Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

THE PWNER posted:

It was pretty long and a lot of different stuff happens. At least 2 hours.

But it's a lot easier to add length when you're introducing the setting to people for the first time.

It also involved a lot of stupid poo poo, like the motel section that relied on really stupid contrivances or the Quest For Batteries. S2E1 had significantly fewer facepalm moments if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

THE PWNER posted:

Best line in the whole episode was I'd shoot me. So ruthless!

Next time someone says Clem is just a little girl, I really want the opportunity to just flat out say "I've killed two people. Like, deliberately, not by being a gently caress-up like Nick. This is on top of a gently caress-ton of walkers and also a dog." drat straight I'd shoot Clementine, she is the tiniest little badass and probably the most competent character not named St. Lee.

Echoing what everyone is saying about this episode being way, way better than Episode 1. I like that the characters aren't so clearly black-and-white as they were in Season 1. Its possible to sympathize with Nick even though he's a huge gently caress-up, become frustrated with Carlos and Luke for babying others even while they are generally good people, Alvin has apparently been in the poo poo, so on and so forth. And Kenny. :allears: Oh Kenny. I realized only a moment before he called me Duck that he was still super-hosed up and had just buried it under that beard. That definitely isn't going to backfire at some point. I can't wait to tell Sarita all about Katja and Duck because Kenny clearly hasn't.

Terminally Bored posted:

I liked that his story was one of redemption, can't really see the story of this quality being told in season 2.

I do think the story might suffer from not having a strong narrative core and character arc like that. If nothing else, it means we probably won't get a climax on par with the Stranger and Lee laying out his sins but that's a hard act to follow.

EDIT: And oh my loving god the credits song owns.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 5, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet Lee would have landed that shot on Carver.

Between Kenny filling out this spoiler so people don't guess and Clem, it'd be hilarious if you could build up the myth of Lee until all the new people think he was some mighty titan who strode the earth smiting walkers with one hand and bandits with the other and will one day return to lead us to the land of milk and honey.

quote:

Can anyone give a quick refresher on who's who from 400 days? I was told Matthew was one of the characters from it too and I didn't remember him or Bonnie.

Matthew was not in 400 days. People are probably confusing him for Vince who was the Asian-looking convict that had to shoot off another convict's foot. Bonnie was the woman that was getting a little too close to a man and ended up accidentally murdering his wife.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I am dumping the first group first chance I get. Only Luke is likable because he treats Clem like an adult, but he's tied to the hip to the rest of those losers. Nick has good intentions, but rages out and is a fuckup. Carlos is ab overprotective dick and his daughter is a burden. Alvin steals from the group and I don't care for Rebecca. Sure they all got their reasons for being what they are, but their baggage got people killed and the rest captured.

Going along with Kenny from now on. Sure he's violent, fickle and half cracked, but I'll take him over the rest of those jerks. At least he's a mostly known quantity.

The whole time I was playing the episode I wanted an option to say "Kenny. Kenny, this group is hosed. Like, more hosed than our last one. Get me out of here.

Still need to find Christa though and I wish there were more dialogue options that made your reason for sticking with the new group Christa rather than just some vaguely defined preference.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Max posted:

About Sarah I have a feeling she is going to accidentally shoot someone. When I was teaching her how to handle the gun, she pointed it at Clem. Her naiveté in dangerous situations might get people in trouble.

Also, did anyone tell Carlos to shove it, he's not your dad? That actually felt satisfying.

Yeah, I have this feeling its going to end up being a situation where she thinks she's more competent with the gun than she is and ends up hurting someone. Season 2 seems to be trying to play with people's expectations from Season 1 at various points and I know I at least rationalized teaching her about the gun because, well, Lee taught Clementine.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DrNutt posted:

One thing I enjoyed about this episode was being able to say things that were dialogue callbacks to things Lee tried to teach Clem. And then realizing that despite his best intentions, he forgot to give her any context or reason for those things, so she has no idea why they're so important.

