Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I swear if I have one more loving person tell me that I "Should send out instructions on how to do this..." after not reading the last 3 loving emails I sent on "how to do this" I am going to lose my poo poo.

I usually tell them that I've sent an email to the entire organization, and to search their inbox for it.
Typical response is: "I didn't see it" or "I don't read those" or "I deleted it, can you send it to me again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
god drat I can't even.

I got a request to come 'help everyone figure out their phone problems in person' from $DepartmentDirector
My boss was CC'd and so was the $DeptDirector's entire dept.
My boss went apeshit asking me how we could have so many problems and who is down and what the issue is and so on...
I said I have no idea, I thought everyone was good except the people that don't have new phone numbers yet, but we're VERY aware of that already.

So I obliged. I asked that everyone please briefly tell me what the problem is so I can fix what needs to be fixed on my end before coming over.
Nobody replied.
Like, at all.
Not even after 3 requests for information.
So at my boss' request I went over there to find out what the gently caress was going on.
Nobody I talked to seemed to be having any problems except that they didn't know how to set up their voicemail, so I told each and every one of them individually to please read the email that I sent them and follow the 2 steps that are in there for setting it up.
I doubled back after talking to everyone and nobody seemed to have any problems so I said IDFK to $DeptDirector and got the gently caress out of there.

Well... loving $DeptDirector decided to send me kudos today and cc my bosses and their bosses and his entire department and now my boss is having a nuclear meltdown and asking me why I went over there in the first place (forgetting it was at his request I guess?)

Now I have to write a long rear end email to everyone on that chain explaining that there were no problems, and I did literally nothing but waste everyone's time including my own, and how they're wasting resources and how this isn't proper protocol and blah blah blah...
I'm sure if I get a reply then my boss is going to have me double down and escalate the issue to some sort of inter-departmental committee meeting where we waste a shitton of time to explain to them how this is all a giant waste of time.
I can't wait.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Antioch posted:

One of our new helpdesk guys showed me a couple of his PowerShell scripts and asked for help getting them working so I immediately opened up our GitLab to him and gave him my copy of PowerShell in a Month of Lunches. Why would you not want to cultivate that in your people?

My boss hates anything he does not understand. Including powershell.
And yet we are an all (or as much as possible) Windows environment.
We have a single server for every thing/service/database/whatever, a full install of regular ol' Windows server for each one.
So much wasted space.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Who else has to deal with people who are compelled to contribute to email chains while adding nothing of value at all?

me too!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sickening posted:

Shared logins have no reason to exist.

We use shared logins for vendors because gently caress if you think I can be arsed to keep up with setting up new support guy every time their lovely application breaks. We just provide the VM.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had so many issues with telling MPLS providers to make routing changes and them completely loving it that I'll actively try and avoid using it wherever possible in favour of something that builds VPN tunnels over the Internet (appreciate this isn't an option for SCADA stuff). I'm fairly sure a lot of the problems caused by change requests being done incorrectly could be resolved by the way these providers design their forms - I've seen some horrendous change request forms for firewall rules. It shouldn't be too much to ask to have an API pull out the current config and then you make your changes before submitting it, rather than having to guess what might already be in place.

I mean in this day and age SD WAN is the answer for 90% of clients that think they want MPLS.

E: or at least a hybrid of the two.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

stevewm posted:

Well that was fun to wake up to...

Apparently early this morning one side/phase of the power surged and dropped out. Caused the UPS on that side to go into bypass mode and briefly cut power to everything connected. Thus causing our switch stack and routers to failover to their redundant pairs (yay at least that worked!) Several breakers in both breaker panels for the building (we have 2 power services) popped.

The UPS for the phone system went into an error state and shut down entirely.

So that was a fun morning.

we used to have a very similar problem occur very often.

one phase goes out.
Backup generator does not come on because there is still one phase live.
All sorts of weird poo poo happens. Phone chargers work, pretty much nothing else does.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Garrand posted:

loving lol at this poo poo show of a building move.

First we literally didn't know when we were going to be moving until the day of. We also had no idea how things were going to be moved; turns out it's us packing all our own poo poo and hauling it over in our cars. We didn't have to move desks but we did bring chairs and monitors and everything else (moving from complete open office to cubicle farm so desks were already installed.)

