Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd love someone to adapt a classic RPG setting like Tekumel, Glorantha, Talislanta or Fading Suns into a CRPG. Alas, this is probably not going to happen, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Also acceptable: wild west RPG.

[url=http://games.adultswim.com/westerado-action-online-game.html[/url]Westerado[/url] is actually really good.

Fintilgin posted:

I like the concept of a time travel RPG, but that concept art reminded me of how bored I am of all future architecture being made of steel and exposed machinery. You've got matter extruders and fancy sci-fi stuff, why not make the places you live look pleasant and inviting? Why does everything have to be exposed conduits and metal deck plating? (It's so you know it's the ~future~ :ssh: )

Yeah, that art was generic to the point of being genuinely bad. I really liked the idea of putting AIs with personalities in your head as a way of giving you companions in a Skyrim-style running-around-on-your-own RPG. (Mostly because I've thought of it on my own way before they talked about the game.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Sadly though the Malazan mythology is wasted as a series of really badly written books, all the interesting stuff is buried under mountains and mountains of dense and turgid prose and the world-building is nearly always at odds with actual story-telling.

Yeah. Sigh. I tried the first book and I've pushed through two thirds of it when I've realized I was not going to read a single page more, ever. But apparently the first one was the worst one and from second on it was a masterpiece of fantasydom! Yeaaaaaah no. Didn't try the third one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

shovelbum posted:

So I've seen a lot of 4E talk coming from Rope Kid, is this game basically going to be a love letter to 4E combat? I never really got into it, the classes felt very samey with the hyperstandardized mechanics, they felt like each class or set of classes was an overly-focused part of the skillset of a more complete character. "I use my power" "Oh, miniboss, I use my bigger power" "Oh, boss, time to blow all our dailies"

Run. Run while you can. Tradgames is coming for you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So where's today's half of the RPS interview with the Kickstarter news?

Ugh, those jerks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Woden posted:

Yeah, guess things are wrapping up on the South Park game and they want those developers moving onto whatever is coming after.

While it's sad that we keep hearing about all these games that get canned(Alien RPG, that other Sci-Fi one with Bethesda) or games getting rushed out the door it's awesome to see they might be forging their own path and collecting cash straight from their fanbase. Or the new Kickstarter might just be about the new locations/NPCs in Pillars.

They did say it's not for PoE2.... BUT THAT'S ONLY BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF MONEY FOR POE1 LOL.

But seriously, where's that article. drat you, Nathan Greyjerkface.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

What ever happened to the Wheel of Time game?

They agreed to help some other schlubs who got the license, if they ever got the money to go with it. They didn't.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I do want an Urban Fantasy game they talked about wanting to make.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

coffeetable posted:

I hope there are romances. They can last maybe five lines before another party member pulls you aside and tells you to stop being a creepy fucker.

Dude, statistically like 80-90% of people playing RPGs with romance actually participate in it. Frankly, I find these goony posts about 'romance ewwww cooties' way weirder and sadder. *pat pat* It's okay to pretend to like someone for a while to vicariously experience the rush of falling in love all over again. It's not just for girls. No one will make fun of you for it.

EDIT: Only relevant link I can find at the moment, but I've seen more with similar results:

http://www.dorkly.com/article/10962/love-amp-videogames-a-valentines-day-infographic

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 13, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, they're obviously talking about wanting to make a huge sandbox RPG in an Infinity style engine. Which is pretty sweet.

I'd rather it wasn't generic fantasy, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Okasvi posted:

Where did you get procedural from? All the article said that they're interested in making an open world game, nothing about procedural generation. It'd be just as handcrafted as New Vegas/Skyrim/GTA/whatever else. They'd probably have to tweak the scope of the game map depending on the amount of funding but even a single small town and it's surroundings could be enough for an open world game as long as you can do whatever you feel like inside that town. Probably the only difference between whatever they want to make and Eternity would be that the world would be one continuous place instead of bunch of separate locations. As for episodic open world games, I'd guess they mean that it would basically be an open world game with a ten hour main game and a bunch of ten hour DLC expansions that add more content to the same world.

The thing with the Infinity/Eternity engine maps is that they're basically one giant handmade bitmap. Skyrim and New Vegas are reusable models on top of a procedurally generated terrain. GTA has a budget you could drown small countries with, if converted into physical money.

They could do an open world game, but they'd probably have to switch back to tile-based terrain. As I recall Divine Divinity was basically one big top-down sandbox game.