Man, this makes the "Remember, its just a thing. I don't know what that means." during gun training way more depressing. :smith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

massive spider posted:

Both, the implication Im getting is that shes a bit slow.

Whats this about gun training?

You can start teaching Sarah how to use a pistol just before Carver shows up at the cabin. At one point, Clem tells her to remember that its just a thing which is something Lee told her back on the train. But Lee never really explained what that meant (don't be afraid of it basically) and when Sarah is confused by it, Clem doesn't know what to tell her.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dezztroy posted:

I thought Mark was the only ex-military guy in season 1?

Lily was Air Force and I wanna say Larry was a Vietnam vet but I don't remember exactly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

Clementine is hungry, and sad Lee didn't save her.

This is the reason I could never do a DickLee run. :negative:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Borderlands was great in spite of itself because all the components were cool. I honestly don't know that I can deal with an hour of Tiny Tina jokes without any real gameplay.

Anthony Burch isn't any where near TtfB so thankfully no forced humor.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Here comes the CIA document style spoiler tag portion of the thread again!

I'll go ahead and summarize them: Nothing good happens.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Such a good series.

I decided pretty much the moment the slow-mo started that that arm had to come off and there was zero loving hesitation. So I'm currently 3 for 3 on this series' opportunities to remove limbs.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

THE PWNER posted:

Afterwards I was thinking Well, we could've just chopped the arm off after we're clear of the horde but I make my choices heat of the moment.

I think the idea is that that poo poo's gotta go NOW. We've already seen with Lee that you can't wait too long and when Reggie is describing what happened, he mentions that Mike pretty much instantly killed the walker and then severed the arm. There is zero waiting period.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PurplieNurplie posted:

So what happened to Sarah at the end there?

I told her to run and she loving bolted and then her broken glasses show up and not her in the next episode... is she hosed?

I'm gonna guess that she's gotten separated from the rest of the group and the finding her is going to form the crux of either the next or both of the remaining episodes.

Which just reminds me that there's only two episodes left. :negative:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dolash posted:

You need more of a stomach for revenge.

I actually only just realized that the grain elevator thing Clem used to get out of the enclosure was a clever way to explain why they did rely on Clementine for so much, since only she was light enough to go up it safely. That's a smart way to explain why she takes the lead so much this episode beyond the fact that Kenny out and out declares her the most competent and trustworthy person there.

This led directly to my third-favorite dialogue option of the season: I need a boost. Clem is a PROFESSIONAL and she ACTS LIKE ONE.

quote:

Guys, I just played the whole episode through and I'm kind of afraid of Clementine now.

Second-favorite dialogue option of the season: I'd shoot me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(ending talk) Oh I know, if they were in a different situation I would of lopped the arm right off to.

But they're in the middle of a storm of zombies, as far as the eye can see, when Serah screamed her dad got dogpiled and eaten, for Sarita you just gave her a new stump which probably would work if it was fixed- but she just started screaming insanely loudly in the middle of the zombie pack, I have no idea how your supposed to protect her for long enough to get her to safety before she A: Bleeds out or B: Somehow doesn't get mauled by more zombies.

Sarah started screaming after Carlos got shot and dogpiled.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, as we can see with Kenny, Telltale likes to confirm kills. If its kept vague, I'd imagine they might be planning to bring Christa back.

Or they're just going to leave it an unanswered plot thread. Not everything gets tied up neatly. :smith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its actually a bit of a relief that it appears that Telltale deliberately wrote the Season 2 group to be completely incompetent. Locking a girl with an open dog bite in a shed no longer seems like bad writing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Whatever causes the zombies in The Walking Dead triggers on ANY death, not just ones from zombie bites. So it wouldn't make any sense for other countries to be fine. This isn't the sort of thing you can just quarantine and contain.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JawKnee posted:

I'm willing to bet they double down on clem going black-metal hardcore next episode

Telltale, please include a Norwegian death-metal skin for Clem in Ep 4 tia

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Spalec posted:

And a trailer in case you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmvFEnd5UzU

"You know what it feels like to get beaten almost to death? Peaceful. It was like I was floating away.

