Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

iastudent posted:

The newest Indie Royale bundle has a couple roguelikes: Claustrophobia, Hero Siege, and One Way Heroics. Also Steam keys will be offered should any of them get Greenlit.
People should get it for One Way Heroics. An expansion that might be a stand-alone patch, is in the works and include hotkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Harminoff posted:

Have you also tried Fancy Skulls?

Also, heres a good review on Claustrophobia that is in the indie royal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twy4SH7NSMw
The devs played Dredmor a lot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bought the game weeks ago, but still get a laugh on the best rear end reference.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bob NewSCART posted:

I bought the indie royal bundle and there seems to be a couple decent roguelikes in here, but what's the deal with one way heroics? You guys have been talking about it a lot but what kind of roguelike is it similar to? Something like crawl or dredmor or what?
It is a side-scroller where game over is always a couple dozen turns away.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

drink_bleach posted:

So I probably never would have picked up One Way Heroics if not for the bundle. Man that really bums me out because this game is fantastic.

I hate for this to become an echo chamber, but if you haven't played this game yet you are doing yourself a disservice. It's just so good. I do think I need to move to a higher difficulty though.

Is it a thing to avoid using statues to buy stats or is there a way to gain so many levels?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

drink_bleach posted:

I was wearing the bracelet that gives you more XP but lowers your stats. I still spent about 50-100 levels with the statue in that run. Entirely on agility so I could outrun the devil.

Once you get out past 1000km, new enemy types start spawning like dragons and armored variants of the regular enemies and some of the older enemies start doing annoying poo poo like breathing fire and burning up all your healing herbs. The upside to this is they give insane amounts of XP, I think every dragon I killed was a few levels.

I only ended that run because I thought there was no end; however, when I got advice it told me "You almost reached the end", I'm not sure if that was trolling me, or if at some point it stops generating and there is an actual end to reach.
I relied on the Queen's reward to level. Pretty much anything with an arrow is guaranteed a few levels, while animals give you about 5. The half health thing scared me from using the trainer. Might try it if I kept it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

uPen posted:

Just don't go into the fanart section of the official website.
I vomited after seeing them dot the i's.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Yodzilla posted:

Yyyyyyep. I actually got him down to half health before being overwhelmed by those teleporting robots that have way too much health. For real those things aren't fun at all and make me want to not play the game solo. I also think the overly vertical levels are a bit of a slog.
Those cows are the worst. Any long stretch of flat terrain and I am certain to die. Moo *boom*.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chinook posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a roguelike that is pretty easy to beat? Maybe a bit uncomplicated as well.

I like Crawl and a few others, but sometimes get bogged down by the resistance systems and difficulty. I tried cardinal quest, which is definitely simple and easier, but I just didn't find it to be very fun. Any ideas?

Otherwise I will probably just head back to Crawl. :)
One Way Heroics and has a thread.

Tollymain posted:

On the other hand, I would not call Dredmor fun to play.

I wish it was :(
It is fun to play for a "samey" game. Must be fun to hate it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

voltron lion force posted:

Another question about Risk of Rain: twice now I've fallen into pits that I seemingly can't escape from. Like no jump pads or things to climb onto. I feel like this is an oversight of the level generator but maybe I'm missing something?
What stage?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TOOT BOOT posted:

One Way Heroics was greenlit.
It was for certain. I just hope they will further update it for Steam outside of useless achievements.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They have a OWH+ (think Elona+) patch in the works that is game-changing huge.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't you turn it off and still scum it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cephalocidal posted:

Constant rightward scrolling pegged to player motion but not 1:1 means movement is moderately tactical, but not overwhelmingly so. There is a minimap so if you get hosed into a corner you've only got yourself to blame. Never being able to come back and get poo poo forces decisions and discourages hoarding. No super eclectic rules you need to know to play. It's easily worth 5 or 10 bucks.
There is a 1:1 movement setting that might be called "Hardcore" as its own box, that also restricts a few other features.

