Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pivit posted:

I'm still in the "new dashcam this is so cool" phase so I took a recording of my daily commute and speed it up 16x in windows movie maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_2RsK0mIE

As you can see, we get some pretty severe gridlock around here.

Please reupload this with Dick Dale's Nitro as the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
If I was the rear end in a top hat in the Equinox what I would have wanted is for him to have stayed in his lane and leave the right lane completely open for me to swerve into and pass everyone in the left lane. That being said, that's only what I would want to happen because I'm an rear end in a top hat driving an Equinox at 90 miles an hour and what he did was perfectly legal, acceptable, and most importantly was telegraphed beforehand and therefore completely predictable. He wasn't showing anyone who's the boss by signaling a lane change and maintaining his already fast pace. If your only point is that he could have predicted an idiot was coming up behind him then sure, he could have, but that depends on exactly how far beforehand he noticed the Chevy's speed and if he wasn't aware of the exact disparity between their speeds, only the fact that he was gaining on him, then no there's no reason he should assume the guy was going to swerve around him that fast instead of just match his speed and pass everyone on the left together.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ace944 posted:

Here are some clips I have collected and put into a small video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYj74UBIqk most of the video was taken by a cheap Chinese knockoff dashcam that I am quite happy with http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1080P-Ca...=item1e835a8ef9

I love the guy turning at 27 seconds. I almost forgot it was you who posted it because I'm so used to Russian dash cams where everything is all accidents, so I was truly expecting after the first two cars stopped and he proceeded to turn, that some truck was just gonna plow through him as he crossed the third lane.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

anonumos posted:

I dunno, I'm still firmly in the camp of "biker should have slowed down". You just can't expect a car driver to predict a collision with a speeding anything. I'm shocked that they prosecuted. Shocked.

edit: basically, '7 seconds my rear end!'

Yeah that's a tough one. I know it's just youtube quality and real life would be better, but I couldn't see a car in that lane until 4 seconds before impact, and the car is easier to spot than a bike. The car driver is just lucky he was on a bike or they'd both be dead.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

anonumos posted:

Though, of course, watching out for bikers is A Good Thing(tm). I just don't know if Clio could have done anything even if he did see the guy.

Now I'm going back and rewatching it and the biker does start moving to the left side of the lane once he says whoa, so if the car had been paying any attention he could have just stopped in the middle of the lane and he probably would have still made it. If I didn't see a biker flying right at me, and then suddenly saw him I like to think that given my position in the lane when I saw him I'd either speed up or slam on the brakes, but that guy doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Not to be gruesome or anything but I'm trying to picture what exactly killed him, because I'm imagining the height of the Clio's hood just hit the bike itself and not his head or anything, so I'm guessing it was just the ground that did it. I'm sure there are a dozen different things either of them could have done to lessen the severity of the crash, but I guess if the purpose of the video being posted was to get people thinking about road safety it worked, although no more or less than that Russian dude doing the perfect flip onto the roof of that car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I thought the video was posted not because the guy is completely oblivious walking through an intersection, but because he had an amusingly flamboyant reaction to almost getting hit that involved sort of blowing the driver a thank you kiss? I dunno, seemed adorable and funny considering the average response in that circumstance.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Horse Divorce posted:

I know. I'm really just proving a point. Almost every video that's been posted as of late has a hoard of people jump on the cammer with complaints just like that. But those critics weren't sitting in the seat and have no context for the event their critiquing.

Cameras don't show what's going on behind us, and they also don't show distances the way we see them (fish-eye lenses and such). So we get armchair quarterbacks that dismiss the most obvious offender and jump on the camera man.

Everybody drives in the left lane sometimes. We could be passing traffic that's just a little slower than we like, getting ready for an exit ahead, or simply because we're lazy and nobody else is around to require us moving aside. But the armchair quarterbacks won't have any of that, they're the batman of the streets: the bringers of asphalt truth and justice. It just annoys me that the most egregious offenders (like the idiot in your video, could have caused a major accident. Goddamn...) get a pass or even excused away because of the slightest perceived, possibly non-existant, wrongdoing of the cammer.

Sorry to use your post as a soap box, but at least that's out of my system.

You're making poo poo up, no one excuses the people who cause accidents, but it's pretty pointless to rant at them in this thread because those people aren't reading this thread. Sometimes people are just in the left lane when they really don't need to be out of habit, and mentioning it is all it takes to plant the seed in their head that hey, maybe I don't need to be in the passing lane all the time. And if they get upset that they didn't show us enough before-the-incident information in the video they posted then they have the power to post more video, but that's hardly something we can control.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Yep, there are 2 Aurora bike cops out here that used to -always- sit at the same place. Then the speed limit went from 55 to 65 and low and behold they no longer hang out there. Now they hang out where it's still 55 but if you aren't paying attention you pull over after the FINES DOUBLE BECAUSE WE SAY SO sign. God I hate traffic cops. If you want to be a revenue collector, why not just go work for the IRS?

Meanwhile how many IRS accountants wish they could do what they do but add riding motorcycles to it? I mean if there was a job that mixed my desk job of video editing with riding motorcycles I'd be on board. I guess there's no job that gets paid for just riding bikes around highways so you gotta mix it with something that makes money.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

Loved how he did it while pushing a baby stroller! Father of the year!

Cut the guy some slack. Has anyone considered the Aston driver ran a red light almost killing the baby as the dad pushed the stroller along a crosswalk then immediately parked and left his car and the dad happened to stroll by and recognize it? Okay that does sound a little far-flung.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
The only time I encountered a lost cat in the road I stopped and it when up to my muffler for warmth. Was dirty as hell, no collar and a wonky leg. Took it home, gave it some milk and the next day my sister took it to the animal hospital and she said they'd have to put it down. It's funny how much I love kitties that I don't know but my girlfriend's cat can eat a dick for making GBS threads on the mat right next to her litter box this morning just because my girlfriend is away on a business trip this week and she just wanted to showcase her displeasure. Only 6 more days of this.

But kudos to you PenisMonkey for being good and kind.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hope its siblings and mom are also okay. :3:

gently caress 'em, they didn't have the balls to hang out where they'd either get adopted or run over. Coffee is for closers.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PhoenixWing posted:

Driving near the local college is always entertaining. This guy is already half way over the white line when the video starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeCjX-aGEoA

Probably should've predicted he'd pull in front of me at the end, but, I wasn't really expecting him to floor it off the line and catch up to me.

I thought the point of lane-splitting up to the front was because motorcycles launch a lot faster than regular cars. If you're not gonna out-pull a Saturn Ion shouldn't you just stay in second?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PT6A posted:

I think it comes from driving manuals too long and then switching to an automatic; that's the only thing that even starts to make sense to me, although it's still not an excuse.

But if you're a hot rod coolbro like Mr. Saturn Ion there you gotta throw your auto into neutral at stop lights so you can get off the brake and make everyone think you have a manual like all the awesome dudes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Buck up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
U-turns are still illegal at any controlled intersection in D.C. So anywhere in the middle of a road as long as there's no double-yellow is where everyone prefers to make u-turns, preferably with lots of traffic around.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I watched the video with the sound off at first and had no clue why anyone thought it wasn't 100% the mercs fault. I guess horns are alarming but I'm still gonna put 100% blame on merc because hearing a noise doesn't give you the right to (try to) stop your car and get out in the middle of a public road. No one likes loud sounds but that dude could have easily gotten himself or someone else dead.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I don't understand why all the descriptions say "ride" of way.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah, for once they youtube comments are actually on to something. The uploader insists that his wife that was the driver of the car filming didn't cause the accident. But from what the video shows it's kinda of hard to believe to she didn't. But it could be that as she was switching lanes, the black car swerved out to pass the truck on the right (which isn't impossible).

It sure seemed like that black car was going fast enough at the time it swerved that it never had any intention of stopping for traffic and was banking on being able to seamlessly merge into the left lane. At the time it actually touched the truck it's like 10 feet behind the taxi. Best case scenario black car is guilty of the same no-signal merge the driver tried to accomplish, but without noticing there was a car in the next lane and staying in their own lane with enough space to stop like the driver did.

I've been guilty a couple times of starting a merge with someone in my blind spot, but whether I notice they're there before I actually get over or they have to honk to make me realize (fuckin' smart fortwo cars are so tiny) I never instigate a merge where the consequence of it being unsuccessful is I slam into the car in front of me in my lane because I was going too fast and they're stopping.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, he was stopped, so what else did he need to do?

Proceed forward after noticing the other traffic was also stopped. At least here if there are no working lights you treat it as a 4-way stop sign intersection, so if the coast was clear he could have just gone like the van did. Is that the case in most of Europe or are you obligated to sit there until there just isn't any traffic on the larger road?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

wolrah posted:

That particular stretch of road has some concentrated stupid (current NE Ohio resident here), but Ohio is one of the better states I drive in. I argue that Indiana drivers are worse by far on an overall statewide basis. So many loving left lane hogs. The DC area is the absolute worst place I drive regularly, but that's understandable with the combination of density and variety in drivers.

Allstate's recent survey, among the top 200 U.S. cities the D.C. area came in 197th for collisions.

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-resources/americas-best-drivers.aspx

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you just delete all music older than a few years to keep others from thinking you're out of touch?

We're so two thousand and late.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Removed. Got a mirror anywhere?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cartoon posted:

'Mate' is a killing insult in those circumstances.

Mate'Dib

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Someone posted this on the Kia Stinger forums I'm on and features two assholes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoKXtzs_Xr0

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
The best thing about polarized lenses is when you have tinted windows every dark car looks like it's got color shift paint. As if TVR released a bunch of boring sedans with reflex purple.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Stopping in the middle of an intersection is the correct procedure for dropping your kid off for school in the morning, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHJgqlU4Bw

At 43 seconds is that some manufacturer camouflage on that car? Or just some weird wrap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
If that many people are driving on the wrong side of the road, I guess I can understand the wave of nationalism currently happening there. Might just be easier if they went ahead and switched to driving on the right.