Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemost posted:

Kicked in :10bux:
The world needs more greasy spoons.

Looks like he will be selling Italian Beef sandwiches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ralp posted:

This is the gayest poo poo I have ever seen and anyone who gave any money to this is a complete loving retard. What a pathetic goon bandwagon.

We just want to see Gordon Ramsay rescue a hot dog stand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemost posted:

Can anyone with restaurant experience speak to his funding goals?
$6000.00 seemed extremely ultra modest even for his stated objectives -- but maybe things really are that cheap in Alabama?
I know here in Toronto, the bureaucratic red tape alone would probably cost $10,000+.

The American South is basically a domestic offshore for the US due to lower taxes and things such as labor costs are also much cheaper in the economically depressed rural areas.

For Reform it's pretty bleak with 30% of the population in poverty and a per capita income of $11000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform,_Alabama

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

It was mentioned earlier that Wayne's done a lot of prepwork already; the $6000 he wants is just there to cover the bare minimum he needed to succeed. Besides, it's not like he's doing business in upstate New York or anything; $6000 can go a long way in rural Alabama (is Reform a rural place?).

It's also not making a full-service restaurant with a pile of different menu items.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The italian beef sandwich on the other hand is distinctly American invention.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is my favorite hot dog success story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJNb6VInOA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noni posted:

Wait, "sous vide" is a cooking thing? I thought that was something you were supposed to yell right before you slap a pig.

Basically uses the concept of thermal equilibrium to cook food, so you cook food in special vacuum bags in a bath of water that's
carefully controlled by a special circuit.

It's pretty much known for different types of meat such as steak which temperature is required for rare or medium so
it takes all the guesswork out of cooking things such as meat.

Once the meat is cooked it just takes a few minutes of pan searing to add in the tasty layer of spices and herbs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Goons changing the world.

Well at least it didn't lead to someone's house getting burned down like in the cable theft revenge story.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Goons changing the world.

Well at least it didn't lead to someone's house getting burned down like in the cable theft revenge story.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpoopyMonkey posted:

^^ Also this

There's like $5k or something from some investment he's supposed to be getting in 3 or 4 weeks, so he's not completely in the poorhouse, but yeah it looks like dogman flew a bit too close to the burning Alabama sun.

So when does Kickstarters actually fork over the money for something like brick and mortar project?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Box of Trial posted:

Never open a restaurant.

Most new bars and restaurants end in failure.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noni posted:

Come to my website, hotdogprophets.com

I'm sort of thinking of a concept similar to the zero hedge concept?

A website for hot dog experts who don't want to be identified or have their credentials threatened.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ruddha posted:

Welcome to Hitler's poo poo Buffet.

The buffet would not work in the south since it would only have vegetarian food.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tophereth posted:

Well, this is an invaluable lesson to all of us.

The moral of the story is to invest in kickstarter anime tit projects instead?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skinny white boy posted:

Wow, this sucks.

I hope it leads to a bad Slate or Wired article on the downsides of crowdsourcing projects.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JDM3 posted:

I believe the word you are looking for is Kleagle. That's the guy that recruits members into the Klavern.

Other jobs available are:
  • Klaliff - vice president
  • Klokard - lecturer
  • Kludd - chaplain
  • Kligrapp - secretary
  • Klabee - treasurer
  • Kladd - "conductor", in charge of initiating new members
  • Klarogo - inner guard, sergeant-at-arms
  • Klexter - outer guard
  • Nighthawks - couriers (the only title that doesn't make you sound like a complete moron, other than your membership of course)

I don't know why, but this whole system gives me a juggalo vibe.

Which class is best for doing early raids and getting gold fast?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

I love it. The best thing.

It's not like the initial setup and business pitch would make a happy ending likely.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

argondamn posted:

That bank is the smartest thing involved in all of this.

The underwriting process worked?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

How gross do I have to make my hamburgers look to get you guys to donate money to me?

what sort of gross, like glutton gross?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

The raccoons are going hungry ever since I pushed the recycle box up against the garbage cans. :(

They always seem to find a way

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dobbie is going to get his hotdog shack up and running and then see it suspiciously burn down the next day with a giant insurance claim.

the money is in the vent hood.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Comment from Wayne's thread on hot dog profits dot com from before SA discovered him. He even responded to it, so it's not like nobody tried to warn him. Guess he knew better than to let someone throw filthy hot dog water on his dreams.

Also the cart system is a way to build name recognition, customer base and also test the whole market concept before moving on to the risker brick mortar phase.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Did you see any posts about people donating because they think they're economically revitalizing part of a small town, because I hear there are some pretty good posts about that but I'm not willing to try to search through 80 pages worth of posts to find them.

Sort of the hot dog version of when Congress gets a random rural district the pork barrel contract to build a military plane component?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nwin posted:

I figured it out. Sound monkey is Claude. Best scheme since Nigerian banking!

Your excellency I have treasure chest in bank with many valuable gems and a vent hood.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why couldn't he have stuck to a little shack with a cash register, a sink, a prep counter, and a grill out back? He got extra funding and seemingly went nuts.

Because it makes sense to start out with a simple low capital concept and then move on to something bigger if there's local demand.

The Doobie story is pretty much the classic example of making all the startup mistakes such as starting out high risk and high capital.

Biker Jim from Denver is a good example of how to do things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJNb6VInOA

Basically having the passion to try something new, making a interesting niche product and finally getting a financially solid business to eventually start a sit-down place.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's the thing, he had a relatively simple low capital concept--he thought he could get a shack together for $6k, even if that would leave him without the 6 months of operating expenses. Goons gave him double that, but because he didn't stick to the original plan, he's not going to get anything actually going.

It was "low capital" plan since he didn't do a good estimate for startup costs such as appeasing the vent hood demon or how the building was missing easy access to the sewer main.

On top of that there's also the whole need to have adequate cash assets for at least a year of business since the first year is always the toughest.

• Locked thread