An episodic game would have to have a real tight focus, tighter than Alpha Protocol. And frankly, I'm just not a huge fan of the episodic model. I can't play rpg DLCs because it's such a pain in the rear end to reimmerse myself back into the game again. Episodic for RPGs would make it even worse.

And please leave Numenera to Fargo. There are other settings to do and frankly it's okay, but it's not that great.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 14, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress you all for putting the idea of a WoD Obsidian game into my head. gently caress. You. All.

It will never happen :smith:

WoD is not the only urban fantasy setting in existence. Just saying. Frankly, I'd even prefer it if they came up with their own.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'd be up for a Russian Civil War setting with Cthulhu elements.

Sure.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also,

> combat is balanced so you *have* to regularly use them

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

This may be sacrilege, but I don't ever remember playing any Infinity engine games. I watched a friend play through Baldur's Gate as a young lad, but beyond that I have zero experience with them. Is there a universally agreed-upon starting point?

Just play Planescape Torment for the visual-novel-y goodness. Just make sure to read the Creating the Character part from here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/187975-planescape-torment/faqs/7964

There's basically one good build that will allow you to enjoy the most of content and you should use it.

The first Baldur's Gate is old as balls and not in a good way. I've played BG2 first and frankly I don't feel I've missed out on much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Part of the problem is having stats AND classes. There really is no good reason other than tradition to even have that sort of thing - let a fighter be a fighter be a fighter, and let the player choose how smart or dumb that character will be. To keep each fighter unique, have them select a perk each level or earn them through their accomplishments, sort of like Fallout - some perks can be a straight "more damage with this kind of weapon" but others can be "better critical hit chance" or "dodge more" or "stand up to more hits" or "hit more than one opponent at a time." You want to make that fighter that fights smart, not hard? Fine, get the perks that let you deal damage quickly, but don't tie dealing damage to a statistic like intelligence.
Or you can decide there will be no classes in the game, and all characters will be able to do all things but suck at the jobs they don't have good stats for. Yeah you can have the weak nerdy type fight on the front lines with a sword, but wouldn't it be a better idea to have him switch roles with the beefy dumb guy who you've given a spellbook and a pointy hat?

What I'm saying is, for a game that has made the fun and exciting design choice to be "gamist" rather than "simulationist" (for the record I am firmly in the 'gamist' camp) having physical and mental attributes - which will ABSOLUTELY define a character's role in combat before you explicitly pick what role they are going to play just doesn't make sense. Stats are "simulationist." Classes are gamist.

I desperately wish this game did everything with a combination of derivatives (health/attack/mana/AC/etc) and abilities/perks/moves/feats/powers/skill trees/whatever instead of attributes. I've come to hate attributes in crpgs so much. (Tabletop rpgs are a different story.) Unfortunately, this is a game specifically designed to make AD&D neckbeards feel young and in love again. Frankly, what makes me sad about this is that if this succeeds their entire breakout franchise is now saddled with grognard systems design forever. (I do hope it succeeds, though.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

In D&D, there already is a single damage stat for a lot of melee classes: Strength. Con and Dex are valuable enough for most fighters that not everyone builds max-Str fighters with dumped Con and Dex. The problem isn't that Strength is the only stat that affects damage for those classes, it's that the other stats don't affect enough meaningful things for those classes to make them attractive alternatives.

*cough* The problem is the existence of stats. *cough*

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

This game will have ability scores and classes.

Yeah, I know man. I know. But your post was about D&D.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

My GDC Next talk (in video form) is free for a while.

http://gdcvault.com/play/1019680/Gathering-Your-Party-with-Project

Dope sweater, man.

So is that an ingame travel map at 7:12?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 4, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There were two people familiar with Darklands in the audience... out of how many?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This was pretty interesting. Do tell us if your other talks become available for free, I've been wanting to watch them for a while now. Maybe on your answer Tumblr thingy, so that it doesn't get lost in the thread?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Furism posted:

Great presentation. I didn't have any doubt, from the posts they made on this forum and other places, that RK & Obsidian "get it." So now I guess all they have to do is write an amazing story and we'll have the best CRPG ever made.

I want novellas or shorts in that universe now :argh:

You can still pledge $50 to get a Chris Avellone novella, I believe.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For shame, you guys.

Ten foot pole.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It being (magically) collapsible goes without saying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is it? I never got the impression Faerun was much more than a bunch of fantasy archetypes smashed together into the rough shape of a setting.

