' to 650'. If you ever feel unconfident or overwhelmed RUN AWAY. Stairs are your friend and it pays to know where the nearest staircase is.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Yeah, learning to pick your battles is key. I actually play a fighter, both as noldor and as an edain of hador, but you still need to know when to run. Never fight orcs unless you are literally unable to avoid them (trapped with low perception, for example) until you get yourself some armor. Avoid orc archers until you have a decent base armor score (not sure how much, but I find once I have a full kit of shield/chest armor/boots/gloves/helm their arrows tend to do nothing). Spiders are incredibly dangerous, especially for a new character. They're fast and hit hard, so only engage if you have to or if you're feeling confident. As people have said, avoid being surrounded. It also helps to know how some enemies think- for example orcs and most humanoid enemies will tend to hide at the end of 1 square tunnels rather then chase after you, or will try and send a few guys around to flank you, so if you run into a tunnel you can get a breather. However, if you fall below something like half health they'll starting getting aggressive and chase you down regardless. Some enemies, like wolves will chase you regardless until they take too much damage. Learning how enemies react in certain situations can be important, especially if you're playing a fighter.

Also there ARE consumables that heal you. If you find "murky brown potions" those are orc liquor, which heal something like 10 HP on average but these stun you. Stun lowers all skills by 1, and it stacks, so be careful. There are also herbs of healing but don't rely on finding any.

As was mentioned earlier, continue dumping EXP into your two or three primary skills by pressing '@' and then 'i'. Fighter? Keep increasing Melee and evasion. Stealth? Evasion and Stealth. Once you get a better hang of the game you can diversify, for example- are invisible enemies annoying you? Grab some perception. Have plenty of grace and want some good buffs or regen? Try putting to points into song.

One last thing, if you find a [special] weapon keep an eye on it in your inventory if it doesn't auto ID. There are a couple brands a weapon can have, like Doriath or Gondolin (and what that starts with an N I can never remember) which do increased damage to certain enemies, and much like Sting glow blue when they're near enemies they harm (in your hand or in your inventory). Knowing you have a long sword of Doriath to whip out when you run into wargs or a sword spider is really useful, as just getting hit might cause them to flee.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

uPen posted:

gently caress nether-worms forever.

:staredog:

I had a great game going today, I even found a mail corselet of resilience and gloves of strength (good for my fighter at least) but then I fell down a hatch trap and got surrounded by werewolves, raukos and cavetrolls :argh: Still, I'm glad I haven't had to deal with a breeder explosion like that.

Anyone have any recommendations on the best combat skills to take in sil? I had some great synergy going with knock back+blocking because I could punt an enemy away and the rest a turn to gain a huge bonus to my defenses, but I'm never 100% confident I'm choosing smart. Usually I just go power and then grab follow through but I may stick with knock back. Knock back with charge seems like another very obvious combo, I may try that.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

My experience with the Alpha led me to believe that it's not a very good roguelike, and it's not a very good brawler. Played by myself so maybe it's a good party game?

Going to agree with this. As a person who loves beat-em-ups and loves roguelikes, Legend of Dungeon fails to deliver on both counts. Andrew Smash has the right idea, if you're looking for an actiony rougelike-ish game, Rogue Legacy is far better from my experience.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Dredmor has a lot of problems. Last time I sat down and tried to play in earnest I just got so bored and frustrated. Crafting is utterly useless because by like floor 6 any weapon you find will do much more damage then anything you could craft. The game is slow and clunky and levels are way too huge. Even on small level mode the levels take too long to clear (not to mention small levels is broken and nearly impossible past a certain point). Even after like 10 hours on one character and playing pretty normally, I still didn't even get close to reaching the half way point. It's mindless and there's no long term goals other than "look for better item" and "kill monsters". In a game like Adom or Crawl I always have an idea of where I want to go next or what I need to prepare to get ready. Do I need to get the ring of high kings? What do I need to prepare to get that item? Stuff like that. Dredmor is directionless (or, I suppose, one direction-down) and feels lifeless and dull once you realize once you've cleared the first three levels all you're going to see is the same things but recolored. Dredmor might have some charm and nice art but I'd say to anyone who's new to RLs to try Crawl.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

quiggy stardust posted:

I realize I'm the game's biggest fangirl ever but seriously anybody looking to get into roguelikes should hunt down the DS Shiren the Wanderer, it has everything you could possibly want from an introduction to the genre.

