Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Erkenntnis posted:

So how's working in a call center? Just interviewed a position that would have me taking incoming calls about and supporting Cisco devices.

Don't do this unless your only other option is prostitution.

I worked in call centers first as a tech support agent and then as a supervisor. Did it for about three years working with teams up to 40 people, in a 400 person facility for one of the largest call center companies in the world. In the end the only thing your superiors will care about :

1. Keeping the contract
2. Your talk time

That's it. Everything else goes out the window including quality although you'll certainly hear plenty about it. Might even be a banner with the word "quality" on it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I feel spoiled now with my <4 miles to work

I feel spoiled now with my 1 mile to work. :smug:

I do pay for it during the Summer though because I walk and it's uphill most of the way to work and gets unpleasantly hot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

How are you integrating it exactly?

I'm visualizing someone banging the servers together.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there some piece of software I can use to easily track dependencies around infrastructure? For example when I configure some weird software that I have to point at a specific domain controller, I'd like to make a dependency between those two items, so if someone else wants to replace that domain controller, they can just check all its dependencies to know what's going to be effected?

I made my own FileMaker db for computers and cellphones. I connect things like software licenses to the PC they're installed on, and the person each unit is assigned to. You could do something similar with dependencies just by relating the records.

I can look up a user and see their equipment, click to go to the equipment entry and see associated software, etc. each entry also has a notes field for manual history.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I installed a pair of Meraki APs today.

It seems almost unfairly easy. I mean, the logical setup is super simple, just 3 SSIDs with WPA2, but still.

I've been switching all our WAPs to Meraki and so far so good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Odd question: How soon is too soon to ask a prospective employer to see their server room, etc?

Some places have been very secretive and some places I've interviewed will give you a frickin' tour on your first or second interview. What I'm trying to avoid is not seeing some massive rats nest of cables, racks chock full of 9-year old equipment, desktop Tetris, or half a rack of APC UPS's with the red warning lights lit up until 2 weeks on the job.

I do it on the first interview if given the chance. The hard part is in not laughing or swearing at the horrible mess I usually find.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Had my first performance review from my new boss:

Pros: Glowing review
Approval to build a PC for brushing up on Windows Server and VMs

Cons: Denied the Director title. Again.
Boss came unprepared to tell me about my raise or if I'll get a bonus

This is generally what I expected. I was going to pay for the VM box myself but figured it couldn't hurt to turn it into one of my three goals for the coming year and see if passed muster. The title thing is a continued annoyance and her bullshit reasons for denying it are, well... bullshit. Ah well!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I'm confused, you are gunning for a "Director" title, yet need approval to build a "PC to brush up on Windows Server and VMs"?

How big is this company? Because most places that have Director positions, they are high enough that purchases usually do not need approval and Directors certainly aren't building PC's to learn Windows and VM.

It's still small (<200) and I asked because we don't have an education reimbursement program. I buy stuff on my own but wanted to put it out there just to be safe.

The Director title matches up with my responsibilities, especially because they want me to manage two other I.T. Managers at other sites.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Caged posted:

What do they want to call you? IT Manager Manager?

IT M-m-m-anager!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

adorai posted:

With less than 200 people they have at least 4 members of management for IT (you, two subordinates, and your boss)?

I hope you are an IT company, otherwise it sounds like (three) too many chiefs to me.

My boss's original position was eliminated, so they slotted her into Operations under my old boss who is the head of Ops. She spends all of her time on his stuff. There's an I.T. Manager at a single, large site and that's all he and his team work on. There's two I.T. people at another fairly large site. I'm head of I.T. for the whole company and responsible for everything else which means about a dozen other sites and the HQ, all policies, procedures, SOX, contracts, etc.

So the guys they want me to oversee are not part of my I.T. structure per se because I don't typically deal with anything for their sites. They don't report to me, they're under their site manager. It's more like I'm one I.T. person for 100+ people scattered over a couple of states with the bulk of them here in L.A. at HQ. They want me to "oversee" the other I.T. Manager and the other team even though they don't fit into the structure. How do I oversee people that don't report to me and aren't even in my org chart? It's dumb, unless they reorganize things, fix my title and get these guys to report to me.

I'm just going to continue to forget about it and keep doing what I've been doing. Soon I'll have been here three years and the only time this comes up is at my review and then I don't hear about it for another year. As long as I keep getting great performance reviews and raises/bonuses it doesn't really matter. I'm long past hoping to work somewhere where I'm set up for success.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 14, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Looks like I am getting leveraged for an IT director position, can't say I'd be thrilled about it but the pay is good and it is something new all the time. I'd much rather have an engineering job or something but hey can't complain.

