Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
May Vent Hoods Plague Your Dogs Forever - ancient Alabama curse.

How completely terrible can you screw up starting a bloody hotdog stand of all things? There's probably tens of thousands of hot dog stands across the country that any number of people have started without managing to completely screw up. Even with a colossal starting wad of barely no-strings-attached money, this guy managed to completely blew it. It's literally impressive.

Not really surprising, given the dude's pitch. Sometimes that's just how the dog tumbles I guess!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

In lieu of a 40 I'll dump a relish hotdog outside tonight.

How dare you! When there are people in Reform that are going to bed tonight filled to the gullet with cheetos, canned chili, and Sonic...but not relish hot dogs!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
How gross do I have to make my hamburgers look to get you guys to donate money to me?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Zorak posted:

How completely terrible can you screw up starting a bloody hotdog stand of all things? There's probably tens of thousands of hot dog stands across the country that any number of people have started without managing to completely screw up. Even with a colossal starting wad of barely no-strings-attached money, this guy managed to completely blew it. It's literally impressive.

Not really surprising, given the dude's pitch. Sometimes that's just how the dog tumbles I guess!!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

theflyingorc posted:

Who was the person that posted the thing about how Vent Hoods destroy everyone's business plan? Because it sounds like that happened here.

As it was foretold in the scriptures:

The Human Crouton posted:

I predicted this back in the kickstarter thread.

The vent hood got him. The vent hood gets everybody. A couple of updates later is him having to get a $2500 fire suppression system because the vent hood demands it. A warning to all first time restaurateurs: the vent hood hungers for you. The vent hood will ruin your life. You cannot install the vent hood yourself; only the vent hood's expensive minions may install the vent hood. Only the vent hood's elite roofers may cut a hole in the roof for the vent hood. The only mortals that the vent hood will speak to is inspectors, and these inspectors will not disclose the multitude of the vent hood's demands; instead they only pass one single commandment down to the restaurateur once very two weeks until the vent hood decides that it has properly dried you of funds to the point where you can open your business without enough money left for inventory.

Nelson MandEULA fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 27, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

How gross do I have to make my hamburgers look to get you guys to donate money to me?

what sort of gross, like glutton gross?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Overwined posted:

How dare you! When there are people in Reform that are going to bed tonight filled to the gullet with cheetos, canned chili, and Sonic...but not relish hot dogs!

The raccoons are going hungry ever since I pushed the recycle box up against the garbage cans. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

The raccoons are going hungry ever since I pushed the recycle box up against the garbage cans. :(

They always seem to find a way

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
RIP Hot Dog Hovel

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
nice boot

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

etalian posted:

what sort of gross, like glutton gross?

I actually live right near that place, coincidentally. But no I meant this kind of gross.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ryaomon posted:

I actually live right near that place, coincidentally. But no I meant this kind of gross.

Those are just the hot dogs he feeds his family, the ones at Doobies will be different.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Ryaomon posted:

:patriot: posted:

The connection between food, our health, and the world around us is undeniable- but at Doobie’s Dog House we feel, that as Americans, we still should have a choice of the food we consume. Everything in moderation is the key…Even our health aware 1st Lady was seen eating at the world famous Pink’s Hot Dogs in Hollywood, California. So it’s also undeniable to say, that Hotdogs are everybody’s favorite food.

Seems legit

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

He has apparently never heard of pizza.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

RIP Hot Dog Hovel

A fairly fuckin quaint hot dog shack

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Snoop Doobie Dogg.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

RIP Hot Dog Hovel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ho4uZLf14

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Michael Scott posted:

A racist Alabamian took $17,000 in donations from Something Awful goons for a hot dog place (the sample photos of his hot dogs looked pretty gross) and is following through with basically nothing, and none of the money will be returned.

e: Ironically this has validated much of my bigotry towards the American South.

They also cancelled Christmas and broke up with their significant others. Best Halloween ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There is a shack in Reform
They call the Doobie's Dogs
It's been the ruin of many a poor goon
And Lord knows I'm one

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Rap?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

I thought the joke was "collapse".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

RIP Hot Dog Hovel

oobie og hous

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Zorak posted:

You can't even buy a car for 15k. I've never read no fancy hot stand ebook, but it just seemed suspiciously low when you see better funded small businesses fail all the time.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You can't even buy a car for 15k.

http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/29/under_15/

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alternatively: https://www.craigslist.org

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well gently caress. :sigh:

Guess I probably should have saw it coming but I got caught up in the hype and I genuinely wanted to do some good. At least I didn't throw away that much.

Welp that just made me a bit more jaded.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 27, 2013

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
RIP Doobie's Dogs, RIP all dreams ever

Solomonic posted:

Where the hood, where the hood, where the hood at

Got that dog in the cut, where the permits at

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Accordion Man posted:

Well gently caress. :sigh:

Guess I probably should have saw it coming but I got caught up in the hype and I genuinely wanted to do some good. At least I didn't throw away that much.

Welp that just made me a bit more jaded.

Never know, the dude could pull it off.

Not saying it's likely, but either way we get to watch.

At the very least it got me to eat a hot dog for the first time in like five years, which may or may not be a good thing.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Beginning of thread:

Middle of thread:

Now:

Future:
???

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

SpoopyMonkey posted:

Never know, the dude could pull it off.

Not saying it's likely, but either way we get to watch.

At the very least it got me to eat a hot dog for the first time in like five years, which may or may not be a good thing.

and you got to learn Doobie's secret chili dog recipe right?

I mean, that's something. Not everyone knows that recipe.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I find this hilarious because I thought the vent hood post was a joke until I actually checked facebook. I thought this guy was some sort of super penny pincher, how the hell does an over double funded project crash because of a vent hood? I'm still hoping he pulls it out of the bag but jesus...

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Noni posted:

Beginning of thread:

Middle of thread:

Now:

Future:
???

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

-Noni

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Smeed posted:

I find this hilarious because I thought the vent hood post was a joke until I actually checked facebook. I thought this guy was some sort of super penny pincher, how the hell does an over double funded project crash because of a vent hood? I'm still hoping he pulls it out of the bag but jesus...

A vent hood + install is like 10-15k for the tiniest kitchen you can imagine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The response from his mom suggests his Dad will get involved next week. He may pull this out of the fire yet. I donated to give him a shot at his dream. If he fucks it up, well, them's the breaks.

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

A vent hood + install is like 10-15k for the tiniest kitchen you can imagine.

Plus he had already spent a chunk of that kickstarter cash on the coke fountain contract and some other stuff at that point. I'm wondering how much cash doobie will have by the time he opens (if he opens) to keep the lights on

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

and you got to learn Doobie's secret chili dog recipe right?

I mean, that's something. Not everyone knows that recipe.

True, not many people are into proctology.

mastershitter
Aug 10, 2013

by Lowtax

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

-Noni

lol

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

-Noni

haha

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

As if those hot dogs weren't enough to make you lose your appetite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

-Noni

• Locked thread