Eh, Shiren is a good mystery dungeon game but I think a great newbie roguelike is Powder. That's what got me first interested into the genre, it's not too complicated and has a lot of the aspects of more complex roguelikes without getting too complicated.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

So in ADOM on Friday the 13th any new character starts cursed. It's cute but also basically impossible to survive cursed at level 1.

You could always roll the master race of a human barbarian and start with an amulet of luck, negating this. I'm pretty sure nethack does something similar anyway.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Whatever happened to A Valley Without Wind 2? I tried the demo and it was disappointingly bad. Did they just abandon it or are they still working on it?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

So I bought and actually beat the Dungeon of the Endless Alpha the other day. Seems pretty interesting so far. As was mentioned earlier, the game is a strange amalgamation of roguelike and tower defense game. The big mechanic is that you have a crystal you need to protect and bring down lower and lower into the dungeon and as you kill enemies you gain "dust". Every ten dust lets you send power to a room, which will have minor nodes (for turrets) and major nodes, which produces either food or industry. Food is used to heal and level up your heroes, while industry buys new buildings.

The game has a vague aspect of Desktop Dungeons in that the only way you generate more resources, or have enemy waves spawn, is by opening doors. Opening doors reveals new rooms to light, which can have resources, items, blue prints or monsters in them. Also, monster waves will only spawn in rooms you've opened so you can actually create a maze by specifically not opening certain doors to funnel monsters down a specific path. Your heroes come in a couple of different flavors although a lot of the melee heroes blend together as "fast and hard hitting but can't take a hit". It's certainly a 0.1 alpha right now, but it's playable and with more dungeon levels, monsters and heroes along with adding science and research I think it has some great potential. It can be quite hard if you roll bad characters and if one monsters whacks your crystal one to many times you can really death spiral. All in all, I don't mind that I spent nine bucks on it, and if a sort of real time tower defence-ish RL is appealing I'd recommend it, or at least peeping some youtube vids. Only issue I've really had is it doesn't seem to have a windowed mode.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 14, 2013

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I've never heard of Infra Arcana before. It looks pretty neat!

I personally wouldn't recommend it at the moment. I spent several hours trying it out and it's very frustrating in a bad way. For reference, my favorite roguelike is probably Adom and I love Sil too, and those games are all about lulling you into a false sense of security and then sucker punching you. My problem with IA is that it's just...not fun. If you run into Reanimated corpses you're pretty hosed. They take too much damage and you can't actually kill them, and the stealth mechanics in IA are broken and useless. It seems like the devs should consider taking a page from Sil where everything gives you EXP and numerous builds are potentially good, from pacifist to fighter man. The only luck I've personally had is a dexterous/tough melee/rapid recoverer who found a suit of armor on floor one and I made it to like floor 7 or 8 before being chain stunned and confused by a million ghosts that spawned on top of me. It does have really nice looking tiles though.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Naar posted:

I've played it for a while now, I agree that it would be more fun if it weren't so punishing. I think the developer has the attitude that actually winning the game should be a once-in-a-lifetime event. It also seems like the saving and loading mechanics are broken at the moment since you can lose the permanent intrinsics from your initial trait choices and it doesn't save the spells you know. You can permanently kill reanimated corpses, though - either kill them in such a way that they don't leave a corpse, such as by doing lots of damage in one hit, or re-kill them once and they stop resurrecting.

I think that's where I have a big problem with it. One of the reasons I love roguelikes is that a big part of it is knowing that, at least in part, I made a mistake which led to my death. I'd rather have a game where I'll end up losing 99% of my characters, they all could potentially ascend outside of the freak case of a gnome with a wand of death or what have you, rather then 1% of my characters even standing a chance. But I'll still probably keep my eyes on it if only because it's not bogged down in features nor is it too light for my tastes.

Edit: Even in a game like IVAN it doesn't feel as unfair. I dunno though, maybe it needs to grow on me.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Levitate posted:

I've been playing Nethack (half-heartedly) off and on for probably over a decade and finally ascended for the first time with a Samurai :woop:

Kind of sad but oh well.

