Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Over the summer almost every single one of our inkjets' print heads gummed up (due to low use because I work for a school, I guess :shrug:).

Things that are pissing me off today: someone has managed to delete a ~200gb folder full of student and teacher work for our entire junior high. Thankfully, we have shadow copies enabled but this is going to take most of the day to restore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I haven't done any investigation yet but all the students can only read/write. The teachers have modify so it's possible that they deleted it and were too embarrassed to say anything. Our IT team is only 5 people and two of them work at other campuses so I guess it's possible that one of the other two had messed up somewhere.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Throw them away. Inkjets are poo poo.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've been pushing laserjets pretty hard for anyone who needs a personal printer and they're finally starting to listen. I'm going to scream the next time I see a clogged up print head. The best part is that a lot of the newer ones we were buying don't have any user serviceable parts.

Caged posted:

Get auditing enabled on those shares. Even if you aren't allowed to call people on deleting stuff accidentally it at least gives you a bit of a lead in tracking down if it's some dodgy software wiping things out.

I should have done this right when you suggested it. It looks like someone logged in and nuked all of our shadow copies on that server in the middle of restoring it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to go back to "inconvenience" from "catastrophic failure". Does anyone know how to possibly restore deleted shadow copies? All the drives in the server's raid 6 array are healthy. Our previous sysadmin thinks it might have been a software hiccup somewhere but I think it looks malicious. And before anyone says anything, I've already changed all of our domain admin passwords.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Thankfully, the machine is pretty much just a bulk file server with a large raid array in it since it was built before we moved over to virtualizing everything. Unfortunately, it's also the host to a bunch of our DFS shares and it's too vital to take down for the day. It's been on our list to phase out and re purpose but we haven't gotten around to it yet. What's really great is that my boss is out for the rest of the day, I can't reach him, and I'm flying solo. :toot:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

:psyduck: How do you do that accidentally?

There's no way it was accidental. How does three months worth of shadow copies just disappear without a trace when the raid array's healthy and I'm the only IT person on staff at that moment and I was in the middle of a restore? There's a couple other factors, such as an admin account logging on to the server at 7:19am when none of the IT staff was on campus yet, but this screams malicious intent to me.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I guess you could try something like Recuva - I can't imagine the file would be intact though.

We've been running Recuva hoping it would work. It found some stuff from 2011 but nothing recent. We're trying the Deep Scan functionality but the estimated time on that is 15 hours. Maybe it'll find something more recent.

All the Microsoft documentation regarding shadow copies basically says you're boned once they've been deleted so I've given up trying to recover them. I've got my fingers crossed for Recuva though.

Crowley posted:

Oh dear. Time to start documenting EVERYTHING you encounter, get the boss in on it too so he doesn't think you're the idiot who can't handle a simple accidental deletion.

Oh, and change all your "extra-rights" passwords, from backup accounts to test accounts to admins. (You've already done this, I assume, but it still bears mentioning)
He knows I'm not super incompetent at my job (just mostly incompetent) and that I wouldn't botch up something so simple. We went over everything when I got in this morning and he also thinks it was all purposely done. He has a meeting in about an hour with all the junior high teachers and gets to tell them that all their class-specific work that was in that DFS share is now gone. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 1, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

sanchez posted:

Do you really have no other backups? What was the plan if the raid controller had poo poo the bed on that server and corrupted the volumes? It happens sometimes.

We do manual backups at the end of the school year and every couple months but that doesn't help, say, the yearbook teacher who just lost all of their data for this year. The server's a slightly special case since we don't have anything else with enough storage space and overhead to currently do backups of it. The messed up part here is that we've been talking to a bunch of backup partners and have been looking at building a proper backup solution that would be able to handle that server in particular as well as our aging NetApp that we wanted to implement in the next couple months.

Keep in mind this is a small-ish non-profit school that hates spending money on technology (our budget has shrunk every year). It's like pulling teeth to get anything nice so we've been working with what we have. Hell, our primary core switch is an ancient Catalyst 4006 that sounds like it's about to keel over any day now.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

Sounds like it's YOTJ time then if possible. These sorts of organisations don't deserve to have people with ambition and talent working for them.
The benefits here are crazy and, for now, make up for all the other crap that I have to deal with. They cover medical, dental, and vision. They do 10% matching to my 403B and pension. Maybe in the future but for now, I'll deal with having to pull teeth to get anything that's not free/donated/second-hand.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Over the weekend there were 65mph winds which knocked out the power for 24 hours in most of the county where I live/work. It took six hours to get our aging NetApp FAS 3020c back up and running (it was refusing to even talk over the console) which basically just reaffirms that we need to replace this thing.