Just go ahead and take my job, stripling! :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I DON'T WANT TO BE A DIRECTOR! OTHERS THINK I WOULD BE GREAT GIVEN HISTORY. Would I be good others have told me yes... However, I don't want to go there.

I am not fighting for this position holy gently caress. I'd be tempted to prove to some goons wrong and say YES I CAN...

I never think I know enough thus the dunning krugger.

Look my goal is to rival some VCDX's and be the best net/storage/virtual guy I can be.

I will be the contrarian and say that if you happen to be in a place where you are willing to take the job, then take it. You're at the age for trying new things and getting in over your head, and god knows you have more I.T. knowledge than I did. You also understand that it's going to be more management than anything else and sooner or later you'll need those skills.

Do it. :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

evol262 posted:

Speak for yourself :colbert:

Even if you will never be a manager you will work with managers and the skills will be useful. Also they will frustrate you by illustrating just how lousy most managers are.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

evol262 posted:

Been a manager. Hated it. Married to a director. She hates it.

I could have learned the same skills by reading Hobbes :whip:

Start with Peanuts and work your way up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Had my first performance review from my new boss:

Pros: Glowing review
Approval to build a PC for brushing up on Windows Server and VMs

Cons: Denied the Director title. Again.
Boss came unprepared to tell me about my raise or if I'll get a bonus

This is generally what I expected. I was going to pay for the VM box myself but figured it couldn't hurt to turn it into one of my three goals for the coming year and see if passed muster. The title thing is a continued annoyance and her bullshit reasons for denying it are, well... bullshit. Ah well!

My boss called back to give me my salary numbers: 5% raise (had a 3% raise the first two years) and 10% bonus

I went back and looked at my salary spreadsheet that goes all the way back to 1995. The biggest percentage drop I ever experienced was due to a job change: -23%! Took me about seven years to get that 23% back.

Biggest increase (also due to a job change): 23% :toot:

Biggest increase due to a raise: 20% :stare: (I miss that boss)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dirty mnemonics are way easier to remember. Does anyone really use "Big boys race our..." to remember the resistor color codes?

I've been using

Always
Poop
Sitting (on the)
Toilet
Never
Double
Poop

The mental image helps.

Never double poop. Never.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Anyone have experience with a volume purchase of Dell Optiplex 3011 All-In-Ones? I'm looking at the i3-3220, Windows 7 pro model for $630 a unit. They would be replacing C2D fatty desktops with 1024x768 monitors :gonk:

I've bought a couple and they're ok but really plastic-y. They look and feel as cheap as they are.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm ready for Monday, Round 3. This is the third time I've come to work today, and I hope the last until tomorrow morning.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had to make a day trip to S.F. to one of our sites to assess a multi-story networking and computing clusterfuck. Somehow it came under my control three years ago without anyone telling me about it until just three weeks ago, and now the rush is on to get it sorted out before something goes terribly wrong. Along the way I saw a alot of old equipment still in use.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So which one of those circuits fires the missiles?

There are issues with access to existing conduit so when necessary we have to use an airway shaft and loving rappel to run things like armored fiber. It's a 20+ story building and the shaft looks like something out of Fallout. So... I'm pushing to core out new conduit because gently caress rappelling just so someone on the 19th floor can watch cat videos on YouTube.

The shaft was home to conduit supporting a sensitive government agency, and the majority tenant (who are fuckwads) cut through it in their zeal to rearrange things. How serious was this? Among the emergency calls to see what had happened was one from the motherfucking White House. :stare:

They are now running through very tough and well marked conduit.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 31, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Gonna need videos/pics of this immediately :stare:

I was at the base of the shaft where you'd have to walk out on a ledge of 40+ year old rusted metal grate to get a view up, and since it's unlit you can't see much except a dark gaping maw with conduit and cables running into it.

You can have this teaser view though:

The number plate is an accurate reflection of the condition of much of the building's infrastructure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think that's awesome even though I'm a gnarled and bitter old man not making six figures.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

"The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Corvette Fisher?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

This ain't all of em

Let's put a switch in every cube what could go wrong.

I drew over the IP addresses but it doesn't matter, it's not 128.x.x.x the public IP addresses, it's our internal addressing scheme for our private network. Serious.

