Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tagichatn posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask, but do you guys have any recommendations for mid-range laptops with numpads? Super low spec games are pretty much the only thing my current laptop can play but it's a pain in the rear end to play roguelikes without a numpad.

I recommend instead that you purchase a bluetooth or USB numpad, because laptops with numpads are often tire fires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Truth be told, Castle of the Winds has been my most played and favorite roguelike every year for the past like 21 years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can also do some really wacky stuff with Powder if you donated to the guy, to get the code to unlock "wizard mode" which basically lets you mash together anything in the game to use. And there's another code he'll give you at the same time that let's you set up the game to autoplay itself for a few floors from random starting point/character/equipment and then cycle to another. It was coded for stress-testing new ports to ensure they worked, but you can get some great ideas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jordan7hm posted:

The art and sound assets are still commercial too. If you want to play Doom you need to either buy the game (or pirate it, but that goes without saying) or use Freedoom. Freedoom isn't terrible but the assets just feel wrong.

Anyway I'm sending out keys now. People who post here can still post here claiming stuff but I'm gonna post this in the steam thread too, so check what's available.

That said there are so many ways to get the original Doom games dirt cheap, it doesn't even matter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thirsty Dog posted:

Man, thanks to whoever suggested playing Doom with the DoomRL Arsenal Mod + Oblige autocreated maps to make a roguelike FPS. Having a whale of a time, and getting my arse handed to me while I'm at it.

Is there an easy way to grab user-generated maps and create a random selection wad of them? Oblige does a decent job but I'd love to see what hand-crafted maps are like with this.

Ask around in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

I could swear someone was planning to make just such a thing a while back

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Has anyone been playing Delver? I bought it on Android a few years back, and they haven't been updating that version for a while now, but I see that new betas have been released on Steam every few months. I'm curious about anyone's opinions for how it's been progressing.

What I can say about it is that it's totally ok. It's not great, but it's enjoyable for a couple hours every week or two.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Banana Man posted:

Oh god I'm new to these types of games and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

POWDER is a nice and simple introduction, which also comes with a number of great tiles: http://www.zincland.com/powder

As a bonus, it also has a free Android version and it's been ported to and from a number of consoles and handhelds, so you can also play it on a Wii or GBA or DS (provided you have homebrew enabled on your Wii, and a flashcard for either GBA or DS.

Since it was originally designed around the constraints of a GBA, the control interface is very simplified and uses a lot of assignable buttons around the outside that you can customize to your choosing. Most people use that for spells.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Samizdata posted:

Maybe you meant free iPhone version?

No, Android. The link to the APK is on one of the news posts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think you really can, because it isn't a design issue, it's a player issue. You just accept that some players are going to play that way, and you either design your game in such a way that those players are accommodated (auto-exploration features help immensely with this), or you don't.

And you certainly don't solve the problem by punishing people for taking their time, especially in a genre where going fast often means you're going to lose and have to restart. You can incentivize forward progress though.

You know that makes me think, is there any roguelike out there where the developer explicitly made it so you can stay on the same floor/whatever you want to call it forever?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you want a roguelike that you will reliably get overpowered by the end, so long as you didn't super rush, try Castle Of The Winds, especially in part 2. As time passes in the game much more powerful enchanted weapons are generated on dungeon floors/in monster loot/for sale in the town shops, as well as the power you get from level ups.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Floodkiller posted:

Unfortunately, I don't see Steam using a scaled review system solely because a binary one naturally encourages input more (since there is no mental apprehension to thinking about what specific number a game deserves), which is better for their popularity sorting algorithms than a small amount of detailed written reviews.

I don't think this is true. What seems to be true is that in 1-5 or 1-10 or whatever systems, most people only use 1 or 5 (or 1 or 10, etc).

Like if it was really true that binary input wa sneccesary to gather input, you'd probably see Amazon switching to it, but they've stuck to 5 stars for the past 21 years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

Hot dog. Gonna try to figure this out.

Yeah just try changing variables around at random and see what you get. All it costs is like a minute of time or less to generate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turtlicious posted:

Have you tried codehero? Unity also has modules that you can slot in to shore up your weaker areas. What do you have trouble with?

