Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

On the clock = customers in your ear holes at all times.
For the six months that I did phone support for DSL I've never felt more like I was renting my brain/life/soul out to an employer. What a terrible job, the cherry on top is the fact that you are hired to handle calls quickly...not actually fix things. What you think your job is is not your job. What the customers think your job is is not your job. We've got service levels to worry about.
I just realized that was about 13 years ago. What a terrible job.

I worked support for Earthlink dialup back in the late 90s/early 00s and I never realized how lovely services like that could be. It was no wonder half the people couldn't fix a problem, they weren't allowed to because of bullshit metrics like handle times and all that. Best part was they worked on old-rear end, half-broken Dell desktops still running Pentium 2 procs and maybe 512MB of RAM each. We could always tell when supervisors were monitoring our calls because the screen would flicker for a second and everything would slow to a crawl. Didn't take long to find the process, end it, then figure out what service controlled it and shut it off. No point in monitoring what I do when I get paid to fix problems and the fuckers won't let me fix anything, then wonder why people jump ship left and right (customers and employees alike). At the time I was taking night classes for college and they wanted to switch me to cable/DSL support, but the only training shifts they had were 4pm-12am, my classes were 5pm-10pm, so we amicably parted ways since they had gently caress-all for any other work to do.

Dick Trauma posted:

HAVE A NICE DAY YOU ASSHOLES!

The way you handle this is (1) bring in treats, (2) tell everyone to go gently caress themselves, (3) take the treats back and point to the list showing that "go gently caress yourself" isn't listed as offensive and boss doesn't want anyone getting fat on cupcakes. Watch heads explode and rule changes immediately follow (with possible bonus of boss getting let go).

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

The old facilities director had worked for that company for 11 years. Within three months of working under my boss, that man and his wife both quit. Maybe he didn't like being dragged into weekly four-hour meetings that started at 10:00AM and did not have a lunch break nor lunch provided (four hours because my boss said they'd be four hours, not because they had four hours' worth of stuff to talk about). Maybe my boss just strutted into the other director's office and waved his dick around too much. Maybe it was unrelated to the consolidation (hah). All I know is, after 11 years, he quit after working under my boss for three months.

My dad told me a similar story when working IT at an old job over 10 years back (he and like 40+ other people got laid off) - he had a coworker that was going through cancer treatment, I forget what type it was. His old boss was such an rear end in a top hat that he wouldn't give the guy any time off for medical, PTO, or anything else to take care of his cancer treatments. Dude was working in the office, at home, you name it, all while undergoing chemo/radiation treatment. Dad said the last time he saw the guy he looked miserable, had lost a ton of weight and his hair was literally falling out all over his clothes. From what he told me, that was the last straw for this particular manager and he was literally forced to resign because of that and other complaints from higher-ups. No idea how they allowed that behavior to go on so long but I'd never wish that on anyone, that manager was a disgusting, money-grubbing piece of human poo poo and I hope he has to suffer a thousand times more than the way he made his employees suffer.

CptJackLaser posted:

Can confirm. Did not start at the bottom. Moved into Network Engineering position right out of college and I hate most users.

Starting on the helpdesk wouldn't be so bad. The trick to avoiding it becoming a career is to have a solid plan to move out of it in 1 to 2 years. Either find a way to move up in your own company, or don't be afraid to pull the trigger and move to a new one with better opportunities.

You lucked out either with an area with a good job market, or just really good timing. Took me a few years working IT help desk to make any progress, either because the market was saturated or companies wanted entry level people with like 5+ years experience right from college (laughable) because they were stupid and super picky. I'm at a spot now where I'm in between a field engineer/system engineer, do some traveling but also have been able to brush up on certs, get hands-on with servers and network equipment, and enjoy being able to pass off little stuff to someone below me (e.g. account lockout, password reset, software installs) on a help desk instead of burning time. Made my work life a million times more enjoyable when people trusted my experience and knowledge versus trying to move up or prove myself to some know-nothing team lead or manager that didn't know their rear end from a hole in the wall.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 1, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Can you open a support ticket with Microsoft? There's a small chance they could solve the problem without requiring an upgrade, but more likely they'll say "you need to upgrade" and if you've got a response from a Microsoft engineer that what you're doing isn't going to work, you can pretty much just throw that at the execs and walk away because if they won't listen to that then they won't listen to anything.