Now that some of us have gotten set up to man the phones so the rest can move over, turns out our assigned seating was wrong and we will have to move to the other side of the cubicle farm once the rest get set up in the correct seating.

That section of the room hasn't had their lines tested because they focused on this side since that's where we were going to be seated, and there was a ton of issues on this side the first time around so lord knows what is actually functional over there.

ETA: oh yeah, and the reason we figured out the seating was hosed was they have 2 people to a cubicle here, which is fine as they're actually pretty big but there's only one line for the Poe phones. So once the rest move over they wouldn't have been able to actually plug in their phones.
This area was meant to be for something else.
"Hey you. Yeah IT guy with the truck. Guess what you're doing today..."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bobmarleysghost posted:

Yea dude, why did you consent to them using your truck?

Should have stood up for yourself and said no. This is insane.

It was a small company. The place was a total clusterfuck and hanging on by a thread. I did everything I could to keep the place afloat despite being paid like $32k for 80 hour work weeks.
I quit and the whole place imploded on itself like a couple months later. 500ish people lost their jobs.
oh well...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Large signature? Here's one that came in a couple weeks ago.

Is that a loving bitmoji?

cage-free egghead posted:

It's sad the lengths people go to keep their foot in the door. Working yourself to death for $15/hr is ridiculous.
I was salaried, but if we're counting hourly, it was like half that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 23, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

devmd01 posted:

Eh, I like working on Christmas Eve, literally nobody is in the building. Boss just called from his PTO to tell us to gtfo at noon, and I’m finishing up Mr Robot.

I came in early :shrug:

It's nice to be able to spend a few hours closing tickets and not have to worry about what poo poo is hitting which fan today.
I'm also going home at noon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I spoke to our Network Engineer earlier, who was the only guy at work this week who was a part of the team that interviewed our new Systems Engineer.
Apparently there are no misconceptions about his abilities. He is expected to be a helpdesk tech and the lowest guy on the totem pole despite making twice what our current sysadmins do.

Sucks for them but cool that everybody is on the same page I guess. I kinda wish I could go back to resetting passwords for my current salary though.
No. Actually, I don't.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Neither. GREAT timing.
2 years and zero hires later I think my boss is really feeling the pressure and isn't able to use the excuse 'we don't have enough people' anymore.

After losing most of our talent we haven't been able to keep anyone for a reasonable amount of time. Boss/manager tend to drive them out as they're sorta difficult to work for.

And I guess we couldn't hire him to be anything else because we don't have any other vacancies besides 'Engineer'

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We hired a new guy from a helpdesk job straight into a Systems Engineer position out of desperation who has an experience level of 'I used to reset passwords sometimes, but I know that vSphere exists' and I swear to God if I hear, "Well at my old job" one more time I am absolutely going to lose my loving poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yo what the gently caress Accellion?

I put in a ticket because our service stopped working.
About a week later, they replied "you don't have enough licenses."
The gently caress? I'm holding the receipt for $ALLTHELICENSES
One week later... "The administrator needs to remove some people's licenses. Here's a screenshot of where to do that."
Uh... I don't have access to that page. How do I get there? Did you provide me the wrong URL? Aren't I the Administrator?
Another week or so... "You need to access the Admin website, here is the URL for that site. Yes you are the administrator."
I can't login. My password isn't working and your password reset link isn't sending me an email.
"I'm sorry to hear your having trouble. Your account is inactive in our system."
Okay... apparently our license expired? We have 0 licenses. What happened to the licenses I paid for just a couple months ago?
"You need to download the license file from our website and upload it to our website."
WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? IS THIS REAL LIFE? ...I can't download the file.

"Yes If the link has expired, we need to send you out another but that is not done by support.. You need to figure out how to get a new link to the license file so that you can download it from our website and upload it to our website." :psyboom:

How loving silo'd is your org? Jesus gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

And I thought HPE were bad for sending you license keys on little bits of paper that you then type into a website

You literally follow a link in an email to their website to download the file and upload it to a different page on the same website.
What in the actual gently caress?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Does anybody have any experience with walkie talkies (ok, ok, PMR radios if you want to be all proper about it) and interfacing with something else? I'd like to be able to give 6-8 people in a warehouse a radio but allow for people in the office to call into the group that the radios are on if they need to get a quick answer on something or let them know a delivery has arrived or whatever. Obviously with the one-way nature of radios that could be tricky but a system where a phone user dials the radio system and then a radio user pressing to talk lets them talk while the person on the phone stays quiet could be workable.