Nice! What equipment were you rolling at the end? I still need to try nethack again. It's definitely one of those games I wish I was good at, like doomRL.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Hey, can I offer one more write-up for the contest? Because I went back to Hack Slash Loot the other night and I think it deserves a mention. Also seems germane to the discussion underway.

Hack Slash Loot
Cost: $7.00

Genre: Turn-based Action RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
Let's Plays: None that I know of
Forks: No

Do not play this game.

Although I'm too late, this is also my entry except replace it with Cardinal Quest.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

:colbert:

You have bad opinions.

:pwn: Well, you're entitled to your wrong opinion as well, bub.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Ahaha Noxico is on the poll. Give it a try folks, it won't disappoint :thumbsup: I recall someone mentioning it somehow being on last year's poll and I decided to stream it for some friends. Very cool, very slick :angel:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Corridor posted:

What everyone else said. It feels like an alpha game but it isn't. Enemies respawn instantly but they are poo poo. I wandered around for ages killing everything I ran into with zero effort, just using the knife. I had a pistol but never used it. Had a spell, never used it. Collected a ton of tokens, never used them. Only times I ever lost health were trying to hop over spikes. I felt there was no point to playing. Eventually I ran into a shoggoth or something, and was so bored that I suicided by taking it on melee. Then uninstalled.

Also it looks like rear end.

Yeah the game really feels half-baked. There's a grand total of I think 5 usable items, of which only the pistol and the knife are useful. Maybe 4 spells which are all bad except the "make a block" spell, and a bunch of generally useless accessories. The devs seemed to assume players would be slow and sneaky, but with how stupid and useless enemies are you can just bunnyhop around everything. Really, the nicest thing I can say about Eldritch was that you could really zoom around levels, especially with jump boots and an amulet of destruction. Also you hands look like drumsticks and half the time the enemies just kill themselves. The only challenge in the game are the statues that insta-kill you if you look away from them.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Corridor posted:

Haha they do, on both counts.

Really frequently I would come across a monster corpse that had wandered into spikes or fallen from something high. Half the time I would hear them and not even bother checking for the body. Monster suicide was part of the ambient noise.

The most frequent enemies I'd find dead on floor spikes were the floating eyeballs. You know, the monsters that can not only fly, but fly anywhere in all directions and altitudes. They would kill themselves by managing to move onto the relatively rare spots that are dangerous on the floor. They did this all the loving time! Like a full two thirds of the eyeballs deaths in that game were unrelated to me.

I didn't get far enough to see the blink angels or whatever, that sounds actually interesting.

e. you don't realise how important idle animations are to immersion until you see a neutral shopkeeper npc standing totally still like a static object.

The blink angels start out sort of interesting because there's a big shock when suddenly you die when you look away for a second, but after a while they just become annoying. Sometimes they can't follow you up to a different floor of the dungeon, sometimes they can. Still, they're about the only thing that ever added any tension to the game. Rlyeh was pretty much just enemies with tons of HP aimlessly wandering around stupidly.

Edit: On a less cynical note, I do think Dungeons of the Endless has potential. I've beaten the alpha a few more times since my last post and it's still a lot of fun, although the RNG can really gently caress you. I'm looking forward to seeing what the devs are planning on adding.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 21, 2013

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Sorry for the wall of text but im carrying around a bunch of stuff and I just wanted to get some advice about equipment. :ohdear:
As a beastfighter what kind of armor should I be aiming for since I had this nice splint mail of carrying that got blown to pieces by a trap so im using the ancient mummy wrapping now.

You may have already sold it, but one of the Dwarf town quests gives you a suit of blessed mithril chain mail which is pretty decent. Really just looking out for anything that's mithril or better with a high PV is the best plan. Still, if you haven't been crowned yet hang onto those wrappings so you get something better then Cold Immunity if you get crowned.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Bought Bionic Dues over the steam sale and man is it frustrating. Is there anyway to deal with half your squad being wiped out by explosives five minutes into a mission?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't get hit by explosives. Seriously, the game seems to be heavily built around ensuring that you get the first, and only, shot against bots. That means letting them come into range and then one-shotting them, or out-ranging them so you can plink them down before they get to shoot you, or hitting them with AOE when they can't see you, or stealthing up to them and shooting them with a Ninja (or hacking them), or using turrets to shoot around corners, etc.