Or just set up OWA and tell them to eat a dick and use the watered-down web version of email instead. Unless they still see issues there, which they shouldn't unless there's browser fuckery or they're just plain stupid. Otherwise, yeah, I agree with doing whatever possible to get everyone upgraded and using as much ammo as possible to get it done.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

mewse posted:

The guy who replaced me at my last job had my old workstation die on him, and he couldn't fix it, and he quit inside of a week

When I left my evening shift help desk job a few years back (being the only person who liked night owl shift but hated being the ONLY person on it) it took the company close to 7 months to find someone to replace me. In the meantime 3 other employees quit after getting shuffled to the my old shift in a rotation because they couldn't keep up with half the workload I was handling. Funny part was, I had a process for doing things and keeping organized, they didn't and ended up sticking with age-old rules and "fixes" and got burned out fast. Cherry on the sundae was that I had all my processes and workflows documented on an internal KB website, nobody thought they were useful or always came back with a petty reason to not use them, and it screwed them in the end. So it goes with employers that don't trust their people, nor want to treat them like humans.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Plus they probably had to put up with a billion HEY THIS SITE DOESN'T WORK FOR ME HOW DO I MAKE IT WORK I NEED MY FILES requests over the past year

Agreed, I got to the point of telling any clients without backups that they're basically hosed & getting reimaged. Ones that haven't been hit with crypto pretty much jumped at the chance to get on our backup software & plan. After spending 2 days at a client whose server & 7 PCs got hit, our rule has been to wipe & reload, no point in risking infection on other machines.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Is there a "gently caress doing IT for family" thread? Or is that here?

Because today I had the 2015 equivalent of "hey, you're a computer guy, can you set my VCR clock": "hey, you're a computer guy, can you help me set up my two cable boxes, blu-ray player, TV, and make it all work with my circa 2000 surround sound system?"

I dig my immediate blood-family. My stepdad needs to not try to move a loving TV stand while poundin' back bud lights though, Jesus Christ, no wonder you spilled one. Also, drinking poo poo beer like water + trying to set up an old-school speaker-wire-and-clamps system = me being surprised he only broke the end of one of the six speaker wires. :downs:

I don't think I could ever become an alcoholic. I pride myself on not loving everything up too much.

This is why I'm SO glad my stepdad has been in IT for decades, starting back when he was in the military. He'll ask me about newer stuff that he hasn't messed with before, but otherwise he knows his tech so all I need to do is help pull cable or make sure things are hooked up right. He's actually a big reason I got into computers in junior high, although some days I kinda wish I hadn't gone into IT because some people can be loving dense when it comes to the simplest instructions. Thankfully not an alcoholic, I drink on occasion but my biological dad turned himself into an alcoholic and drug addict, so with the power of common sense I avoided his situation altogether.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't think it was a coincidence. Anyway I'm just going to reimage. I don't have the patience to deal with this.

Tried using a bootable USB or DVD with the OS to do a repair? I've had that fix some MBR issues in the past, might be worth trying out before a full reimage.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is it sad that if I move that internet is probably #2 on my list of "really important poo poo" to consider if I move/buy a house?

