Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

my new dog posted:

I can't believe I'm gonna buy another pokémon game. I'm supposed to be an adult, but I'm just so nostalgic for this series. I have to continue my tradition of getting the red versions of these games! I'm probably just gonna rush through till I beat the elite four and then completely lose interest.

And I also kinda want to upgrade to an XL..

Yes, get an XL. Much better battery life, a bit more sturdy. The only downside to it is the sound quality, but that's fixed by using headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh if you grew up playing Red and Blue this game is a total nostalgia boner. My party involves a Mega venusaur, a Snorlax I had to wake up with a pokeflute, and I caught a wild eevee. A WILD EEVEE

Hahahaha I spent like 50 loving minutes looking for one in that drat sewer place in B2.

Also, what does the thread title translate to?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Ooh wow, I do not have that much space I think.

SD cards are cheap if you can order them online. They're a loving rip off at most stores.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

i am tim! posted:

I gotta say this is the first Pokemon in a few generations that has caught my interest. Can anybody tell me if the battle pace has been picked up any? Like I'm not talking about radical changes to the combat flow, but one of the things that really bugged me the last time I tried to play Pokemon was all the time spent waiting for health bars to stop filling/emptying or sprites to stop flashing when all I wanna do is press A and use Fire Punch again.

If the last game you played was Diamond/Pearl, that was known for being notoriously slow. Even turning off battle animations didn't save any time since the animations pretty much played out, you just didn't see them occur.

Every game has been fairly quick since then and I doubt that'll ever happen again.

However, knocking out high HP Pokemon like Blissey or Snorlax can still take a good while for the health bar to go all the way down. But for the most part, battles are much faster and you can always turn off battle animations to make it go even quicker.

You can always change your Battle Style to Set rather than Shift. For NPC battles, that means you won't get a prompt to switch after each KO.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

i am tim! posted:

\Especially if I can get a Torchic, which by the sounds of things I can for awhile. Speaking of, is Blaziken still awesome? That guy and Breloom were my favorites from Gen 3.

Blaziken with Speed Boost is completely loving broken as all hell. Protect/Sub, Bulk Up/Swords Dance once or twice, then go ahead and destroy everything that doesn't have an immunity or resists your attacks.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Does this game have Nintendo brand mandatory tutorials that slow the start of the game to a crawl?

BW and BW2 sped through that stuff pretty quickly. What took 30-60 minutes in some Gen 3 and 4 games took, like, 5-10 in Gen 5. I hope they didn't change that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to get a shiny starter? If so would it appear shiny on the screen where you select the mon or only after?

It's possible, but I'm not certain if the selection screen would reflect it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Inspector Zenigata posted:

Edit2: would people be willing to post their friend codes in this thread to better take use of the friend safari feature? It isn't really trading, so I think this fits in here a little better than it would in the trading megathread.

The trading thread has a list of friend codes in the second post.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any items that make the move Fling particularly worthwhile to use?

I guess it's an okay move in-game if you REALLY need to have a Dark type move. Assuming they didn't change Fling, you won't lose your item if you use it against an NPC or wild Pokemon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Why does this girl rival think this guy's poodle dog thing should be separated from its trainer? Just because he likes fireworks or something?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So is there any reason to have a Dragon-type Pokemon if you also have a Fairy-type?

I don't know where you're at in the game (I'm not even at the second badge yet). But generally, Dragon Type Pokemon are ridiculously powerful and usually learn a good variety of moves via level up and TMs. But they also tend to evolve at later levels so you very well may get to the E4 and even a bit into the post-game and not have your dragon fully evolved.