Helical Nightmares posted:

As a point of trivia, madjackmcmad is Dungeonman's one of the few games (including rpgs and boardgames) that actually has a retirement mechanic? The only other game I can think of that has one is the roguelike Prospector.
Is the retirement mechanic something that deletes your character for a boost in NG+? Elona+ does that with your child inheriting your post-game stuff for a massive early game boost.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can Bards recruit red stars? Holy poo poo. Maybe I should try this version.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PantsBandit posted:

So I tried again to pick up Dungeons of Dredmore after dropping it a while back but good lord, that UI is seriously unappealing. I feel like there's something I'm missing because everybody raves about it but in my limited experience with it I've found it an ugly and opaque game.
Maybe there are mods that change it. I don't see it being a problem.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

victrix posted:

Hmm... speaking of kitchen sink games, I should really check out Elona+ some time.
I discovered a technique to make your character scream so loud that the entire map eventually morphs into dirt terrain. Hate mazes and liquid death? Scream them away.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

dis astranagant posted:

It's not like 3/4 of the Elona thread doesn't just look for abusable moongates for gold. There isn't really much of a curve once you make your first 100k or so anyway.
Not sure what it is that changes the weight of objects and if it will work on kitty banks, but you can find 500M banks in Noyel and the Thieve's Guild. If you didn't go months without paying the bills, you teleport the guard, Incognito through the guild and teleport Sin if he comes at you. The weight of the banks determine how much money is in it, so no need to put in money.

If that wasn't fast enough, you spend a minute using elosnack to solve all your gold and training problems. It being a sandbox RL is why there is so much repetition, but lots of stuff are available to do from the start without spending dozens of hours.

I think they made quests even more rewarding than it was last year or two, since I almost never got 3 plat for SQ until Harvesting needed like 80s to complete. It is still not at the 30s level and I can deliver my rods to strangers for 3 plat half the time.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 17, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The 1.45 update to Elona+ seemed to have finally done away with the absurd grind on spending platinum coins. What took 20 plat now takes 4. That leaves fame grinding as the most demanding amount of work if you don't abuse the system.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm kinda getting the urge to get back into elona lately. What exactly is elona+? Some kind of fan fork?
Elona+ is a newbie-friendly fan expansion of Elona. It fixes the problems of Elona and continually adds new content and continents. No more of that lopsided enemy leveling and being punished for having money. Just forget everything you know about Elona and consider it a whole new game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

This Serious Sam Rogue is hard...

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 24, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since I've been on a bit of a Roguelike binge the last week or so, I'm looking for suggestions. What are some interesting non-fantasy Roguelikes out there? Stuff like Cataclysm, ArmCom, DoomRL, Invisible Inc, and Caves of Qud. They can be complex or simple, it doesn't matter, but after sampling Rogue, Brogue, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, ToME4 and the like I'm looking for something besides the semi-standard fantasy premise.
Can't stop suggesting Elona+ being something to try out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ToxicFrog posted:

If the F310 is anything like the other Fx10 controllers, there's a switch on the back that toggles it between XInput (360-compatible) and DirectInput (legacy) modes. Make sure that's in XInput mode for recent games.

I have an F710 and it works great.
I have a F510 and it is great. Lasted longer than the previous controllers some goons were hyping.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ToxicFrog posted:

What's the deal with One Way Heroics Plus? Is it a remake that hasn't hit Steam yet? That never will? An expansion?
It is pretty much a big remake. All sorts of stuff are added in to put it in line with other RL and weapon/armor upgrades are no longer exploited between games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like crafting things, even better is breaking junk down. All the random stuff you see that you can't pick up or use, in a setting where survival means everything, sounds like an artificial restriction due to a lack of creativity.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Unormal posted:

I like crafting except when its boring or annoying. So it should not be boring or annoying. #gamedevwisdom
It does break the tedium of murdering things while searching for new paths, until it becomes a problem for garbage men. Must resist the OCD.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

victrix posted:

So is Elona+ permadeath or what? People talk about hundreds of hours of playtime, that sounds horrible for permadeath. I don't even like Tome's length for it :v:
It is a sandbox by design. Something you can do in the game is get to level 2000 or the hundreds of other stuff you can grind to 2000. Make a male pudding tank and have him inherit all sorts of incredibly powerful weapons that destroy level 1200 gods that then explode into super versions of themselves.
Death doesn't carry a penalty until about level 6. The game can decide to kill you for making simple mistakes or if an NPC gets rowdy and sets buildings on fire.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Highblood posted:

If nobody else is going for this I will, I love it
Take it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Overwined posted:

You may think you can play the piano, but let me tell you brother, you can't.
You can play the piano, just not around that one guy at level 100, who carries an actual boulder and power throws it at musicians.

The Hero spell makes so many things easier and makes you hit harder, provided you level it far enough. It is useless if you are lifting and are one turn from picking up stuff.