This is the sort of thing that makes me feel like maybe I'm not so dumb.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's pretty boss.

Does anyone have advice on how to teach people old enough to have completed a doctorate that it is okay to disagree on things?

Person A: I think we should do this.
Person B: I think we should do other.

Why does a petty argument now ensue? My god man, just because we don't agree on everything does not mean we need to fight to the death, with the winner getting to rebuild the network in his image.

This has been my downfall at the current job. None of my bosses have been able to handle when I have a different opinion from them, which is often because they're so ignorant about technology. And budgeting. And management.

Instead of being two people on the same side trying to solve a problem it becomes an immediate power struggle, by which I mean they quickly bodyslam me and I wind up just doing whatever they want. They are completely resistant to any point of view other than their own. It doesn't matter how insignificant it is, any difference in opinion is somehow undermining their authority. It's absurd.

Bad managers have been the bane of my working existence, and now that I have three bosses it's tripling the excitement!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm over 140 at this point. 20 or so more and I hit the limit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If someone asked me how many golfballs fit in a 747 I'd probably ask if they were European or African golfballs. These questions are just as bad as "what are your strengths and weaknesses?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

slightpirate posted:

My co-worker continues to go down the path of most resistance, and he's been here the longest. Boss tasks us with finding out what computer model(s) a group of 50 users have. I of course, start working in powershell / WMI to get this information. He takes to the phone and just starts calling them.

I'm curious who will get more accurate information that quickest.

How is this information not in a database already? Even at the small places I work I bust out my home-brew Filemaker DB and start getting all the PCs, servers, network equipment, cellphones, etc. inventoried.

How else does a company know many Windows 2000 boxes they still have? :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

insidius posted:

Denver? I would totally work in Denver.

I would move half way across the world to work in Denver.

Careful what you wish for!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

No networking, no office fantasy sports leagues.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Cutting over from POTS to Avaya IP Office this summer.

I am so, so sorry. :rip:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I generated a vacation report from our online payroll system and found that over the last 12 months I've taken three days off. :shepicide:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I work for the kind of people that if something bad happened while I was away would probably fire me, and I don't have anything lined up yet. I'd like to get back to a workplace where management accepts that the I.T. guy gets to take time off like everyone else but it's hard to when you're the only one.

I haven't actually taken a proper vacation since I was a child back in the '70s, the kind where you go somewhere because you want to, not because someone's in the hospital, grumpy parent having birthday, etc.

I should start with something easy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

three posted:

I'd say a large majority of the "I cant take vacation" guys are people that think they're the glue that holds the mold together.

These are the same people that are pretty sure the company is going to crumble when they get laid off.

I don't think any of us are expressing that.

It is fun however when a bad company does crumble after you leave, even if it has nothing to do with your departure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If they were the sort of people who listened to reason I wouldn't have one foot out the door. The places I've worked that had serious problems were because the decision makers would not entertain any point of view other than their own.

It's not because they are not aware of the problem, do not understand the problem or haven't been offered solutions. They cling steadfastly to their point of view despite evidence to the contrary.

At the last place they believed Tony was vital to the success of their business, no matter how many times the Exchange server went offline, the phones were rebooted during business hours, requests for service went ignored, etc. Nothing was ever going to change their mind, even when I brought them evidence of how terrible he was. I left, the helpdesk guy left and Tony is still there, and I expect he'll be there until he retires.

This place is different in some ways from the last, but the same in this area. They are terrible managers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Office 2010 is three better than Office 2007.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

psydude posted:

All of you and none of you are right.

Are you saying we have Schrodinger's Job?

You can't tell if the job is good or bad until you take it and the superposition collapses!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I recently finished eliminating all of our Blackberrys so I'm fine. :cool:

EDIT: Anyone that demands a BB can have one of these.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Time to do a little travel. A manager in Seattle is freaking out because they're moving to a temporary space across the street, and then their permanent home. Two and a half hour flight for a fifteen minute site walk for a five person location.

A couple of days later I'm going to S.F. to our location from Hell to survey all the stupid crap the last site manager ignored over the last three years. That's the building with the Ominous Airshaft that I failed to get a photo of last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If giving out iPhones means I don't have to support Blackberrys then I'm fine with that. Only a handful of users are allowed to expense their mobile (I'm one of them) and the rest have to take a company phone. That also means that I get to put Meraki's MDM on the device.

• Locked thread