Code Hero is a) horrible b) incomplete c) will never ever be completed or fixed. Recommending people use a failed kickstarter game to learn how to program is pretty ridiculous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unimpressed posted:

Could someone here who plays Brogue possibly post a little primer on how to get going? I find myself floundering rather aimlessly without knowing what to focus on. It seems to me like you need to understand what the dungeon is giving you and build your character accordingly rather than setting out to be a fighter or wizard, etc.

I suggest using this to generate dungeons where certain items you're interested in are guareneteed to be on the first few levels, so you can mess around with them and decide what you want to target in regular games: http://brogue.wikia.com/wiki/Seedscummer

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Anyone have some tips for playing the actual Rogue for DOS? Like good weapon combos to shoot for and the like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, really -- "buy a Windows computer for gaming" is not valid advice for the majority of the population. Either due to budget ...

Well yeah when you overpay for one computer it's hard to afford a second. But that's a "budget" problem like this is:
https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did you loving read my post where I suggested they had a six-year-old Macbook?

Yeah if you bought a six year old Macbook you spent way too much money for a laptop. It's simple. They're expensive computers and always have been.

It's like complaining that you can't fit a Genesis in your budget back when those were current because you went and blew $600+ early 90s money on a 3DO.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 9, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sage Grimm posted:

You're both wrong, it's Farmers. Pumpkin Bombs in horribly crowded areas means never running out of stamina. Ultimate is (eventually) a full heal for 3. Savage mode end boss was dead simple because of this.

I'm torn between the pumpkin bombs and the Warrior's attack that hits diagonally as the most useful power.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a mysterious cloak posted:

Is there such a thing as a rogue like for babies? I try Binding of Isaac now and then and just can't get into it.

Because I'm a baby.

POWDER is pretty simple but fun, because it was originally built to be played on the GBA.
http://www.zincland.com/powder/

It's also free, and has a beta Android version now. If you buy the game for like $5 though, the developer will email you a code to unlock the debug modes if you really want to mess around in an easy mode or just plain see what the high level spells and equipment does.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baram. posted:

how did you get good at roguelikes before wikis and easy access to other people who know more than you about them though?

A lot of the time you didn't get a hold of a roguelike without also being the kind of person with access to like Usenet or BBSes, where you could talk to people plenty. Early shareware/commercial roguelikes, which didn't require access to networks of some sort to get a hold of, would often offer pretty good documentation or even strategy guides - though they'd usually reduce the coverage for endgame concepts/enemies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My first roguelike was definitely Castle of the Winds. And it's still great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Konstantin posted:

I'm surprised that Game Informer had a story about Dwarf Fortress, I was under the impression it was just one big GameStop ad with how much GameStop was pushing it.

Game Informer is like a legit magazine, partially because Gamestop pushes it on everyone. It means they don't really have to worry about building up subscriptions or whatever on their own. It's also always seemed to have less ads than other gaming magazines had, probably because they have all the Gamestop cash behind it.

They'll always make sure to heavily feature whatever games the actual Gamestop stores heavily feature of course, but they cover a lot more than that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The classic "a melee weapon can crush or slash or stab but not multiple at once" system really works best for games where you can know in advance what opponents will be in a specific area. I don't think it really works well at all in a classic roguelike where you stand a good chance of seeing completely random opponents at any time, moderated only by keeping the strongest monsters to later int he game.

It can be interesting though when you have it so like "this sword is at full effectiveness when slashed, 75% effectiveness when used to stab and only 50% effectiveness when used to crush" rather than making each weapon only do one of the three and leaving you poo poo out of luck. Of course, the typical roguelike combat system doesn't lend itself well to telling your character to switch melee attack methods without switching equipment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Luckily Brogue hasn't updated since 2014, so you don't have to worry about changes. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So for the first time in a while, I managed to ascend in Powder. For this time around i kept restarting til i got a divination book as part of my 3 starting inventory items (neccesary for my strategy to try as many not cursed items to wear as possible in search of defenses) and towards the middle of the game after dodging cockatrice hardening i found an artifact that granted stoning resistance and immediately equipped it. Then it was a simple matter of cleverly using spells and reflective.