And then I woke up again."

:smith:

VV :smith::respek::smith:

1stGear fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 17, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The achievements are up on Steam. One is a very, very mild spoiler so avoid them if you want to go in totally blind.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Really. Having a coat from the wrong side of the Civil War is what we're worried about now. This is a thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just finished it. Weeeeeelp.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Roland Jones posted:

Really, this is the first episode that has me thinking that this season's going to not be that great. I had thought all the complaints in this thread were ridiculous. But this one has me doubting Telltale. It feels like they're just axing people now, to the detriment of the story and character arcs. It's starting to feel like this whole season was a waste and is going nowhere.

They wrote too many characters. The initial group was fine but then they start tossing in Kenny and Sarita and the other guy at the lodge and then Mike and Jane and suddenly there's no room left for anybody. So we start getting a bunch of characters killed off unceremoniously every episode.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Also the credits song wasn't as good. I feel like they may have blown that load a little early with In the Pines.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Kill Kenny erryday.

Dude was an aggressive dick who was constantly convinced he was right and could not accept challenges to his authority. He didn't understand the concept of diplomacy or tact, was never going to get over the death of Katjaa and Duck, and was never going to be happy in a community he didn't control (because he would convince himself that he could do it better). With the amount of poo poo he had gone through, and the amount of poo poo he was likely to continue going through, it was practically a mercy killing. Kenny's a bro and all, but sometimes you gotta let a bro go.

Jane should have been introduced earlier in the season so we could get a better look at her own litany of issues. I also wish that choosing to go with her was less binary than "Forgive" or "Get hosed *flips bird*". By the end of the season, I was exactly back where I was at the end of Episode 1: wanting to leave all these fuckers behind so I could go find Christa.

I did like the "Go with Jane, accept family" ending. The kid's comment at the end and Clem's practical eye-rolling dismissal of it was fantastic for showing how far she's come/fallen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno how much I like the name Clementine, let's just call you Lee Jr.

Look, I'm really sorry I hit you, but you know how I get when you disagree with me. I did this for the good of the family, Lee Jr.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Bought season 1 THIS WEEKEND for full price, and now its like 75 percent off. Does steam have some sort of customer protection in place, or am i poo poo out of luck?

You're hosed, unless you super want a game never buy it outside of a Steam sale.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Also, apparently The Wolf Among Us is fully done. Should I buy that and marathon it for my Telltale fix? :f5:

TWAU is good, but its even more railroady than Season 2 was. Much more so because its so heavily noir-influenced that if you don't deliberately hit the standard noir story beats and responses, it starts to feel a little off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mira posted:

I really wish TellTale would just move on from Clementine's story. This whole second season really did nothing else but take away from the bleakness of the first.

How is Season 2 less bleak than Season 1? Hell, the season can end with literally the entire adult cast dead out and will have at most one survivor.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

monster on a stick posted:

- Why the ominous music when you let the family in and the father has a gun? Everyone has a gun. CLEM has a goddamn Glock. "Oh my god, survivor of two years of the zombie apocalypse is armed." I guess they were going for the 'maybe you made the wrong decision' vibe but that was a stupid way of doing it.

Its just intended to instill doubt. There's a few little things like that in the family sequence. Primarily the "father" being white while the kid is black and shoving the woman away when she tries to take his arm. Its intended to make you wonder whether taking them in is the right thing to do and make turning them away seem pragmatic instead of dickish. As Jane says, do you really want to go through all this poo poo a third time?

If I could have responded to her, it would have been yeah. We're never going to stop going through this poo poo because the alternative is being alone in an empty department store playing at being sisters. The poo poo is never going to stop. That's the way the world is now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

strangemusic posted:

Time. They were running low on time and needed to get to food/shelter ASAP.

