Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Fool posted:

You've been through so much, anytime you say anything negative it triggers half the thread.

More like "any time you say something negative, we assume it has to be even worse than the earlier stories if you're complaining about it now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Crowley posted:

Thing that's pissing me off: Due to a headache I'm not very productive today, and I can't even hop on IRC for some idle goony banter since I powered down my VMware server at home to swap out a graphics card, and then I went to bed without swapping the card and powering the server on again, my "random poo poo"-server I run the IRC from is offline and can't be switched on until I get home.

I'm just about ready to give up and go home, but I've got a sort-of important meeting at 13:00. :sigh:

I’d vote for linode, but regardless, it’s all about the cloud. Maintaining a home server for remote access is for suckers, even before you factor in the electricity costs and how unreliable residential ISPs are about downtime and static IPs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Honestly if you're thinking about actually leaving because of this, there's no reason to give a gently caress. Stir up a stink, get her boss involved, leak the email to Techcrunch...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

psydude posted:

Idgi. It's a folding bike, so I assume you're storing it under your desk or in the corner next to your trash can. So why does space come into the equation.

Some people will take any power afforded them and attempt to use it for no reason, just to prove to themselves that they can.

This is the basis for like 90% of office politics and the reason I avoid that poo poo as much as possible.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

NeuralSpark posted:

110 responses and counting, with reply speed increasing. I'm going to graph it when it's done.

EDIT: Aww, they deleted the list

The intelligent way of handling it. I guess count your blessings that whoever's in charge has a brain?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Not pissing me off: After finding out you can downgrade from 10 to 7 for a month, I said gently caress it and upgraded. Needing to set the privacy options is a little irritating, but I'm honestly stunned that Windows managed to upgrade without loving up the GRUB boot record. Last time I dealt with Windows installation media, just booting from the CD overwrote the MBR.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Apparently, it is A Thing at my company to create a severity 1 ticket on one's last day saying, "Today is my last day!"

A Sev1 ticket pages pretty much the whole company including the CEO.

Those wacky software engineers.

My last two companies have both had part-of-the-culture @all emails for both incoming and outgoing employees, the latter of which are inevitably "Friday is my last day, now you have an excuse to bail at 4:30 to get drunk at the bar up the road".
(Not that some people don't bail at 4:30 to get drunk at that bar every Friday anways)

At my previous job, one of the QA guys left a Sev 1 ticket for a dev that was "QA Guy not in seat. Repro: Go to QA pit, stare forlornly at seat QA Guy used to sit in". The dev filed a fix the next week by giving the replacement QA person a "QA Guy" nametag, closed it out as "Resolved- Can't Reproduce", and the QA Ticket number ended up accidentally immortalized in our internal changeset documentation for that game.

So the idea of having a full-company email for someone's last day doesn't seem that wacky to me.

e:

Any time I hear about unrestricted email distribution lists used for internal discussion, all I can picture is a infomercial-esque skit of some poor exchange admin buried in a pile of mail. "There's got to be a better way!"

I'm still a little sad that Google Wave never really took off.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2015

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

nielsm posted:

Or the idea that changes seen are straight up irreversible.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t. My own “enough knowledge to be dangerous” comes from the time I found “create shortcut” in the context menu in Windows 95. Holy poo poo, these files shrunk so much! I can fit so much more on my floppy now! Now to delete the originals and... wait what

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Ok thanks? Why do people feel the need to white knight their OS of choice?

Post-purchase rationalization, I assume. I get it, but goddamn if it's not irritating. I love my mac but I'd be the first person to sign the involuntary commitment papers if someone on my ops team tried to move our stack to it.

I feel compelled to plug an iphone into that just to see what happens. :unsmigghh:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Not that I disagree with you, and I don't-I think this is way crazy, but the explanation is actually somewhat reasonable:

https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/well-im-at-it-again-this-time-with-macbook-pros/

Not going to lie, both the reasoning and the amount of actual work that went into that is pretty impressive, down to the temperature sensors set up per-laptop. And automated testing is just about the only reason I could possibly think of to do something like that, soooo...:golfclap:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It turns out my new manager actually does think everyone should be local admins.

Please tell me I'm not just being crazy when I say that people who would rather be using a paper ledger and cash register than a computer shouldn't be local administrators.