Nope, not sad at all in today's world of remote support and telecommuting. I wouldn't want to be strapped with lovely unreliable service, especially if your work location isn't close to home.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

^ Exactly - gotta be able to work from home WHILE you stream Netflix and do some gaming. Have the IT threads taught you nothing? :crossarms:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

fluppet posted:

Its loving awesome when people schedule changes for 6am and then cant be arsed to turn up to do their part

Even better when someone on a higher tier team decides to roll out a patch for the remote tools the techs use, and it gets flagged as a false positive by antivirus. And said tech on the higher tier didn't test the patch internally, nor did they bother telling anyone about the patch. Because apparently testing things before rolling them out is for pussies.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm saddened that we can't take "trash" cat5 cable from work (normally just the clips on the ends are broken) because they "retain information".

Two questions:

1) What moron said this retarded poo poo?
2) Do you own a baseball bat?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Sunofabitch. Two score thousand sunrises upon your firstborn son.

Why am I just now learning about this? Is this a new thing or is it that I've been working on Dells for so long I've fallen into a routine?

I think it's been around a while, Dell just doesn't make it easy to find. On their support site I had to do some digging, but it's usually under System Utilities or System Management as a driver package, just click "other formats" and you can get a CAB file download, extract with a tool like WinRAR, then update drivers as needed from Device Manager.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Sometimes sifting through 488 pages of poo poo reveals the diamond.

:)

Well, "diamonds" is subjective...might find a stray corn bit or a whole peanut occasionally, this is IT after all

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Here we can wfh whenever we are sick. I asked for permission the first couple times and my boss said not to ask, just to let him know.

Same here & our bosses encourage it when folks are sick. Especially after last spring when half the office got sick because 2 idiots decided they couldn't work from home because they didnt want to join a conference call on their cell :downs:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Roargasm posted:

I have altered the network. Pray I do not alter it further.

More like

*waves hand* I resign, effective immediately, use the Force to gently caress yourself

(or alternately - put in 2 weeks, tell them to "use the force" to find and train another employee)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, our lovely AC system. It's some horrible software from who knows how old it is I'm not even going to guess. To change the settings for temperature you change such lovely named variables as A B C D E F and G it looks like they tried to go for 1-4 is heating 5-8 is cooling then they added zones so 9-11 is cooling too. No one can figure out this abomination of a UI so IT handles it. Whatever you touch it twice a year.

There is a scanned copy of handwritten notes in a .bmp on the desktop that was scanned in with what is what. What is wrong with evens and odds, or naming the variables.

Today it's slightly warm and people are playing ping pong with the if they want it on or off and threatening to leave for the day if they don't get their way, CEO isn't on site and saying find a temperature that everyone can agree on. I have it at 75f and if I have to turn that drat windows 98 machine (no go on XP or newer) on again I'm going to scream. When the PC kicks the bucket I have no idea what we're going to do, we'll have to install an entirely new HVAC system since the company doesn't exist anymore.

Time to start looking for a new vendor, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find someone that can work their own tools into the existing HVAC system. Especially running on a PC and OS that are 15+ years old, that poo poo's unacceptable and someone needs a swift boot to the rear end for being cheap and stupid.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I had to rearrange a bunch of client appointments because my doofus engineer partner decided not to tell anyone until last Wednesday that he'd be out this week. We have a system where we email the boss our PTO request & include partner engineers, then mark our calendars. Guess what didn't happen, leaving me swamped with little help? :downs: I seriously want to punch him when he gets back, loving idiot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

mattfl posted:

I guess it just blows my mind that someone that is wanting to make his career in computing doesn't know something that seems like such a basic fact, especially someone who has most likely grown up using computers throughout school his entire life.

Also have to realize that using a PC for web browsing or writing papers doesn't make someone an expert, especially if they've never opened a PC up before or researched the hardware. I'd give the guy a pass & point him to some online resources, maybe give him an old PC to tinker with & get familiar.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Been in the hospital due to diverticulitis & small tear in my colon. I set up my away message for mail & voicemail explaining briefly the situation so folks would know.

I've already had at least 4 people keep calling over & over without listening to the VM at all. All clients with small issues our help desk can fix. loving LISTEN TO THE VM ASSBAG I'M IN THE HOSPITAL :mad:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MF_James posted:

turn phone off for your sanity and health.