I'm pretty sure you can see one of the end of the lake behind them while they're crossing. Its like 45 minutes guys, come on.

Telltale really should have just whited out the background or something to make it seem like a huge loving lake/river.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

the whole game felt like it needed another pass of edits or something, but was overall pretty good minus the couple of silly plots holes.

it seems like the themes they were going for werent tight enough with what they had going, it almost felt like they didnt know where they were going from episode one and finally figures hit out like halfway through ep 2.

like, if they were playing up the whole kenny arc thing, they really, really needed to establish it from the first one, and the themes between extreme totalitarianism and extreme individualism were not present from the beginning, and the final chose you make (which isnt an acknowledgement of both, necessarily) didnt seem to pay off in that regard.

basically, telltale, spend more time editing/rewriting pls.

pretty good and worth playing though, felt like it had the same rough edges as the wolf among us.

They should have introduced Jane and Luke in Episode 1 and started hammering these themes of competent loneliness or difficult loyalty from there. When for some bewildering reason you decide to kill one of your main symbols and primary villain halfway through the story, your writing is probably a little jacked.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Junkfist posted:

lol of course not. "Forget these people, we can make it on our own! We don't need anyone else! Just you and me, right Jamie? Clem! I mean Clem! gently caress, poo poo!"

There's only one character that, in a PTSD-induced fit of madness, calls Clem the name of a deceased loved one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Accordion Man posted:

Kenny is a bit nuts, but he would never hurt Clem or the baby and he straight up is willing to let them go to live in a safe community without him. He honestly cares about Clem and isn't selfishly keeping her around as a replacement for a dead loved one.

KENNY LITERALLY CALLS YOU DUCK AT ONE POINT IN THE SEASON

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Turtlicious posted:

Remember when Kenny said Lee could pick locks because he is black

Remember when Kenny assumed Mike is exactly like Lee because he is black.

Or when Kenny grabbed his kid and ran away when Sean Greene and Lee were screaming for help.

Or when Kenny constantly escalated the situation in the pharmacy.

Or when Kenny constantly questioned and agitated against Lily's leadership, increasing tensions in the group.

Or when Kenny wanted to let a woman be eaten alive rather than mercy kill her.

Or when Kenny refused to accept that his son was dying, a situation that could have killed the entire group if Lee hadn't talked him down.

I've lost track because that was the point I decided Kenny was pretty much useless as anything other than muscle and mustache.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Honestly, I was okay with killing Arvo both after the gunfight and after the lake. I tried to stop Kenny purely because it should be a clean headshot. No one deserves to get beaten to death.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

THE PWNER posted:

Kenny can do no wrong everything he did is justified automatically. This is both self deprecation and also legitimately what I believe. I was going with him no matter what and I blindly sided with him no matter what. Even still I think that Jane was just as insane as he was and was deliberately pushing him because she wanted Clem for herself or something. I'm just talking about the baby either, she was doing it in the car too.

here's some makeup for your bruises

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
People are acting like Jane walked into the rest stop wearing baby skin boots and picking her teeth with a tiny femur, not the slumped-down and clearly distraught act she was putting on.

And if you didn't immediately catch on to what was happening when she started telling Clem not to interfere, I dunno man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because she kind of did. "Oopsie the babies dead :) it was a accident tho promise" is not a good lie. If she had said that the baby died in the wreck or how she got ambushed in the blizzard and a zombie fell on her and bit Alvin then sure I'd be more sympathetic and angry at Kenny but she walks in and just goes OOPS MY BAD.

This isn't what happens at all. She walks in, clearly distraught and not able to speak. Then when she starts explaining TOO LATE KENNY IS IN RAGE MODE

quote:

But no Jane can do no wrong.

Somebody get me that slowly growing ironicat.

• Locked thread