Here's the screenshots

And here's the final character text file as a pastebin link:

http://pastebin.com/tCxkh10S

Some of the deaths/wins with weird numbers on the high score list were done with the special donation-only things were you can basically play in debug mode and don't count, so this run is actually first best instead of second best on this machine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Serephina posted:

Yea, initial impressions from being a free GBA product, to it's look give the very wrong impression that it's easy. The game will murder you dead a hundred ways, most of them being ^&*(# cockatrices. Is there any real reliable counter to it, other than learning the acid spell?

The best thing is to have an amulet of unchanging, or to have been lucky enough to find an artifact item that grants Unchanging intrinsic when wielded - on the turn you would have turned to stone you revert to normal. Also, an artifact that specifically has Stone Resistance will prevent it entirely, but no standard item has that.

Second best is to have the Preserve or Stone To Flesh spells. Stone to Flesh stops turning to stone instantly and grants resistance for a few turns. Preserve will prevent you from turning to stone for 5 turns or so, but you'll probably want to cast it every few turns to make sure it's in effect at the right time - namely it needs to be in effect at the turn you would have become stone.

If you have the ability to cast Polymorph, then simply change the cockatrice into something else and run away from it, or if you also have a ring or artifact granting Polymorph Control, change yourself into a monster that can't be turned to stone - like the cockatrice itself or any creature whose corpse you can't eat (because their corpses aren't flesh or don't exist). So like, cave trolls, elementals, ghosts, and on top of that many creatures with acid attacks can't be turned into stone. If you got surpised with the stoning attribute and don't have polymorph control, might as well try to polymorph yourself anyway in hopes of getting a creature that will survive.

After this, there's acid. Throwing an acid potion at the ceiling will splash you and the cockatrice, damaging it as well as you (if you don't have acid resistance) and canceling the stone effect. However it grants no protection, the cockatrice can start turning you to stone the very next turn. But that's why you throw the acid potion, it guarantees that your term will do some damage to the cockatrice instead of just temporarily healing you. You can also use an acid spell on yourself for the same effect, ideally you use the area of effect one because again then you can chip away cockatrice help.

Then there's just trying to ensure your piety with a god is high enough that they'll magically save you. Best not to rely on this.

After this there's always just running away. If you don't have a protective item or a lot of acid potions/the acid attacks by the time cockatrices show up, make sure to have jump boots or other things like that that let you run away real good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

andrew smash posted:

If you took that as actually suggesting making rape or genocide jokes rather than just poking fun at a stupid Internet word I'm not sure what to tell you.

I didn't see you poking fun at "andrew smash" though? Instead you did something that's pretty much just done by weird nerds posting nazi memes in the space year 2017. That's a bad look.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unimpressed posted:

What was the nazi meme that he posted?

Thinking "trigger" is still funny instead of a dead meme.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

teacup posted:

What are some of the best roguelikes for iPad? I'm loving FTL and steam world dig (not sure if that counts) but for example didn't love the controls of death road to Canada . I think games where you can pause easily / more turn based on general work on iOS a bit better. Just trying to scratch that itch!!

POWDER is available for iOS but I'm not sure if it's free or as up to date as the Android/PC/etc versions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Half-Life 1 had reloading. v:shobon:v

And a comprehensive well-crafted storyline and level design, both extremely missing from Strafe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tollymain posted:

im going to be honest, ive somehow never heard of larn and have no idea what it is

Short description:

1) One of the first to have a persistent town and entrances to multiple dungeons from the town.
2) You play a guy whose daughter is going to die of a rare disease if you don't find the magical cure in the correct dungeon in time.
3) Pretty good dungeon generation algorithms.
4) You cast spells using 3-letter codes eg MLE casts magic missile.
5) When you deposit gold into your bank account from the town or from the dungeon branches, it earns interest, which is kinda neat.

