Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

Seriously. Romo has propped up that team for so long but even if he plays until he's 40 like a lot of QBs do he's going to hit his decline phase sooner rather than later. Besides that they have Dez, Tyron Smith, and what else? Ware is old and breaking down, Lee has missed a ton of time over the last couple seasons, Witten can't have too much longer left. It seems pretty dire unless they start hitting on a lot of draft picks, and quickly.

That was the point I wanted to make. The offense is good enough for the short term, but the defense is in terrible shape. Yet they have one safety who can hold the fort in the near term and a prospect they just drafted in the 3rd last year. With their first two picks they're more likely to find guys who can contribute right away in the front 7.

Without looking it up I can tell you that Dallas has drafted at least 4 safeties since 2009, and have added a few free agents too. They just miss on the position frequently, primarily because they love small school project safeties. That doesn't mean they should double down on the position this draft, especially when there's a surplus of defensive line prospects (which happens to be the biggest hole on the Dallas defense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

You guys can't be serious in saying that the Boys' shouldn't take a safety, until what, the 3rd-4th round?

They can add depth to the front 7 with either the 1st or 2nd, and picks 3-7. These small school projects at safety are just as much responsible for their horrendous pass defense as a lack of pass rush. There's no reason to not try for a safety within the first two rounds. They don't need depth there - they need immediate help at that position.

I don't think they HAVE to take a safety at all. Getting caught up in one position seems silly (unless it's a quarterback), especially since the entire defense lacks talent. They only have two picks in the first two rounds, which is where you find most starters. With needs at all d-line positions, OLB, depth at MLB and CB in addition to safety you can't just pound the table for one position.

If Dallas went safety and DT with their first two picks I could just as easily complain about DE and linebacker not being addressed until the middle rounds.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Vet min is what I'd figure the Ravens would offer. Ozzie Newsome loves to sign himself some fresh cut cap casualties. If the guy comes in and does nothing at that price its no big deal. I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't seen enough of Miles playing to know what type of receiver he is but if he has sure hands on third downs its a worth a gamble. Especially if it frees us up for more BPA in the draft.

This does not mean I don't want the Ravens to draft a receiver out of this absurdly deep class. If we can grab Austin with a chance of him contributing then I would be comfortable with drafting only one receiver this year instead of three.

Austin is a good route-runner who relies on his speed to get open and get YAC. He is not very physical and probably won't win many jump ball battles. His hands are pretty good, although he has had his share of drops. He is effective lined out outside and in the slot, however, and would be a good pickup for pretty much any team on a vet minimum contract.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Can someone give me the details on Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier? Looking at his stats he's been insanely productive and he's someone I'm interested in as a Cowboys fan. Is he likely to be available in the mid-2nd or is he a solid 1st rounder?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Ussr posted:

Hmmm, I was born and raised in Texas so I feel no shame in saying this and I also believe it's not going to happen and I'm kinda ready to take a break from the Jerry Garrett Kiffin roller coaster for a season anyway. So if the Texans take Johnny Manziel at number 1 in the 2014 draft I will cheer for the Texans as my primary team (for better or for worse) for the 2014 season.

I'll still be a Dallas fan but I'll be invested with the Texans for 2014.

I kinda feel the same way. I grew up in DFW and I'll always love the cowboys but you gotta have secondary teams. I adopted the Raiders a few seasons ago and it's really sad that I'm more excited about their offseason than I am for the Cowboys.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

I think he's mostly a situational player but looking at his stats he hasn't been great. He also missed four games this year for whatever reason.

Irvin was suspended for violating the substance abuse policy (imagine that).

How does Clinton-Dix compare to Mark Barron? I remember Barron being considering a mid-to-late 1st until a week or so before the draft, where he inexplicably rose to a Top 15 pick and was selected like 7th overall.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oh, thats awesome. My lady is a speech path who deals with tons of aphasia clients. Pretty neat that he has thrived despite a condition that could really throw off his nutrition schedule.

E: It's not awesome. Its unfortunate that he suffers from that condition but it is cool that he reached the mountain top despite it.

Achalasia and aphasia aren't the same :)

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

Here's an article laying out the potential compensatory picks. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

Baltimore should make out pretty well.

The Packers getting a 3rd for Greg Jennings is a steal. Also Dallas has like 5 picks in the 7th round; considering our history with 7th round picks I'm a little excited (as excited as one can possibly be about 7th round picks).

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Toymachine posted:

Raiders not getting poo poo for Phillip Wheeler who signed a fat deal with the Dolphins, started 16 games and got 118 tackles is kind of dumb.

To be fair they signed a number of free agents themselves. Every free agent a team signs offsets a comp pick.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Rap posted:

I think comp picks are a really stupid idea.

In the era of salary caps and franchise tags it does seem a little silly. Teams that pass on their own free agents and avoid spending big money on new ones are also the teams that tend to have success. Why reward them more?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I don't know how serious this discussion is, but I highly doubt that being gay will ever be considered an advantage by scouts/coaches. Michael Sam could be the next Bruce Smith and people will still think "Wow, it's amazing that he was that good while being gay." As long as gayness is associated with femininity by homophobes, nobody is going to look at it as an advantage in a player.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
So glad that Dallas ended up with Ware over Merriman (sorry for wasting your career though).

Random historical fact: Parcells wanted to draft Marcus Spears over Ware but Jerry overruled him. Thanks Jerry.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Parcells is still the best Cowboys coach since Johnson. Other than drafting Bobby Carpenter in the first (because he was friends with Bobby's dad) and the Ware thing he was a solid drafter too.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

The funny thing is I think AJ McCarron has the biggest personality problem of all the draft prospects because he thinks he's perfect, but everyone just prattles about how he's a winner and a great leader. He skipped the Senior Bowl, it sounds like he isn't participating at the Combine. He told Dan Patrick he's not listening to anyone and he doesn't trust anyone. And he blamed Alabama's losses on "entitled younger players" and then additionally blamed recruiters for giving those players 5 star ratings and said they don't know what they're doing. BTW, he didn't exactly have a great game against Oklahoma. They laid an egg.

He just rubs me the wrong way. An arrogant jackass that doesn't know how to handle losing. I feel like we keep getting guys like that out of USC and Alabama and they never amount to anything in the NFL.

I can't wait until those Gruden QB Camp things. I wanna see him react to one of his interceptions and see if he goes full on Pickles.

He also tweeted about demonic influences in the Grammys, and either his mom or girlfriend tweeted some racist things about Jameis Winston. None of this is really relevant to him as a future NFLer, but it makes me actively root against his future success. I hadn't heard about some of the things you just posted.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I don't think there's any way that Clowney is around at 4. I think St Louis either takes him or trades back with a team that wants him. I guess I just can't see the first 3 picks all being qbs, which is the only way Clowney falls to 4.

Why would St Louis take Clowney?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I don't think they're going to take a QB in the first because I don't think they're ready to part with Bradford given how much money they owe him, and the fact that none of the QBs this year look like they would be a definite upgrade. That leaves either Clowney, a trade back, or over-drafting a position of need. Given that Clowney is the best prospect to come out since Luck I think they just suck it up and live with an embarrassment of riches on the defensive line, assuming they don't make a trade. Besides, I know their line was good last year, but having a guy on the edge who is strong enough to get by the tackle and also fast enough to chase down Kapernick or Wilson would certainly be more useful than an over-drafted offensive lineman.

Clowney for the Rams is the most luxury of luxury picks. I don't think they're taking a quarterback either, which is why a trade down seems the likeliest (and wisest) decision.

I know we're months away from the draft, but CBS has Jake Matthews as their #2 overall prospect, so drafting him wouldn't be "over-drafting." Greg Robinson is #4. Watkins, Barr and Mack are all in the Top 10 as well. If you're a team like St. Louis that already has some pretty good talent and just needs to fill some holes, taking a Top 10 prospect #2 overall isn't a huge reach, especially if they're taking quarterbacks off the board entirely.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Because if every qb is dead you win by default.

- Lions fans after 2011/2013 drafts

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

The Rams line is better.

I guess once Bradford inevitably injures himself again, they can level the playing field by taking out Kaep and Wilson :shrug:

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

uggy posted:

I don't follow football too closely but as a rams fan I would like them to take clowney because if he has a chance to be a generational de, I think the rams should take him, even if they already have a very good line.

Missing on him because you already have a good line seems silly considering how fluid the league is and how quickly a team's fortunes can change.

Getting too caught up into one non-Quarterback player is silly. How often do generational players actually improve a team singlehandedly? Suh was a generational DT and he hasn't turned the Lions around.

Focusing on one player isn't the point. The Seahawks had the league's best defense despite not having a single player on their line that anyone would have considered a Top 5 player at his position. The Rams already have a pretty good defense that could be improved with better OLBs and safeties. They also need a lot of help on offense, which is why a LT would make sense if they're sticking with Bradford. Taking Clowney isn't going to win them more games because you're marginally improving your best unit. You're basically upgrading your backup DE spot with either Long or Clowney, depending on whoever starts, with the #2 overall pick.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Why would they want a LT? They just payed Jake Long a pretty big chunk of money to guard Bradford. Honestly I can't think of a single offensive piece worth taking #2 overall for them. They just drafted more WRs last year, and presumably whoever they draft in that position will need time to mature anyway, so he wouldn't be an immediate contributor. They seem to have found their new RB in Stacy, and they already have a TE. I don't know enough about the rest of their line to speculate on whether they need to upgrade there, but they shouldn't have to use the #2 pick for that. So really, who is actually worth that spot besides Clowney or a QB? Obviously trading down is something to think about, but I really can't see why they should pass up on Clowney.

I assumed Long would be gone based on what I've heard so far. Even if Long is back next year at a decent level, I still wouldn't take Clowney. I'd trade down. Taking a WR would be the last thing I'd do, even after taking Clowney.

The only way taking Clowney makes sense is if he's as good as advertised right away. Then you trade Chris Long in the last year or next-to-last year of his deal when the cap hit isn't as big, hopefully picking up a high pick in exchange. I assume Robert Quinn sticks around in this scenario because I think he's the better of the two already and he's still on his rookie deal.

The other obvious option is to take Barr/Mack. I don't watch CFB so I can't tell you how good those guys are. I do know that they have a need at OLB. A front 7 of:

Ogletree-Laurinaitis-Barr/Mack
Long-Brockers-Langford?-Quinn

would be pretty nasty. Especially if they landed Aaron Donald with their 2nd first round pick.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Goetta posted:

The NFL draft grades sure suggest Aaron Donald is garbage. I thought he was a consensus first round or two pick after the combine?

As far as I know, he is. Most mocks have him as a mid-1st rounder for what it's worth.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Azhais posted:

The Cowboys finally won something!

The Cowboys excel at 50% propositions, come on.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
You should cut the kid some slack, he was just following orders.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

Yea, don't they need serious help on defense?

Drafting primarily on need is a suboptimal strategy. They have some cap space they can use on defense, plus the addition of Zimmer should itself improve the defense somewhat. They're also picking so high that outside of Mack, Barr and Clowney there probably aren't great defensive prospects that high. Maybe one of the corners will rise but they just spent a first on a corner last year.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I hear this a lot but in the games I've watched of Wilson he mostly runs laterally. I have not seen the wacky bullshit of, say, Tony Romo.

e: Also, like with Romo and Ben Roethlisberger, you don't even have to be a tiny guy to be injury prone as a person who scrambles a lot. How many back injuries for Tony? Ben is like a corpse at this point? McNabb was injury prone as well and he was a tank.

As far as I know, Romo's only had the one back injury. He had broken ribs in 2011 and a broken collarbone in 2010, both of which were products of terrible offensive lines. This actually supports the narrative that Manziel's scrambling won't necessarily increase his injury risk; Romo is probably healthier because he can move around in the pocket because before this year the Cowboys o-line has been terrible.

Romo had offseason surgery in 2013 to fix a cyst in his back, and then had the back injury towards the end of the season. Unless I'm forgetting something the back injury is relatively new.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Case McCoy is going to be the better McCoy. Just you wait...

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Schwack posted:

Rob Staton has been talking him up a lot, and he seems like a Carroll kind of guy, but is it really that likely that he falls to the bottom of the first? I thought he was getting a lot of talk higher up. ASJ coming off a surgery would be a cool pickup a la Wlater Thurmond but I doubt he manages to sink too far.

It's possible. He's probably the 3rd or 4th best receiver prospect behind Watkins, Evan and Lee. There aren't often more than 4 WRs taken in the first round so it's possible that Benjamin lasts until the end of the first.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Febreeze posted:

It's like the Goofus to Bartlet's Gallant

President Bartlet eases tense situation with hostile nation by agreeing to helpful diplomatic compromise

President Bortles alienates ally by making inappropriate gestures about former ally's past leaders

"to bortle" just sounds like a synonym for "to gently caress up"

Nice job bortling the Crimean Crisis, Mr. President.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

OSU's track is a half second fast, but that still puts him at like a 4.42. Dude is gonna get paid from that.

If Dallas misses out on Aaron Donald (they will) and lands Shazier as a consolation, I won't be too upset.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Can yall post your fake mocks in the thread for fake mocks.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

And yet none of them would make the Raiders competitive...

You sure showed him.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Doltos posted:

No, the surprise #1 is the guy that the media outlet didn't spoon feed to us during the process. Poe was absolutely in consideration because a man his size who moves that well was an anomaly. He was also getting mocked up there for a bit because people were considering scenarios where the Colts didn't go QB.

There's nothing that guarantees any prospect of a #1 selection. The process exists for that reason. What you're seeing is the after effect of all those people saying Luck was the best QB since 2004. He had that rumor mill around him and came out and performed all season and throughout the draft process. That, combined with the glaring hole at QB for the Colts, why he was #1, not because of some manufactured storyline by draft pundits.

Can you provide a mock where Poe was #1? Bc I know he was a fast riser after the combine but people were still surprised when KC picked him. And all post-combine mocks had to reflect Luck's results too.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Yup basically

So I'm confused about something.

- They signed Saffold to possibly play LT (but he's gone now)
- Drafted Watson last year to play RT
- Signed Austin Howard, an RT

I assume now that the plan is to play Watson at LT and Howard at RT. If that's the case, do they really need Robinson or can either Watson/Howard play guard?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Magicpants posted:

So with Wilfork likely to leave, which DTs available around #29 should I be rooting for before BB inevitably selects some small school nobody that nobody has ever heard of?

Louis Nix would be perfect but I doubt he falls that far. DaQuan Jones could probably be had in the 2nd.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Butthead posted:

Not a joke, I just think Watkins looks that good. I'm probably wrong, but I think he could be the next best WR. He doesn't look as good as Calvin Johnson, but I think he could be just as good as Andre Johnson. If you had two WRs you already thought were great, would you pass on Andre Johnson and let your competition draft him just because you thought you were set on that position? I wouldn't, especially if my coach was known to run 3+ WR sets a majority of the time. How would anyone defend that?

The last two Super Bowl winners had relatively average receiving threats. It's fun to dream about pairing elite receivers with each other but it won't matter if they still have a bad qb and terrible defense. Also it's an incredibly deep draft for receivers so they could conceivably draft one at the top of the 2nd and run the vaunted 3WR sets.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Agreed. I'm not 100% sold that grabbing Watkins at 5 is better than trading with Detroit and grabbing Jake Matthews/Whoever

With the receiver depth in this draft, combined with the lack of a solid QB on the roster, I don't see the sense in taking Watkins. If they could do like Cincy did when they took Green in the first and Dalton in the second, that might work. But otherwise I think Watkins is a luxury they really can't afford.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

Regarding the Raiders and their cap space: what is preventing them from giving Bradford-like money to their 5th pick on the Monday after the draft, and sort of forcing the Texans, Rams, Jags and Browns (and the whole NFL for that matter) to spend a lot more on their rookies than they thought?

Rookie contracts are capped iirc.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

KettleWL posted:

His instagram has a better picture and you can see that the tat is actually rad as gently caress.

It's not though? The letters are very poorly done. Going from the top down we have RR that looks like poo poo, lovely looking cursive (these may be old tattoos, though), and GORDON with all the letters different sizes. Not to mention the three different fonts, random mishmash of elements, and the fact that a loving jersey tattoo is incredibly tacky.

It may have turned out decent without the jersey elements but now it's just an ugly mess.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I'd probably hit on one GM and Head coach and then the next team I went to have a muslim prayer mat and talk about healing crystals and chemtrails.

Good way to be drafted by Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Toymachine posted:

Dude rules. Came on the team as an unknown walk-on and ended up starting. I hope the Raiders grab him with a 6th. It's a match made in heaven.

This guy owns

• Locked thread