Things pissing me off today: Came in and was promptly informed that the finance server was down. OK, no problem, the virtual machine probably just didn't come back up from the power outage over the weekend. I fired up Hyper-V manager and someone had deleted the finance virtual machine from the host. Thankfully, all of our virtual machines are backed up by several machines running DPM so this should be simple but I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu. :tinfoil:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

NO THROWING ANYTHING OUT EVER :mad:

Might I interest you in some Word for Windows?

I should have put a post-it with my username or something but I assure you, those are real discs we have sitting over by our pile of spare hard drives.

EDIT: Image updated

Helushune fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 4, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

See, I just dump poo poo like this in the trash when I see it.

We found them when going through an old storage cache we didn't know existed along with a bunch of other stuff like Win2k Server, SQL Server license packs (sorry, License Pak), BackOffice 1.0, and a bunch of other ancient stuff we recycled. Every student we have has never seen a 3.5 floppy letalone a 5.25 so we keep them around to show them. I have a couple old zip disks on my desk that they like to look at as well.

Content: IIS can go straight to hell. The power outage apparently took out two of our WSUS servers and everything I'm reading about the errors point to a bad IIS configuration. The control panel is absolutely awful to make any sort of heads or tails of and poo poo is hidden in all sorts of nooks and crannies of various submenus. I'm at the point where I'm just going to virtualize them which is what I should have done when I first got the job.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

TWBalls posted:

Oh, boy... Looks like Dell has updated their support site again. So far it hasn't pissed me off, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I know when they changed it the last time (probably about a year ago) and a ton of links were dead, that was pissing me off daily.

I gave up on their support site back when none of the links would load/take over 5 minutes to load under Chrome. I started using ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/ with ctrl+f to find what I want and have never looked back.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

evobatman posted:

Do not use that, it is no longer updated!

Go to http://ftp.dell.com instead, they have messed it up with javascript and poo poo, but it's still quicker than the support web page.

Thanks for the heads up. I've only been using it to find network drivers to inject in to the WDS boot images but I think several of my fellow employees use the site to grab drivers after the machines are imaged.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

mewse posted:

The words "While you're here" are pretty deadly

It's how I frequently get roped in to week-long projects that weren't on our radar or doing someone else's job for them (I just finished doing our marketing department's job for them earlier this week because of this phrase). Things pissing me off today: doing other departments jobs for them. No, sorry, I don't get paid enough to go through all of our photos and decide which ones are good marketing material.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Guesticles posted:

Nooooooo! :qq:

Fun fact: when digging through my old harddrives, I found my circa 1999 program files. Orginal Napster! ICQ! And Winamp 1.4! I thought for hilarity's sake I'd see how ancient winamp would fail to run on my 64bit windows 7 computer.
Worked perfectly :monocle:

That's rather impressive. I still use v2.95 and haven't run in to any problems with it across a multitude of Windows versions and processor archetypes. RIP Winamp.

e: I'm dumb. 2.95 was after the AOL buyout.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 21, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

MF_James posted:

Close to the thing of nightmares... but not really. I deal with this on a daily basis at 2300 different sites that some wiring schmuck went out and labeled in some abstract way that made sense to him BUT NO OTHER loving PERSON ON EARTH.

God why can't people just label things 1, 2, 3 etc till infinity! Or at the very least, label the same at BOTH ENDS.

This is seriously what pisses me off daily and induces a mass amount of rage.

This. A thousand times, this. We have student workers who don't always follow directions or have their own weird interpretation of what they were told but gently caress me, nothing is consistently labeled here. Nothing on the patch panels or wall jacks are labeled and all the computers are some horrible mix of Lab1, Lab01, Lab01-Swap, Lab001-New-Replacement, etc, etc. It drives me up the wall.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Simpleboo posted:

It makes me cry when suddenly IT rooms and whatnot become storage for the rest of the company

The athletic department uses one of the rooms we have a rack in as storage. It's great because there's several 650lb+ canvas mats in front of the rack door (despite a sign saying not to put anything in front of it) so we can't get inside.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

What does your company use for antivirus? We're currently using Sophos but I'm pulling my hair out because it thinks that everything is some sort of trojan bent on taking over your computer. It's blocking WSUS and pushing packages over SCOM/Systems Manager from working. It's even been blocking Windows 7 SP1 and any updates to the Sophos program itself, constantly claiming everything's a trojan. I can't believe we pay a subscription fee to keep this thing around. :psyduck:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

hihifellow posted:

We have Sophos and it isn't nearly as bad as this. You have a subscription, did you contact their tech support? It sounds like your behavior monitoring is set to block anything suspicious and got tuned extremely tightly.