Already did, I was keeping my boss updated by text when I first got here & it started blowing up. Been updating him periodically & when I turn the phone on I keep seeing missed calls & no voicemails left. I don't get how they can be so dumb.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not pissing me off - hearing from people at my last job talk about even more employee departures. So far, a systems engineer, project lead, the loving COO, and a support desk person all left in the span of the last 5-6 weeks. That's in addition to the 9 or 10 other people who bailed since October 2014 because of office politics and/or terrible pay. Apparently management have been brushing it off like it's nothing but people are in panic mode because sales keep throwing work their way, and there aren't enough people to do the work, or who are willing or able to put in 50+ hour weeks because of outside obligations.

Ah, what a dumpster fire :allears:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: My SA password is 157 billion years. loving priorities, kid.

Mine's 344,000 years. I feel so...inadequate :(

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 7, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Walked posted:

gently caress vendors trying to blame hardware for failings in their software.
And gently caress the amount of time it takes out of my day to truly prove their poo poo is broken and that the bottleneck is in no way, shape, or form a hardware issue.

:mad:

edit: Sorry, but no, an application doing light SQL analysis with 3 users in "pilot" mode is not stressing a 16 core host with 128gb RAM and SSD storage. I promise you're only going to waste my time and you're going to look bad in the end.

This, but with lovely ISPs - I've been fighting Time Warner for a couple weeks about a client site that goes offline like clockwork every morning between 6 and 8. I've beat into their skulls that we've looked at our switches and firewalls (no issues), had a cabling company check electrical and data cabling for problems (none found), and all TWC has done so far is dispatch a tech to replace the modem....twice. The second modem replacement pissed me off because they clearly said the tech was supposed to check for issues between the TWC equipment and the building - a user on site said "yep, he came in, swapped the modem, and left - wasn't even here 15 minutes". gently caress TWC, I'll be glad when my client's area gets a new ISP option, all they have now is either TWC or another local, even worse DSL provider that's hell to deal with.

Sickening posted:

An employee somehow deleted her pst file that was on her unbacked up desktop. Undelete software shows it as uncrecoverable. Let her know the status and closed the ticket with a "nothing we can do, sorry, it sucks".

Might be a dumb question (and you may have tried already) - is VSS enabled in Windows? Could be worth checking but I'd guess if third party software can't get it back, VSS won't either, but there's at least a possible avenue.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Meet Lando Oinkrissian

That's clearly Porkins

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You have a problem. You check any pop-up errors, you check the native logs, you check event viewer. You take whatever you glean from those sources, you throw it into Google, you read a blog post about the issue, and you fix the motherfucker.

I have a client who was running into a weird server error whenever they ran updates and rebooted - their on-site guy couldn't figure it out, I jumped in, checked the logs and found an issue with a hardware driver that was hanging/crashing. Update driver, reboot server, problem solved - spent all of 30 minutes, tops, fixing a problem that had been happening for months.

EVENT VIEWER MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU USE IT??

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The resistance of people to restarting to solve random glitches mystifies me. I'm not loving with them, I truly believe that it will resolve whatever dumb problem they're experiencing, like a window that didn't redraw properly or a flash drive not responding, etc. :shrug:

This is why I love the remote tool my company uses - can't count how many times someone has said "but I DID restart!" just to try to bluff their way past, then I look at the remote tool logs and see their poo poo hasn't been restarted in over a month. Remote connect, save/close apps, force reboot, and holy poo poo, the problem went away and everything works! :aaa:

gently caress those idiots, quit being a stubborn liar and try what I suggest. I know what I'm doing, you don't, and it doesn't make me want to help when you not only lie to me but act like a dick when my solution works and you wasted a half hour of my time on a 5 minute problem.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

From my experience, this is not a fear these people posses. They legitimately think they are qualified to do poo poo they have no idea about.

