Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
One network engineer, two network technicians, and my boss have now resigned over the past month and a half or so. Three of us left...

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Malkar posted:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6321960&srkey=a225-5203

My coworker went to buy that at the store. It was listed at the same price. Called their tech support line, they also confirmed that that is the correct and accurate price.

Seems reasonable.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Sickening posted:

Welp, almost a year to the day my new place of employment is being sold. Same thing happened to my previous place.

I am like a bad luck charm. At least everyone but the owners.

Well, at least you've been through this song and dance before. Time to break out the resume!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So my job has gone the metric route, and now is going the 'new process to follow every week' route. It seems like every new process I learn, I forget another one, or my work gets that much slower. I am not sure if this is because I am slowing down as I get into my 40's, or I've lost my passion, or burnout or whatever, but work is not fun.

For those of you who are older and in IT, is there a point where you hit a wall? It seems like I am fixing the same things over and over, and nothing is new, and I feel like a grumpy old man.

I really felt this way at my last gig. The cure was to get up and out of there. Find a new job. There are a lot of the same problems and a whole batch of new ones (DoD contracting, red tape...) at my new job but the change of scenery is refreshing. Sometimes you just need to shake up your reality a little bit. IT is not my passion, it never will be, but it's the only thing I know and the only skill I have that can pay me the way that it does.

I guess what I'm saying is, buckle down, focus and get out. Maybe that means getting out of IT entirely? It could just mean getting into another gig/new-ish environment. It depends on your situation. For me, leaving IT wasn't an option even though if I won the lottery tomorrow I would never touch another computer again. My wife and I had our first child this year and it shook up my priorities quite a bit.

36 here...

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 25, 2014

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Keep looking for a new job. That place is a poo poo hole even if they did give you a little more money. Many IT skills are in demand. If you are even remotely social and have a cert or two you're going to have recruiters knocking down the door.

EDIT: For poo poo that is NOT pissing me off... I signed on with the primary DoD IT contractor at my site this week. Previously I was with a sub-contractor for 6 months. 15% raise on an already above market salary, for the same work. I'll take it!

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 14, 2014

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

You need a new job.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Time for the :itisacar: analogy.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I've never worked in an environment where storage was blamed first. Network Eng here.

It's always "the network".

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I would love to take USB Device Training. Does it come on an interactive DVD with a test, and printable certificate at the end?

No DVD but, yes, you'll have a test and a certificate at the end. Congrats!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

You'd have to pay me double my rate to work for an attorney. Even then, I might not do it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Ye Olde Technologie Journeymenne

:yotj:

Love it!!

Edit: Why isn't there an IT union? We're a trade just like anything else. I think the unfortunate answer is that a lot of these neckbeards are Libertarian fantasy-landers.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I have one signature for everything. Honestly, if anybody ever complained about me sending an email with the same signature I'd wonder if they needed more work to do.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm so lucky that I work on a non-classified network where everything is covered by the standard FOUO (For Official Use Only) disclaimer, and have a separate machine and account for the classified network (where everything is either Secret or Unclassified). The only pain in the rear end part about it is that no piece of equipment from the classified network can come within 24 inches of any piece of equipment from the non-classified network, and every couple weeks the IA folks come around with a ruler to make sure that classified keyboard (duly noted with a red Secret tag) is not within 24 inches of my non-classified monitor (duly noted with a green Unclassified sticker). It gets really tricky if you have a someone on the other side of your cube and have to figure out a location for everything. Fortunately I don't have anyone on one side of me, and my classified computer sits on that side of the cubicle.

At least it won't be a problem in a few weeks, since that's when they'll be taking all my toys away and showing me the door as part of the transition. It's a pity that as a contractor when you do your job well you work yourself out of said job and have to start all over.

Huh, we have a NIPR machine residing in our SIPR vault that is absolutely within 24" of a SIPR machine. Nobody seems to give a poo poo, including IA.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

They'll back off until the guy who is replacing you is up to speed. Also, politically, you're dead at this organization now if you already weren't. I tried that route in my younger days.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

The only security folks at the DoD contractor I work for are the "pres butan git report" types. None of them are technical in the least. Supposedly our government wants to hire 6000 IT security people over the next couple of years but has no idea where they're going to come from or how they're going to be trained.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Could be worse. I got a pile of Nagios alerts about an hour before I was supposed to leave to, uh, get married. I got it before the people who were working that day, who apparently got blindsided by one of our network engineers breaking a whole rack group worth of switches, triggering isolation response, and killing most of the VMs on our network. Got it back up before someone called me with "you're gonna kill me, but," so I was able to shout "IT'S FIXED ALREADY" and hang up the phone.

Fuckin' IT people on Fridays, man, I don't know what it is.

Congrats on getting married!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

meanieface posted:

Pissing me off: boss showing up at my desk and being super-weird about how I needed to log out RIGHT NOW so she could walk me out the door.

Not pissing me off: :yotj:

Story time!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I work for a DoD contractor. The Network Enterprise Center at my facility requests project work from the network group that I work for, and we do it. Design work and new turn-ups have been slow lately so the rinky dink projects are starting to come out in droves.