There are several guides from the English wiki that people are constantly updating.
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona%2B

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Princey posted:

Is there a good Elona+ LP or something floating around the internet somewhere? I've messed around with it a little and it's good fun, but there's so much to keep track of, and just reading the advice from a few posts up made my eyes glaze over a little. It's a lot easier for me to pick up a game like that when I can watch/read somebody who knows what they're doing play it first.
You could look at all the videos of it and get the different playstyles down.
I find it best to just do the tutorial stuff, get the girl, head to Yowyn, do farming quests for plat, decide what you want to spend them on. Branch out from there.

I didn't want to deal with the hassle of magic and after the price drop on spending plat, I was the Overlord with lots of minions doing the killing for me. Fires spreading everywhere and getting them all equipped with blankets and fire gear.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

dis astranagant posted:

Magic is incredibly good, though. There's cheap, powerful buffs for every stat and then some even if you don't want to wade in and get up enough to nuke the gently caress out of people by chucking a beer at them and blasting them with lightning bolts or get your casting stats high enough to land the equally many, equally powerful debuffs.

Speaking of buffs, hoard blessed potions of restore body and restore spirit. They give an extremely long lasting 5+10% to physical/mental stats. Drink them every time you die to counteract the death penalty and buff you til next death. You can also give them to pets. Wears off on its own after about a year.
Needing to get a few thousand plats to get the magic skills on par with my other stuff did put me off before the cheaper upgrade patch. Just get a bunch of pets to fling spells at enemies and use your potions to buff before that happened. Still crazy the body and spirit pots are still so cheap when they can double your stats.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, imagine how different Rogue Legacy would be if you knew where the boss rooms were ahead of time. It'd be a lot shorter, for one.
That is a feature.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
FTL could be made much better if you can do some sort of pre-order for items in the market or black market, and another sector to bridge the last two levels. Most of the time, I avoid every single encounter at the end since those ships might as well be smaller flag vessels and the rewards are not as good for the damage they can do. They chase you across the galaxy and now I am fighting a sub-boss. Four party teleport ships, represent.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
drat that stone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

resistentialism posted:

If you want an easy, no fuss win: rely on the fire dragon summon to get you through the first few floors, then turn on all the egyptian upkeep buffs and then blast nearly everything in the game with the sandstorm. Your other skills should be chosen to give you the mana regen to keep doing that forever, plus archaeology and something else to make getting around traps not tedious.

And for dredmor himself: keep a huge pile of sawblades and try to get him stuck on a lava moat somewhere while you plink him to death.
You can also drop every single damage item you collected in the game on a tile and get Dredmor to walk on it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am curious how it would display Ocelot twirling his guns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Snake, he's reading your numpad inputs. You'll have to use the VI keys!
Trackball.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Generally, starters are best off with a wide variety of skills to sample everything. Picking a crafting skill, weapons skill, escape skill, defense/buff skill, minion skill, and whatever else to stack with. If you want to go in murdering everything so that you earn buffs, while regenerating, I would suggest: Berserker Rage, Master of Arms, Perception, Golemancy, Burglary, Vampirism, Alchemy.
You get offense and defense buffs while killing things. Heal from eating your enemies. Perception lets you see thing further ahead so you can plan for bosses. Golemancy summons minions to take the heat off. TooMuchAbstraction explains the others. Burglary and Artful Dodger both have evasion moves, though Burglary has a bunch of perks. Master of Arms needs you to take hits to get buffs, which goes against Artful Dodger. You can apply buffs to minions, but I forgot what works on them.

I am just throwing up a simple starter melee build. You can stack over a dozen buffs if you want and it gets crazy.

There is a thing called "corruption" that wears your equipment down to nothing rather quickly. I would avoid those floors of enemies entirely or turn it off with some modding.

The difference in difficulty are the level of enemies. Going Rogue is like fighting out of depth monsters.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 20, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One Way Heroics is having a going out of business sale pricing scheme. 75% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210
One Way Heroics Plus DLC that is basically 5X the content. http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/?snr=1_5_9__405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ToxicFrog posted:

Man. Dredmor has weird rules for what does and doesn't take a turn.

Does: moving, attacking, special abilities, interacting with most (all?) things in the world, picking up or dropping items using drag-and-drop
Doesn't: (un)equipping items, picking up items using autopickup, dropping items using shift-click

In particular, this means that shift-click is almost always the best way to drop things, and the best way to pick something up is to turn on the autopickup category it belongs to just before stepping on it.

For ttymor, I'm not sure if the thing to do is to make all pickup/drop operations take a turn, or none of them; having it depend on which UI gesture you use really rubs me the wrong way.
No one wanted to pick up every single gold piece, so autograb became a feature.