Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

RFC2324 posted:

Gonna say that once the artist has finished using the hooks etc, it should get punted back to you to fix all the poo poo they failed to implement properly, then back to them one more time to make sure you didn't break the looks too badly.

This. Every time a designer makes a form they never consider how it should look when there are errors in the form or even what happens when the form is submitted.

It looks like garbage with error messages? Too bad - you never considered that, you get the default style for error messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

We use Gmail for work emails, is there a way you can filter emails that only have a subject but no body content? Several times a day people will send through garbage like 'There's no milk in the fridge' in the subject line but no real email and I don't need that popping up a notification every time.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I think the word you're looking for is filters.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

I know that but I was more asking 'how do you set up a filter that says subject not blank but body is'?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Posting on behalf of my coworker.

We work for a small-ish digital agency that recently re-launched the website of one of our largest clients. My coworker is a front-end developer who has spent weeks on the project and is kinda solely responsible for how good it now looks.

The client recently got in touch to announce they are having a celebration of the launch and have invited... the designer who mocked up the visuals, the project manager who picked up the phone and relayed client requests and our MD who was not involved in the project.

Feeling that Christmas spirit already.

:negative:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Shouldn't your PM / MD take the initiative in this case to give their place to the dev? Or is that not how your company rolls?

If only. "A meal and night out at the client's expense? Sure, you can go in my place"

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

One of the problems I have here is that the CEO and my boss do not want to hear technical details of anything, ever. I also get essentially no opportunity to even describe these things I want us to buy.

There's an I.T. consultant they both love that always creates PowerPoint presentations using SWOT analysis and the like, little bullet point matrices that make things as easy to digest as possible. I'm building one right now that starts with dumbed-down descriptions of Azure and O365, will have a SWOT table with the most basic explanations possible of how we get things we want from these services, and finish with a summary that says BUY THESE THINGS TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

We've taken over hosting and development of <client>'s family of websites, but the domains are still controlled by their previous developers. Even with an account with the same domain provider and transferring ownership of the domains internally from one account to another, the only way I can control DNS records is by 'suspending delegated hosting' which erases all current DNS entries. I spoke directly to their support to be told there's not other way. Every DNS record has to be erased and recreated manually, regardless of whether they are changing or not.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

poo poo pissing me off...

I've been finishing my work sooner than expected so I am rewarded with picking up other people's jobs they are dragging their feet on that I am not familiar with at all instead of new projects. I'm also having to work on projects that were handed off to another agency over a month ago because they still haven't gotten around to taking it over yet.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Salesforce.

My job isn't sales & marketing yet I have to evaluate saleforce and work out how to train our client how to use campaigns because ... my colleagues developed their website?

Also the Campaign Monitor integration doesn't work properly. 'Click this button to add people to an email list'. I clicked it several times last week and it still hasn't gone through.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

porkface posted:

If you're in IT and you're being asked to manage Salesforce someone seriously hosed up. It's a sales tool and it needs sales management to define how they want to use it in very clear terms to be successful.

If sales was sold on the benefits but they don't have an expert in a Sales Ops role, they need to contract that to a firm that understands how to train sales people and teach managers new tricks.

Pretty much. I was originally asked to take a look at it and after about 5 minutes I said "this is a job for a rep from Salesforce. Why do you want me to sell this to you?".

I guess they didn't like that answer and gave the job to my coworker instead, who clearly didn't tell them to gently caress off.

Now he's on vacation and the job's come back to me.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Pissing me off: Gmail. We use Google Apps for Business and twice this week my account has been "Temporarily Locked Down" because it itself froze. I tried to insert an image into a message and when it took a minute before anything appeared I refreshed the page and I've been kicked out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Pissing me off: Gmail. We use Google Apps for Business and twice this week my account has been "Temporarily Locked Down" because it itself froze. I tried to insert an image into a message and when it took a minute before anything appeared I refreshed the page and I've been kicked out.