It is a little of this, and a little of people not wanting to admit they don't know certain things. Any time I've been asked about something I'm unfamiliar with or have little experience about, it's always either "I haven't worked with that, but I'd like to learn it" or "I've used <x> a few times but would like to understand it more." You sound professional, confident, willing/eager to learn, and don't end up stumbling or faking through like an idiot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

So one of our senior project guys at work decided to give notice a couple weeks ago, his last day is tomorrow. Last weekend, I had a client issue with a Dell E4100, the device lost connectivity a couple times but the logs only show the disconnect time and I'm having trouble tracking the cause.

Said project guy knows the ins and outs of the client network because he was part of a project to install all the switches, backup devices, you name it. He's got a bunch of experience setting up and troubleshooting their stuff, so I go to him to get more info because surprise, there's not much documented for their hardware (again, the job of the project team when they set up and finalized everything).

I call his desk phone, no answer, leave a voicemail. Sent a text to his mobile phone asking if he can look into the E4100 issue. Emailed him and CC'd both my manager and engineer partner, still no response. Boss called me today and said project guy is already cleaning his desk out, bullshitting with co-workers, and has been in the office the last couple days. Yet the rear end in a top hat refuses to respond to anything that requires work to fix and goes into "silent mode" since yesterday.

So yeah, gently caress assholes that quit, don't document their poo poo, and ignore requests for help because it's their last couple days. Hope assface leaves and doesn't ever come back, not the first time he's ignored requests for help but now it's worse because he knows he's heading elsewhere. What the gently caress happened to being a professional and helping out or tying up loose ends before leaving?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

J posted:

Lately every time I step out into the parking lot to leave or go to lunch I find that there is a giant rear end SUV or truck parked way too close to both sides of my car. I can barely open the door wide enough to get in, and then I can't see poo poo backing out of the parking space. gently caress off :argh:

1) Start backing into spots - better visibility when leaving, less chance of an accident
2) Park diagonally, up the ante on the rear end in a top hat shenanigans :v:

In all seriousness though, I've got into the habit of almost always backing into spots because of douchenozzles who can't drive or park their loving street tanks. Best part is hearing them bitch when they're the one at fault and complain about dings/scratches - guess what fuckstick? My car's 13 years old, paid off and I don't care about dings/dents. But I know how to needle the gently caress out of you and play to your weakness of vanity because you think your poo poo doesn't stink and has to be 100% impeccable at all times. I'll live with a ding while you panic over the tiniest scratch and spend hundreds to get it fixed every time you park like an rear end in a top hat.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress you and your iPhone and iPad.

I don't mind setting up your work email account on whatever device you have if you bring it in. But don't bring all your personal devices in too because you joined them all on iCloud and are pissed that they all ring or the wallpapers are all the same or whatever the gently caress else is going on.

I hear this - and inevitably, if something goes tits up with their personal device, it's YOUR fault. Because they surely didn't gently caress anything up between the time you set up email and the phone broke because they were checking messages in the bathroom and dropped it in the lovely toilet, or it fell out of their pocket face down and the screen shattered.

I make it a personal point to cover my rear end whenever setting those up, or flat out refuse to mess with personal items (at most I'll send an instructional doc with screenshots). Plenty of places I've worked have stopped letting people use personal devices because whenever it breaks, it's never their fault, always the fault of IT or whomever helped, and has potential to make the company/person liable for damages. Best part is when rules are documented about personal/work items and people sign off but don't read it, then get pissed later when their drive crashes or system needs a wipe from a virus and we didn't recover their precious iTunes collection or family photos. "Oh hey, here's the part where we specifically stated if your system crashes, we only recover work-related items. Personal music, movies, photos, or anything else not directly related to your job isn't our problem. You didn't read before signing, that's YOUR fault."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

If you used cached folders it'll store everyone poo poo in the OST on your machine

Time to kill offline caching and let her regret her decision when it takes 47 minutes to compose and send a message