Also there's an older version of the game ported to run in the browser here: http://larn.org/larn/larn.html Somewhere else on that site is a browser version with tiles I think.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Floodkiller posted:

I looked up the Larn controls for a good laugh:

code:
s - sit on a throne
R - Remove gems from throne
t - Tidy up at a fountain
A - Desecrate an altar
P - Give tax status

The tax status is relevant because if you win the game, as winning characters are taxed on the amount of gold they have, and then later players have to pay it off to keep the tax agents from messing with them during the quest. The game also becomes slightly harder each time, usually through certain important actions being likely to take more time units, and so on. One can however set an option to just skip to a higher difficulty or go back to a lower difficulty if they want, they all have different score tables.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The idea of calling basic information "spoilers" is so 80s USENET geek it hurts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Weedle posted:

I just reluctantly bought a Bluetooth Xbox One controller because Amazon is apparently incapable of shipping me the wired 360 controller I ordered three weeks ago, and it's actually dope as hell. The D-pad is about a million times better and the bumpers are a lot easier to hit; they changed the shape just enough that I can hit them with the middle segment of my index fingers when they're on the triggers, instead of having to either move my index fingers between the bumpers and triggers or keep my index fingers on the bumpers and middle fingers on the triggers. Seems like a small thing but it's really a huge upgrade.

Yeah the Xbox One controller basically fixes all of the problems the 360 controller had, like no longer having the lovely d-pad because the Nintendo patent finally expired and stuff like that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Numberwang posted:

wait, is this seriously why every d-pad has sucked donkey dick since the SNES controller???

Yes. Nintendo held several different patents, and the final ones expired in August 2005 (which was too late for Microsoft to have made and tested non-infringing d-pad designs for the 360, and so the 360 was stuck with the crappy d-pad all through its life). At various times other manufacturers have been able to license or already held competing patents so they could make similar designs, but most controllers would just have to be stuck with kinda lovely D-pads to avoid the patent lawsuits or paying the big bucks to Nintendo.

Sega always used their own methods of making d-pads which was pretty ok, but of course they left the business. Sony actually had their designs pretty close but insisted on the split button look so its not quite the same feeling. Microsoft tried two different ways to avoid it with the Xbox and 360.

Here's how the original Xbox's design works btw, the d-pad is this whole clunky assembly:

And then it makes contact with those 4 bare pads on the controller PCB:

This is the key Nintendo patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US4687200

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKroneGame/status/902358716770656256

I would be down for more games with this kind of bonkers mode

I'd honestly like that for a lot of games, especially if i could like adjust the opacity of one vs the other with a slider.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah a simple real world example would be the "great circle" routes airliners tend to stick to instead of sticking to what looks like a straight line on a 2D map:

(However sometimes the great circle route will also be a straight line on a normal 2D map, on occasion, especially for short distances)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah a proper hyperbolic case you'd be doing different sorts of curves from the real-world curves we use for long distances on Earth, but it's the same basic concept. What initially looks like traveling in a straight line for the shortest path will actually take you more distance to the same place.

On the actual Earth, if you and I start say 50 feet east and west of each other and start walking proper due North, we will eventually bump into each on the way to the North Pole as following North will slowly bring us together.
On a map or a pure 2D plane, it would look like we should stay 50 feet apart eternally.
On a hyperbolic world as described, as we walked North we would slowly draw apart instead of slowly drawing together.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Nuclear Throne was built in a new enough version of Game Maker that it could be ported to PS4, which would also mean it could be ported to Xbox One if they wanted. As such, it's a game that can't have been in too old of a version and could be brought to Switch if YoYo adds a Switch export option to the Game Maker software.

Right now there's two branches of GameMaker Studio, both supported and both having the PS4 export functionality so presumably would get the Switch export functionality: 2 and 1.4 (1.4 was also the only branch around for normal use when Nuclear Throne was released). It doesn't seem like they ever let 1.3 branches handle PS4 export.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thread consensus on Immortal Redneck was positive, right? It's coming to Switch in like, three weeks or something according to the eShop and I'm very pro-buying-things-on-Switch-rather-than-PC.

Immortal Redneck is very fun, but it was much more pleasant to play it using mouse and keyboard than with a gamepad like you'll be doing with a Switch version.