Last week, I was asked to dispatch out and retrieve a Cisco 3560G and an APC battery backup unit from a building that was no longer being used by the client. I dispatched out and decommissioned the switch and put the APC back into inventory. This kind of work is quite a bit below my pay grade, to be honest, but I did it.

Yesterday, someone from the base facilities security office noticed one-and-a-half weeks later that they could not reach the buildings on-site controller for the badge reader to get into the door(s) of this building. I told the gentleman that per my bosses, bosses, boss :o: - we had been instructed to terminate network connectivity to the building since no one was going to be using this (small) building any longer.

Long story short - we had to install media converters at both ends and ultimately had to install a gigabit ethernet module into a Cisco 6500 because it didn't have any copper ports available.

:rant: "We don't want to install a switch back out there!"

Ultimately, we had to install a "switch" on the other end to make it work. For one copper ethernet port. There will never be any other copper ethernet termination in this closet. There was no other expeditious way to make it happen any other way ($$$). gently caress me.

<3 u govt

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 14, 2014

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Huh, I work with Cisco TAC to replace defective PSUs for Cisco 6500s and 4500s all the time. They're nothing but helpful. Matter of fact, just yesterday I had one on my desk less than 24 hours after I opened my ticket requesting a new one. I've had this experience with replacing defective SUPs too.

Hopefully I won't run into that kind of push back in the future.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

They're just going to read that survey and take it as, "Our service wasn't that bad this guy is just insufferable." Sorry, that's just how I'd take a survey that was filled out like that.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

We all know people like that. I made every effort to help a guy out of a bad situation a few months back. I told him to get his Sec+, at minimum, lined up. As we all know it takes even a neophyte three weeks to study for that cert and pass it. I'm still waiting six months later. He apparently doesn't think his situation is that bad.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I take all my vacation every year. It's there for a reason. Also, I've always had bosses who would essentially get angry if you didn't schedule yourself to be away from work at some point. Even if you were just taking the vacation to sit at home and play XBOX you should do it. My coworker is taking this week off to kayak fish and golf all week. Not going anywhere special, just hanging out.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

The manager does have a point. When I was in the MSP game we had literally one person show the aptitude to come out of 3rd shift support and join the engineering team. The rest would surf the internet all night, come in half stoned/drunk, late all the time, etc.

This guy showed drive and a willingness to learn. He picked up after hours maintenance projects frequently. He was one out of ten employees of that shift? Fifteen? That was over a multi-year period of time. I can't blame it on the people 100%, though. That company's internal training and metric tracking was horrendous.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Stealthgerbil posted:

People who don't listen are the worst. We told a client to get a static IP at their house to set up a VPN so she can RDP into her computer at work. My boss told the person, I told the person, but no static IP when I stopped by today :(

Many carriers don't even offer static public hosts for residential class service.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The filling of datastores causes massive problems. 16GB of memory allocated to a server which will never use more than 2GB just makes me think you're stupid.

I'm going to go shopping with my wife now, so that I can stress about price tags rather than work.

You need a new gig, duder. Your posts have been getting more and more stressed out lately.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

The piss particles will reach Mars sometime next July. Nobody's going to want to touch that rover.

You are breathing someones piss particles right now. We all are.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Let's go further. The moment you pee? That's right; dicks touching dicks.

:aaaaa:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Next time I see the HR gal drinking coffee... Nnnnggggg.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Silly goonz posting on a comedy web forum something awful dot com llc.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

poo poo pissing me off? My boss that thinks he can spout his racist opinions about the "thugs" in Ferguson all day long.

He's been out of the Marines for a little over six months and is under the impression that our office supports the same hoo-rah, macho bullshit that they do.

Protip: We don't.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I just vent here. I have a wife and a young child to take care of so I can't risk anything. Just grin and bear it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I quit. Not a good day.

Gotta hear the story behind this one.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I've been at that stress level before and it's not fun. Hopefully you can land on your feet and have some interviews after the holiday season. This is a tough stretch for hiring. A lot of companies shut it down for the next couple of months unless it's an absolute emergency that they hire some IT savant for something.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Collecting action figures from his desk was a nice touch of flair. I like it.

Nobody is taking me seriously.

*grabs Spawn action figures and storms out *

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Someone doesn't know how DHCP works and I'm not entirely sure it's just the "network engineer".

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I should check my own clearance status. I've been waiting on word regarding my TS for about six months. Will the JPAS site tell me one way or the other?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

My bosses method of troubleshooting - swing the hammer, if the hammer doesn't fix it, swing it faster and harder and that will eventually fix the problem.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Take the new job. Do not stay for a merger unless you really like pain.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

There are too many Libertarian neckbeards in IT for a union to really take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Anybody have a boss or co-workers who talk *at* you, not to you?

I won the sweepstakes. Two out of three of my co-workers are so incredibly narcissistic that they will come over to my cube to just talk about whatever it is they are doing lately, nonstop. There's very little input from me in these "conversations" because even when I do provide my end both of these guys will just continue to talk as if nothing was said by anyone else. No pause, no flinch, no head nod - just continuing to talk. You know how a normal conversation has a pause for a give and take? That doesn't exist here. What's the point?

I have been walking this Earth for almost 38 years at this point and have never seen anything like it. Not this bad, anyway.