Update on this. Apparently I somehow exceeded the bandwidth limit of 750MB an hour on a day I sent 10 emails.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

This sounds like an endless source of hilarious stories. Does he try fixing everything y selling people printers? Does he just rage out and smash ink cartridges? :ohdear:

He just installs adobe reader

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Super Slash posted:

Goddamnit, if only there was a digital version of a DO NOT TOUCH - WET PAINT sign.

Yesterday and today was spent installing, upgrading and migrating financial software and databases from one server to another. Everything gets completed and we get ready for users to start using it, then one of them pipes up "Oh I already submitted a number of payment plans this morning".

Oh cool so now the original and copied databases are now different, no way are we doing everything all over again so you'll just have to suck eggs and do it all again. I understand it's way too easy to mess things up if you leave something you are about to get rid of alive and accessible, but it was communicated to not use this software until I've given everyone the green light along with details.

Me: OK, I've set up a staging version of your new website here <link>. Please only add new content on that site because it will be replacing your current site entirely.
Client: But I've just added 12 news articles to the old website, you have to copy it all over!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Just had an email from a client who, instead of ADDING a new CASE STUDY to their website, decided to EDIT the case studies PAGE instead, deleting all the content on it. Then they wondered where the case study page went.

As a bonus, when I called to try and clarify what they had done, everyone had already left their office. At 16:30.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

mewse posted:

You have back ups :ortiz:

Yeah, all the content has revisions too. That's why I called, to see how back I need to revert.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Password policy at my current place of work
  • We use the same password for a lot of different accounts, several with root/admin access
  • People here give out this password on the phone without a second thought

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Any chance you can run a simulated phishing attack to quantify just how much data and infrastructure can be lost / stolen / destroyed?

I have a little faith here that people might be wary enough of a dodgy looking email, unless it was spoofed to come from a client email address. Over the phone though? Not even a pause.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

The longest I've ever been at one company was just shy of four years, and I'd been looking to move on for a while at that point. I really can't conceive of staying at one place for such a long time. My dad was a college professor and spent about 35 years at the same school.

That's because academics fear the real world. My Dad works at a university and professor left at 50. He had no idea how to go about getting another job since he never had to find one before.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Just had an email from a client who, instead of ADDING a new CASE STUDY to their website, decided to EDIT the case studies PAGE instead, deleting all the content on it. Then they wondered where the case study page went.

As a bonus, when I called to try and clarify what they had done, everyone had already left their office. At 16:30.

Got a followup to this from the client, essentially asking why we charged them to fix their website for them after they broke it and left the office early.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

The people in my office haven't discovered that shared calendars are a thing so every time somebody takes PTO they send an email to every member of staff to let them know they are off for one day. And then it is followed by numerous replies of "I'm off tomorrow too" or "I'm off next week" or "I'm off for two days in September".

These same people also don't turn on out of office auto replies either.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

xzzy posted:

Doesn't payroll have to keep track of vacation usage? It should be their job to offer a leave request service.

I assume so but whatever system they use (we're a separate company sharing the same office) clearly doesn't make the fact they're on PTO visible to anyone else.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

So one of my colleagues, either by accident of incompetence, deleted/corrupted all of the databases on our local development sever. All 75 of them.

The solution that she came up with, and that our director is somehow happy with, was to wipe it clean and say "individual database backups can be found <here>, you can restore them as you need them"

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Currently pissing me off: I took my current job of 'Backend developer' several months ago on the premise that I'd be working on, y'know, backend projects. Turns out that while the company has a ticket system there isn't any kind of dedicated 'helpdesk', so tickets get assigned to any developer.

What this means is I often spend half - more than half of my day, every day, doing support for:
  • projects that don't have documentation
  • projects that don't have handovers from previous developers
  • projects I have had no training for
It's a huge waste of my time, the client's time and the company's time. I've brought this up to my manager and in my review only to get vague and noncommittal responses like "That's just how it is here", "Everybody's busy" and "We'll get something sorted out". When I vent to my colleagues they just kinda groan "oh, that project" or "yeah, that's how most of the tickets are".

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Pissing me off today:
  • My manager just got signed off work for stress, which I sympathise with but it means a lot more work for our team because the company is not going to fill the gap
  • Some work I did for a client a month ago isn't working despite fully testing it before it went live. It took me a week to do it last time because I got no handover or training for the project (still haven't). Testing the process in production takes days and relies on two separate third parties.
  • My current projects are weeks behind and more than likely to miss their deadlines.
  • I'm currently looking for a new job but the only application I've had any movement on is for a job I don't really want
To clarify: I don't blame my manager for being taken off for stress - I completely understand and hope he gets the rest he needs. I blame the company for letting things get this bad despite multiple warning signs (hint: he's not the first manager to take time off for stress).

I feel that 'pissing me off' isn't quite right because at this point I'm so weary of this crap that I can't give a drat.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

pixaal posted:

Keep looking you'll find something. You currently have a job, it's not a great job by the sound of it, but it also sounds like you aren't stressing over it just an unending pile of comical mistakes.

The company doesn't sound like they care about their employees at all and are more than happy to run them to burn out. Go into full gently caress it mode and do the bare minimum to keep your job. Don't work outside of hours (unless it's required). You need that time to find another job. If it's really stressing you out and you really give no fucks you can always play "How long until they fire / speak with me for not doing off hours stuff".

Everyone has been at a lovely job like this, you will find something, and everyone here want you to find a better job.

Thanks. I was concerned about coming off as selfish but this job's really taken a lot out of me.

Another point I forgot to mention: I need to get in touch with a client who's dragging her heels on a project but the last time she called she yelled at me down the phone about a problem I hadn't worked on the hung up on me when I tried to help her :smith:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Fuuuuck, just got turned down for the most promising job I've applied for. nothing else is progressing :smith:

I feel like I'm in that stupid graduate position where I can't move to a new job because I don't have enough relevant experience, but I can't get enough relevant experience unless I get a new job.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

As far as I can tell they don’t know which name server is actually being used and keep adding it to the wrong one. Using whois is apparently beyond them. I’ve asked if they need help, if they can just do a screen share, nothing.

I've been there, usually found it quicker and easier to just get logins and do it myself, but if they aren't even to do a screen share...

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

Also at 15 years I get 4 weeks of vacation.

Wait, do you mean 28 days or 20 days PTO? Because where I work 28 is pretty standard for new hires.

source: I'm currently looking for a new job and getting offers of 30+ days

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Yeah, I got 3 weeks/15 days PTO right out of the gate at my new job, and in 5 years I'll get 4 weeks/20 days. Plus, the company shuts down for the week between Christmas and the new year, so I essentially get 4 weeks/20 days right now, and 5 weeks/25 days in 5 years.

Which country are you in, nexus6?

:scotland:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

PTO was one of the biggest hurdles when I was job hunting. I've got 9 years seniority at this place (they were bought by the company I worked for, I transferred in and they were sold, but I maintained my 2009 start date), which comes with 3 weeks PTO and 5 or 6 sick days a year, and I get a 4th week (20 days) in almost exactly a year. Pretty much nothing I found comes close, most places start at 2 weeks and then offer a 3rd after 3 or 5 years.

PTO is nearly as important to me as salary and insurance (which is also fantastic), I actually turned down an offer because they wouldn't move up from 10 days PTO.

At my last place I was there for more than 5 years and it got bought by a bigger company. Said bigger company had perks for longer years of service but instead of transferring our start dates they reset everyone to the day of the acquisition so they didn't have to give people an extra 2 days PTO.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 14, 2018

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Doesn't TUPE cover you in that situation? Or did you not lose out, but just didn't gain anything?

I didn't lose anything but didn't gain anything either. To be honest by that point I was already planning on leaving so I didn't care that much.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've got a client that nags me on his tickets about twice a day. Things like "What's the progress on X?", "Have you done Y yet?", "What's the feedback on Z?" and on and on. It's a full time job managing this and I've got a hundred other things to do without a notification popping up every few hours "When can we launch X?"

I'm real close to just snapping back "I did not build your site. There is no documentation on how it works. The developer who made it won't give me details. Despite repeated requests I've still had 0 training on your site's framework. I have no idea what's wrong with your site. I have no idea how to fix it. Leave me alone."

The guy's probably just pissed his site isn't working, he feels like he's not getting any help and he doesn't know about the training and other stuff but it's really pushing me to my limit. Sales must be loving magical here because I know he's threatened to leave more than once (and I wouldn't blame him) but somehow we're still getting work on this poo poo.

Edit: What kind of CMS/eCommerce platform doesn't have any kind of event/error logging?

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 20, 2018

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Agrikk posted:

“Dear Customer,

Eat a dick (please).”

This is magical and pretty much how I've been communicating to bosses when they say "Why aren't you progressing X for the customer? What's going on?"

Agrikk posted:

well then there’s not much to do except bitch on dead gay forums and polish the knobresume.

Way ahead of you! The job hunt is slow though :smith:

My current plan is to see if I can move into a new position the company is currently openly advertising. If it turns out I can't, well I'll take that position at a different company instead.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've never had a job where there were offices. Everything is open plan :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

Open plan has actually been proven to reduce productivity

4 day weeks have shown to increase productivity too, but no manager I've ever worked for believed it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Sickening posted:

And like a previous poster said, the people making the decisions rarely are sitting in the open office. Funny how that works.

Job #1: Open office except director who had his own office
Job #2: Open office except CEO who had his own office
Job #3: Open office except senior staff who had their own offices
Job #4: Open office, nobody had their own office
Job #5: Open office except managing director who had a desk separate from everyone else
Current job: Open office except senior staff who have their own offices

Whaddaya know

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. So not only do we have an open office plan, we're a remote office so we spend a lot of time on calls to the main HQ. Other people making noise/playing loud songs is obnoxious enough but we often do video calls so you get idiots in the background too.

We are also encouraged to call clients directly. No need to have a Project manager or Client Services team for that- you do backend work, you also manage the client. And the whole project too.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Lol, I just looked up my employer on Glassdoor and all the 5 star reviews (7/25) are from 'Current Employees' and the rest range from 'OK' to 'IT sweatshop'.

I should have looked before I took this job.

:negative:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

New Marketing Director (owner's daughter) is tryin to push everything marketing-related to IT's budget.

Hootsuite? IT. Some Wordpress plugin they bought for the website? IT. Their adobe CC subscriptions? IT's budget.
It amazes me that there are stil people who think "It's to do with computers, must be IT" like anyone of them could do any of their jobs without using a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

We've got a customer whose website is a buggy mess because the developer who built it did it bespoke without any kind of documentation for it and has since moved onto other projects.

So, rightfully, customer is quite annoyed about having so many issues and creates dozens of tickets for them. What's the solution for an angry customer who has lots of bugs and is mad about how long they take to get fixed? Why, you simply assign those tickets to a team that have no history on the project, no training on the underlying framework, and badger them about how these delays are making the customer mad!

It's also helpful to have people from Sales jump in on the ticket, promise the customer a quick resolution then moan at the developers "this should be an easy task for you, fix it now".

Also:
:downs: "Hey, nexus6, do you have time to work on this ticket?"
:what: "No, I don't. I already explained to you, to my manager and to the CTO that I can't work on these tickets you keep assigning me unless I get some training on them. Otherwise I don't know what I need to do and the customer just gets mad that we are wasting time. They've already threatened to leave more than once"
:downs: "I'm just going to assign it to you. The customer's mad so you better get it fixed quick. When they complain I'm just going to point at you"