Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nitrogen posted:

quote:

Per the Fire Marshall, please do not plug a power strip into another power strip as this creates a fire hazard.
Hah. I visited a "datacenter" (of the ubiquous closet/storage room-turned-datacenter variant) where I found four daisy chained consumer power strips ultimately plugged into a single socket.. The power strip nearest the socket was hot to the touch. :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Most power strips I have come across are rated at 16A, which is more than your average fuse allows you to draw anyway.
These were cheap-rear end white power strips made from plastic so thin you could almost see through it, the kind you can buy a three pack of for $5. I doubt they were rated for anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dennyk posted:

When cold people don't get their space heaters, the next step is usually bitching at and/or bribing facilities until the office thermostat is set to 80 degrees year round, so be careful what you wish for... :v:
Since our entire office is on a central UPS, space heaters are strictly verboten.

We did get the issue with people in one room turning the thermostat up all the time, so we modified it so you can spin the knob all you like but the actual setting doesn't change. The people complaining about the cold still claim it's better after they fiddle with the dummy thermostat. Placebo! :eng101:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 27, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That duration is not in minutes... :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

This new company seems to LOOOOVE conference calls, I kind of loathe them and think they're the opposite of anything resembling productive.
I prefer a conference call over a face to face meeting when it's about inane poo poo that could be solved with a couple of emails but someone insists on having an hour long meeting about. With a conference call you can put yourself on mute and do productive things when someone inevitably starts jacking off to the sound of their own voice, while in a face to face meeting you have to pretend to be attentive and you can't do actual work during it.

^ That too

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Urzza posted:

I know this is a super late, but I just found out if I drag-and-drop this QR code into the address bar of chrome, it opens the page it goes to.
Well I learned something new today! Thanks!

e: I feel tricked now. :colbert:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I'm glad we didn't know these commands with NT 4.0. My CS major classmates and I hosed with people enough just using netsend.
I used to send a ping of death to people I didn't like in computer class in high school. NT4 workstation was vulnerable to that and it would just hard lock the computer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Version 2 has apparently been out for a long time now, but they didn't "feel like" upgrading us. :psyduck:
I'm on a crusade at my company to annihilate any old web apps that are not at least functionally compatible with IE11/Firefox/Chrome.

I've also convinced my boss (who holds the dollars) that we're drawing a hard line on taking on any web apps that aren't cross browser compatible, because I'm sick of being hamstrung and exposed to years old browser vulnerabilities by lazy web developers. Because if a web app only works in IE, you can be sure it will only work in THIS version of IE, and in a few years you'll be stuck supporting IE11 when you should have upgraded to IE14 ages ago.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

The time I sat down at the beginning of the day and the time I stood up at the end were, in fact, the ONLY things that he evaluated me on. Oh, he wrote numbers for all the categories on the official performance review. But start and end time were the only measure of my worth he cared to employ.
Let me guess that he never involves himself in your workday otherwise? Like asking how your projects are going, if you can handle everything on your plate, if you need backup etc? You know, things that managers are supposed to do. I've had lovely managers like that who only care about how much time you spend in the office and not how much work you actually do, because time is the only metric they know how to measure.

e: Clothes chat, do like a friend of mine occasionally does and wear a highland dress to work. :scotland:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 3, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Convince the company to lease him a company boat.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 6, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dennyk posted:

Yep, more or less, though we can do the monitoring from our laptops while at home at least. Still makes for a long week, though. Especially this week, since I get to do monitoring plus rebooting servers for kernel updates until 5 or 6AM this coming Sunday morning. :toot:

I'm trying to get the weekend after next off to get some stuff done for my trip and maybe actually rest a bit, but it's not looking all that promising so far; already got one group who wants to do a major migration that Saturday night. :sigh:
What are you getting paid for giving up your social life?

It's not enough

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Java. gently caress Java. gently caress Java forever.
There's not an IT worker in the world that won't agree with you here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Java the language is okay I guess. Java Runtime is a piece of poo poo that someone should loving hang for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:10bux: says the consultant was getting a kickback from the software provider.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm inputting the serial number and attempting to add a server of that model to my profile, and the website is like uhhhh I don't know what you expect from me. Just the worst.
I miss Compaq's web site. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

If I had to create one more ROMPaq diskette...