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

poo poo still annoying me - people calling my work cell and not listening to the voicemail, or emailing and not paying attention to my out of office message. I had surgery on 11/6 for diverticulitis and had 8-9 inches of my colon removed, I'll be on short term disability until around the first week in December for recovery. Yet people still call or email multiple times and both me and my manager have to explain that yes, I just had major surgery, I'm recovering and limited to what I can do, and we have plenty of other engineers and techs to assist. STOP CALLING AND EMAILING AND LET ME RECOVER IN PEACE YOU TWATS

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

skooma512 posted:

How the gently caress do the Don's of the world continue to have jobs? I've never felt like I've had any leeway in any job I've had to show anger or treat people that way.

I wonder the same thing - I mean, my late grandpa was named Don, but he was a stout, burly farmer that did lots of manual labor all his life.

My last job had a client with a manager named Don and that guy was a colossal dick that knew next to nothing. He'd blame something like his PC being slow on our MSP monitoring software or antivirus app. After a week of back and forth calls/emails trying to set up a time to look at it, I finally checked his PC during lunch when he stepped out of the office.

3 antivirus programs. At least a dozen different malware infections. Freeware programs that were known to have built in malware/spyware/rootkits. His CPU was almost constantly pegged at 60-70% because one AV scan would kick off, then the second would start, then the third, all while he was browsing the web with various toolbars. Oh, and it was on a PC he didn't want to upgrade from XP to 7, because it had some old-rear end, unsupported time clock software and he didn't want any proposals for new software that worked with existing and future OSes.

The company he worked for got acquired by another larger company and last I heard he got let go. Couldn't happen to a better guy. :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

On call over the holidays, terrible snow weather and lovely drivers, and to top it off, 3 different people brought their toddlers in the office and I get to hear them scream loudly while I talk on the phone and nobody says poo poo about it. Jesus people, get a baby sitter or take your kid to daycare, I've got a loving job to do and having your loud-rear end little kid running around and shooting me and other people with Nerf darts is irritating. Yay for making IT work even more stressful, dickholes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

poo poo pissing me off - people that don't understand file/folder security.

Had a client email in with a screenshot of a file she was working on, with the Properties dialog up showing the Security tab. Someone was listed in Security that she thought shouldn't be listed there and she was afraid this person would have access to files/folders they shouldn't. Too bad she neglected to pay attention to the little detail that every Deny box was checked under that person's name, so they wouldn't have access to the file/folder anyhow. User bitches up a storm about security and sensitive data and all that, CC's her manager on it. I asked if that person needed access to that specific network drive, let alone any folders in it. I check through all the folders and see the user is set as Deny on all but one folder that her boss requested she have access to about a year ago, so she can only see and use the one directory and can't get to anything else.

Apparently she no longer needed access to that drive or folder but nobody bothered to tell us, and now this one user is having a coronary about it and including almost the entire office on her stupid tirade. I ended up just removing the person listed as "denied" from everything on that drive, regardless of whether it was set to allow or deny. Normally wouldn't bother me but the lady pitching a fit was a complete and total oval office about everything and freaking out over a non-issue, never once did she address the manager who requested access for that user, just directed all her vitriol at me like I was the one at fault. Yeah, gently caress you too lady, next time you have your little bitch-fit I'll be sure to make myself scarce and watch you suffer.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Sickening posted:

Yeah lets not go all scorched earth on an entire generation based off of one employee.

Is said employee bringing all this stuff up verbally in their exit, or have they started trying to drag people down via email too? More curiosity than anything, I'd love nothing more than to hear you got a call from someone on her behalf as a reference, and basically said "yeah, she's an unprofessional idiot who got fired for insulting the VP of IT, then spread rumors around the office about all her co-workers. Hire at your own risk". Or even hear that they get denied unemployment because they got fired for cause and aren't eligible, a nice double gently caress-you from the company.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

poo poo that pisses me off? Macs being such a pain in the rear end to set up for anything, including software to freeze/thaw the OS or having to dick with multiple sudo commands to make simple changes. Case in point today:

Have a client moving to software for reserving time on PCs and Macs in their workspace. All PCs/Macs have deep freeze software on them to prevent changes to the OS. Software works great on a PC - double-click tray icon, thaw out, reboot, and you're done. On the Macs? Nope. Required to log into the software's management console, manually select every Mac to thaw, then reboot each of them twice. Or three times, depending on how finicky a particular Mac wants to be.