While many think to just keep them out of the snow covered routes, practically every Water type Pokemon can learn Ice moves as well so it is always worth keeping an eye in Water routes to make sure your dragon doesn't get KOed by Ice Beam or Avalanche or whatever.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What the gently caress? I got a Phantump in a Wonder Trade and it evolved into this awesome tree monstet!! How can I get one of my own?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Eonwe posted:

So, I haven't played Pokemon since Gold and Silver. My wife is wanting to start playing, but is a completionist, so I'm assuming she will want to 'catch them all' (at least the ones that weren't for special events). I understand I'll need at least X and Y, but I'm assuming I'll need to go back to gen 5 (and maybe gen 4) to get the vast majority of Pokemon. Is that the case? In looking at the OP as long as I use gen 5 as an intermediary, I'll eventually be able to use the cloud thing to get gen 4 pokemon on X and Y copies.

Just trade for everything unless you/she are already fans of Pokemon and want to do the whole main game over again in older generations

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

does tipping actually do anything?

Weird that in PokeFrance, tipping is a thing. But in actual France, it is an insult.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Keiya posted:

If that was the case, it wouldn't be possible at all. Oh, sure, it might rely on the DS cart being in the 3DS, but still, write to the SD card then to XY. They're just bullshitting to try to get you to accept them paywalling features that used to be part of the base game. Stop letting them get away with it.

Must've been nice for Nintendo to give away Gameboys, Link Cables, and DS consoles for "free" transferring.

Seriously, :getout: if you're complaining about $5 a year

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nevileen posted:

Okay, now that I've decided to run a ludicolo, what Ev's are the best? I'm thinking SP. Attack but I have no clue what else.

I liked the Ludicolo I got in Rentals in Gen 4: Swords Dance, Drain Punch, Waterfall, Razor Leaf

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bowmore posted:

What's the best nature for my Farfetch'd?

Adamant w/ Stick. Dragon Dance a few times and he might be able to KO an opponent all by himself.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lame Devil posted:

So how have people's experience been with the random online battling? Does everyone just use the legendaries? I am refusing to touch it until I breed a team.

I haven't played any battling online yet but in few/no rules like random match, people tend to gravitate to the strongest Pokemon.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I saw a few posts up that people are spotting Gen 3 tutor moves and Landorus on Wi-fi matches. Did 2ch figure out how to hack poo poo up or something?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Elucidarius posted:

I've tried to google this but can't seem to find it. Is there any specific reason to breed ditto with something or is it just for the sake of ease?

I found 2 frogadiers back to back with protean, one male and one female.

Ditto can breed with genderless Pokemon.

That is all. Ditto can't be used to pass down Hidden Abilities

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Any consensus on what the best Ghost type is? I'm looking into getting a Spiritomb all leveled up and stuff for my team (currently Metagross, Volcarona, Salamence and working on a Rotom W right now) just to block Fighting/Normal/Psychic and have access to STAB Ghost moves.

Also, can someone hook a brother up with a Thick Fat Mamoswine? Are they catchable/Breedable in this game?

Gengar is one of the few (mabye only?) Pokemon to be OU in every single generation. And that's because it is so loving versatile. With Ghost typing and Levitate, he is very easy to switch in and that'll likely cause your opponent to switch giving him a turn to set up or attack. A Gengar behind a Substitute is a very bad thing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I find it really hard to get outraged about some fan community that exists within their own website and battle simulator server. I don't know why people who don't like it just don't go there? It isn't like there are Smogon Ninjas enforcing their will upon all.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Well that's kind of the problem, is that if you want to do any kind of pokemon battling at all your options are the official Nintendo format (which is doubles) or Smogon.

e: If you want any relevant amount of players, that is. Sure you can go other places, but having an opponent pool of ~10 people isn't exactly a great thing.

I really don't see the problem with that. If you just do the whole no rules environment you get the rear end in a top hat who drags up Mewtwo and Darkrai and whatever and will curbstomp your team of Empoleon and Heracross. Having some structure is good and having no structure leads to the disparity of some people mini maxing everything and they get opponents who are using their in-game teams

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

So this only marginally pokemon X and Y related, but this maybe be the stupidest article written about pokemon I've ever read.

http://kotaku.com/holy-crap-has-the-famous-glitch-missingo-returned-in-1450131677

Kotaku posts crappy article pretty much describes that entire site

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there a tutor? I want to toss Superpower on my hydregion, out rage on my salamence and garchomp, and aqua tail on the salamence.