90% of the time, "I need local admin" is a complaint in the same vein as "The internet is down" or "My computer won't turn on"-- technically accurate, but the root cause is usually something completely different. If this is something people are requesting, as opposed to just his brainchild "I want to make my mark on the company", the best bet would be to figure out why and solve that problem.

The other 10% of the time, give people local admin, make sure the network shares are backed up, and institute a blanket "If you gently caress it up, we're reimaging it, the end" policy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Pissing me off: Comcast, again. I don't know what the gently caress they're doing, but the internet has been spotty all weekend. Not bad enough to be really terrible, but just enough random-latency issues to prevent me from playing any online games or getting any real work done. Nothing like randomly getting 3-10 seconds of delay when you're trying to type something into an SSH console, every 10 characters or so.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Now Comcast's trying to tell me that packets dropped 6 hops in at one of their ibone servers is the fault of my modem. :wtc:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Baxta posted:

Nice looking website? For some reason I just can't do it. I've tried a million times. Everything is functional but it looks like poo poo. I just don't have the apititude.

Honestly, you don't need any sort of design aptitude to make a minimally decent site. There are design patterns just like there are coding patterns; it's just a question of learning a couple of them and slapping them together in a fairly sane way. The trick is not confusing "graphics design" with "user experience"-- you don't have to throw in partially-transparent cut-out pngs with backscrolling jquery gradients, or eschew static table tags in favor of dynamic pop-out fade-in elements, but you better not be making those inactive radio buttons look identical to the active ones, or only allowing the submission button to be active when your last form element loses focus.

I've always been of the opinion that form should follow function, but having a client application that looks like someone installed 30 spyware toolbars into a web browser is not what I'd consider "functional". So yeah, knowing some minimal amount of UX is pretty important for just about every coder, especially since some aspects of it apply to literally anything that has a consumer, even if it's via CLI or API.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MJP posted:

Thanks for telling me what you wanted demo'd so I could test it before telling you it was ready!

Just makes me wonder how many months/years he's going to blame you after you leave for things not working properly. "Yeah, I know the phones don't work, MJP was working on them but he hosed something up with them before he left."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

Unnecessary use of cat is the spergiest award in a :spergin: community

:agreed:

Of all of the things to get up in arms over, this ranks up there as "even less useful an argument to have than vim vs emacs" which is pretty drat impressive. I can see it as an argument if you're talking about "I'm writing a shell script on an embedded system and EVERY CPU CYCLE COUNTS" but if you're talking about throwing together a pipe on the command line to grep some logs, then it's a drat silly hill to die on.

edit: This is reminding me of a friend that was swearing up and down that "find . -type f -exec grep -Hni $term {} \;" was faster than "grep -RnIi $term .", despite time saying otherwise.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 31, 2015

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Agrikk posted:

I once Snapped at an intern so hard he left my office in tears. I felt bad for doing it afterwards, but man I tore his head off while working on some TSQL- I was sitting in my office with the door closed, hoodie up and headphones on. I'd been sitting so still that the motion sensors turned off the light and I hadn't noticed.

He came in to ask me a question or something and the door opened and the lights turned on and startled me out of my Zone and I let him have it.

This warms the cockles of my dark heart. I've been having a rough time with an interrupting QA person recently, exacerbated by the fact that half the time it's a rubber-duck where they interrupt me, get halfway into a question, and realize the answer while explaining it.

The other half of the time the questions are of the "well, you're still breathing, so apparently you at least have a brain stem" variety.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Back to Firefox it is.

While chrome is doing that, firefox isn’t allowing you to install addons that aren’t specifically signed. Likewise, no way to disable it.

At this rate I’m going to end up using lynx. loving browsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

LETS TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE MICROSOFT ACCESS

nielsm posted:

A few months ago I made a database in Access 2013 to replace an Excel project that was running out of control and impossible to do any sort of reporting on. Access is poo poo, but it's still better than Excel at being a database.

Pretty much this. Access and/or Filemaker is the half-step between an Excel spreadsheet and an actual application, and for all Access' flaws, I'd still rather deal with it than the 3G Excel file.

Don't talk to me about Filemaker apps written in 8-year-old pirated versions of the program that some dude scrapped up 3 secretaries ago.