Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The sidearm is always the first thing I get rid of anyway - it's never worth using, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

Haven't seen VIP mode in a while though

For some reason there's a bunch of European servers that run 24/7 Ambush.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

An Enormous Boner posted:

It seems like it either takes like 30 seconds per round or the entire clock time.

Purely depending on whether the VIP is a stupid idiot who runs towards the enemy or someone intelligent who hangs back, since the enemy team are invariably stupid idiots who run around in circles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It really isn't dated graphically. I mean, it's Source, so it's not exactly going to look like the latest AAA releases, but it's actually really pretty Source.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If there are people reading this thread who actually don't have Insurgency and aren't reading the Steam thread, I'll happily post this: https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=Txft5wFyr34yFv8W

Up to three people can use it, so go hog wild. The Steam thread seems to have mostly reached saturation in that everyone interested has had a chance to grab a key.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Weight affects speed, and heavy armour definitely makes a big difference to your survivability. You can take 3-4 shots before dying with heavy armour, vs. ~1-2 with light armour.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The RPK is even better, since it's ridiculously easy to control on full auto and doesn't need optics.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

I always roll with AP ammo for that reason. Being able to blow through cover is one of the biggest advantages you can have in this game.

AP ammo is honestly such a must-buy that I wish they'd remove it from the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

Sadly, for balance reasons, the RPK has more recoil than the AKM, even without a foregrip.

But less recoil than the M249 when fired full auto (because it has a lower rate of fire), which is the point of comparison here.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 27, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

And yeah, it's a war crime to use it, ha. I always take AP though just for the cover penetration. HP isn't really worth the points unless you've gotten the rest of your gadgets and such, and even then you have to assume that other players also have enough points to start fielding heavy armor. So does it make sense to give up cover penetration for the chance at random limb shots? Probably not.

The ammo types really don't make sense in this game. There's no world in which HP is worth an extra point compared to AP since armour is so plentiful and you don't generally go out of your way to target limbs (never mind the fact that it's pretty counterintuitive to go for limbs to kill faster anyway), and AP doing extra damage through armour means that there's basically no situation in which you don't want AP. I would much rather they remove AP/HP entirely to remove the false choice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why the hell does the smoke glow anyway? I imagine WP smoke is warm, but the NVGs in the game are light amplification, not IR thermals.

e; vv herp.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 29, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

http://insurgency.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Multiplier

There's a breakdown of the damage multipliers, but there's nothing like symthic for comparison

This is still pretty good to know. For example: don't bother going for headshots with most guns, just aim for the torso, because the multiplier is identical.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The MP5 is absolutely ridiculous at pretty much any range where you don't need a 4X to see the people you're shooting at.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
According to http://jballou.com/insurgency/stats.php#ammo AP rounds just flat out do three times as much damage to people as non-AP rounds, which seems really weird.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's kind of silly, since there's absolutely nothing wrong with every class having access to the same basic primary in the form of the M16/AKM (also because those guns are both cheap and super good). :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish they'd fix the flares so they're actually useful as an illumination source.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Slugs actually make the shotguns worse. Just use shot, the ranges are realistic.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

You mean we're not blasting confetti and happy thoughts beyond 3 feet like 99.9% of other video game boomsticks?

Yep. You've got 30+m effective range on the regular shot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The RPG definitely has a bigger AoE radius than the underslung GLs, to the point where you sort of need the rocket to land vaguely in the same postcode as someone to kill them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luceid posted:

It's important to download and install all the anime mods for this game.

Is there a mod that turns everyone into Mobile Suits? Because that would be the only mod worth getting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New patch just hit with two new maps:

quote:

New PVP maps: Tell (Push, Ambush, Strike, Occupy); Station and Station Night (Push, Firefight, Ambush, Strike, Occupy)
New Coop maps: Tell (Checkpoint); Station (Hunt)
New Insurgent Gurkha knife
Updated Coop maps: Peak (Hunt); Heights (Hunt); Market (Hunt, Checkpoint); Revolt (Hunt)

Tell

Station

Features
Added support for Soft Particles (option to enable or disable in Video Settings). This effect improves the volumetric look of various kinds of particles including dust and smoke using a technique called depth feathering.
Matchmaking preferences are now saved from your last session.

Stability Fixes
Fixed some thread safety issues with the main menu HTML that was causing some rare startup crashes.
Fixed an animation-related Linux dedicated server crash.
Fixed a Linux dedicated server crash related to AI nav area checks in Coop.
Re-enabled render batching to improve stability on Revolt.

Improvements
Scope parallax effect has been adjusted so its quicker and never obstructs the center of crosshairs.
New sprint and crawl animations for pistols and grenades.
New knife animations.
In Push and Strike, each team will have access to different classes depending on if they are attacking or defending.
In Strike, both teams will know where the cache is located at the start of the round.
In Hunt, enemies are now more responsive to a cache being blown up, and hunt players at the end more consistently.
The matchmaking process will now ignore servers you have on your server browser blacklist.
Improved overview art for District, Market, Ministry, Revolt, Siege, and Uprising
Separate crosshair texture for Mosin 7x.

Bug Fixes
Fixed being able to skip the bolt sequence on a sniper rifle by hitting reload and quickly switching weapons.
Fixed 7x Scope not being visible on the SKS world model.
Fixed M40 crosshair rendering in front of lens.
Fixed restricted area at SEC spawn on Market skirmish.
Fixed Invisible wall in Sinjar and small displacement seam.
Fixed issue preventing direct impact damage from grenades from working.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mans posted:

Holy poo poo Tell is the craziest map.

In a good or bad way? I've not had a chance to play it yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The M16's single fire doesn't require a foregrip at all, which means you can safely run the M16 with AP ammo and a RDS/Holo (because the ironsights suck) for cheap. If you want to sharpshoot with it, just upgrade the sight to a 2x.

(Also, why is burst fire on the M16 so bad? It's pure, unadulterated garbage. Tap firing on semi-auto fires faster with better accuracy and virtually no recoil. :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

You're right that the M-16 doesn't really benefit from a foregrip (except in the sniper role).

Honestly, I don't think it needs one even if you're using it as a DMR.

As for the autos, yes, absolutely, a foregrip is pretty much a must-have. My basic AKM loadout is foregrip + AP ammo because who needs optics on an AK, seriously?

LogisticEarth posted:

I just did a couple test runs and they have just about the same recoil if you fire "hands off". That is, just click fire and don't use the mouse to control the recoil. My bet is that you're probably compensating with muscle memory for recoil control for each click. When you're using the burst, that fouls it all up. It's not quite full auto, not quite semi, so it's hard to compensate for. I have the same issue and never use any of the burst fires.

Yeah, it's just massively easier to compensate for the recoil while mashing left click than it is to compensate for the recoil on the burst.

• Locked thread