Also, where is the brick break tm located?

Move tutors are never in a generations' first pair of games outside of the required Elemental Hyper Beams, Draco Meteor, etc... Move tutors of the stuff you're talking about are typically reserved for 3rd versions/sequels/remakes.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Where the hell do you find the Gems in this game? I desperately need a flying one

I don't know the definite answer, but do we know what Pickup finds in this gen?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Why did they make the rival in this game so bad? For like the last three fights Serena's refused to use more than the same three Pokemon. At this point Blue was running around with a team of like 5 or 6 with legitimate threats like Arcanine and Alakazam. Girl doesn't even act like a cocky jerk or ambush you at the end of caves so it's impossible to not feel bad when you beat her again and again. Blue and Silver and even Hugh would be disappointed if they saw what today's kids were passing off as a legitimate rivalry.

Yeah, at least with BW1 Bianca ended up with a full team (and Cheren kind of does in PWT). And at least BW2's rival had some new Pokemon in his team compared to how similar Cheren/Bianca's teams were.

Then again I'm only on badge 3. But it is just so weird how this supposed veteran trainer is just doing so poorly and there's 3 other rivals who do almost nothing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

How would anyone even go about hacking Pokemon in X and Y? I thought the 3DS was pretty patched down (I know about Gateway), but could someone just make an app like they did wight he DS games?

My very very loose understanding (and possibly wrong) is that editing Pokemon on your computer and then sending them to your game is very much a possibility. But doing poo poo like hacking in wonder cards from past events, backing up a save file on your computer, extracting data dumps from the game itself,etc... is not at all possible now and may never be possible.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

nutranurse posted:

So am I, hacks are what made me just give up on B(2)/W(2). It never made sense to me why the people who hacked didn't just go to Smogon or use some other online pokemon battle sim. People have to ruin things, I guess. :shrug:

A hacked Pokemon is not inherently stronger or weaker than a non-hacked one so I don't know why it really matters. I mean if it really bothers you, just ask before the battle and hopefully the other person isn't a dick and lies to you.

I mean I've done a poo poo ton of breeding and training so I am all for playing legit but I don't care if someone hacks as long as they aren't using Wondertomb. And I'm very in favor of hacking or cloning in the case of hard to get items like some of the berries. I mean poo poo, do you know how hard it is to get an Enigma Berry in Gen 5?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I just don't get why you aren't playing an online simulator if you're just going to cheat pokemon that are perfect at everything into your party.

My Pokemon and your Pokemon are identical in every single way. You obtained yours from an event. I generated mine from the Wonder Card long after the event is over.

What advantage is it in a battle just because mine is hacked and yours isn't?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Is it possible to even use the Pokecheck thing right now? Honestly, if I can stop this multi day hunt for a shiny Elekid, please show me how.

It still works just fine in Gen 5 and there's no reason why legal Pokemon won't be able to be transferred when Bank is out.

Crawfish posted:

You are sounding WAY too defensive over this silly video game related thing dude.

I can get where Internet Kraken is coming from though. It does seem weird that people would even bother playing the game if they are going to just bring in perfect stats everything. Going for the online simulators sound like they would be the easier, faster, more logical choice since it would be effectively the same thing as bringing perfect stats mons in to the games anyways.

The only real advantage I could see of the former over the latter is bringing stuff in to destroy children and casual players online, which seems like a douche move. An even more arseholish one if you didn't even bother to put in the time to deal with the RNG and breed perfect mons.

Nobody's saying anything about perfect stats and even if they were, perfect or near perfect is very possible in Pokemon. I mean the difference between hacking in Gen 6 (which, at this time, is not a widespread thing) and getting near perfect Pokemon is the difference of a couple of hours. There's no inherent advantage hacked Pokemon have over legit Pokemon so like, what's the big deal?