It can be very punishing of mistakes, though. Once you lose one exo, you're liable to lose your others. A word of advice: postpone hacking unknown terminals until the mission is already won; one of the possible options is "terminal explodes, taking your exo with it".

So should I just stack as many damage boosters as I can onto my assault mech's laser rifle? Because that seems to be the most damaging weapon I have besides a siege mech's rockets, and it has enough range that I only get killed by splash damage half the time. The game seems like it could be fun but I don't really like how it seems that it would be better to just stack three assault mechs and one science mech so I can exploit corners using a grenade launcher.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That will work for awhile, but bots get extra range as the game progresses (the game helpfully tells you how the difficulty affects various stats from the start-game screen). If I recall correctly, my first game still leaned fairly heavily on the (assault) grenade launcher, (siege) rocket launcher, and (ninja) welding laser, but I mostly stacked +range, +AOE, and +ammo on the weapons while stacking +all weapon damage on other slots. A single +damage upgrade on a weapon was usually enough to keep it competitive with the bots' HP values.

The assault mech starts out strong, then hits a bit of a lull in the midgame in my experience, when the grenade launcher stops one-shotting things. The siege mech is really your "I win" button; if you wanted to roll-face through the game then 3 siege and 1 science might be a plausible party. Just don't run out of ammo on your rocket launchers...

Also don't underestimate stacking stealth and hacking points on the Scientist, or +trap skill and turrets. High-level turrets (they get bonus stats from your trap skill) can slaughter large numbers of bots without any danger to your exos.

Thanks a lot for all the pointers. Abusing corners and AoE has changed everything around for me now. My siege mech as 12 rockets in a 5 radius area. Talk about night and day! Ha, once you figure the game out it definitely becomes a lot more fun, that's for sure.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

You guys weren't kidding when you were talking about One Way Heroics. What a fun, fun game. I've already beaten it as a knight and as an adventurer, and I'm loving it. The current Indie Royale is worth getting just for it.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's way funnier if you go find it yourself, but here.

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha It's a Christmas Miracle!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Roguelike Thread: You See Here a Those Tits

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

uPen posted:

I'm rock hard.

From investigating this game for about 5 minutes it looks like a lovely roguelike that's interjected with bits of really trashy romance-novel style 'erotic' scenes featuring cats/snakes/whatever you happen to be. Just don't go into the fanart section of the official website.

You also can't move diagonally in a game that uses unicode/ascii art. instead 1 3 7 and 9 are supposed to be a radial menu. I am not making this up. You also cannot level up, gain stats, learn spells or do anything. Roguelike of the century,

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

I played another game of Sil recently. After reading about how the game is about running/hiding from monsters instead of fighting them, I made as sneaky and perceive-y a mans as I could. I put some muscle into Smithing because that sounds cool, I like crafting. Even fired up the soundtrack to The Hobbit because I am all in. Stealth is gret and all but I couldn't help but beat up a conga line of wolves when I got them into a hallway, and hey wouldn't you know it I happen to have a wolf bane battle axe of some type. Great!

I'm not terribly far in at all, I did 50, 50, 100 and now I'm here at 150. There's been a lot of orcs and wolves. And also worms, but those are just *band staples, clearly not Tolkien canon. The point of this post (and my character dump) is me asking if I'm even doing this right. So far I don't feel like this is a lick different from any *band. Maybe deeper the monsters have different names and are harder. I found an anvil but couldn't do anything with it, I don't know any songs, and... yeah.

Anyway I'm not complaining, I just want to get the awesome Sil experience everyone else is having.

If you're playing a stealth character there's no reason to have 3 point of strength at all, especially if you're trying to avoid conflict. Strength is great for a melee character because it adds sides to your hit die, but aside from some extra carry capacity it's not going to help you. Generally, if you don't have a plan for smithing early on you wanna avoid putting points into it, at least that's what I've seen. Admittedly I don't play anything besides fighters so I dunno about tactics. I do know shift+s makes you enter stealth mode which is easy to not realize.

Your skills seem way too stretched thin as well. It's generally better to focus rather then go for a little bit of everything.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

uPen posted:

You also need heavier weapons to actually get the extra sides from higher str and heavy weapons are harder to crit with which is how stealthy dudes kill things so yeah!