Yeah, it's generic as gently caress.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just because there's a lot of it doesn't automatically make any of it good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zore posted:

Part of that is because its old enough that it helped establish a lot of the concepts that are 'generic' now because people have been copying and reinterpreting them for years. I dunno, that sort of feels like saying Middle Earth is generic as gently caress with its Dwarves, Elves, Orcs etc.

Yeah and Greyhawk. And Mystara. In fact, they're kind of interchangeable. The only difference is that Greenwood is a huge sperglord who can't stop coming up with setting minutiae.

So, that doesn't automatically make it good, either.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 6, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

That said, I find claiming that Planescape:Torment is more realistic than Baldur's Gate on the economics or food production front absolutely hilarious. Sigil has two markets that sell food and no explanation of where it comes from. Do people import food through portals to Iowa and The Shire? Are there green areas in the city? Are the chocolate and fresh fruit that are for sale more luxury items while most citizens subsist on rats? I have no idea. Having read several relevant setting books for D&D, I still have no idea.

It's a game set exclusively in bits and pieces of a big city. It doesn't address this because it never needs to come up.

quote:

Q: Is there such a thing as planar commerce, and how does currency work?

A: Planar trade is very big business. Large merchant cartels exist which take care of many trans-planar trade routes: for one thing, practically all food and building materials have to be imported into Sigil (ever wondered why nobody has allotments in the Cage?). Lucky for them they've got the portals. It's a knack of finding portals that have convenient and cheap keys (the ones triggered by words are best) that open into civilised areas of the planes. Once you get control of one of those, the planes are your oyster.
See also Sigil and Beyond, p 69.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Resets your number of tries if I remember correctly. Makes all those games really easy.

They're already really easy, though. I actually enjoy hacking in F:NV.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MartianAgitator posted:

So, eyes being windows to the soul, wouldn't an undead creature's eyes decompose last? I'd love to see some skulls on the ground with eyeballs that follow you around, like they are the last of some undead dudes who have had the rest of their bodies decompose and can now only stare hungrily.

rope kid this needs to be in the game

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hahaha they're working for mail.ru hahaaha.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rope Kid's redesign of the FO3 SPECIAL system was really good

It was also a relatively minor tweak of someone else's massive reimplementation of someone else's system.

I haven't been a big fan of Obsidian's games from the mechanical perspective so far. Even South Park is more of a "eh, this is an okay JRPG, if too easy". In their defense, I'm not exactly enamoured with the mechanics of most Bioware and Bethesda games either. Mass Effect 2&3 are the only ones that have a genuinely good basic gameplay loop and that's because they pretty much took it from Gears of War.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Skyforge should actually come out sooner, so that will probably be our first chance at seeing a collaboration between the people behind Knights of the Old Republic II, Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas and the people behind, uh, World of Speed, Lucky Fields and Poker Arena (admittely that first one looks pretty good, and from the comments it seems the developers have some racing pedigree).

After googling 'skyforge' and wading through a lot of Skyrim- and LoL-related results, it seems you can sign up for the beta now, and there's been a new trailer released yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_eV6RhtRr0

If I had to say something nice, I'd say that I like how the aesthetics are halfway between Western and Asian MMOs (fitting for a Russian product, I suppose) and that they have some Protoss-esque 'technology indistinguishable from magic' thing going rather than sticking to pure medieval fantasy.

It's by the team behind Allods Online.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sensuki posted:

There's some System Requirements floating around on the internet, but they're probably fake:

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=19523

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, graphic card 128 MB (GeForce 6600 GT or better), 20 GB HDD, Windows XP/Vista/7/8

:iamafag:

Then again, if that's a guess, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close.

I'll be shocked if it takes up more than five-ish gigs.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://steamdb.info/app/317120/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

EDIT: Oh right, posted at the very end of the previous page. Well, it won't hurt to have it here as well.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 12, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Could be the mysterious project obsidian is working on with fail better games.

I suspect Failbetter are the ones running the ARG for Bioware's new urban fantasy RPG.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Can the world handle TWO off-brand D&D titles from Obsidian?!

(Yes.)

I suspect it's more likely to be a PoE sourcebook for Pathfinder than a Pathfinder CRPG.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Could well be, but it's a little weird just because PoE uses a totally homegrown system for mechanics which may not have straightforward conversion. Unless it's just lore/world, I guess.

Translating that poo poo from one system to another isn't that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jackard posted:

:nexus:

What a waste that would be.

I doubt the Pathfinder people have the money to fund a CRPG, even a old-school one, and I don't see Obsidian licensing an IP that's similar to what they're already trying to make. It's going to be a tabletop thing of some sort.

• Locked thread