I haven't called them but we're all so incredibly sick of how janky it is and want to move to something else. Preferrably something that doesn't think its own self-updater is a trojan. The other thing is that it was originally setup by someone forever ago who didn't document anything that they were doing so no one knows anything about it. I've logged in to the management console a couple times and it looks like everything is set to defaults but it constantly says that none of the clients are syncing policies correctly and I just don't have the patience to sit down and figure it out. I'd rather just wipe everything and start from scratch but, again, no one knows where the install files, lisencing keys, or anything for Sophos are located which is why I'm looking for anything else.

A lot of the clients haven't been updated in a couple years because of the whole "hey, my update package is definitely a trojan" thing and I don't have the time to check every computer across multiple school campuses to see if they're all running the latest version of Sophos.

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you on System Center 2012? If so you've already got Microsoft Endpoint, just use that.

Yes, we have a volume lisencing subscription and I just noticed that Endpoint's on there as well. This is probably the most practical thing to switch to; thanks.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

underlig posted:

Having to clean up after adults.

If someone's had a meeting in the conference room they never push the chairs back in, remove the powerstrip they've used and most of the time they won't even remove coffee cups etc.

We've got a rotating kitchen schedule, whenever it's not someone's week they just put their poo poo on the bench and walk away. A loving teenager can be trained to put their poo poo in the dishwasher, why can't you?

I work for a school and I constantly see kids have more of a sense of responsibility than most adults. We also have a rotating kitchen schedule but it doesn't cover any of the other commonly used rooms. The conference rooms still tend to be a disaster area of scratch/doodle paper, half-drunken coffee cups, and chairs skewed all about.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

stevewm posted:

Finally! Now if only Mozilla would do the same with Firefox...

Google finally did it with Chrome for Business and they released ADM/ADMX files to manipulate it through GPO. You can also push out extensions via GPO. I've been moving everyone over to Chrome simply because they beat Mozilla to the punch.

Edit: Frontmotion compiles a version of Firefox with GPO support and distributes it as a msi. But you're relying on Frontmotion to not tamper too much with the code and you'll be up the creek if Frontmotion ever goes away.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 18, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Maybe I should stop working for a non-profit. We get a pat on the back and a "See you next year!".

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Fixed that for you.

Oh, thanks. I should find a screwdriver and carve how many years I've been here in to the dry wall next to my desk. Actually, now that I look over at it, there's a bunch of scratches already. Maybe someone else had the same idea.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Things annoying me today: Our aging Netapp not supporting DFS replication.

We have an older Netapp (FAS3020c) that we're going to be taking down and replacing with a couple shiny new Poweredge R720xd. We were hoping to plug in a R720dx, set up DFS replication for everything currently hosted on the Netapp, wait for it to sync, then take the Netapp down but we just found out that it doesn't support DFS replication. We can't copy everything by hand because the data we're trying to copy are all of our user profiles (roaming) and they are used every day. Is there a way/utility to do this while maintaining Windows permissions? We tried a couple of free utilities but none of them have bothered to keep our permissions intact.

It's all a giant mess, I know. That's why we're moving to the R720s.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Agrikk posted:

To me, everything is a robocopy-shaped nail.

I'm all aboard the robocopy train but I'm not sure it can run as a daemon and do a real-time replication can it? Unfortunately, since they're user profiles, there isn't currently a redundant system in place, and we need to make this as seamless as possible, we need something that'll keep everything updated in real-time.

Caged posted:

Don't you lose the dual-controller nature of a NetApp by going 'back' to a file server or am I way behind the times?

