Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, many times per week I get calls where users say, "hey, I just got X software, can you show me how to do X task?"

It's annoying.

Tell them they need to call the training department and give them the number to the local community college.

E: ^ I guess that wouldn't work in your case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

wintermuteCF posted:

My former job didn't have anything as stupendously old as a P3-450 box (although they DID have a typewriter!), but what they lacked in age they certainly made up for in messiness!

If you guys can con Drighton into posting pictures of it, you'll get a laugh.

Alas most of it has been cleaned up and I never took any pictures. Even if I did, this is a very paranoid and litigious company, so I'm extra careful about what I post.

The Toshibas, Inspirons, and Vostros are gone, the cabinet drawers were cleaned out, the old yellow NAS boxes were recycled and anything that was kept was organized somewhat neatly. Although I did start a minor war trying to clean out the server room, since the boss had to get involved to say what had to be kept. But I challenged every decision like it was a Hoarders episode. Anything I felt was unnecessary that he wouldn't let go ended up in his office (including the Typewriter).

Drighton fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 10, 2013

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

wintermuteCF posted:

No way! Did He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named finally get yelled at about the condition of your storage? Did that giant cabinet filled with 710m's finally get nuked? And he kept the typewriter? Oh man, I'm dying of laughter here :D

Nah, we were forced to clean things up when the department was relocated. Yeah those 710's are gone too.

I get that he's been around a while and might be attached to something 'historical' or whatever. But I would expect an IT guy to be emotionally attached to the company's first server or something of that vein, not a loving typewriter.

After cleaning out one of the IDF's which had boxes of tangled cables and devices that haven't been used in years, I caught him digging through the trash bin as I left that day.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

dorkanoid posted:

Cryptolocker scares me. I know we have backups of everything + shadow copies enabled, but the cleanup would still be horrible.

99% of our data is in Excel files on a server - is there any way at all to protect them?

...or a way to notice that cryptolocker has started encrypting? Like placing a file in a catalog as a "canary" and have some service monitor it for modification or something?

We've been hit by it twice so far because our users are unjunking the emails and then opening the attachment. We've eliminated individual access on a large percentage of our files and use AD groups to control as much as we can, so our detection method has been: 1) user notifies us that a file can't be opened, 2) we check the file permissions to see who has Full Control granted to their account (the only individual in the ACL) and then rip their computer off the network.

Since I'm sure we'll end up getting it again, I'll try the group policy fix.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Currently in a meeting with the boss to help him do his job. He was given some proposals to review (literally just compare them to what we requested) and he didn't do it. Now it's urgent that it get done today so he schedules a meeting with the proposals attached and says 'make sure you read them'. He clearly has not read them, and is now using five people to go down the lists one by one to compare everything.

There is no way this requires five people, nor any of our technical knowledge, to accomplish.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Let me tell you about my 16 core processor :getin:

Though most software vendors have caught on to this now.

Yeah, I want to say Ms SQL licenses per core now?

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

I've seen a book mentioned a few times in these threads for IT management. Anyone remember what it is? Or maybe have one they recommend?

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Someone's mad at me because I can't urgently get something off a 8" floppy for them.

We had something similar happen. Luckily I found a place in Houston that would extract the data for us, cost something like $25 per disk.

I never occurred to me that there would only be a few KB of data on it, or that it would be in text format. Actually, I was thinking the company's IT department was tasked with sending us this data and decided to play a prank. But, no, they just sent us original copies of some payroll records from the 80s. I wonder if that project manager actually found use for that data.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Not pissing me off today: discovered that Unitrends Enterprise Backup offers a Not-For-Resale license if you're Microsoft or VMware certified. It's a nice alternative since Veeam Free doesn't do incremental backups. Passed the VCP5-DCV a while ago and finally put the copy of Workstation 10 to use today playing around with Ubuntu Server and UEB.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

When things are flying across my screen uncontrollably and you catch a glimpse of an error or warning that immediately disappears. The text color or icon says "you should probably take notice of this" but the software seems to think "you can ignore this."

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I had one just last night where it would pop up a cmd.exe window with the error and immediately disappear. Even running the program from its own cmd.exe was no good, because it would always create the new window. No idea why this is a thing that developers let happen.

You know, that's really just irritating. What's really pissing me off is the boss's inability to properly manage time. This weekend was the third time we've had 5 people tasked to do a job that only needs 2. Not that more hands will help, we actually have 3 people standing around because there is nothing for them to do. Luckily I was able to do some other work for 5 hours rather than stand around but none of it actually required me to be there on a Saturday.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

We have a CIO and an IT Director who can't agree on anything and are basically having this power struggle and are trying to get the other fired.

Meanwhile we can't get decisions made and are falling behind on our goals. One of the Director's projects I've been working on has been stalled for months by the CIO, one reason after another, and action on anything takes days and constant follow ups.

I'm torn between "sit back, do nothing, get paid" and "actually accomplish something".

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Nah I wouldn't :yotj: unless there wasn't any light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't been in these threads for a long while because there is very little to complain about these days.

Out progress is stop and go, so tough to sell a class or whatever, but I suppose I could grab a book. Would be perfect if there was some VCP6 material available.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

"We need a list of our support, maintenance, and subscription contract expirations so we can better plan renewals."
"Here is a list in a shared Excel workbook I've been maintaining that has everything you want."

*months later*

"Oh poo poo this critical license expired, renew it quick! How did this happen? We need a way to track renewals!"
"Here is the Excel workbook I've been maintaining."

*months more*

"Guys I've been warning you about this soon to expire license for weeks, are we going to renew this!?"
"We need a better way to track renewals, let's custom build a monster app that does a million other things too."

:bang: I cannot get it through they're heads. Buying or building some crazy solution is not going to suddenly fix your problem if you're the problem.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Moey posted:

I am debating on getting one of these to make coffee for myself in the afternoon. Seems wasteful firing off a full pot.

I tried it once. I could never get the timing or ratio down. Somehow I'd end up with very weak, watery coffee and other times it'd be extremely bitter and I'd be jittery all morning.

The coffee was so bad here I just switched to tea. Now I rarely drink either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

icehewk posted:

We’re hoping to get 100% participation on this, so please take this very short (only 8 questions!) quiz and then send me your resulting “Personality”. We are going to compile into an aggregate for the CTS team to see what we look like in terms of personalities. Easy!

We just did this last week with a different site. So did every HR exec recently go to some seminar where this was hailed as the best thing ever?