:argh:
I had repressed that memory. But my point still stands, Compaq's web site was (mostly) easy to navigate and didn't have any bullshit hoops to jump through before you could download drivers, firmware updates, boot images and so on. They even had pages with information and drivers for end-of-lifed models!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. 169.254.0.0/16 is the address block reserved for IPv4 autoconfiguration as defined in RFC 3330.

e: If Windows doesn't have a static address configured and doesn't get a usable reply from any DHCP server it will fall back to autoconfig.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

Totally agree. I think this can also cover employees asking you to fix their personal poo poo. Charge 3x your hourly wage (or equivalent if salaried), or else they can haul their poo poo to Geeksquad to be told that they need a new PSU and a helium-doped power cord to fix their iTunes crashing or whatever.
For me this entirely depends on if I like the person who's asking or not.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

No for some reason it's best to have 50GB+ worth of temp logs that don't cycle the old out or tunk.

BECAUSE: REASONS!
"Oh we don't need transaction log backups, our weekly full backup is enough." :suicide:

Then you have the nice pitfall of SQL Server secretly running your databases in Simple recovery mode (transaction log is discarded after commit) -until- you set up database backups, then it switches to actual Full recovery mode (persistent transaction logs).

So you'll have a rookie DBA running things in a test environment and everything works peachy. Then it's moved to production and he/she sets up daily/weekly full backups, and eventually on a busy day everything stops working because the transaction log disk is full.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

meanieface posted:

Thanks. One of my coworkers has openly admitted to not knowing how to build a computer. This may be headed his way.
He's got a whole bunch of "How to" videos that are all in the same style.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On the LJ 4200 my previous employer used I always made them say "INSERT COIN / CREDITS 0".

The MFPs with graphical displays don't let you change the home screen. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

code:
SKU      | DESCRIPTION                            | QTY | PRICE
D-001328 | 3' CAT6 PATCH CABLE - RED              |   1 |  1.14
I-017551 | HASSLE-FREE 30 DAY RETURNS             |   1 |  0.00
C-000231 | 14 DAY PRICE MATCH                     |   1 |  0.00
K-311452 | WORLD-CLASS CUSTOMER SERVICE GUARANTEE |   1 |  0.00
B-007128 | DO YOU WANT TO HANG OUT SOME TIME      |   1 |  0.00
U-007128 | PLEASE WE GET REALLY LONELY            |   1 |  0.00
T-092113 | THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS            |   1 |  0.00
T-092113 | THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS            |   1 |  0.00
:golfclap: Subtle.

Volmarias posted:

Better emails with no subject and a body, or emails with the body in the subject?
I don't mind it when people send emails with the entire message in the subject, as long as it's a short and consise message. Like the receptionist lady sending me an email that just says "You have a delivery, 2 large boxes" in the subject. It's all I need to know, and writing anything else in the body would just be a waste of time for both of us.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sounder posted:

- Set an administrator account on the server to auto-logon.
- Better yet, make that a domain admin account.
Had an application installed the other day. The vendor insisted that the application should connect to SQL Server using 'sa'. :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, thankfully the amount of support calls I have to go on to "help" irate old people with their ancient Blackberrys and vague, unreproducable problems has dropped to pretty much zero.
It's probably because the hardware in their Blackberries is two years old and has thus bricked itself like pretty much every Blackberry we've used has done within 1 to 12 months after its warranty expires.

When Blackberry is dead I'll take a number and get in line to piss on their grave.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

I feel as though if a cellphone is required for my job, they should loving buy it.
I agree with that. We're about to roll out MobileIron to replace blackberry, but we'll most likely say that either we give you an iphone 5C, or you get like half the price of a 5C in cash and you can go buy your own phone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't use Type Ms or similar buckling spring keyboards in an open office environment though. The noise drives everyone else crazy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BYOD - Sure, fine. No subsidy - Go eat a bag of dicks.

Your employer should supply you with the tools you need to do your job. If they expect you to use your private phone for work without compensating you for it then just treat it as if you didn't have a phone at all.

At the very least they should foot your phone bill, but every BYOD implementation should come with some sort of phone subsidy.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 9, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I would literally fill in "A reason"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lum posted:

Can I call the indirect discrimination card here? :j:
At least in winter you have this as an option: https://www.beardhead.com :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pissing me off right now that isn't specifically related to the workplace: Web pages that jump around while loading. Especially forum threads that have a bunch of pictures.

Why the hell can't browsers just keep the viewport relative to where you're looking at the page, and if more content loads outside of view above the viewport shift that part of the page upwards so the viewport stays at the same place on the page. Currently all browsers just keep the viewport relative to the top of the page. :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"It is a feature not yet available in OBIEE 11g." :cripes:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Just heard that a company I used to work for went to discretionary time off for people at manager and above. This means there is no vacation pool, you can take vacation according to the needs of the business, ie, never. Most management people, due to time in grade, have at least 4 weeks vacation. While they are not allowed to roll it over, by this time they may have 2 weeks accrued. The company has stated per their lawyers, they do not need to pay out for any vacation lost.
That's amazing. They could have gone around the company and personally given everyone a punch in the face and it would have been less of a gently caress you than this.

If that's for managers, I'm guessing vacation for non-managers means "you'll still be working, but we'll give the guy hired to repeatedly punch you in the kidneys some time off."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Laptop PSU chat: gently caress you HP. gently caress you for having two differently rated PSUs that have the same connector and look identical except for a miniscule difference in size and a 5 point text stating the power, where the lower rated one won't power up half of your models.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the 90W PSU isn't the problem.

The problem is the 45W PSU the EliteBook G1 uses, which is nearly identical to the older 65W only slightly smaller. The 45W will not power an EliteBook 8xxx at all, it just refuses to turn on.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Company finally made a decision about what they are doing with company provided cell phones and BYOD, and its even better then I imagined. Currently, many of us are handed ancient blackberries because we either travel, have to work remotely, are on call, or want to feel like special snowflakes. A BYOD thing has been in testing for a couple of months, where you get MobileIron installed, and get a sandboxed mail client in there, in return we get to reimburse up to $50 a month. I never got around to this as I like the disconnect between work and home, and honestly the Blackberry is good enough.

So today, the news comes out for how the company is handling this, you either put MobileIron on your phone and take the $50 reimbursement, or you go to StraightTalk and pick up something and get reimbursed for that amount. They didn't mention if they would pay for the phone, but I'm going with no.

I said if that was the case, I wasn't going to get a work cell phone, and my boss got quiet. He said that I would need a phone, and I told him I agree with that, so they should pay for one. I ask if we would later on be asked to help chip in and pay for the electricity bills at work. He says that isn't similar at all and walks off.

I feel that if work requires me to have a cell phone, then they should pay for it. After all, they want me to do computer things, but I don't have to buy my own laptop (yet). Company is worth billions, we are having strong profits every quarter, yet lets cheap out on this.
Until I got to the "having profits" part I was all :tinfoil: about you being one of my coworkers. This is pretty much what we're doing right now except so far there hasn't been any reimbursement at all discussed, and people who currently have a blackberry will get it replaced by an iPhone 5C.

If I get tasked with purchasing the phones I'll make sure everyone gets the salmon pink one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"Either you take our subsidy/phone and we get to call you 24/7/365, or you don't take our subsidy/phone and we get to call you 24/7/365."

That's how it's worked in most of my career, anyway.
Call ID is your friend.

Unless I'm getting paid to be on call I'm not answering my phone outside of work hours, regardless if work paid for the phone or not. Exceptions exist of course, specific people can call me because I trust them not to be idiots about it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Caged posted:

Because a PST file will poo poo its pants if you look at it slightly wrong. This is almost certainly going to happen if you access those PSTs from a network share.
One of the few things our central IT has done right is roll out a group policy that disables the use of PST files and instead enabled Online Archiving for all users.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure if we had dumb time reporting like that here (fortunately we don't), the response to a stunt like that would be

:reject: You need to work on updating your time sheet faster.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Basically all professionals require minute by minute reporting. Every law firm that I have ever worked at required that lawyers account for every 5 minutes, with time codes and work descriptions.
When it's time you're billing customers or work with internal billing I can see the point even if 5 minute granularity still feels like massive overkill. When I worked at a company that practised internal billing we reported in 30 minute chunks, and as a consultant my billing is per hour. Most of my customers are longer term though, I know other people who work more with short stints bill on a 15 or 30 minute basis.

But if you require every minute accounted for when all you do is internal work it just reeks of insecure management that think they can't trust people to be responsible adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

g0del posted:

My first job stuffed 3 people into a tiny office while 3 other offices in the same hallway were empty, all because office space was 'rented' from another part of the same company.
We have a similar thing going on. We have access to two floors of our building but we're shoehorning everyone into a single floor because not using the second floor means we can pass half the office rental cost off to the parent company.