Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

I'm hoping this was none of you

http://it.emory.edu/windows7-incident/

The updates are their own record of hilarity and worth reading, but here's the crux:

A Windows 7 deployment image was accidently sent to all Windows machines, including laptops, desktops, and even servers. This image started with a repartition/reformat set of tasks. As soon as the accident was discovered, the SCCM server was powered off – however, by that time, the SCCM server itself had been repartitioned and reformatted.

link posted:

We are close to having a more automated process to reimagine computers

I don't have hands on experience with SCCM but how the hell does it deploy itself on top of itself? I'm not sure if I want to ask what kind of crazy combination of settings led to this or if I want to ask why this doesn't happen more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So on my day off we sold a customer an HP Envy 4500 which is I guess some lovely ink-based all-in-one thing. I get sent to the customer's home today to set it up along with a new computer they bought and stuff, get it all hooked up and I know they want to print from their iPad so I go to put the thing on the wifi. Oh let me just give it a static IP, lets see, log in to the router, move the DHCP range a bit so there's room, go to set the IP on the printer, IP...ok...subnet: 255.255.255.0 "Invalid Input: Each number segment must be 255 or less."

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Also why are you just now getting an e-mail about IE10 coming out?

I'm sure you're joking but he probably means rolled out internally. God I hope.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kensei posted:

An old school manual can opener works really well to open clamshell packaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WHRr1w05pM

stubblyhead posted:

Agreed, this is an old-school manual can opener.

I've tried using the crank kind to open packaging before without much luck. Utility knife works great though.

This is what I thought of as an old-school manual can opener. :smugbert:

Siochain posted:

I miss that so much about my old job. I'd usually come in 30-60 minutes early to tool around and get some things done before the shop opened. In return, if I took a 1/2 day here or there, or needed to get to an appointment or whatever, nobody cared. I'm sure it worked out really in the negative for me, but I was happy, and they were happy. Its one of those things more jobs need to let you do - problem is, someones always going to gently caress it up :(

I'm salaried and officially only have 5 days of PTO, but as far as I can tell nobody tracks that and I've definitely taken more than 5 last year despite only having become salaried in April. As long as they have notice and I don't abuse it, it seems like it's fine, but it could be that if I actually ask for an answer they might stop to think about it and arrive at a less desirable conclusion.

As for poo poo pissing me off today:
Macs. Specifically my unfamiliarity with them, I probably understand the deeper structure due to mild Linux experience better than I do this UI and where to find anything in it. All I had to do was plug in Ethernet cables and install an HP MFP, turns out one of the macbooks doesn't have en ethernet port, and HP's driver website is returning server errors instead of download pages. Having leaped over that hurdle I'm faced with the realization that the MFP mac software contains no scanning support of any kind beyond both device's mutual support of SMB. To top it all off, the one Windows laptop in the office is infected and can't even install the software.

I've gotten a few of these absurd "Task A can't be done because problem B which can't be solved because problem C..." situations back to back and it's really causing me to question my own competency just from how time consuming this poo poo ends up being.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

flosofl posted:

Give VueScan a spin. It supports a staggering number of scanners. It's an ugly looking program, but it will do the job. And Apple's built in printing system (based on cups) should be able to use the printer function. If it's got a fax as well and that's needed, well.. I'm out of solutions at that point.

Yeah the thing is I'm not there to solve those problems or bill extra for them, I'm there to execute the original scope of work, and it's just annoying getting wrenches thrown in left and right. Would be nice if I knew the printer model ahead of time. or if 3 computes weren't mistaken for 2. or 2 printers for 1. These aren't really technology problems folks.

Turns out HP M575 Color Flow (wtf does that mean) only does SMB scanning even on windows. It's consumer level counterpart does like 6 different ways.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eldercain posted:

*snip*

I'm a programmer and I'm paid like a programmer and this is a huge waste of my time and your money.

*snip*

And of course, the training does not count towards my "productive time" performance metric :geno:

You're a programmer with time-spend-based performance metrics? how does that even work?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

5 and a half years ago when I was graduating college and looking for jobs, I got in contact with a placement agency and after a face to face meeting where the recruiter asked me to send him my references, and then he fell off the face of the earth.

I got a message on LinkedIn from the same agency today. I doooooooon't think so.

A usual cause for recruiters vanishing, especially ones that deal with recent graduates and are thus likely to be new themselves, is that they've gotten fired. I'd at least hear out what this other guy has to say.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

mewse posted:

There isn't really a punchline. A giant $4000 scanner showed up and is now sitting in the middle of our work area for a problem I fixed months ago.

And yes she is saying she wants me to say "SORRY, CAN'T HELP YOU SET UP A SCANNER" because of politics between her and the subcompany.

Haha... ha..

Wait, maybe I read it wrong or something but you didn't really fix the problem, you just refunded the scanner that didn't work. I realize the rest of it isn't really under your control.

A modern HP scanner that does not communicate across subnets though, what model is that? sounds fascinating.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Windows isn't that old. The PC didn't even come out until 1981, Windows 1.0 was 1985

I'm guessing the meaning there was DOS, wikipedia lists 86-DOS as being "demonstrated" in 1979 and released in 1980.

I asked my DID vendor if their control panel can give me an option to select time zone so that I can see call records in local time instead of GMT, and instead of telling me they're working on it he proceeds to spend almost two actual talking minutes trying to explain what GMT is and how it's the center of timezones and that everything globally works on GMT. Yes you rear end in a top hat, I know what GMT is, I'm just asking for basic display functionality found in basically anything I can possibly sign up for on the internet.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 30, 2016

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Because it is a system designed to be as confusing as possible to employees in order to keep them from realizing what a poo poo system it is for them.

It is not "a system" it is literally two entirely separate unrelated things, the only thing in common is that they're both employment-related.

How are people not confusing at will with vacation time? or right to work with maternity leave? or with lunch breaks, AAAH.

That is in fact poo poo that pisses me off.

Also pissing me off is finding out we have a bunch of websites hosted on one host, with the domain on another host, and the actual zone file on a third, different host. Adding points of failure is not redundancy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

go3 posted:

you're really white-knighting corporations in the US

ooooook

A verbal attack on unions does not automatically constitute a defense of corporations, they could both be bad in their own way.

The core idea behind unions was the individual workers banding together against the much larger corporations. When the union becomes a large corporation in itself, it starts behaving like one.

If I'm anti-Trump I'm not automatically pro-Cruz, you feel me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

Words can change over time to have different meanings, and the offensiveness of the word can also change, better point this out in the loving poo poo that pisses me off thread

Sure, but if we're still having to say "smartphone" on occasion because clamshells or whatever are still in use on occasion, that time has definitely not come for that word, as evidenced by a bunch of people getting immediately offended by it.