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 27, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

Shininess is incredibly rare without hacking. Keep in mind that all the people you're seeing here talking about getting shiny pokemon are seasoned veterans of the series and, frankly, pretty huge poke-spergs (I'm including myself in that category, mind you), and most of the time even when they do mention how long they tried for a shiny they're not giving you the whole story. That and almost everyone who posted in this thread about shinies weren't trying to get a specific shiny, like you are.

Even though this gen introduced a lot of ways (and several alleged but unproven ways) to increase the shiny encounter rate, it's still incredibly low. The only actual reliable way to get a shiny without putting in hours upon hours of effort is chain fishing, and that limits you to a pretty small subset of potential monsters.

The shiny encounter rate, barring any special methods used, is 1/8192. That's 0.0001%. Not exactly incredibly likely. This number applies to both wild pokemon and hatched pokemon. The methods that raise the probability of shininess actually don't raise it by a whole lot, either, and the Masuda Method (having the two breeding pokemon being from different language copies of the game) is probably the least reliable at this point.

I know it's easy to see all these posts about how awesome someone's new shiny pokemon is and get discouraged, but know that they didn't come by theirs any more easily than you are coming by your own, unless by sheer random luck. Also know that getting a shiny now (or relatively soon) is going to mean a whole lot more than in the near future once a method is released for hacking pokemon in, because then there will be shinies loving everywhere.

Yeah, shinys are hard to come by naturally in the wild or egg hatching. The best way is Masuda Method + Shiny Charm in B2W2. That REALLY knocks down the rate. Odds are still against you but not as much.

In Gen 6, best bet is this whole Chain Fishing thing as well as PokeRadaring.

Not sure if Masuda Method has been improved or not in Gen 6.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rirse posted:

That odd since I remember naming the Gen 2 water starter Sobek back in D/P.

Anyway I am thinking of raising a Muk since he was always one of my favorite pokemon to use and one of the friend safari in my game has them. What is a good nature/moveset for him and should I try for the hidden ability in the safari?

Gen 4 didn't have a censor. Gen 5 is when the censor started.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Frankston posted:

As someone who is only really familiar with gen 1, how can I tell if a Pokemon is shiny or not? I know they are a different colour, but as i don't know what colour they normally are is there another visual or audio clue?

And at least with pre-Gen 6 mons, you can just look up the sprite on Bulbapedia/Serebii/whatever if you wanna be extra certain.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Probably but it'd be easier to just breed it with a Ditto.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't really like white 1 at all. Then again after pearl the releases were coming out way too fast for me to keep up so. Just got black 2 but of course all the social features are gone.

The only feature you can't use in Gen 5 games are Dream World/Global Link, which is no longer accepting new save files to register. Everything else is still fully functional until late this year, when Ranked Random Battles will be shut down completely as well as the Dream World. Unranked Random Match (battles), regular Wi-Fi and local wireless trading/battling, GTS/GTS N, and all that jazz will still be fully functional.

Hell, the GTS and Wi-Fi features for all the Gen 4 games still work as well.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rahonavis posted:

If I start cramming EV-reducing berries down the throats of a couple of freshly-hatched Eevees that haven't gained a single experience point in pursuit of the All Six Nine Eevees Team of pre-teen me's dreams, the affected stat isn't screwed forever is it?

EV reducing berries can't be used if a Pokemon doesn't have any EVs

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Apparently some guy who played the game got a bad egg to appear on Oct 13. Despite Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia collectively lighting their hair on fire and shouting "WONDER TRADING BAD EGGS CAN CAUSE ALL YOUR POKEMON TO BE ERASED!!! HACKERS :argh: :argh: ", what actually happened was this guy just somehow managed to get Bad Eggs to appear in his PC box after capturing a Pokemon.

According to him, he caught a Pokemon and several bad eggs appeared throughout his PC Boxes. Most of them appeared in empty slots but those that didn't erased the Pokemon that were there.