Is this something that exists or is it such a usability nightmare in practise that nobody bothers?

I am familiar with Morotola Radio consoles and handhelds, (like police dispatch radio consoles/consolettes) but they're hella expensive.

Edit: from Motorola's website:

quote:

Phone Interconnect is a software component available with TRBOnet Enterprise and TRBOnet PLUS. It allows to connect telephones and radios and also has a capability for a dispatcher to make/receive telephone calls through the Dispatcher Console, manage multiple phone lines and organize conferences.

Radio has a capability to initiate a phone call using Text Messages, DTMF and Contact List (for Wireline systems only).
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_xl/application-catalog/trbonet-phone-interconnect.html#features

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 17, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
It sounds less sexist than addressing a room full of men as 'ladies'.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sfwarlock posted:

magic pixel, i'd think

So if you have to click to download images/content then you're good right?
Good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

That’s how it work with knowbe4. We have outlook set to not download by default so just opening won’t trigger it. We’ve gotten all of our users trained pretty well, even with ramping up the difficult my over time.

Helpdesk just gets a lot of “Is this spam!?!?” tickets, which is a lot better than dealing with cryptolocker.

I was talking about swarflock's case where you can't even open the email in preview pane.
That would be real loving rude because I'd have to turn off preview pane to be able to click on and delete an email (unless I dock my tablet and use a mouse) then turn it back on to continue my regular email-ing?

Not pissing me off: I took a day off yesterday and the rest of my team got a "Surprise this office has to move everything to a new building 2 weeks earlier than planned with no downtime" dumped on them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

I walked over there and found a Dell PowerConnect 3424 (welcome back to 2004!) up in the attic. Dug around for a serial cable, dicked around with the config for a bit (unsuccessfully) yesterday for an hour or so.
I had one of those nuke the ARP tables on my network when it decided to become the root bridge because someone disabled spanning tree on the core Cisco switches we had. It was of course because it had the oldest MAC of any network device in the building. It got there because one of my coworkers picked it up at goodwill for like $2 and used it to connect like 20 unused desktops to the network so he could mine Litecoin.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D34THROW posted:

So I have to email for approval on POs. Not that abnormal, except that my boss takes a week to get back sometimes, which is really inconvenient when I'm out of material.

In order to facilitate this, I email a PDF of the PO from our ERP (Dynamics NAV). But there's a catch! If I click "Save to PDF", it says "Could not find part of the default path: C:\NAVTemp\default.pdf", but if I click "Send as PDF" it works fine and I save the PDF and cancel the email. What the gently caress is going on here :shepicide:

It uses different processes to assemble the PDF based on selection? And one of those two is broken?
Linda like saving a pdf and "printing to PDF" are not the same thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sign... new guy.
Our newest guy was given a ticket to fix a problem with a website that we don't manage. We just provide the infrastructure for it, and the company supports it. He was told to contact their support and have them fix the issue or at the very least provide us with details about what we need to do to resolve it. (I already knew that we needed to open ports on the firewall but I have no idea what ports their software requires).

After several hours of troubleshooting he proudly proclaims that he "might have found the problem" and then points to the fact that you can't reach the website even on the server that hosts it.
Like an rear end in a top hat, I said, "if you know what the problem is, then why isn't it fixed?"
Bro if we wanted you to troubleshoot it we would have asked you to figure it out, not to contact support. Instead you just wasted all that time to tell us what we already know and still haven't even taken any steps to resolve it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

D34THROW posted:

But doesn't it have to save the PDF to a temp directory to generate it to attach to the email in the first place?

You're assuming it's saving it to the same temp directory.
Maybe they're different and one has broken permissions or doesn't exist and can't be created.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I already hate Airwatch. It's a complicated and fragile piece of poo poo that barely works right on the best of days.

But putting firewall rules that deny all traffic to the DMZ server, deleting the public DNS A and CNAME records, and changing the credentials of every service account without notice or documentation, and then expecting me to just magically fix it all when I discovered that it's broken is just too much.

I fixed all the aforementioned things and it's still broken and I'm at my wit's end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

We use a mobile app for 2FA on our VPN. A workaholic who has been here for over 10 years working 50+ hour weeks said it wasn't working for him and he badly needs VPN access. I checked the logs and he's on an iPhone 6 and the app won't support devices using an EOL'd OS.

He came to see me yesterday and I explained why he can't use the app on his iPhone, which is five years old, has a shattered screen and is slightly bent. Turns out that it's a company phone, so I told him to just request a new phone from the office manager. He's long overdue for one and can probably have a replacement by Monday. He mumbled something about how he wants to be "fiscally responsible" but seemed to understand.

Today I get a voicemail from him (he usually works from home a few days each week) saying that he has some ideas about how to "get around" the problem with the app so he can keep using his old piece of poo poo phone.

I'm not returning that call.

My boss asked me if I had seen an article about soft tokens.
I said "I guarantee you I probably have" so he describes the article to me: "The one that says that all soft tokens are totally insecure and all smartphones are compromised and that there's no safe way to implement 2fa except for hardware tokens?"
I said no, I was thinking of the one that mentioned you shouldn't use a phone with an OS that is out of date.

Turns out it was the same article: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/mobile-auth-app-hack-rsa20

But he's using it as grounds to recommend we discontinue using 2FA.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

And Teams has poo poo itself. Well done Microsoft.

And of COURSE I get assaulted by a half dozen people on my way into the building asking "How long before Teams is deployed?" and I'm like what the gently caress are you talking about?
Apparently that's a thing now. The org wants to implement Teams by the end of the day. I just laughed and said, "if you can tell me what the gently caress Teams is, and what it's for, I will not leave my desk until it's done." Nobody had any clue.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Pissing me off: the influx of people bum-rushing my department stomping their feet demanding they get priority because, "they're the most important."
Telling them to figure it out amongst themselves did nothing, they all agree that they're the most important.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

Specifically for meetings:

WebEx < Skype for business < all others < Teams < Zoom

Any questions?

:colbert:

What if you're using all 4 of those and also... the "all others"? Because we are. All within the last few days.

Also I've been asked to deploy a Vonage phone system proof of concept, get Softphones working on our current phone system, am looking into using Grandstream Phones + Asterisk over VPN , and adding Conference, Phone System, and Calling plan to our Skype for Business, as well as writing up a proposal for M$ Cloud PBX and Teams.

We literally need only one of those things but my pleas of "please just assume they all can do exactly what you want and loving pick just one" have fallen on deaf ears.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We just had a report of a coworker who tested positive and I poo poo you not my boss suggested that we just quarantine in the office instead of at home, "because we have a shower."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bull3964 posted:

That's not how any of that works!

Or maybe it does for him, ask how many people he has at home. Maybe we have some sort of cult situation going on.

I mean he's literally suggesting we do not ever leave the room we are in, so yeah that's exactly how that works.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bull3964 posted:

My point was that you don't achieve effective quarantine by grouping a large number of people together when only a few may have been exposed. Less chance of infecting people if everyone goes home and quarantines there.

Lol if you think my team is "large" and we're not all probably already exposed.
But yeah your point stands and he's being ridiculous.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I am about to lose my goddamn mind.

I set up a "Covid-19" response line where citizens can basically call in and talk to someone about 'the coronavirus crisis' instead of calling our police department and wasting our Dispatcher's time complaining that they're out of toilet paper and their favorite nail salon is closed.

Volunteers are supposed to man this line, but since none of them are essential personnel, they're all stuck at home.

So, I set up a voicemail box where people can hear updates about the situation and leave a message requesting a response if they need to talk to someone.
Voicemails get forwarded to a shared mailbox that everyone can check. They can mark emails under certain already configured catagories or flag the emails or mark them as urgent or forward them to the health department, etc...
It's a very good system actually and everyone agrees. Lots of volunteers can use it concurrently and everyone is happy.
...for exactly 4 hours.

Then I get a request to replace it with softphones for every single person who could possibly man this line. We are not licensed and like half these people don't have loving internet so we can't use our phone system.
I build a whole 'nother Asterisk phone system that the softphones can connect to and test the proof of concept and everyone likes it.
but we can't just have a public facing PBX because that's "a security risk" so it has to be behind a firewall. I ask to open up ports and NAT all the right things so that these softphones will actually work and my request is denied because, "that is insecure. Use the VPN"
So we are back to volunteers who do not have internet or company owned computers issued to them not being allowed to connect to the is softphone.