Yeah, to explain more in depth, every point of strength you have adds sides to the hit die of your equipped weapon for every pound that weapon weighs. In other words with three strength if you're wielding a 1d8 long sword that weights 2 lbs your actual damage will be 1d10 because you're getting 2 extra sides from your strength. More strength means you want heavier weapons (generally speaking, there are exceptions). That's why hammers, for example, are like 5d1, because a high strength character will turn it into a 5d4.

Edit: Also, Noldor have a blade affinity which means you get a +1 to your attacks when using a sword. Using an axe is only good if you have no better alternative or you need a good weapon to deal with high armor enemies.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Yeah, Dungeons of the Endless is pretty fun but very barebones. I've beaten the alpha three times already. I think it has a lot of potential, and if a tower defence/roguelike hybrid sounds appealing I'd recommend keeping an eye on it if not buying it. The presentation is great too, although sometimes controlling your characters can be annoying as they often don't go where they should.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

victrix posted:

Dredmore's fine with small levels and double speed anims, it's not a super long game to finish with that setup.

Aren't short levels broken? At least a few months ago they were, because the small levels didn't compensate for loot and there was just an XP multiplier so you could end up really underleveled and undergeared.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hito posted:

I think this might be a crafting thing or something? On a non-crafting character, I cleared Going Rogue/Permadeath/No Time to Grind/Realm of the Diggle Gods easily enough, even though you'd think any problems with less gains per level would be exacerbated in a 15 floor game. And even NttG is pretty drat long so I can't really recommend playing the game without it.

But yes, speeding up animations is a must.

Ah, I think you're right. Although crafting is so useless that it's not an issue. You're right about small rooms though, even with them the game takes fooooorever.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

This got me when I started playing too. Turns out that that food you start with restores Con.

I believe lembas only restores drained grace, not constitution. A potion of con or an herb of restoration will restore any drained constitution. Obviously a potion of any given stat will restore that stat if it's been drained. Violet molds are a real pain though, never mess with one unless you absolutely have too or you have a way to sustain your constitution.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

I hope you're serious because I can't imagine more perfect tiles for Unreal World :allears:

Edit: Speaking of Qud is it still in beta? I remember not too long ago you couldn't beat it.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 11, 2014

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Time for my first Darkforge raid in ADOM. let's see what their legendary armor cache has in store...

:argh:

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me on a great beastfighter I'm running. Nothing but robes and one pair of yellow clothing. And of course the weapons vault had eternium halberds of slaughtering and crystal long swords of devastation.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Social Animal posted:

The next nethack thread should be "increase attributes through fornication."

Well, Noxico was roguelike of last year, after all.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

I bought Delver with some card money over the summer sale and while it's improved, it's still pretty bland. Even in its current form it took my only a few hours to beat and it has almost no real replay value. I don't regret the purchase like I do with Eldritch, but eh.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Farquar posted:

I've been playing a lot of Cardinal Quest 2 lately. Lots of things to unlock and lots of achievements to work towards.

I really like how low all the stats are. It makes gaining 1 defense or attack feel like something significant. It just seems easier to wrap my head around than games that add 24 to armor stat whenever you level or whatever. Almost has a boardgame like feel.

I didn't care for the original cardinal quest, but I man if this sequel isn't great! I love how ever class I've played so far has their own unique play style. I normally dislike playing stealthy characters but I'm really enjoying the thief.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Glidergun posted:

Moving over to the link that describes Extended's new roles, there's a lot of typical "lol pop culter!" characters (Jedi, Pokemon, Death Eaters), and then there's...

:shepicide:

Jedi Knight AND a pokemon? My Zorkmids :(

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Glidergun posted:

Yeah, Nethack always had a "lol pup culter!" element, it's just one of the things nerds do. I was mostly trying to distinguish "hey guys, let's be a Navi" from "hey guys, this dude has to wear high heels lol"

Oh I know. I just thought the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. The transvestite class was just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

I hadn't played ADOM in forever so I decided to see what the new version added, and boy was I shocked when I saw Biskup finally made the Tree Star sign no longer a comedy option! I'm glad he's rebalancing stuff along with adding new classes and races. I eventually got a decent human paladin rolling and, well, while loot wasn't initially all that good I did eventually find this:

:allears: The first superior metal -of Devastation weapon I've ever found. I eventually got both boots of speed and seven league boots! Now I just need some good armor.