Yes, but we're using multiple servers of the same build and using DFS replication between them and then all user-facing stuff just points to DFS shares. One server could keel over and our end-users would never know. :yaycloud: As far as throughput goes, our biggest internal pipe is only 1gbps fiber. We just rolled out some 1gbps to some classrooms but a lot are still 10/100 and we're going to give Server 2012's NIC teaming a whirl. :toot:

We're mostly doing this because we got our Netapp second-hand and no one really knows how old it is (lots of references to Windows 2000 in the UI), the one person who knew how to do anything in the CLI with it left, we don't know when any of the drives are going to die/replacement costs, there's no redundancy, and we're starting to outgrow its capacity.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Well, this finally happened. We were all waiting for it to happen since it's been in service for almost six years straight without any failures yet and we got it second hand. The best part is we don't have any spare drives (170gb fiber channel :psyduck: ) sitting around for it. We really couldn't have received those R720s at a better time.

Fake edit: Yes, that's a little plastic army man hanging out on top of one of the servers in the rack.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 2, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Ehh, just run it degraded for another six years. What could possibly go wrong? :haw:

If our director had anything to say about it he'd have us spend a fortune on ebay replacement drives for it because it's "cheaper in the short run" than buying a replacement. Remember, spending a little bit of money of the course of years buying replacements for failed hardware is better than spending a lot for a nice replacement up front.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sylink posted:

Putting URGENT or EMERGENCY in your ticket subject makes me ignore it 5x longer than if you had remained calm.

We let users set their own priority level for tickets (:byodood:). I don't think I've ever seen a ticket not set to Urgent or Emergency. URGENT!!!! FIX IMMEDIATELY! The printer in my room is out of ink and even though I have 5 more I can print to, this is hindering my ability to work.

Thing pissing me off this week: A whole bunch of desktops have decided to stop talking to KMS and now think they're all running pirated versions of Windows. I've tried everything I can think of to get them to talk to KMS again but they refuse and claim that all of our MAK keys are invalid. Unless anyone here has seen something similar and might know of something that I haven't tried yet, I'm admitting defeat after trying to fix it for a week.

Thing not pissing me off this week: Tomorrow we finally get to put our old NetApp out to pasture. There shall be much rejoicing.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Agrikk posted:

But then we get to move to CRISIS MODE and it's all hands on deck and assholes and elbows and nose to the grindstone until the project gets completed on time at the expense of employee burnout and all the PMs get attaboys from management...

My favoriteworst gig was at a company that prided itself on producing great work in a crisis. It therefore managed to contrive crises all the time so that employees could "shine".

gently caress that noise.

My last project at the last company I worked for thought something like this would be a good idea. 11 hour days all week set in such a way that we didn't get a third break in the day (or, we did but they merged it in with our half hour lunch or something). I still don't know how I put up with a year of that but I remember it being absolutely horrendous for my health and being extremely taxing mentally.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

"It's running slow and won't let me on the internet"

gently caress our "Bring in your personal machines and our IT department will fix them (for free)!" policy.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 7, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

What? Did someone stop for half a second to work out the consequences of that one - or does people being happy trump all else, such as costs?
It's more of the latter one. We're "support staff" and someone complained to the right person so now we fix anyone's personal machine including a full wipe and throwing Windows + Office on it. But no, in talking with other people, time consumption and cost were not factors in the decision.

HalloKitty posted:

The "AVG Secure Search" in the actual search bar is the icing.

Seriously though, I never knew Firefox had that many toolbars available for it. Some serious effort was put into loving that up.

vv I guess I was going more for the fact that this system supposedly has anti-virus, AVG has a Firefox aware plugin, yet obviously it was completely useless against the onslaught of the hopeless user
Chrome had more but would eat up all available resources and crash before I could get a screenshot that really showed it off. I won't even mention how many IE had. Personally, I've found that new versions of AVG like to bring along a whole bunch of self-branded shovelware. I will give it credit and was unable to find a detectable virus on the machine using several scanners. It just had no idea what to do with any of the mal/spy/shovel/etc-ware.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'd honestly probably put up ads on Craigslist offering to "fix any problem with your laptop for $50!" and just pawn it off on my workplace's IT department as a supplementary source of income.

Our department head already kind of does this but for his own personal business that he does on the side. Well, he'll use us to fix and stage almost everything that his business will use except for his servers.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

And the people higher up than him are OK with this?

He doesn't report to anyone so, yes.