So, I just built out a whole phone system in Vonage that is "in the cloud."
Anyone can just download the apps to their desktop, or phone, login with the credentials we provide, they all share the same extension (not even a ring group :rolleyes:)
It's like $50/mo and there's no restrictions, ITS doesn't have to manage it, it does voicemail to email, it does IVR's it does loving everything you could want in a phone system and crisis management line.
It does literally everything. It's perfect.
I present it. Everyone is happy.
...for about four hours.

Now they've all changed their mind and the plan is to have calls forward to a single cellphone that they will take turns using.

Meaning non-essential VOLUNTEERS manning this "Covid-19 Response Line" will have to break quarantine, leave their house, to come to the office to physically hand the device off from one person to another. :thumbsup:

Unless they plan on doing a dead drop in a Clorox bucket or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

J posted:

Someone took home a desktop to work from home on monday without telling anyone. Management has already told everyone not to do that. Obviously the desktop didn't work, but they did not say anything about this either until today. :thunk:

Yeah we had like a dozen of those.
We sent out an email to every manager directly informing them of the process.
We sent out an org wide email informing them of the process.
We had a meeting with every department head where they all literally SIGNED off on the process.

Then like half of them went back to their offices and told everyone to pack it up and go home.
Luckily we had managed to push the VPN client to most of those desktops so only about a dozen couldn't access the network and had to bring their computers back.

But then my boss bought a Teamviewer license anyway "so we can install the client for them at home" after we had already fixed them all.

They didn't even need to bring them back in the first place because we can do remote support through Teams, or Skype, or Webex, or Zoom, or any number of things we alreay loving have.
I am pulling out my loving hair dealing with all this stupid poo poo, do whatever you want, panic buying, not listening to a word I say about anything.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've taken to doing ten pushups between calls and email requests. Feel like I should watch a YouTube video on making shanks.

If you take the fan off your CPU heatsink and run Prime 95 it will get hot enough to melt down the plastic parts of USB drives into a flat, sharp edge. You can then strip some wire out of an ethernet cable and use those pairs to affix your new USBlade to the other end of the cable giving you a pretty decent flail.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 26, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
OH MY GOD I just wasted like 3 hours of my life getting this lovely loving softphone to register to our PBX over a goddamned Cisco VPN only to find out that we aren't even licensed to use this lovely loving softphone FUCKKKKKKKKK.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wargames posted:

I got a ticket about our VPN, we use cisco any connect and the user requested vpn cables so she could plug in her vpn.

This is the most amazing thing I've read all day.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 8, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m not sure that calling someone’s wife a class traitor unironically is very nice, but if you absolutely must can you do it in DnD or CSPAM with the rest of the shrieking ball of rage that is this forum’s politics?

Here’s something currently pissing me off.

20% of my company is going to be laid off in the next few weeks, nobody knows who and SLT isn’t saying poo poo. So we’re all just working under a vague cloud of impending doom.
I'm willing to bet the layoffs have already been determined so everyone should just stop working.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nemo2342 posted:

I keep a styptic pencil at my desk along with my own small first aid kit, since I don't trust anyone to make sure the one in the breakroom is stocked.

Same.

Also, you all are in IT right?
What gives you the right to go home at night? You have sinks in the office, shave there. Or are all of you just disgusting neckbeards?

"Quarantine? Good. You can quarantine right here in the office." (Actual words uttered to me by my boss)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kyrosiris posted:

You murdered him on the spot, right? Because good christ.

I coughed in his face and took the next 2 weeks off, "because of a possible exposure."
(My wife works at a hospital with a lot of Covid-19 patients.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

klosterdev posted:

Treating you like garbage isn't an excuse to potentially infect and kill him and the people in his social circle dude

I hoped it would be obvious that I'm not literally attempting to spread a deadly disease but here is my disclaimer:
I did not attempt to spread a deadly disease.

I did immediately go home, and not return to work. I told them I would be back when they had taken appropriate measures to protect their employees.
After 2 weeks they closed the building entirely.