Then we get the software for reserving computers - on a PC, you simply thaw it, reboot, install 2 executables, configure server IP, reboot again and test. On the Mac? Install one DMG, add server IP, change permissions on install directory, run 3 sudo commands, reboot, install second DMG, change directory permissions, run 2 more sudo commands, update a config file, reboot again, and pray everything works.

Got four words for Mac in general with their idiotic decisions: gently caress you, Steve Jobs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Eh, it was a contract position. I think the "never take a counter-offer" is situational, and it sounds like you thought they were phasing you out, anyhow; since it doesn't seem like that's the case, and it sounds like the current job is a better fit, and they matched your pay and let you work from home... I probably would have done the same thing.

My only concern for Jony would be making sure that if he takes the counter offer, to get it in writing. Too often I've seen people here get screwed when they find a better job, their current job promises a raise and perks, so they ditch the better offer and get hosed by management. Not saying it'll happen for sure, but it's a bit concerning that his bosses didn't tell him anything BEFORE he gave notice...and usually, when someone gives notice, they've reached the point where they've tried everything and keep getting screwed.

Either way, good on Jony for getting a raise and perks, hopefully they actually follow through on the work from home piece and he can relax a bit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Some gently caress head in Customer Service decided to go into the networking closet and PLUG HIS DHCP SERVER INTO ENGINEERING'S SWITCH. WHAT IN THE GOD drat gently caress.

I'm super pissed about this as it cost me 8+ hours on Friday.

Sounds like it's time to start looking at who has access to server equipment and ban chucklefucks like this from getting in. No reason some non-IT customer service jackoff should even be allowed near a network/server closet, period.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Newegg is claiming the switch we sent back in for a return isnt the one they sent us because the serial number on the box doesnt match the serial number on the device.

1. No poo poo. You sent us the wrong switch from what we ordered.
2. You sent me one box, which I sent back to you.

If they switched their inventory it's not on me to fix. And yet I've gotten to spend the last two hours on the phone going back and forth with these people.

I guess I've lucked out then - I actually (stupidly) bought an open box item, I believe it was a 650W power supply because I had an old one die on me. Got the box and supply...and some rear end in a top hat had bought the supply I wanted, swapped it out for some janky no-name unit that probably came from an off-the-shelf shitbox OEM tower, then returned it. I just sent it back for a refund and bought a new unit instead, I'm sure plenty of folks have had luck with open box items but it amazes me that seemingly nobody checks the items when they're shipped back and tossed into used/open box inventory.

I still buy from them because they've never given me trouble but agree that it's irritating that they moved from tech-only stuff to having their own outlet or having other sellers who gouge the poo poo out of customers. Case in point, they had some 120mm fans I was looking for to mount to my CLC radiator that were something absurd like $30 a piece. Went to Amazon and found the same exact fans for less than $10 a piece, brand new. Not Newegg's fault but it sucks having to sort through that crap to find good deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

It's actually not horrible anymore, as near as I can tell it's feature equal to google maps. It just gets ignored because everyone defaults to google.

And everyone defaulted to Google because Mapquest sucked rear end. Last time I used them was a few years ago for a road trip, the directions looked sketchy so I used Google instead. Google took me right to my location, Mapquest said the same location was like a half hour across town, both using my home address as the starting point. Mapquest may not be as bad now, but they were poo poo for long enough that fixing their problems now is a moot point, especially with smartphone GPS nowadays.