Things pissing me off today: It looks like a bunch of our students have found the Twitter-like Newsfeed, blogging tools, etc that Sharepoint offers as part of our Office 365 license and have been running full-hog with it. I don't even want to think about legal complications if any of it somehow was seen outside of our organization (why in the world is it all set to public by default anyway?). So, now I get to figure out how to shut all that off. I was just going to revoke the SharePoint license for any non-faculty/staff but O365 won't let me, saying it's required by vital processes. I found all the bits to make everything private so I've covered our bases there but now I need to remove any and all content that the students have made and prevent them from being able to basically use anything regarding SharePoint again.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Things pissing me off today: 1) People using system restore and rolling all of our laptops back before they were joined to our domain. It's more of an inconvenience than anything but it's still annoying. 2) Our entire Mitel 5000 database became corrupt somehow and our phones are all messed up! It's going to be one hell of an afternoon.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sirotan posted:

:ssh: http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/poweredge-r610.html

I do agree that their driver downloads page is pretty poo poo though. Especially since they also seem to change the layout and process for searching/downloading the drivers once a month.

I think it was earlier in this thread, someone had mentioned that Dell doesn't update any of the drivers on their FTP site anymore or something like that. I still use it because it's still heaps better than trying to use Dell's support site when I need a driver to inject in some WDS images.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Things pissing me off today: Barracuda web filters! Two of them, to be exact. Unit A has decided to stop doing any kind of filtering, stop responding to pings, and whatever web server they run is refusing to start up. I hooked up a monitor and keyboard to it and it thinks that everything is peachy. What do you mean something's wrong? Surely you must be mistaken. It's going straight in the river.

Unit B thinks that it's working but it's not doing any kind of filtering what so ever and, as far as I can tell, doesn't think there's any traffic going through it. None of the logs show anything working or not working, the cache isn't being hit at all, and I can get to websites that I've specifically blacklisted for both authenticated and unauthenticated users. It will catch a random request here and there but that seems to happen within the first five minutes of turning it on and then it stops and acts like a passthrough. It also keeps incorrectly categorizing what it does catch. For example, it thinks that outlook.office365.com is a Shopping website. Since I work for a school, we need to be CIPA compliant and our web filter allowing everything isn't good.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Pissing me off: the network guy (higher-up but not my boss, not at the same site as me, organizationally unrelated to me) is forwarding me his voicemails asking me to call someone back for him. The original calls were about a printer/copier that he ordered... which I'm not involved with in any way. It is entirely unclear why he wants me to be the one in contact with them.

Make your own drat phone calls. :argh:

I'm pretty sure this is just a thing that people do now. My boss makes me do every phone call for him because he doesn't like talking to people on it. Also, our department head will make my boss do most of his phone calls which gets trickled down on to me. In fact, when I came in this morning, there's an email waiting for me to call a company on my boss' behalf about a problem I didn't know we had with a piece of software I didn't know we supported.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I keep running in to people who apparently have no idea what company they work for. In the past 24 hours I've gotten no less than five emails marked with high priority of people complaining that such-and-such's account isn't set up correctly and that I need to drop whatever I'm doing and do the needful. Looking at the errors, it's all super basic stuff like mispelling the person's name (we use first initial last name which is terrible) or they're manually typing in the email address instead of just using the address book and they're getting our company name wrong. How do you work somewhere for 10 years and not have any idea how to spell its name?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I have a machine running RackMonkey to keep track of our racks (because no one was doing it before I was hired) but it's pretty basic when compared to WireCAD. The guy also has a history of randomly abandoning any project he's working on and it hasn't been updated since 2009 but it works alright.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

We just bought a bunch of Core2Duo systems... in 2014... and are expecting them to last at least another four years to replace some dying Core2Quad systems. :psyduck:
The best part is that they arrived in a bunch of old sun bleached cash register boxes, improperly packed, and are covered in dirt and mud.

I finally got around to making some answer files for our WDS server and it's been fantastic. Getting the windows system image manager to work properly in windows 8.1 has been a headache. The tool itself is not very intuitive and I get the feeling it was designed for something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

I can't think of a single reason why that would be the case. Anyone got an idea?

The connectivity can kind of make sense to me if they're trying to resolve internal machine names. But no, DHCP not working because the DNS servers are set to something other than the DC is absolutely insane. I thought that was one of the whole points of DHCP is that you can specify whatever crazy DNS servers you want and still be able to pull an IP from DHCP.