Since it happened on Oct 13, there was no advancement at the time for hacking and there's only a handful of people capable of hacking the game (and as far as I know, directly modding the game still isn't possible, but fake GTSing Pokemon kind of sort of is but isn't publicly available at this time). He says the Bad Eggs can't be normally traded, traded via GTS, or Wonder Trade and are just sitting there in his PC box. The rumor that the Bad Eggs multiply and overtake an entire PC box is completely false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjsySmLeBS0

I personally am kind of doubting that this is actually a thing. While in theory Bad Eggs can appear in prior generations in normal gameplay, it is extremely hard to even make it purposely happen outside of hacking and most times the hacking means a botched AR code. Maybe there's some shenanigans where the internals of his 3ds are hosed up but since there's really only one report of this glitch happening, I'm guessing there's something hosed up about this guy's system rather than a glitch that can occur in anyone's game.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Constable Lemon posted:

For those of you worried about Talonflame, just use any Pokemon with good defense that isn't weak to his STABs, or pretty much any Rock-type ever. Gale Force is a good ability, but Talonflame gets pretty much no coverage moves whatsoever.

I'm just past the 5th gym and I'm liking Talonflame generally but I'm kind of disappointing that the first physical fire move it learns is Flame Charge, a move that I've really only seen Fire Pokemon get when they're fairly low in levels like Tepig in Gen 5.

I guess in competitive mons its Hidden Ability could be useful as a priority revenge killer but it is so loving fast already I don't know how useful it'd be.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mr Confetti posted:

How much of a :spergin: do you have to be to max out 31 boxes? Jesus poo poo.

Anyone who has played the game for several years easily has enough Pokemon to fill up all the boxes, especially once Bank comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

How do I make Archeops usable? His ability is so terrible yet things like Mega Aerodactyl are almost as strong (5 Base attack different) and way faster. I just want to use the first bird.

The one I have now is Naive with max speed EVs and IVs, yet it's slower than a lot of things. I do have a Scolipede that could Baton Pass speed and even more attack, but is there any way to make this guy useful without baton pass setup? His HP goes below half even with super effective damage reduction berries most of the time, as well.

Don't go below 50% and he can wreck poo poo. He's not as fast as Aerodactyl but still pretty fast, and has much better Sp Atk so he can be a bit of a wall breaker as well.

Naive is good if you want to mix your attacks. If you want to go all physical, then give it a Timid nature, 252 atk/252 speed spread should do just fine.

Archeops also gets U-Turn in case you need to get out of the battle. Stone Edge/Earthquake and choose whatever else you want after that.

If you want to go the Baton Passing route, you can Pass it a Substitute and that gives you time to Roost off damage from Stealth Rock. Or give it an HP restoring berry that it'll consume and then you can abuse Acrobatics.

Hammerite posted:

Someone posted that they got a Ditto off the GTS with 6 perfect IVs. This is surprising to me because while I know people have been looking into loving with pokemon being transferred through Wonder Trade, I didn't think there were hacks "in the wild" yet.

(If you are wondering why I assume that Ditto must have been a hack - the probability that a Ditto caught in the Friend Safari will have 6 perfect IVs is 1 in 1,048,576. Just about any other pokemon can credibly have 6 perfect IVs in gen 6 without being hacked, but since you can't breed Ditto, it is incredibly unlikely that you will find such a thing, and if you do find one and know enough to label it as such on GTS then it's incredibly unlikely that you'd trade it away for something like a version legendary. This all of course ignores the possibility that the person trading it away lied about it and the goon who posted doesn't realise this.)

There's only one person who has been able to directly hack the game, and a few more that have been GTS spoofing. None of them had made their methods public and at least with the GTS Spoofers, I trust them enough not to be dicks to trade stuff they're loving with on Wonder Trade.

I'd say the 6 IVs are probably not calculated right and toss it up to personal error.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread