Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Fooz posted:

I think you guys are thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Pedantic aside: would you really call this show high-concept? I guess you can try to explain the "Doc and Marty" dynamic like people use Johnny Quest for Venture Bros., but I similarly would definitely not call VB high-concept. Some of the plotlines are, but not really the premise of the show.

I actually find this show really hard to sell to others since at first glance it seems to have more in common with "wacky adventure" cartoons like Uncle Grandpa than something that would initially look more mature like your VB or Archer.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Hazo posted:

It's a quote from the first episode.

Oh. :eng99:

I guess I'm really good at not thinking about it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Rick and Morty and their adventures, Morty! Rick and Morty forever and forever, a hundred years! Over and over, running around, all day long, Rick and Morty time. Every minute, Rick and Morty .com, a hundred times!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

LeJackal posted:

He never explicitly states it, but I am getting the message that low-grade semi-functional alcoholism is probably also important.

I always kind of wonder what his own take on his drinking is. It seems like he's developed a pretty effective and adaptive coping mechanism, but I also think he has enough insight and is cynical enough to understand that it's dysfunctional as all hell. I don't think he's ashamed of it or views it as a flaw per se, but I also don't really see him wanting Morty to follow in his exact footsteps there.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo that episode did not let up. I don't think I've laughed harder at any of the other episodes.

Except it gets an A- because fakedoors.com is not real :[

edit: I guess it wouldn't be in this universe though. Uh-oh, I'm thinking about it...

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I'm willing to lay down serious cash for some Turbulent Juice.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

johntfs posted:

Regarding Rick breaking the fourth wall, Rick has the capacity to view other dimensions. He can address the TV audience because he can see you. Even as you spend time watching him, he's spending time watching you. Possibly when you're in the shower, having sex or on the toilet. Then he probably sells that footage of you in other dimensions to finance his research.

Hi, I'm Mister Toilet Footage Buyer, I'll buy that toilet footage for 25 schmeckles! :v:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Your questions were probably answered in the post-credit sequence. It even showed an X-Ray of a human!

That's the part that raises the most questions!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Depends entirely on exactly how much enjoyment you get out of "something happens and all the inmates kill eachother or get killed" because it's the basis of every episode.

I don't usually love excessively violent things, but Superjail makes it work, especially with the art style. There are so many beautiful Rube Goldberg-esque fights or visual sequences through the bizarre jail layouts. The humor can be a bit crude, but a decent amount of subversion and self-awareness helps in that department. It's definitely a show that doesn't need to be longer than 11 minutes an episode, but I think it makes good use of the "short and crazy" adult swim format.

Disclaimer: I have only seen season 1.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Also, a world without Gazorpazorp is a world without Gazorpazorp-loving-field, bitch.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not disparaging the differently abled, I'm stating a fact that reading all of the posts on this forum is making me mentally retarded.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Occupation posted:

Also if you know anything about what his personality was he apparently had a really great, morbid sense of self effacing humor, so for most writers it's probably subconsciously respectful to make fun of him

I like the mental image of Lincoln brought to present day to watch R&M: first the basic history of Hitler has to be explained to him as he listens with horror, but then he heartily enjoys being lampooned with a mashup character.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Wow, I was impressed by the slightly better-than-usual commitment to the character voice and it led me a video of the guy recording. It's just some fan who dubs cartoons into Russian. It's pretty drat decent for an unofficial dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEZv6GLzh4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder how many shmeckles Morty spent on those big fake boobies.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Jubs posted:

I had to upload my favorite scene ever.

Is it a reference to Footloose, Dirty Dancing or Flashdance? Dancing movies from the 80's are all the same to me.

Rage dancing in an abandoned warehouse is specifically Footloose, but I'm pretty sure all of the 80s dancing movies have at least one emotional whirlwind solo dance scene.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo the French toast :laffo:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't it probably just both? The actual Citadel of Ricks and the aesthetics could draw from Mass Effect but the whole concept of a multidimensional council is a bit different. Unless I missed something about multiple versions of people in the later games, I never played ME3.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Shmloo Many Shmlooks is interdimensional television and I am Rick, sitting on this couchthread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBw10VUcNQ

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Looking at that picture makes the "I love Morty" song start looping in my head involuntarily.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Cloks posted:

It's not like there's a huge precedent for successful comic adaptations of TV shows. Adventure Time, anything else?

Steven Universe and Bob's Burgers both have ongoings right now. Bee and Puppycat does too if that counts as a TV show.

But they're all sort of riding off the success of the Adventure Time comic and all its spin-offs. Match the show's art style and find writers who understand the general tone of the comedy and you're most of the way there. If you're a diehard fan of a series they're pretty fun side stories.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Bown posted:

I preferred the first episode (although they were both goddamn fantastic) and went into both blind. Btw do we know who played the time guy in the premiere? Thought that was Clement as Fart

It was bugging me because it's such a distinct voice, I finally realized it was Keegan Michael Key.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know how you can hate Community and love Rick and Morty other than being a contrarian.

I think it's pretty easy to understand just from a format standpoint. If you sit down as a new viewer and watch 2 hours of Rick and Morty, you've seen the whole first season. If you do the same with Community you've basically just seen Ken Jeong act hilarious in a community college sitcom for a few episodes.

I'm a fan of both shows but only Community's craziest episodes come close to matching up with the same energy R&M has.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Typical has been doing more than coloring for a while on this show.

I guess it should wait until the show actually airs but I'm curious what he designed for the second episode, there's tons of cool prop stuff in that one like the antimatter gun and all the different Gear ships.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

SwissCM posted:

You're all literally poo poo.

Rick and Morty thread, this is a court order, it says you can't post poo poo anymore.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I am endlessly fascinated by these aliens. Did they show up in season 1 at all? They're in the second episode of S2, there's more upcoming shots of them preview, one is in the Simpsons opening. They mostly seem to have various administrative desk jobs... and can explode into goo.

I always heard everything they say as "garble blarg blarg!" though.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not saying it should win an award for websites, but it could certainly be nominated for an award for websites specifically about Rick and Morty, like... a Rickky or something.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

So who is getting fired over this?

The immediate fault lies with the guy who named and/or uploaded the files to the adult swim servers, the guy who leaked them said episodes 1-5 were all uploaded with the same filename format and he just changed the numbers. He said he was trying to download episode 4 when they seemed to be removed.

But there are probably other dumb things with their server setup that made this easy too. I'm not sure how huge companies that deal significantly in digital media make mistakes like that these days.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

holy loving poo poo guys the third episode of rick and morty

jesus CHRIST

I don't know, I would rather the thread just talk about Community again.

:ducksiren:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Laverna posted:

I'm really glad that they've had a bit more of Summer in these episodes.
I hope that's something they keep up for the rest of the season.

I love Summer, it's nice that she's becoming a real character and an active part of the main cast. Harmon was talking about it with her VA during the launch party, he said they pretty much intentionally wrote her as a blank slate teen sister and never intended to go any further with it, she was just going to be a perpetually dumb and boring counterpoint to Morty (which reminds me of Shelly from South Park who has spent 15 years as a total non-character). I think he said that Spencer Grammer's performance had a lot to do with it and they really realized how much more fun they could have with her during the Needful Things production.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

babypolis posted:

Did anyone else feel like the whole bit about distress beacons at the beggining of episode 3 was a reference to FTL?

I think it's just a generic trope that FTL utilizes as well. I remember a bunch of abandoned ship distress beacon missions from the Mass Effect games too. Almost every sci-fi adventure series has some bit where a ship in distress is stumbled upon.

Isn't there an episode of Firefly from the reverse perspective, where they float around for a few days with their beacon on?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

No Luck Needed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VEyVamLjYY

yes of course Rick and Summer roid'ed up and beat up the devil. What is not plausible about that? If you do not keep working out, you quickly loose muscle mass

Somehow I never noticed before that Summer and Rick use the exact same combo to take down all of the guys at the end, but I find it extra amusing for some reason, like they choreographed their perfect rear end-kicking team-up move.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Laverna posted:

And she didn't care then either. She's cool.

Consider her Miles Davis.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Justin shouldn't have to listen to anyone tbh.

I thought this was an interesting recurring theme from the season 1 commentary actually, that the whole show is essentially a game of tug-of-war between Justin's insanity and the rest of the crew, particularly Harmon's, desire for effective storytelling, but they have trouble figuring out where the point of balance when they're actively working on an episode. Harmon seems to worry that he's often removing too much Roiland from the mix, but I think there's clearly something enhanced by the collaboration as opposed to Justin's solo work.

His insanity is generally amusing and clever enough that he shouldn't really have to listen to anyone, but I think he's also smart enough to realize that letting himself get edited a bit can make a much stronger end product and if done carefully none of the Roiland charm is missing.

But I think you might have been mostly talking about an outside the writer's room context.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

There's probably an alternate dimension where they use a different punctuation mark so it's called vertical bar fiction or something.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

This is me reading this thread.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I tried watching venture brothers and couldn't get into it, does it have a weak pilot but gets better?

If you watched the actual pilot then it's nothing like the show, but the first episode isn't the best either. I think the Tag Sale episode is the general fan consensus for best introduction episode but a lot of the later episodes on the first season are also great. Ghosts of the Sargasso is probably the runner-up choice for an introduction.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

What the gently caress. DA sucks rear end. This is amazing.

DA just hosted it, the winners were supposed to be picked by Roiland. I thought the top 3 were a little strange myself, but I imagine certain trippy images just resonate with his own weird mind more than others.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

According to Roiland, it was the opposite. DA picked the ones Roiland should vote on, rather than him doing it himself. Which I understand, but if that didn't get into the running at all....

That's retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

It was a great episode

• Locked thread